Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Utd released a statement saying that he was leaving on Feb 7th. The Inter deal was signed on Mar 7th. I see no problem with this.

For the record, I don't see a problem with him signing with the other club. Just saying it was not the same as PS.

I was disappointed that our long term leader was snapped signing the contract so happily, but that was his right.

I do think it was a mistake on Moyes part to let him keep the armband though; a man who has already bailed from Moyes project should not then have been asked to lead said project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Bebe for 7 million

his 13 goals this season should mean we get a decent chunk of that back now thankfully.

can see a good few clubs wanting him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

his 13 goals this season should mean we get a decent chunk of that back now thankfully.

can see a good few clubs wanting him now.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I would love to see him make a good career for himself. Not his fault he was bought for that amount in dodgy circumstances. Great to see him doing well this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any possible chance of Rooney being sold this summer? Can see Van Gaal making some sort of statement of intent to the players,poosible Rooney will be the unlucky one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

glued wrote: »
    You're starting to sound like David Moyes now...

11_AgnesSkinner.gif

Why are people moaning saying leaving a club in crisis etc when half of ye want him gone anyway! We need new CB's and we all know Vidic is not right for the prem, the Italian game suits him perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

dahat wrote: »
    Any possible chance of Rooney being sold this summer? Can see Van Gaal making some sort of statement of intent to the players,poosible Rooney will be the unlucky one?

There could be a lot more rebuilding than most people think. With no european games it will be harder to give everyone gametime. The likes of hernandez, welbeck, young, zaha, nani, cleverley and carrick might not fancy waiting around if there not getting games

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

gandroid wrote: »
    Keane was a record at the time but you couldn't say the same about Cantona's transfer.

Cantona's fee was not big money at the time by any measure...£1.2 million in 1992 was cheap as chips and I doubt it was even in the top 20 of transfer deals done that year in England.

Danny Wallace cost the same over 3 years before that in the Summer of '89.

Some 13 years before that, was when Forest signed the first £1 million English footballer Trevor Francis.

It wasn't big money, but neither was it small money. People are holding him up as an example of a player bought cheap. I don't think £1.2m was cheap at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There could be a lot more rebuilding than most people think. With no european games it will be harder to give everyone gametime. The likes of hernandez, welbeck, young, zaha, nani, cleverley and carrick might not fancy waiting around if there not getting games

I'd be happy to see the squad trimmed back a bit. Bring in 3-4 quality players, lose 7-8 maybe even more that aren't up to it or want out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You'd have to think Rooney is somewhat safe but then again we have no idea what Van Gaal will do

• Advertisement

Team was built round RVP, Rooney made waves to move.

team was built round Rooney, RVP looked set to leave.

If LVG builds th team round RVP, Rooney May start getting stroppy again.

Nick Powell a major doubt again for Wigan tonight, the lad seems very very injury proned since he joined us.

Nick Powell a major doubt again for Wigan tonight, the lad seems very very injury proned since he joined us.

Done for drink driving is why he is missing I think.

dahat wrote: »
    Done for drink driving is why he is missing I think.

Yeah, he pleaded guilty to drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Van Gaal would not be afraid to tell Rooney to fcuk off.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Van Gaal would not be afraid to tell Rooney to fcuk off.

Suspect he might myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Independent in England going with Shaw deal 'agreed' and hinges on personal terms - hopefully it goes through rather quickly ... anyone know when England squad meeting up for first time? - i'm assuming if its true the deal will be announced before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

irishfeen wrote: »
    Independent in England going with Shaw deal 'agreed' and hinges on personal terms - hopefully it goes through rather quickly ... anyone know when England squad meeting up for first time? - i'm assuming if its true the deal will be announced before that.

They meet up on the 19th

They meet up on the 19th
    Plenty of time so for Shaw/United/Southampton to agree everything before the player's focus turns to the WC - hopefully LVG, Shaw and maybe another player could be announced within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Yeah, he pleaded guilty to drink driving.

FFS, lets hope thats the one and only mistake like that he makes. Undeniably has talent so it would be a shame to see him throw it away like that.

strange stat -
    7 of the last 8 times that #mufc have failed to win the league, have come in seasons that were followed by major international championship.

since Euro 96 ended, weve only won the league 2 times (2000,2008) on Euro/World Cup years, winning it 8 times in non euro/world cup years(97,99,01,03,07,09,11,13). the only year we failed to win a league in a non wc/euro year was in 2005.
    only 1 of Uniteds 20 league titles have come in a world cup year - USA 1994

little bit weird, but at the same time probably means f*ck all.

• Advertisement

England didn't qualify for U.S.A. 94, just something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Rooney is hard working most of the time, loads of ability, and versatile enough to play in a number of positions. I'd say van gaal will keep him.
    Can't say the same for carrick and cleverly. I suspect both will be out the door if suitable midfielders are bought.

stankratz wrote: »
    England didn't qualify for U.S.A. 94, just something to bear in mind.

i think the consenus around is that our players perhaps have more competitive games to play in these seasons, those likelyhood of injuries is higher.

2010, 2012 and this year were 3 of the worst injury crisis weve ever had and i remember that 1998 was pretty poor also around march and april.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Plenty of time so for Shaw/United/Southampton to agree everything before the player's focus turns to the WC - hopefully LVG, Shaw and maybe another player could be announced within the week.

That would be a good start,hopefully for once this transfer window will go to plan.

That would be a good start,hopefully for once this transfer window will go to plan.
    Tbh if it doesn't go well I think Ed Woodward's position will be untenable - the fans would go fcuking mad and demand his departure if a this was a repeat of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Can someone tell me when it's safe to back on SSN - i dont really want to see any more of City winning the bloody thing? :)

___

It's great to see and read the optimism in here lately about new signings, a new manager etc.
    Certainly beats the doom and gloom for the majority of the last 8/9 months. I'm certain that van Gaal will do a great job, just a relief to be getting proven quality.

• Whats the rumor bouncing around about Xavi?? Isn't he 33??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He played the guts of 40 games this season. Only missed a run of games in February with a hamstring so he did well enough this season.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Whats the rumor bouncing around about Xavi?? Isn't he 33??

Xavi? What???? Where did this come from?

• Xavi? What???? Where did this come from?
    Only spotting it here now, done the ould google... someone mentioned it in work today

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-news-transfer-rumours-3530306

• Advertisement

Whats the rumor bouncing around about Xavi?? Isn't he 33??

Probably be a cheap enough buy I guess, and could help solve our midfield problems for a little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

According to Kevin Palmer (was the first to report our interest a while ago), the deal to sign Luke Shaw is all but agreed according to someone close to the player.

Would be a massive start to the season, replacing a brilliant servant to the club with a player that could be potentially world class with the right guidance.

Edit: and I have just seen that tweet is from 9 hours ago. Been a long day at the office..

there has been talk for months that two offers were already in progress since January and United were sure of completing both. so assuming Shaw is indeed one (and it appears so), who is the second one i wonder?

hard to know why Shaw wasnt available back then especially considering he would have been able to play in champions league unless United didnt offer enough money. surely, if he wanted to play for United, he would have jumped at the chance in january.

i mean, why would an 18 year old, playing for southampton turn down the chance to play for United, at risk of saying "come back in May". United were still in Europe, within 3 points of 4th, still in the Fa Cup when the january window opened.

there has been talk for months that two offers were already in progress since January and United were sure of completing both. so assuming Shaw is indeed one (and it appears so), who is the second one i wonder?

hard to know why Shaw wasnt available back then especially considering he would have been able to play in champions league unless United didnt offer enough money. surely, if he wanted to play for United, he would have jumped at the chance in january.

i mean, why would an 18 year old, playing for southampton turn down the chance to play for United, at risk of saying "come back in May". United were still in Europe, within 3 points of 4th, still in the Fa Cup when the january window opened.

More chance of a game at Southampton in a world cup year, that or Moyes sickened him.

Shaw i would assume was held up due to money,it is the only reason why it didn't go through.

From reading between the lines on Twitter I would wager money that Kroos is coming as well, Redissue seem to have put Shaw and Kroos forward earlier in the year as very likely deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i would assume Southampton told us not in the january window which would be fair enough

all signs point to carvalhio but seems to have gone cold now

Only spotting it here now, done the ould google... someone mentioned it in work today

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-news-transfer-rumours-3530306

we'd have to take him just so we can do one of those stupid chants the Barca fans do.

Xavi, Xavi, Xavi, Xavi, Messi, Messi, Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Can someone tell me when it's safe to back on SSN - i dont really want to see any more of City winning the bloody thing? :)

___

It's great to see and read the optimism in here lately about new signings, a new manager etc.
    Certainly beats the doom and gloom for the majority of the last 8/9 months. I'm certain that van Gaal will do a great job, just a relief to be getting proven quality.

September, i know it was the lesser of the two evils that won our trophy but it's getting on my tits now

Anyone renew their United membership yet lads and ladies??

• Advertisement

Would any of you like to see Lukaku at United? Cant see us bidding ever but a player like him would be great.

Anyone renew their United membership yet lads and ladies??

i dont use the memberships, but ill be renewing my season ticket around the end of May. have a wedding in eastern europe and a holiday to pay for the same week also though :(

Would any of you like to see Lukaku at United? Cant see us bidding ever but a player like him would be great.

would love to see him here, if it meant Welbeck would be sold. same goes for Lallana in, Young out.

but, at the end of the day, before we start looking at any players like the ones i just mentioned, we need 3 or 4 superstar signings first...the rest (ie completely clearing out the deadwood squad players and replacing them with better players) can perhaps come next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

You drunk again? Where is he gonna play exactly?

Deffo. we could use him at right full.

DDG

lukaku-kagawa-mata-nani

lingard-wilson-chico-welbeck

RVP--Rooney

:pac:

i dont use the memberships, but ill be renewing my season ticket around the end of May. have a wedding in eastern europe and a holiday to pay for the same week also though :(
    Yeah I just use the bog standard club membership - just paid for myself and the brothers membership for next year and it comes to £70 inc. postage to Ireland ... ha funding not too good at the minute but its always nice to have to opportunity to get tickets (even to lesser games) if things turn around.

Just out of interest how much is the season ticket ladeen?

I know it was difficult for us all that City won it yesterday. But perhaps this might help :):):)

vadG0KV.jpg

0TSpAfB.jpg

#together

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    You drunk again? Where is he gonna play exactly?

I can see either Hernandez or Welbeck being sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why is there a delay announcing the new manager. Could the club be waiting until after the CL final to see if Ancelotti gets the chop?:confused:

billyhead wrote: »
    Why is there a delay announcing the new manager. Could the club be waiting until after the CL final to see if Ancelotti gets the chop?:confused:

The England squad being announced I suppose would be the number one news today, so nobody else would step on their toes and steal the limelight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Yeah I just use the bog standard club membership - just paid for myself and the brothers membership for next year and it comes to £70 inc. postage to Ireland ... ha funding not too good at the minute but its always nice to have to opportunity to get tickets (even to lesser games) if things turn around.

Just out of interest how much is the season ticket ladeen?

You should look at getting tickets from season ticket holders on here. You'll be able to pick a few up for most games.

You should look at getting tickets from season ticket holders on here. You'll be able to pick a few up for most games.
    Ha its not getting the tickets is the problem at all but d fecking cost of the trip over - hopefully now i'll have enough saved for this year... a trip to the states to pay for first though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement