Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chelsea with Costa will have me worried all summer now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

And I'm not saying good riddance. He has been a good servant. But annoyed me a lot over the years too. Really annoyed me this season. And he's well past it now. It's time for him to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Rio was by far one of the best defenders i have seen in my life time. Just a shame his career at utd had to end with the form he was in. A loyal devil he was and you could tell despite some of his performances that he still loved the club to bits. Always loved the fact that he would run the entire length of the pitch to celebrate with his team mates if there was a goal. My favourite rio moment was him scoring the late winner in sir alex's last game at old trafford. A bullet that was. What a beast!!!

Nice having u rio. Gave us some great memories

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rio has released a statement,just heard the end of it on SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sad to see both Vidic and Rio going, easily two of the best defenders to ever play for Utd.

• Advertisement

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Good call. Hate this crap of denigrating modern day players in comparison to some guts you've never seen play.

Granted Foulkes is rightly a club legend but would he stand up to scrutiny in the modern game, skill wise, fitness, athleticism? Doubtful. Would he be as highly regarded having every game watched and analysed by millions?

Easier to be a legend when playing primarily against UK players too.

Giles and Dunphy do this all the time too. They had the audacity to proclaim once that Ronaldo could not be compared to Maradona because he was selfish and didn't think of the team. Maradona always did apparently. This the guy who spent seasons coked out of his head. Brainless.

He won a European cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'l be well up for a meet up next season.

Something to look into during summer maybe

Someone get Kate Upton on the phone tell her she's got a meet up planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Rio Statement -
    I have thought long and hard over the last few months about my future, and after 12 fantastic years playing, for what I regard as the best club in the world, I have decided the time is right for me to move on. I joined #MUFC in the hope of winning trophies, and never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined how successful we would be during my time here. There have been so many highlights, playing alongside some great players who have become good friends, winning my first Premier League title and also that fantastic night in Moscow are memories that I will cherish forever.

Circumstances didn’t allow for me to say goodbye the way I would have liked but I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my teammates, staff, the club & the fans for an unbelievable 12 yrs that I’ll never forget. I am feeling fit and healthy, ready for a new challenge and looking forward to whatever the future holds for me.
    Bye Bye Rio :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ElChe32 wrote: »

Rock scissor paper best of 5 to decide who gets to sit next to her whole game.

Actually let's have Royal Rumble last man wins ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

He won a European cup.

Yes he did. He played a handful of ties to do so.

He did not play in a league where 60% of the players are foreign imports, some of the highest quality. Top leagues now are truly world elite level. Not so in the 50's and 60's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the transition has well and truely started, people think it started Moyes came but its only really starting now.

there is some hole in our defence to be filled now, replacing them wont be easy and i think we will need at least 3 new defenders into the squad now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So what are we thinking, a big name CB signing in the summer? Or will Smalling/Jones/Evans take the reigns and we sign someone behind them in the pecking order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mars Bar wrote: »
    GNev2: So it looks like Rio and Vida allowed to leave at once!!! A conveyor belt has become a cliff!

God anytime Neville talks about united these days he just annoys me

On to rio great player for us it is time for him to go but him and vidic were an amazing partnership best I've seen at united. Can only dream to have another one like them again.

Yes he did. He played a handful of ties to do so.

He did bit play in a league where 60% of the players are foreign imports, some of the highest quality. Top leagues now are truly world elite level. Not so in the 50's and 60's.

So, Best, Law and Charlton were just decent players in a limited league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Mars Bar wrote: »
    GNev2: So it looks like Rio and Vida allowed to leave at once!!! A conveyor belt has become a cliff!

I used to like Neville. Does anyone have that video where he bashed De Gea after that Spurs performance?

He went down a lot in my estimation after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The part in particular I'm interested in is
    Circumstances didn’t allow for me to say goodbye the way I would have liked but I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my teammates, staff, the club & the fans for an unbelievable 12 yrs that I’ll never forget. I am feeling fit and healthy, ready for a new challenge and looking forward to whatever the future holds for me.

Surely Rio and Evra even deserved a bit more recognition.

So what are we thinking, a big name CB signing in the summer? Or will Smalling/Jones/Evans take the reigns and we sign someone behind them in the pecking order?

Evans and Jones are too injury prone. Allowing Vidic and Rio to leave must mean there's a centre half coming in.

Timmyctc wrote: »

They deserved a proper send off. It's a bit strange how it's happened.
    Maybe Giggs was trying to get them new contracts and someone (LVG) said no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

See ya Rio, legend.

Out of Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra it's the latter who will be missed most by the team. He's had his off days this season but he was definitely a grade above Feridnand and Vidic this year.

• Advertisement

BndjbApCIAAFKk3.jpg

End of an Era at Manchester United - Best of luck lads, thanks for all the memories! #legends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wonder where Rio will be off too? Wouldn't be surprised to see him in MLS next season, playing soccer ball!

Timmyctc wrote: »

the amount of PR disasters this club has done since Woodward took over is simply astounding.

the other side is perhaps Rio is being f*cked out for his role in the Moyes player revolt and Fergie had some input in that aspect.

im telling ye lads, theres a few more bad moment ahead before things start to get better, the job at hand now is absolutely huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I can see either Hernandez or Welbeck being sold.

Yeah but where do they play? The bench. So Lukaku is gonna join us to sit on the bench. Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

So, Best, Law and Charlton were just decent players in a limited league?

Obviously not. My point was putting players you never saw play in all time list against top modern players given the huge rise in key standards of athleticism, fitness, speed, tactics, competition etc. is dumb. Can you stand over Foulkes being better than Rio on anything other than sentiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

While I think it's the right time for him to go, I'm really not impressed with how the club have treated him. His testimonial was literally just a regular friendly game and then he doesn't even get a send off at OT. He's a club legend and deserved better in my opinion.

the amount of PR disasters this club has done since Woodward took over is simply astounding.

the other side is perhaps Rio is being f*cked out for his role in the Moyes player revolt and Fergie had some input in that aspect.

im telling ye lads, theres a few more bad moment ahead before things start to get better, the job at hand now is absolutely huge.
    It really has to be done Homer though- if we want to return to the top... knowing when players have dropped below the level is needed to keep United at the top is vital to ensure future success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

I would have preferred to see Rio stay for 1 more season.With Evra and vidic leaving an awful amount of experience is gone.I presume a CB will be bought now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Great servant to the club, had his moments off the pitch but gave his all on it. So long Rio.

• Advertisement

Why exactly is it huge now? Rio probably deserved to get f*cked out. And he needed to be replaced anyway.
    And by bad moments do you mean that other players that aren't up to it get forced out? Or players who never tried a leg for Moyes get their comeuppance?

Fergie might have had a hand in it. But I would say it's far more likely that this is the work of VG. He's probably been watching our games for months now and striking names off a list.
    You wanted a proper manager lads. Here's what a proper manager does. He acts ruthlessly, just like Fergie did back in the day.

Vidic was the best defender in the world in 2008 - by quite a stretch. And his performances over the years made Rio look a lot better than he was. IMO

That is pure an utter tripe. Ferdinand at the top of his game was a world class centre half. What Vidic had in bravery, Ferdinand had in athleticism. They complimented each other very well. They wouldn't of each been as great in their own right without each other. They were the best CB partnership of the Premier League era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

ElChe32 wrote: »

She's on her way
    article-2504652-195FB34000000578-268_634x607.jpg

Obviously not. My point was putting players you never saw play in all time list against top modern players given the huge rise in key standards of athleticism, fitness, speed, tactics, competition etc. is dumb. Can you stand over Foulkes being better than Rio on anything other than sentiment?

Charlton, Best and Law are always in those lists of all time greats - that also include modern players.
    And if Foulkes had grown up in more recent times he would have been able to avail of modern fitness techniques, better diet, and more cultured coaching and a broader range of opposition to play against and would most likely be an absolute beast.
    it works both ways.

glued wrote: »
    That is pure an utter tripe. Ferdinand at the top of his game was a world class centre half. What Vidic had in bravery, Ferdinand had in athleticism. They complimented each other very well. They wouldn't of each been as great in their own right without each other. They were the best CB partnership of the Premier League era.

Is it now my turn to say that your opinion is utter tripe? This is lovely.

Why exactly is it huge now? Rio probably deserved to get f*cked out. And he needed to be replaced anyway.
    And by bad moments do you mean that other players that aren't up to it get forced out? Or players who never tried a leg for Moyes get their comeuppance?

Fergie might have had a hand in it. But I would say it's far more likely that this is the work of VG. He's probably been watching our games for months now and striking names off a list.
    You wanted a proper manager lads. Here's what a proper manager does. He acts ruthlessly, just like Fergie did back in the day.

as bad as our play has been this season, our goals conceeded was exactly the same as last season....the problems were elsewhere on the pitch.

now, as it stands we have 3 defenders that probably need to be replaced, meaning our biggest problems may not be properly addressed.

could be a reason why the likes of Lawrence and Wilson were brought in last week out of nowhere.

ill put it to you this way, we had to play carrick in CB this year even with 5 center halves....as it stands, we have 3 for next season. i certainly would rather Rio in the squad next season as 4th or 5th choice CB as opposed to having to play Carrick there.

i guess Michael Keane will be moved up now to 5th choice, with some top class CB coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Rio statement is a bit weird, no?

Did he get moved on quicker and surprised everyone including himself ....if so then you might have found the leader of the Moyes revolt.

as bad as our play has been this season, our goals conceeded was exactly the same as last season....the problems were elsewhere on the pitch.

now, as it stands we have 3 defenders that probably need to be replaced, meaning our biggest problems may not be properly addressed.

could be a reason why the likes of Lawrence and Wilson were brought in last week out of nowhere.

Evra was at fault for quite a few goals this season. Rio didn't cover himself in glory either.
    But none of this matters. Rio, Vidic and Evra are well past it. We needed to replace them last year. This had to happen.

I'd go for two defenders. A CB and a LB. Smalling deserves a shot now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

s.welstead wrote: »
    She's on her way

Ya I'm just off the phone to her there.

She says she loves me and wants to marry me and she getting first flight over.

Sorry about that lads.

s.welstead wrote: »
    She's on her way
    Oh god a couple of posters who don't like looking at her will freak out :P

i guess Michael Keane will be moved up now to 5th choice, with some top class CB coming in.

Yeah, I could see that happening.

We also have to examine the roles of other players in the soft goals we give away. Often the midfield offers no protection to the defenders. How many times have we seen players run straight through our midfield and score goals.

Better midfield organisation and all round work ethic will help our new defence no end.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Rio statement is a bit weird, no?

Did he get moved on quicker and surprised everyone including himself ....if so then you might have found the leader of the Moyes revolt.

Maybe VanGaal decided to have a phone conversation with Moyes before officially taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Conflicted about Rio. On one hand, he is not the player he once was and he has lost an awful lot of pace. His reactions just don't appear to be what they once were either. Last season I expected him to retire when his contract ran out this year. For the player he has been its not right to see him essentially chucked out without a proper send off.

On the other hand, he has acted like a child this year. The twitter swipes at Moyes were ridiculous. The stuff about how the team was announced too. I lost a lot of respect for Rio because of that. In that sense I can understand the club doing things this way.

At the end of the day, neither party acted properly.

Ya I'm just off the phone to her there.

She says she loves me and wants to marry me and she getting first flight over.

Sorry about that lads.
    She wasn't saying that last night :D whoop whoop

Yeah, I could see that happening.

We also have to examine the roles of other players in the soft goals we give away.

we conceded the same number of goals last season and plenty of soft goals too, but still won the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

Evans and Jones are too injury prone. Allowing Vidic and Rio to leave must mean there's a centre half coming in.

Garay probably???

we conceded the same number of goals last season and plenty of soft goals too, but still won the league.

Yeah but you don't want to keep doing it... Some times you can get away with it. Sometimes you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

deccy15 wrote: »
    Garay probably???

We must have signed him about 4 times now

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few go in the coming week. It would be a very clever tactic by VG. Get rid of the fan favourites before he arrives. Most of the fans won't blame him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

£27m would make Shaw the second most expensive fullback ever behind Dani Alves. Crazy fee for a fullback, especially for one that isn't the finished article and we have no idea how he'll progress. The inflation on young English players is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If we don't then someone will. No point in worrying about prices anymore unless its a decent size of our budget, which seems unlikely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement