Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

deccy15 wrote: »
    Garay probably???

not many options left now is there? the risk now again is that with all the defensive departures, our other areas as usual wont be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Have we any young lads who could cover if we only sign one new CB? Evans and Jones do pick up their fair share of knocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ShaneU wrote: »
    £27m would make Shaw the second most expensive fullback ever behind Dani Alves. Crazy fee for a fullback, especially for one that isn't the finished article and we have no idea how he'll progress. The inflation on young English players is ridiculous.

Shaw will be world class. With some players you just know, even at such a young age. You can come back in a few years and quote this post if I'm wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

not many options left now is there? the risk now again is that with all the defensive departures, our other areas as usual wont be fixed.

Mangala?

Saw Bruce play many a time, buddy. I says he pisses on Rio. You're entitled to your own opinion.

Bruce was a legend, I think he scored 19 goals one season and him a defender! Someone can verify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

KH25 wrote: »
    Mangala?

No way will Utd snatch him away from City.

Also thats a real complicated third party deal too. City will be worked hard to get that deal done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We have been saying that with no Europe, we could see players leave and not need direct replacements.

Personally, I think Smalling, jones and one CB, along with a kid from the academy, could still be grand next season, even without The duo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What you think rios next move will be ? A rap duet with lethal bizzle perhaps ? Or is he more a dappy from n-dubz kinda guy ?

Anyway not suprised hes gone after the way he spoke out against moyes and his twitter nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rio was and still is a bit of attention seeking media whore but there's no doubting his contribution over the years. He's been brilliant and I think he hasn't got the recognition he deserved. He's easily been one of the best, if not the best, defenders of the last decade or so.

• Advertisement

Thanks to Rio for his service to the club. I admired him greatly as a player, his social media exploits left a lot to be desired though and for me tarnished his reputation as a professional greatly.

Still, what a fúcking CB he was, legend in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Very interesting from ITV - Just shows how much we slipped in the space of 12 months.

article_img.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Bruce was a legend, I think he scored 19 goals one season and him a defender! Someone can verify that!

90/91 season. 19 goals in the league alone. I guess he wouldn't piss on Rio though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Was looking at the English team selection specifically their centre backs and the inclusion of Gary Cahill got me wondering what defenders can be picked up from a English team that united could purchase somewhat cheap....

Cahill proved to be a very good purchase for Chelsea but I'm struggling to think of a player any top club side could pick up...for some reason Williams of Swansea keeps popping into my head, an apparent target for Arsenal last season, but I know he wouldn make the grade at united....maybe lovern would be a good punt for us, or even Vertongon from spurs if he became available, jagielka to... I struggle to think of quality defenders from the English league we could realistically pick up an do a game for us.

Alternatively does anyone know of any cheap foreign defenders that could be picked up, vidic and kompany both fantastic players bought for ridiculously low prices? the likes I Hummels , Garay etc would cost 18mil plus.. Is anyone aware of good European alternatives?

Chelsea signing Zouma has me a bit jealous (purely based on my football manager career, in fairness I still maintain I discovered Lukaku before Chelsea :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

90/91 season. 19 goals in the league alone. I guess he wouldn't piss on Rio though. :rolleyes:

I'd be annoyed by your silly little smilie there if I actually thought for one second that you had a clue what you were talking about.

That you think Steve Bruce was a better defender than Rio Ferdinand doesn't surprise me in the least, its on a par with the majority of your opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

I think it's probably unrealistic to hope that every area we need fixed is fully sorted this summer. If we got our defense fully sorted and at least 1 top class CM this summer i'd be ok with that.

Is Garay on record lately as saying Moyes blocked his move to United or is that untrue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Why are some of you posting messages to Rio like he's dead and he's reading your post from heaven???? :)

"Thanks Rio, you are a club legend and will never be forgotten."

I'm delighted. Evra next please. Loads of new players for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

19 goals? Is that true?

If so that's outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

19 goals? Is that true?

If so that's outstanding

Just looked it up 13 in the league 4 in Europe and I think 2 in one of the cup leagues

I'd be annoyed by your silly little smilie there if I actually thought for one second that you had a clue what you were talking about.

That you think Steve Bruce was a better defender than Rio Ferdinand doesn't surprise me in the least, its on a par with the majority of your opinions.

The oracle has spoken.

Big season coming up for Jones, Evans and Smalling. For the summer, I'd be happy with one addition at CB with the option of another in January if things aren't working out.

For me, this summer is all about LB and CM.

• Advertisement

19 goals? Is that true?

If so that's outstanding

He was on penalties that year.

(7 penalties scored, 12 goals from play is still very impressive)

And keep your petty insults to yourself! It's not my problem you can't handle a simple bit of f**king banter!! And I'm entitled to my opinion. Bruce is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I will throw it out there that if Smalling gets chance at CB for United he will be a hit.

I will throw it out there that if Smalling gets chance at CB for United he will be a hit.

I'd agree. Looks a fine player. Has suffered because he's been shifted to right back too often. Himself and Jones are starting to go the way of O'Shea. Smalling will be beast for us if he gets a good run in the team alongside a top class CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And keep your petty insults to yourself! It's not my problem you can't handle a simple bit of f**king banter!! And I'm entitled to my opinion. Bruce is a legend.

Keep it civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think half of them were penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If it actually happened that Rio was informed he was finished at Utd after Saints game in dressingroom it is an awful indictment of the people skills of senior executive at club.
    That bodes very very badly for our summers transfer dealings prospects.....any player thinking of signing on will think 'hold on if they do that to a club legend...what else could they do to me?'.

He has all the capability to be, hopefully he gets an extended run there next season.

Has to be said though, its hilarious that him and Jones are going to the world cup! Performance wise they most certainly do not deserve their places, but I guess they benefit from the perception that they can cover the full back position as well as centre back.

so, if we wind the clock back 12 months, our squad had the following players that that have now left.

Fabio.
    Vidic.
    Rio.
    Anderson

the following 3 at least look certain to leave.

Evra,
    Giggs,
    Nani

of course, we could be left with the scenario that our midfield is so s*it, Van Gaal will give Ando a go at least until september or we nobody may want him - he only played 8 games for Fiorentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Southampton have rejected Manchester United's £27m bid for Luke Shaw. [Guardian] #MUFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

There has to be a new CB coming in then. Exciting times. Jones/Evans/Smalling all good but one world class addition would make such a difference.

If it actually happened that Rio was informed he was finished at Utd after Saints game in dressingroom it is an awful indictment of the people skills of senior executive at club.
    That bodes very very badly for our summers transfer dealings prospects.....any player thinking of signing on will think 'hold on if they do that to a club legend...what else could they do to me?'.

I'm guessing if he played a part in Moyes sacking the players coming in will look it as the club putting their foot down

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Charlton, Best and Law are always in those lists of all time greats - that also include modern players.
    And if Foulkes had grown up in more recent times he would have been able to avail of modern fitness techniques, better diet, and more cultured coaching and a broader range of opposition to play against and would most likely be an absolute beast.
    it works both ways.

We re not arguing about Best, Law or Charlton are we? It's Foulkes.

We know Rio did it at the very highest level in the modern era. I believe it to be of a higher standard. We have no idea if Foulkes given similar training, diet, competition etcetera could have done it. It's conjecture. He may not have had the ability, speed, disciple yet people are happy to lump him into a list of centre halves that are better that Rio. They don't know nor can they. It's pure sentiment.

He was on penalties that year.

(7 penalties scored, 12 goals from play is still very impressive)

think he scored 11 from the penalty spot that season, its a club record.

Cantona, then Irwin took over.

Southampton holding out for 30 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Bruce was a legend in every sense, and people loved his tenacity, bravery and leadership. However he was limited with pace, reading of the game and ability on the ball. He was aided immensely by the superior Pallister beside him. Bruce was excellent but not near Rio's level.
    The speed of a defender's feet doesn't solely determine how good they are. McGrath could only run from the knees down and was one of the best in Europe.

Are you suggesting McGrath was slow? Because thats the biggest nonsense ive seen tonight. McGrath was insanely quick for a centre half, and that was right through his career. Its what always got him out of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Little OT but does anyone know any decent lists on twitter for football?

The rejection seems to be like wildfire on twitter but I can't see where the guardian has actually said it.

Hococop wrote: »

What's the max they could realistically ask for? £30m with potential to reach £35m with incentives? Can't pay more than that.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »

Woodward will probably wait a few weeks, then come back with a £20million bid.

irishfeen wrote: »
    The rejection seems to be like wildfire on twitter but I can't see where the guardian has actually said it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/12/rio-ferdinand-leaves-manchester-united-luke-shaw?CMP=twt_gu

Aodhagan wrote: »
    What's the max they could realistically ask for? £30m with potential to reach £35m with incentives? Can't pay more than that.

30 is the max I'd go after that I'd go for coentrao

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    We re not arguing about Best, Law or Charlton are we? It's Foulkes.

We know Rio did it at the very highest level in the modern era. I believe it to be of a higher standard. We have no idea if Foulkes given similar training, diet, competition etcetera could have done it. It's conjecture. He may not have had the ability, speed, disciple yet people are happy to lump him into a list of centre halves that are better that Rio. They don't know nor can they. It's pure sentiment.

You believing it, doesnt make it so.
    A point was made about players from that era not being able to contend with players of the modern era. So the point was perfectly valid about Charlton, Best and Law.
    And it's not pure sentiment. It wasn't a different sport back then, ya know. And it's also conjecture to say that because he played 50 years ago he wouldn't cut it in modern times.
    And any footballer or sporting person would have benefited from modern diet and training. Why wouldn't they????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Little OT but does anyone know any decent lists on twitter for football?

Have a look at the football list I have, it's decent but I leave out a few popular ones cos they annoy me. I think Mitch has a good list too.

• Advertisement

You believing it, doesnt make it so.
    A point was made about players from that era not being able to contend with players of the modern era. So the point was perfectly valid about Charlton, Best and Law.
    And it's not pure sentiment. It wasn't a different sport back then, ya know. And it's also conjecture to say that because he played 50 years ago he wouldn't cut it in modern times.
    And any footballer or sporting person would have benefited from modern diet and training. Why wouldn't they????

I like this logic, so in my opinion David Sadler was better than Christiano Ronaldo.

Still very wierd that The Guardian's official twitter page's doesn't seem to have posted the Shaw rejection story ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If its true that Chelsea have Diego Costa signed its tremendous work by them
    If they get Lukaku back as backup to him and offload Torres and Etoo we will need to get our act together and sign some serious quality in summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It's bad if it's true alright.

There's a right way to do things - He should have been told subtly that it's game over and then a suitable statement from both sides agreeing to call it a day should have been issued.

Like him or loath him (and I'm somewhere in the middle), he has been a great servant and a part of some wonderful times.

I like this logic, so in my opinion David Sadler was better than Christiano Ronaldo.

You're entitled to your opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement