Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Why would the CEO ever do a thing like that?

I always assumed that was the managers role, and while I could see an active owner like Dave Whelan coming into the dressing room why the hell would the money man be coming in to speak to the players?

Quite apart from that, the dressing room is no place for conversations of that ilk with Rio. Simplest thing in the world to smile and say something like "call by my office Monday and we'll talk".

If any of this is true then it comes across as horribly unprofessional.

The whole thing is about as likely as Woodward ringing up Giggs the day of the match to see how he's fixed for everything.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Januzaj while coming onto the scene and impressing, is being totally blown out of proportion as being labelled the best young player in Europe

Discuss

:P

I can't really see that there's a discussion to be had.

Raheem Sterling is clearly superior at the moment without having to leave the small section of the UK in which Januzaj has been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Cleverly could make a full back and I'm almost positive he played there early in his career in a league cup game or something.

Good engine, decent striker of a ball for a cross, can tackle, keeps it simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Adnan named in the Belgium squad for Brazil :eek::eek::eek:

Are you really surprised?

That was basically announced in April when he declared for Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Think ill stick money on Higuain or Messi top Scorer, they are in the same group as Bosnia and should beat Bosnia by a goal or 2. Iran and Nigeria will be cannon fodder for the Argies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

keane2097 wrote: »
    The whole thing is about as likely as Woodward ringing up Giggs the day of the match to see how he's fixed for everything.

I agree, its pretty unbelievable. Which will make it an incredible story should it actually turn out to be true.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Januzaj while coming onto the scene and impressing, is being totally blown out of proportion as being labelled the best young player in Europe

Discuss

:P

558521_379983752051891_269130519803882_1153607_815765109_n_(1).jpg

• keane2097 wrote: »
    I can't really see that there's a discussion to be had.

Raheem Sterling is clearly superior at the moment without having to leave the small section of the UK in which Januzaj has been playing.

Ehhh first season for Adnan

Second for Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm being serious

Over the weekend a lot of pundits and journalists labelling him best in Europe, Steve Bruce made the comment last week, and in the run up to the squad announcement is surfaced again.

Good player, can see all the ingredients are there, big leap to say best young player in Europe though.

Really explosive start, fizzled out towards the end which is understandable for a player of his age making the step up. But labelling him the best youngster in Europe seems a bit of a stretch to be fair.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Second for Sterling

"Best young player in Europe who's only had one season" was not the question.

I'm being serious

Over the weekend a lot of pundits and journalists labelling him best in Europe, Steve Bruce made the comment last week, and in the run up to the squad announcement is surfaced again.

Good player, can see all the ingredients are there, big leap to say best young player in Europe though.

Really explosive start, fizzled out towards the end which is understandable for a player of his age making the step up. But labelling him the best youngster in Europe seems a bit of a stretch to be fair.

It's nonsense, nonsense, nonsense.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm being serious

I don't agree with the pundits. At the moment no he's not..but the potential is there. It is only his first season with only 24 appearances in our worst in 20 years. Let Van Gal get a hold of him, needs a bit of moulding.

News of him getting into the World Cup squad is great, again stating that I hope he gets a chance, always crucial experience in a major tournament like this.

Credit to Rodgers for the attitude he took towards Sterling but again that was over 2 seasons.

I know that but comparing the two is wrong atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Depending on how highly you rate Shaw then Januzaj might not even be the best 18 year old in the Premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Second for Sterling

So the discussion must be limited to players in their first season of breaking into the first team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

like I said, without doubt ONE OF THE BEST young players in Europe right now.... we are lucky to have him, PSG made a massive offer on him that Utd refused last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yup sterling clearly better but in saying that hes probaly the best young player in europe. Adnan will get better next year

Sorry, there has been a discussion started about who the best young player in Europe is. You aren't compelled to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm being serious

If you really want to argue this then you're going to need to put forward some players in the same age bracket who you think are better.

As Keane2097 says, Sterling is currently better than him, but Sterling is 10 months older and so a full season of senior football further along in his development.

Edit: Just realised I got the dates of birth confused. Sterling and Januzaj are in the same age group. So yep, Adnan is, at best, the second best talent in that age group in Europe.

I'm not saying that there aren't better players than him in his age group, I don't follow youth football that closely that I would remember, or know, all the best talents. But I'll be interested to see who you think is better.

"Best young player" needed clarification any way. Comparing players to others in the same age group is sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Think ill stick money on Higuain or Messi top Scorer, they are in the same group as Bosnia and should beat Bosnia by a goal or 2. Iran and Nigeria will be cannon fodder for the Argies :D

Nigeria will surprise a few people at this tournament.

• Advertisement

one of the best teenagers.....that rules out players 20 and above

Sorry, there has been a discussion started about who the best young player in Europe is. You aren't compelled to participate.

Neither are you. Don't see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

10151129_712165132164013_7983061019438263236_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Lads, I'm unbelievably busy in work so don't have time to look through the papers and twitter rumours. Did see about Rio but is there any update on a new manager or Shaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ricero wrote: »
    Yup sterling clearly better but in saying that hes probaly the best young player in europe. Adnan will get better next year

Yep Sterling was a lot poorer last year in struggling team. Adnan has been pretty good in comparison. Sterling is currently ahead. Adnan has the potential to go further imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bangkok wrote: »
    like I said, without doubt ONE OF THE BEST young players in Europe right now.... we are lucky to have him, PSG made a massive offer on him that Utd refused last year

Pretty sure PSG made him a good offer to sign on for a free when his contract expired. Don't think they made a transfer bid for him.

His agent claims they offered him a very good salary anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

kryogen wrote: »
    Pretty sure PSG made him a good offer to sign on for a free when his contract expired. Don't think they made a transfer bid for him.

Thats what I remember being said. They wanted him to see out his contract at United, and offered him a lot of money to sign for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

kryogen wrote: »

PSG offered him a contract no bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well it's more targeted at "Is Januzaj" the best? I'd be lying if I even tried to say I know all going on in Europe. Not being high and mighty or unrealistic expectations, but found Januzaj a bit flat at times this year.

I for example, had TOTALLY different feelings seein the emergence of Ronaldo then I have with Januzaj. As someone who pundits keep labelling a "flair" player, or when he has come on " he will raise the crowd" sometimes finding him not really getting me on the edge of my seat.

Probably being spoilt with the talent that has come through the club, and I've been somewhat more focused on the poisonous performances in the squad this year then focusing on the good ones, but I'm finding his current ranking among his contemparies in Europe a bit inflated and exagerated.

Might be totally of the boil, just my opinion, I'm just somewhat assuming there is better, and wondering in a United of old would he be getting so much limelight, or is it that he put in some good performances in a season of despair causing the inflation.

• kryogen wrote: »
    So the discussion must be limited to players in their first season of breaking into the first team?

I'm referring to Keanes comparison in the first post. And my post to doc talks about Adnan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Jaysus, can we not just say "Adnan Januzaj looks a great prospect for Man Utd" and leave it at that?
    It would be a lot better than trying to build an exact criteria whereby nobody can deny he's the best!

I personally think he's been overhyped. United fans hoping he's the next big thing, simply so we can hope to get back to where we were!

Pro. F wrote: »
    If you really want to argue this then you're going to need to put forward some players in the same age bracket who you think are better.

As Keane2097 says, Sterling is currently better than him, but Sterling is 10 months older and so a full season of senior football further along in his development.

I'm not saying that there aren't better players than him in his age group, I don't follow youth football that closely that I would remember, or know, all the best talents. But I'll be interested to see who you think is better.

"Best young player" needed clarification any way. Comparing players to others in the same age group is sensible.

I doubt we can make an argument for players who are under 21 not being considered "young" for example in a world where most of us would still argue that the likes of Welbeck has a world of improvement left in him.

and they were going to pay united 15m.....talk of them coming back in the summer with a bigger offer now in the region of 35-40m.

Neither are you. Don't see your point.

You don't think it's fair to compare him to another young player. That's fine, but it leaves you outside the discussion unfortunately.

You don't think it's fair to compare him to another young player. That's fine, but it leaves you outside the discussion unfortunately.

Both with different levels of experience. I'm in the discussion whether you like it or not. You made the comparison I'm debating it.

Well it's more targeted at "Is Januzaj" the best? I'd be lying if I even tried to say I know all going on in Europe. Not being high and mighty or unrealistic expectations, but found Januzaj a bit flat at times this year.

I for example, had TOTALLY different feelings seein the emergence of Ronaldo then I have with Januzaj. As someone who pundits keep labelling a "flair" player, or when he has come on " he will raise the crowd" sometimes finding him not really getting me on the edge of my seat.

Probably being spoilt with the talent that has come through the club, and I've been somewhat more focused on the poisonous performances in the squad this year then focusing on the good ones, but I'm finding his current ranking among his contemparies in Europe a bit inflated and exagerated.

Might be totally of the boil, just my opinion, I'm just somewhat assuming there is better, and wondering in a United of old would he be getting so much limelight, or is it that he put in some good performances in a season of despair causing the inflation.

It's pretty simple.

In a world that contains people like Daniel Alaba, Paul Pogba, Raheem Sterling, Luke Shaw etc etc etc Januzaj is certainly not the young best player in Europe, unless you insist on defining the terms to mean "he's the best 18 year old who has only played one season" - in which case, why not just call the discussion what you really mean i.e. "Adnan is the best if you exclude everyone who's better".

Both with different levels of experience. I'm in the discussion whether you like it or not.

Grand. Enjoy yourself.

Grand. Enjoy yourself.
    I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

bangkok wrote: »
    and they were going to pay united 15m.....talk of them coming back in the summer with a bigger offer now in the region of 35-40m.

Well if United are to get all their supposed targets in summer, Reus, Kroos, Hummels, Cavani, Shaw & Coleman, we'd be pretty foolish not to sell Januzaj for 35-40m.

(I'll admit the first part of that sentence is a little tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, 40m would be crazy to turn down!

• Advertisement

The criteria has now expanded to the following:
    The best young player in Europe, who has only played in one season (not including a game at the end of the previous season) who has the same level of experience as Adnan Januzaj.

Probably Januzaj going on that actually.

I doubt we can make an argument for players who are under 21 not being considered "young" for example in a world where most of us would still argue that the likes of Welbeck has a world of improvement left in him.

At that age players should be compared to the other players in their age bracket. Deciding that the best 21 year-old is better than some 18 year-old will tell you nothing useful about the 18 year-old. It would be a pointless topic of discussion.

So if somebody asks "is this 18 year-old the best young player in Europe?", anybody with an ounce of sense who answers, will interpret the question as relating to the 18 year-old age bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Neymar, Pogba, and Draxler all say hello, all are 22 or under does that not count as the best young players in the world? Or are we talking teenagers only?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Depending on how highly you rate Shaw then Januzaj might not even be the best 18 year old in the Premier league.

Agree.

Januzaj is 19.

Pro. F wrote: »
    At that age players should be compared to the other players in their age bracket. Deciding that the best 21 year-old is better than some 18 year-old will tell you nothing useful about the 18 year-old. It would be a pointless topic of discussion.

So if somebody asks "is this 18 year-old the best young player in Europe?", anybody with an ounce of sense who answers, will interpret the question as relating to the 18 year-old age bracket.

I don't have an ounce of sense for considering "young" to mean "young".

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Is Ashley Young the best Young player in the league?

• Advertisement

The criteria has now expanded to the following:
    The best young player in Europe, who has only played in one season (not including a game at the end of the previous season) who has the same level of experience as Adnan Januzaj.

Probably Januzaj going on that actually.

And now:
    The best young player in Europe, who has only played in one season (not including a game at the end of the previous season) who has the same level of experience as Adnan Januzaj, where "young" does not mean "young" but rather having achieved the same age or less as Adnan Januzaj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Grand. Enjoy yourself.
    I will.

handbags-style-for-2014.jpg

:pac:
    lads the season is over. We can stop hating one another

It's pretty simple.

In a world that contains people like Daniel Alaba, Paul Pogba, Raheem Sterling, Luke Shaw etc etc etc Januzaj is certainly not the young best player in Europe, unless you insist on defining the terms to mean "he's the best 18 year old who has only played one season" - in which case, why not just call the discussion what you really mean i.e. "Adnan is the best if you exclude everyone who's better".

You sound like somebody who hasn't but the slightest bit of thought into how youth development works in football.

A year of development is massive for an 18 year old. Adding 21 year-olds like Alaba and Pogba into the discussion is just wilful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wouldn't swap Januzaj for any other 19 year old on the planet, he has technique, vision and balance better than anyone his age.

I don't have an ounce of sense for considering "young" to mean "young".

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

You are being intentionally obtuse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement