Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I know it was difficult for us all that City won it yesterday. But perhaps this might help :):):)

vadG0KV.jpg

0TSpAfB.jpg

#together

When compared to United's 2013 parade, it reminds me of this........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

billyhead wrote: »
    Why is there a delay announcing the new manager. Could the club be waiting until after the CL final to see if Ancelotti gets the chop?:confused:

The rumour is this Wednesday could be the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

imagine if we get the van gaal and shaw deal done this week. Would be an amazing beginning to what we expect to be a long summer of hope, rumours and disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RobertKK wrote: »
    The rumour is this Wednesday could be the day.

If we keep hearing a new date every few days, somebody will get it right at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ha its not getting the tickets is the problem at all but d fecking cost of the trip over - hopefully now i'll have enough saved for this year... a trip to the states to pay for first though.

its the reason im sort of dropping my season ticket if i was to go to every home game it would cost me ~£850 for me to travel to manchester would be
    Essex to london liverpool street £18 return
    tube to euston £10 day pass
    london Euston to Manchester £40 reurn

68 *19 = 1292 just on travel and that doesnt include CL/CC/FA Cup Games

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Whats the rumor bouncing around about Xavi?? Isn't he 33??

I suppose Giggs makes him seem young now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

The Mail reporting that Rio is not going to be offered a new contract and will leave United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mufc1993 wrote: »
    The Mail reporting that Rio is not going to be offered a new contract and will leave United.

ya, its all over twitter now, but all coming from that mail report i assume and nothing else.
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Ha its not getting the tickets is the problem at all but d fecking cost of the trip over - hopefully now i'll have enough saved for this year... a trip to the states to pay for first though.

its possible to do games for €60-€100 maximum.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    He played the guts of 40 games this season. Only missed a run of games in February with a hamstring so he did well enough this season.

he was pretty much first choice until he got injured, he has been very good for them and scored 12 goals.

in terms of his injuries, i think its not as clear cut as you are making out.

he started 29 games and came on as a sub then in 13 more and alot of those sub appearances have come in recent months as he was struggling.

tonight is Wigans 63rd competitive game of the season so he has missed a good chunk of , starting less than 50% for a player who was one of their best player while he was fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Bye bye Rio

E8celJg.gif

• Advertisement

this is what the mail are claiming, this is so crazy, it cannot possibly be true.
    It is understood that Old Trafford chief Ed Woodward broke the news to Ferdinand, 35, in the dressing-room following Sunday’s final game at Southampton. Several people were present at the time and expressed surprise that Woodward chose to bring down the curtain on Ferdinand’s 12-year stay at United in such a manner.

The Official Agent™ @_OfficialAgent_ · 2h
    World Exclusive: #MUFC officials have made another contact with #Muller's agent today. Talks have restarted. #vanGaal wants him. #FCB #EPL

Posted that as he seems to be in a fight with someone...

The Official Agent™ @_OfficialAgent_ · 3h
    Everyone unfollow and report @MufcDevilUpdate. He's ever so fake like @indykaila and copies me. See https://twitter.com/_officialagent_/status/465887473545928704 … #Fraud #MUFC

:pac:

Was reading how Liverpool think Muller will move to them, most likely he stays at Munich, but his agent seems to be causing the rumours, he was askedit seems by a Bild reporter if Muller will move to Barcelona and he said no he would not, when asked about United he said no comment.

#fantasyland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

this is what the mail are claiming, this is so crazy, it cannot possibly be true.

What's more crazy is people too really think it happened like that and Rio hasn't tweeted about it !!!

Punishment for all that public tweeting, like rumours before Moyes was sacked, for not supporting the manager.
    Lets keep things public...the revenge of Ed...

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What's more crazy is people too really think it happened like that and Rio hasn't tweeted about it !!!

with woodward involved, anything is possible but on this instance i think even he wouldnt stoop to such stupidity.

anybody interested in seeing the views of him by fanzines such as RedIssue should have a look at their stories on him throughout the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I don't see the problem with telling someone in front of their colleagues that they're finished. I think you're all overreacting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Disappointing end to one of if not the best defenders in the club's history. But perhaps one of the dressing room characters most needed to be removed to give the new guy a chance. He will leave a club legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That agent account has 12.7k followers? People are so gullible. World exclusive news half an hour after a real journalist writes it.

glued wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with telling someone in front of their colleagues that they're finished. I think you're all overreacting...

Rio apparently wanted to stay.

If true, then I see it as Ed doing to Rio, what Rio did to Moyes with the tweets about rumours, and if true then maybe he will see doing stuff in public to others is not nice when it is oneself receiving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Shane St. wrote: »
    Disappointing end to one of if not the best defenders in the club's history. But perhaps one of the dressing room characters most needed to be removed to give the new guy a chance. He will leave a club legend

Wouldn't go that far, i can name 5 defenders now who would have pissed all over Rio.

Glad he's going though, he's past it and is a liability when it comes to social networking

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wouldn't go that far, i can name 5 defenders now who would have pissed all over Rio.

Glad he's going though, he's past it and is a liability when it comes to social networking

Stam, Bruce, Vidic, Foulkes, Pallister.
    And none of them ever got banned for slipping out on a drug test. And none of them wear caps with the number five on it. And none of them are on twitter (probably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    If true, then I see it as Ed doing to Rio, what Rio did to Moyes with the tweets about rumours, and if true then maybe he will see doing stuff in public to others is not nice when it is oneself receiving it.

Yeah, because what we really want is our chief executive to apply playground rules to his business dealings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rio has been a great servant to the club,was a class act at his best,

Time for him to move on and give the younger lads a chance to develop.

Could we see a testimonial for Rio?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

he was pretty much first choice until he got injured, he has been very good for them and scored 12 goals.

in terms of his injuries, i think its not as clear cut as you are making out.

he started 29 games and came on as a sub then in 13 more and alot of those sub appearances have come in recent months as he was struggling.

tonight is Wigans 63rd competitive game of the season so he has missed a good chunk of , starting less than 50% for a player who was one of their best player while he was fit.

He appeared regularly all season, he only turned 20 this season so for him to appear in almost 40 games is excellant coming off an injury last season.

Most if his starts from beginning of the season came as other players were injured. When he missed games in Feb he came back at a time when Wigan has signed Waghorn and Maynard. Rosler, who only took over at end of the 2013 season regarded Powell as a striker and he was competing with Waghorn and Maynard.

Edit: maybe you can tell me what injuries he had that make him injury prone?

And none of them ever got banned for slipping out on a drug test. And none of them wear caps with the number five on it. And none of them are on twitter (probably)

You never even seen Foulkes play ffs, hell you probably never even seen Bruce or Pallister play if you think they were better defenders than Rio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bruce better than ferdinand?? are ye serious!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good riddance.

You never even seen Foulkes play ffs, hell you probably never even seen Bruce or Pallister play if you think they were better defenders than Rio.

Saw Bruce play many a time, buddy. I says he pisses on Rio. You're entitled to your own opinion.

Rio is our greatest ever defender IMO, in 2008 he was the best defender in the world. his goal celebrations no matter who got them for us were always epic.

he was a bit of a twat off the pitch, but his discipline on it was second to none. i think he left himself down this season, but overall his 11 years at the club were excellent and i have great time for him.

think its the right decision for him to go,HOWEVER id rather he stays if Evra is also going as i think that winning mentality of 3 top players going will be difficult to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

ya, its all over twitter now, but all coming from that mail report i assume and nothing else.

its possible to do games for €60-€100 maximum.

How do you do games for 69-100 euro? That wouldn't cover what I stuff down a strippers knickers!

You must float over with only a couple of blocks of lard and a large white sliced to survive on for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If its true about Rio, I will be sad to see him go. He was a great player for us.

Thanks Rio for all the great memories

Saw Bruce play many a time, buddy. I says he pisses on Rio. You're entitled to your own opinion.

Bruce couldn't catch Rio to piss on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Now Chelsea have a £32m bid accepted for Costa. We're in for a crazy summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Surprised that both Vidic and Ferdinand are allowed to leave at the same time. Going to be a big task to replace both of them.

Rio is our greatest ever defender IMO, in 2008 he was the best defender in the world. his goal celebrations no matter who got them for us were always epic.

he was a bit of a twat off the pitch, but his discipline on it was second to none. i think he left himself down this season, but overall his 11 years at the club were excellent and i have great time for him.

think its the right decision for him to go,HOWEVER id rather he stays if Evra is also going as i think that winning mentality of 3 top players going will be difficult to replace

Vidic was the best defender in the world in 2008 - by quite a stretch. And his performances over the years made Rio look a lot better than he was. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

GNev2: So it looks like Rio and Vida allowed to leave at once!!! A conveyor belt has become a cliff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stam and Vidic beats them both.

Rio and Bruce were still quality.

Rio edges Bruce for me.

Bruce couldn't catch Rio to piss on him.

The speed of a defender's feet doesn't solely determine how good they are. McGrath could only run from the knees down and was one of the best in Europe.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    GNev2: So it looks like Rio and Vida allowed to leave at once!!! A conveyor belt has become a cliff!

I'm sure he'll be lamenting the death of good wing play if Nani or Valencia get chucked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bruce never even won a cap for england!!!!

2000-2009 rio was probably the best defender in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I've never actually been to a game. I'd love to get over, but the alcohol does dry up the funds. I was determined to go this season but in hindsight its probably been good that I'm to poor to make the trip over.

Can we all get over to a game next season. We'll make it a group trip from the thread. It'd be class.

Your Airbag and ProF at each other's throats the whole trip over. Mars Bar would have to stand beside them pulling them off (:pac:) each other every 5 mins. We'd arrive and bump into Kew's uncle and there'd be pitchforks et all at his throat asking for where he gets his info. TeamShadowclan would be on a handheld playing FM14 showing us all his ideal Starting XI and we'd probably all stand around just 'thanking' Keno after everything he says.

Mitch would tell us all we're going the wrong way to Old Trafford and offer to show us the right way then someone would pin him up against a wall and demand to know where he found out the information, otherwise it's BS. Then for some reason Aguerroooo would be at the match even though its United playing Spurs or something.

Actually, scratch that i'd rather go on me own :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

So another great servant is leaving and its good riddance etc, shocking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I've never actually been to a game. I'd love to get over, but the alcohol does dry up the funds. I was determined to go this season but in hindsight its probably been good that I'm to poor to make the trip over.

Can we all get over to a game next season. We'll make it a group trip from the thread. It'd be class.

Your Airbag and ProF at each other's throats the whole trip over. Mars Bar would have to stand beside them pulling them off (:pac:) each other every 5 mins. We'd arrive and bump into Kew's uncle and there'd be pitchforks et all at his throat asking for where he gets his info. TeamShadowclan would be on a handheld playing FM14 showing us all his ideal Starting XI and we'd probably all stand around just 'thanking' Keno after everything he says.

Mitch would tell us all we're going the wrong way to Old Trafford and offer to show us the right way then someone would pin him up against a wall and demand to know where he found out the information, otherwise it's BS. Then for some reason Aguerroooo would be at the match even though its United playing Spurs or something.

This part in particular tickled my belly

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

As a Liverpool fan I had to say Rio was immense. One of my favourite defenders even though he played for you guys. He was just unreal and his pace always helped him out. A bit surprised you're letting him and Vidic go in the same season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

And Zerks would be there to capture it all in a gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ha ha very good - I wasn't at a game either, hopefully now this year - i'll be the one pissed in the corner defending Moyes :)

bangkok wrote: »
    bruce never even won a cap for england!!!!

2000-2009 rio was probably the best defender in the world

So what if he didn't get an England cap?? We're talking about United here.

And Cannavaro was the best of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Good call. Hate this crap of denigrating modern day players in comparison to some guys you've never seen play.

Granted Foulkes is rightly a club legend but would he stand up to scrutiny in the modern game, skill wise, fitness, athleticism? Doubtful. Would he be as highly regarded having every game watched and analysed by millions?

Easier to be a legend when playing primarily against UK players too.

Giles and Dunphy do this all the time too. They had the audacity to proclaim once that Ronaldo could not be compared to Maradona because he was selfish and didn't think of the team. Maradona always did apparently. This the guy who spent seasons coked out of his head. Brainless.

Vidic was the best defender in the world in 2008 - by quite a stretch. And his performances over the years made Rio look a lot better than he was. IMO

you are mixing up 2008 and 2009 seasons. Rio made the fifa world 11 in 2008, Vidic made it in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'l be well up for a meet up next season.

Something to look into during summer maybe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement