Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Felexicon wrote: »
    No he's standing by his opinion. You're the only one trying to pass his opinion off as fact.
    If that's his opinion he's entitled to it, I disagree with him but that's ok

Fair point. Opinion may be a better word than facts.

Irrespective if his opinion is that Foulkes is better than Rio, and that football now is no better than in the 50's then I suppose I completely disagree and will leave it at that. No point arguing against wilful blindness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

duffman13 wrote: »
    I didn't say it was. He has also played there for Spurs, would you be happy if he was the only CB signed?

I would be delighted if he was the only CB signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

De Gea expected to be name in Spains 30 man squad today.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

wadacrack wrote: »
    http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/103219/siqueira-set-to-be-first-real-madrid-summer-signing/ He has an 8million euro option of joining Benfica so if a greater bid came in he may be tempted as Granada are in need of the funds, Maybe u should turn of Sky Sports news

If that article is correct it was the former gaffers dithering that cost us Coentrao not running out of time. :(

beno619 wrote: »
    If that article is correct it was the former gaffers dithering that cost us Coentrao not running out of time. :(

ultimately, apart from the mess he made of the backroom staff, the transfer window last summer is what really f*cked up Moyes.

He was on borrowed time once September 2nd came and there was no going back after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

City seem to be closing in on Fernando. No talk of a double for him and Mangala this time though.
    Wonder if there's a chance we can get the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ultimately, apart from the mess he made of the backroom staff, the transfer window last summer is what really f*cked up Moyes.

Yep, had he properly sorted some blatantly obvious squad issues we would probably have managed to squeeze into top four and he would have been given more time. It was an horrendous transfer window and we are still feeling the effects now.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

It was somebody else who said that.

I said that you actually do not have a clue how good Foulkes was, you have never seen him play and don't even know his strengths or weaknesses. You are listing him as one of United top five greatest defenders based on absolutely nothing more than his name in the annals of history.

I said that in fairness. The PL and a couple of other leagues are really global leagues at this point. Reaching the top of that pile is of more significance now that in the 60's when the competition was limited to players from the British isles in the main.

Ok Foulkes won a European cup but the standard was lower across the board.

My main point stands however. Foulkes ahead of Rio does not stack up. He's in there due to anti Rio bias nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Are many of you regular posters here on twitter? Looking to follow more Utd fans who talk sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

i know he is not the answer to our problems, but seeing as it was clear that Rio, Vidic and Evra were leaving, i dont see the sense in selling Fabio, a loan deal surely was a better option.

Really don't understand why he wasn't our second choice right back for the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

James Ducker from the Times is also reporting that Rio was informed he wasn't getting a contract renewal in front of the other players in the dressing room on Sunday. That really is a scandalous way to act by Woodward. Never liked Rio personally but on the pitch he was immense for us and deserved more courtesy than he's been shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are many of you regular posters here on twitter? Looking to follow more Utd fans who talk sense!!

Probably better looking elsewhere so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I have no sympathy for Rio, he played the game well in his own negotiations down the years, getting pictured with Kenyon that time when Chelsea were sniffing around and stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

James Ducker from the Times is also reporting that Rio was informed he wasn't getting a contract renewal in front of the other players in the dressing room on Sunday. That really is a scandalous way to act by Woodward. Never liked Rio personally but on the pitch he was immense for us and deserved more courtesy than he's been shown.

So Rio was so thick, He hadn't realised his contract was running down and that was when he learned about it?

I am calling BS on this story tbh; it sounds like Rio hadn't actually bothered seeking a contract renewal and seems to ignore that a discussion of a new one would have been taking place well before the last game of the season tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I think he should of been told in a better way but out of all the players I find it hard to feel sorry for Ferdinand, he was well able to get his sly tweets off when moyes was being shown the door.. I'm sure that didn't go down well with some in united..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

None of us do we just agree with one insane post and disagree with another :p

bullvine wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for Rio, he played the game well in his own negotiations down the years, getting pictured with Kenyon that time when Chelsea were sniffing around and stuff.

I've no sympathy for him not getting a new contract. I think our CE should be acting more professionally and not informing players and staff they're finished in the dressing room in front of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where has James Ducker mentioned that story? Hard to credit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Fair point. Opinion may be a better word than facts.

Irrespective if his opinion is that Foulkes is better than Rio, and that football now is no better than in the 50's then I suppose I completely disagree and will leave it at that. No point arguing against wilful blindness.

I didnt say football now is no better than the 50s. willful blindness on your part. you're not even reading the debate that you're commenting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I've no sympathy for him not getting a new contract. I think our CE should be acting more professionally and not informing players and staff they're finished in the dressing room in front of others.

I agree its very unprofessional way

So Rio was so thick, He hadn't realised his contract was running down and that was when he learned about it?

I am calling BS on this story tbh; it sounds like Rio hadn't actually bothered seeking a contract renewal and seems to ignore that a discussion of a new one would have been taking place well before the last game of the season tbh...

I'm sure Rio was well aware his time was up under Moyes, he may have hoped he would be afforded a meeting with the new boss to discuss his future though.

I paid no attention to the story last night because the source wasn't great, Ducker is reliable though.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where has James Ducker mentioned that story? Hard to credit it.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4088304.ece

It's Ducker and Kay.

I'm sure Rio was well aware his time was up under Moyes, he may have hoped he would be afforded a meeting with the new boss to discuss his future though.

I paid no attention to the story last night because the source wasn't great, Ducker is reliable though.

Im fairly sure LVG is okaying everything that has and will happen this week.

beno619 wrote: »
    Im fairly sure LVG is okaying everything that has and will happen this week.

It's irrelevant if he is or not. The issue isn't Rio not getting a new contract, it's being informed of it by our CE in front of other players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Two wrongs don't make a right....but Rio liked doing things in public, whether on twitter or elsewhere.
    If he had wanted to stay at United, then tweeting about rumours before Moyes was officially announced as sacked was just plain stupid by the man.

I am sure he was happy thinking his little rebellion against the man meant he had in some way won, and he would be staying on...Giggs was reported to have said Ferdinand and Evra should be given an extension to their contracts.

Evra would have been fine to stay if he had remembered how to defend, Rio is a liability if he thinks he can tweet stuff that is not supportive of the manager, if I was an incoming manager, I would want that type of person removed to show who is in charge.

Rio can blame no one but himself, he liked things in public, he then received something in public view and earshot of team mates.
    He can't complain, live by the sword, die or in this case leave by the sword.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

De Gea expected to be name in Spains 30 man squad today.....

Just been confirmed. He's in and so is Mata.

Great news, delighted for them. :)

• De Gea expected to be name in Spains 30 man squad today.....
    Delighted for him! Well deserved. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So what, is the idea EW kicked the door down to the dressing room and bellowed "Oi, rio, you're out!"?

• Advertisement

Are we sure Neville's gone? He just tweeted this.

phil neville18 ‏@fizzer18 2m

Good morning training with the u 21's -preparing for their final tomorrow night vs chelsea get down to OT and support the boys!

and they have only named 3 keepers, so it looks like, our boy DDG is actually going to Brazil.

delighted for him!

Any links to the Spanish squad announcement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I wonder will mata make the final 23. Hopefully for uniteds sake. A 37m investment you would hope he can make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Looks like De Gea will definitely make the final squad, That's good to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

not a hope ed woodward walked into the united dressing room and told rio he was not getting a new contract in front of all the players.

Alberto Moreno also going. Another player who United could likely target from Sevilla who are a selling club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I wonder will mata make the final 23. Hopefully for uniteds sake. A 37m investment you would hope he can make it

He was omitted from the preliminary squad earlier in the season. Probably made his move that little easier. Was out of the Spanish loop while sitting on the bench.

His end of season form coupled with Silvas return from injury might just get him the nod.

If he didn't have this little flutter in the last few weeks, he wouldn't be going to Brazil, so he hasnt hurt his chances anyway.

There is also strong discussion in Spain that De Gea might be up for a start at the World Cup. While the safe money is on Casillas retaining his place, having being dropped from Madrid is giving good voice to those outside of the capital that De Gea on form this year should be starting.

I tend to somewhat agree, but considering this is the last WC for Cassillas, I imagine he will be starting.

bangkok wrote: »
    not a hope ed woodward walked into the united dressing room and told rio he was not getting a new contract in front of all the players.

Have to say I don't believe it either.

Different if it was a manager, it would send a message that breaking rank and file wouldn't be tolerated and the likes. But not from a chief exec.

While a great player and tremendous for many years on the pitch for his, has been on an irreversible slide, and his behaviour via Twitter and media this year, pretty much ensured he was gone in the summer.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    He was omitted from the preliminary squad earlier in the season. Probably made his move that little easier. Was out of the Spanish loop while sitting on the bench.

His end of season form coupled with Silvas return from injury might just get him the nod.

If he didn't have this little flutter in the last few weeks, he wouldn't be going to Brazil, so he hasnt hurt his chances anyway.

There is also strong discussion in Spain that De Gea might be up for a start at the World Cup. While the safe money is on Casillas retaining his place, having being dropped from Madrid is giving good voice to those outside of the capital that De Gea on form this year should be starting.

I tend to somewhat agree, but considering this is the last WC for Cassillas, I imagine he will be starting.
    Interestingly spain have picked 5 striers. I dont expect Torres to make the cut and possibly Villa. Koke will probably be ommitted. I think it is 50/50 if Mata will go tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Was Soldado ever near the Spain squad or did his move to Spurs shoot him in the foot?

Delighted for Big Dave and hope Mata can squeeze in. Just shows the talent they have there though, its scary.

Interestingly spain have picked 5 striers. I dont expect Torres to make the cut and possibly Villa. Koke will probably be ommitted. I think it is 50/50 if Mata will go tbh

Big call on Villa and Torres. Have been tremendous on the international stage the last 3 tournaments. Villa has done well since moving to Athletico this year, Torres always shines for Spain, tough omitting either.

Obviously Costa is a shoe in, Negrado was, but his form has turned poison the last few months and was vocally annoyed at not getting on the pitch during their last friendly.

Soldado won't be anywhere near the squad. Llorente having a good season.

I havn't seen the squad but if they were to pick strikers I'd go with Torres, Villa, Llorente, Costa. Jesse was a pick here until his unfortuante injury.

Must check the squad there to see what they have picked.

macslash wrote: »
    Was Soldado ever near the Spain squad or did his move to Spurs shoot him in the foot?

Delighted for Big Dave and hope Mata can squeeze in. Just shows the talent they have there though, its scary.

Soldado was in the friendly squads after his form for Valencia alongside Negrado. However fell out entirely after moving to Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If true, Ferdinand should not mind too much. He very handy with the tweets for a long time and his opinions. I would not be a bit surprised, if he was seen as a trouble maker by LVG. His ability as a defender has been gone for some time, he is the last, it seems to realize that.

It would be pretty terrible in fairness. What does it say to the rest of the players about how they can expect to be treated when their value begins to wane? Not exactly breeding confidence and loyalty in the squad. Aside from the subversion of human dignity by not having the respect to tell someone they are surplus to requirements in a sensitive and private manner after years of excellent service.

Having said that, I'm sure the story is utter nonsense tbh.

In terms of the Ferdinand thing, I'm reading from Mark Ogden it was a signal made by LVG, indicating he's already working through the squad culling.

Others indicate it was a decision taken by the club.

I'd like to learn who made the call, if LVG, brings great positivity that change is coming.

While it might have been difficult to breakup the title winning squad this season, it's a ****load easier to dismantle the hapless squad that finished seventh this year.

Only a handful of players are truely safe, a shed load in the " unfortunately club can't sell everyone" category, and handful in "Definitly out" barrel.

I think spain will bring 3 strikers not four. Costa, Llorente and Villa. Villa has had an ok season. there is talk of a move to the mls or lower level La liga side. De Gea should be ahead of Reina in the pecking order who hasnt been the same last few years

It would be pretty terrible in fairness. What does it say to the rest of the players about how they can expect to be treated when their value begins to wane? Not exactly breeding confidence and loyalty in the squad. Aside from the subversion of human dignity by not having the respect to tell someone they are surplus to requirements in a sensitive and private manner after years of excellent service.

At the same time it sends a very clear message as to what happens to players who make mockery of a manager being fired and the club in its current situation, and when players go out of their way for media attention with critical remarks against the manager.

Works both ways, yeah could possibly make players raise their eyebrows, but could also make signal that the club have had enough, won't accept mediocrity, or cheap talk with no action. Might give some of them the kick up the hole they need.

• Advertisement

It could serve as a warning to others, that if they air their grievances in public which are not supportive of the club, then expect to be treated in a similar manner.
    Don't do onto others what you wouldn't want done to yourself.

Whether true or not, Rio would tweet something like #rumours :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement