Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I like this logic, so in my opinion David Sadler was better than Christiano Ronaldo.

Foulkes and Rio is a legitmate comparison.
    Sadler and Ronaldo is not.
    A better comparison would be George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo.
    Would Best be able to cut it in the modern game? Would he have been better if he'd stayed off the booze, had a healthy diet and world class training regimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

30m for luke shaw will be too much..set a dangerous precedent for other signings eg. 50m for kroos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Foulkes and Rio is a legitmate comparison.
    Sadler and Ronaldo is not.
    A better comparison would be George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo.
    Would Best be able to cut it in the modern game? Would he have been better if he'd stayed off the booze, had a healthy diet and world class training regimes?

I'm entitled to my opinion. David Sadler is a legend.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

lalalalala I win.

wadacrack wrote: »
    30m for luke shaw will be too much..set a dangerous precedent for other signings eg. 50m for kroos

I would be as fiscally prudent as most, but I'm actually alright with paying that much. If he is the real deal then it is worth paying the money.

I wouldn't spend half that on somebody in their late twenties like Baines, but an 18 year old who could be world class? Its worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

This is where we are gambling we overpay for shaw we will more than likely overpay for all players we get, we say no and we risk another bad transfer season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Just my opinion...Brucey was a fantastic leader and had a great heart but was limited technically. Rio is more of a ball playing centre half and is probably closer to Gary Pallister in terms of style.

I get what some people are saying about Ferdinand - They equate being a great defender with Tony Adams/Steve Bruce/John Terry/Nemanja Vidic-esque physicality but the name of the game is stopping goals which Ferdinand was able to do with his pace. However, once his pace deserted him I think that he was in trouble whereas other more "traditional" defenders could get by with guile and innate reading of the game.

As an aside Jaap Stam was in my view the perfect centre half...he had Ferdinand-esque pace and was also a proper hard man but could also play the ball and read the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

jeez if southampton don't accept 27m for shaw then we're gonna have to some massive spending this summer for fully established quality players.

jeez if southampton don't accept 27m for shaw then we're gonna have to some massive spending this summer for fully established quality players.

The official line from Southampton is that he's not for sale. That line has not changed at all this week. The report stated this. No need to panic just yet.
    Panic when you see official statement saying that an official bid has been rejected.

• Advertisement

Just my opinion...Brucey was a fantastic leader and had a great heart but was limited technically. Rio is more of a ball playing centre half and is probably closer to Gary Pallister in terms of style.

I get what some people are saying about Ferdinand - They equate being a great defender with Tony Adams/Steve Bruce/John Terry/Nemanja Vidic - esque physicality but the name of the game is stopping goals which Ferdinand was able to do with his pace. However, once his pace deserted him I think that he was in trouble whereas other more "traditional" defenders could get by with guile and innate reading of the game.

As an aside Jaap Stam was in my view the perfect centre half...he had Ferdinand - esque pace and was also a proper hard man but could also play the ball and read the game.

Good post. And I'd agree. Stam was sensational. Had everything. It was tragic that he was cast aside by fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'd be annoyed by your silly little smilie there if I actually thought for one second that you had a clue what you were talking about.

That you think Steve Bruce was a better defender than Rio Ferdinand doesn't surprise me in the least, its on a par with the majority of your opinions.

They had very different styles of defending, Pally would be more comparable to Rio, Vidic more so Bruce.

Gary Pallister was great with the ball at his feet, at reading the game, and though he always looked knackered had a tremendous engine

Bruce was a destroyer, they were the perfect foil for each other, again very much like Rio and Vida, they complimented each others particular skill set very well.

Nothing mysterious about the Rio statement to me, of course he would have preferred to say good bye in different circumstances, look at the season we have just had ffs!

He has been an amazing servant to the club, at one point he was imo the best defender in the world and will be a huge presence lost in the dressing room, time for others to step up to the mantle now and lead the club to further glory.

He has had his moments where he has left himself down, but he is human.

Wish him all the best for the future

kryogen wrote: »
    Nothing mysterious about the Rio statement to me, of course he would have preferred to say good bye in different circumstances, look at the season we have just had ffs!

I suspect he means that he would have preferred to play the game at Old Trafford instead of the Southampton away game, say goodbye to the fans properly. He earned a speech every bit as much as Vidic did.

If Vidic, Evra and Rio are all going that could have been highlighted at the final home game, they were integral parts of one of the greatest club defences ever. Instead they have been pushed aside somewhat, its a shame really.

I will throw it out there that if Smalling gets chance at CB for United he will be a hit.

If he is played centre back, not ****ed about the place, played week in week out, through the sticky patches as well as the sunshine, he will be world class, a ready made Ferdinand already at the club, he has shown he has it in him, it is just about getting there consistently now and being developed properly in his natural position

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Good post. And I'd agree. Stam was sensational. Had everything. It was tragic that he was cast aside by fergie.

Fergie admits it was one of his biggest mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Hococop wrote: »

not his biggest though...

Hococop wrote: »

And it was. I was a big fan of Stam and I was crushed that he was just dumped out of the club like that. And it was a decision that hurt us in the years that followed.

Anyone remember the Ireland - Holland game soon after that. There was a shot of Keane and Stam chatting in the tunnel. Stam looked heartbroken. Never forget it.

paulbok wrote: »
    not his biggest though...

What was?

people thought 25 mil was crazy money for rooney at the time seems like a bargain 10 years later sometimes its worth taking the risk with a young player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

RUMOUR: Pochettino has told Cortese that he will leave if Southampton sell Shaw. Also strong rumours that the bid from United was leaked by Cortese too.

I've actually heard the second part to that rumour a few times now. It would explain why the bid didn't come out through traditional sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

And it was. I was a big fan of Stam and I was crushed that he was just dumped out of the club like that. And it was a decision that hurt us in the years that followed.

Anyone remember the Ireland - Holland game soon after that. There was a shot of Keane and Stam chatting in the tunnel. Stam looked heartbroken. Never forget it.

Every Irish sports fan who was alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Southampton rejecting the bid could be just part of the process. They will want Shaw to put in a transfer request.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

We are in such desperate need of reinforcements in so many key positions that we will have no choice but to pay extortionate prices to get the players we need.

It's nothing short of disgraceful that the club have let it get this bad, particularly our options in centre midfield.

As the old saying goes, you reap what you sow.

I sincerely hope we have the majority of our business done before the WC starts. After the WC ends, there is only 6 weeks left until close of the transfer window. There is no excuse for us to be scrambling to do business with a few weeks remaining.

Getting Shaw wrapped up this early would be a great start.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Every Irish sports fan who was alive?

Anyone remember that particular instant during the coverage for that particular Ireland - Holland match?

Better? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Is there any youth player coming through that could play right back next season as back up to rafael or will smalling/jones stay as cover?

• Advertisement

Is there any youth player coming through that could play right back next season as back up to rafael or will smalling/jones stay as cover?

Varela. Maybe Janko...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What was?

Moyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Moyes?

The glazers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

GSPfan wrote: »
    Yeah but where do they play? The bench. So Lukaku is gonna join us to sit on the bench. Seriously?

RVP wont play every game with his fitness, anyway I said we're not or ever will bid for him I just like him as a player, chillax the cacks there.

rooney was a striker . LB is a different role.30m could be neara wrold record fee for a full back. Id prefer we went for siquera of benfica much cheaper and a quality players

• Advertisement

From what i have seen varela has looked good at RB

We've coughed up nigh on £500m in relation to the debt since the Glazers took over. With that in mind, I couldn't care less whether we pay £27m or £32m for Luke Shaw. The main thing is that we get him.

Lowballing clubs and making derisory offers will just annoy people and make it more difficult to get the players that we so desperately need. We need to accept that we're going to have to pay a little over the odds this summer, especially given the lack of Champions League football on offer next season.

Worst case scenario Woodward can just do what he does best and stick the new signings' images on lunchboxes in Uganda to make up the shortfall.

This summer is absolutely not the time to nickel and dime other clubs.

I suspect he means that he would have preferred to play the game at Old Trafford instead of the Southampton away game, say goodbye to the fans properly. He earned a speech every bit as much as Vidic did.

If Vidic, Evra and Rio are all going that could have been highlighted at the final home game, they were integral parts of one of the greatest club defences ever. Instead they have been pushed aside somewhat, its a shame really.

I asked at the time about Evra alright, nowhere in sight for the final home game, thought it was odd, someone said he was sick, maybe the decision has only been taken in the last 24-48 hours for definite though so he wont get the chance now to say goodbye in a home game?

Was a speech necessary from Vidic really? Is a speech necessary? I dunno, I will think about that a bit more before forming a definite opinion on it, but the speech thing initially wouldnt worry me and I didnt find the Vidic one particularly significant to my life. Players can say goodbye in many ways, taking a last ovation from the crowd I get, players like Evra, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, they all deserve one last hurrah in front of the home fans.

Sadly it doesnt always happen for various reasons

How many other departing players have done speeches before? Did Scholes do one either of his two times retiring? Becks didnt when he was leaving, Keane, Bruce? Pallister? Irwin? etc

How many do give speeches?

If Rio was pushed aside by being left out of the final home game then the blame would lie with Giggs surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We need four players. The squad needs improvement. A CB, a LB and two CMs. Van Gaal isn't going to bring in anything more than that unless he doesn't like the youth talent coming through. But I'd say we'll get max 4 first team players.

a player i wouldnt mind us going for Sissoko of newcastle. Beast in midfield playing out of position for newcastle. Would add power to our midfield.

rooney was a striker . LB is a different role.30m could be neara wrold record fee for a full back. Id prefer we went for siquera of benfica much cheaper and a quality players

30million for Rio was unreal back in the day too, imagine that fee these days? Relative to common transfers back then for a 23 year old centre back

Turned out ok

If Shaw developed as everyone seems to think, it solves left back for 10+ years

a player i wouldnt mind us going for Sissoko of newcastle. Beast in midfield playing out of position for newcastle. Would add power to our midfield.

According to Liverpool fans he would cost us 1 billion.

United being linked with Barcelona's former Arsenal player Alex Song...

Hmmm...not sure about that one. Potentially a good signing but for some reason I'm not convinced.

EDIT: My issue is not that he wouldn't represent an improvement on what we have. He would. I'm just not convinced that he's "world class".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Hearing Phil Neville and Chris Woods have been let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I think I seen somewhere in recent days that Rio's releasing a book after the World Cup. It should make for interesting reading I'd imagine if its a truly honest account, particularly the final chapters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

dubmick wrote: »

Seen a few tweets on that. Seems to be doing the rounds at the LMA awards.

I think a high profile signing in midfield a creative one ie. Kroos or someone similar with a more athletic type centre midfielder ie. sissoko(decent price) song or maybe carvalho( he would cost alot coming from portugal). Paying 30m for a LB is madness to me.Fabio Contraeo could be an option. Siquera of benfica is on loan from Granada he can be got for cheap and has been linked with madrid in the past .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dubmick wrote: »

Hopefully more to come

kryogen wrote: »
    Was a speech necessary from Vidic really? Is a speech necessary?

No I don't think a speech is necessary, but for Vidic it was a signal that this was it, this was the end, and the fans were able to respond to that and show their appreciation. Rio and Evra will not get that, and regardless of what happened this season they had earned at least that acknowledgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

RVP wont play every game with his fitness, anyway I said we're not or ever will bid for him I just like him as a player, chillax the cacks there.

You said "a player like him would be great". I just think it wouldn't. And I don't know how you did.

If you're gonna ask an open question to the forum you have to expect someone will reply. Not my fault I pointed out the sillyness of the suggestion.

And RVP is backed up by Rooney and Mata and Kagawa so we're over stocked up front if anything.

Can a smell a clearout coming. Make way.

s42jzKu.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

We've coughed up nigh on £500m in relation to the debt since the Glazers took over. With that in mind, I couldn't care less whether we pay £27m or £32m for Luke Shaw. The main thing is that we get him.

Lowballing clubs and making derisory offers will just annoy people and make it more difficult to get the players that we so desperately need. We need to accept that we're going to have to pay a little over the odds this summer, especially given the lack of Champions League football on offer next season.

Worst case scenario Woodward can just do what he does best and stick the new signings' images on lunchboxes in Uganda to make up the shortfall.

This summer is absolutely not the time to nickel and dime other clubs.

I didn't know the Ugandan lunch box market was a big earner for us!

27m is more than enough for an 18 year old LB, I wouldn't call it low balling at all.

United will have to pay over the odds with player wages to compensate for no CL football, not pay over the odds on transfers. Clubs know we are desperate and will try to get every bit out of the transfer, like Southampton are doing now. Giving in so easily now will set a bad precedent for other summer transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

. Paying 30m for a LB is madness to me.Fabio Contraeo could be an option. Siquera of benfica is on loan from Granada he can be got for cheap and has been linked with madrid in the past .

How cheap? How do you know his price?

Who linked him with Madrid?

Stop playing Football Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It seemed like Woods was doing a decent job with De Gea though

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    You said "a player like him would be great". I just think it wouldn't. And I don't know how you did.

If you're gonna ask an open question to the forum you have to expect someone will reply. Not my fault I pointed out the sillyness of the suggestion.

And RVP is backed up by Rooney and Mata and Kagawa so we're over stocked up front if anything.

Yes he would be great, fast powerful good in the air etc, weve never really had one like him, sure I could have said Reus as a CM! You seem to be the only one making such a big deal out of the suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement