Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Big interview with Vidic in the Telegraph. Says the the players couldn't adapt to Moyes tactics and doesn't deny the Jagielka story.

An very interesting article and you can't help but feel the possibility of Moyes being around next season, heavily influenced his decision to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Guardian are claiming that Shaw has not been approved by LvG

The Guardian understands that the Southampton left-back is being bought without the approval of Van Gaal, so to hear how this squares with the martinet manager of repute who needs total control over team matters could be revealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Jaysus, its like we're trying to **** it up as much as we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If that's true then Woody is a bigger fool than we all thought he was with regards to transfers

A simple google will tell you what happened at Bayern when their director of football bought players without his say so

Although I don't know how Shaw could not fit in to any system really but paying the 30 million without Van Gaal's okay is mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

“All problems I have had in my life, I have sorted out personally with the manager,” Vidic said. “Any issues, we have sorted it out face-to-face because everything from me I will say it to someone looking into their eyes.
    Its no real surprise that Moyes looked like he aged 25 years in the few months he was at OT if himself and Vidic went face-to-face to sort out issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Jaysus, its like we're trying to **** it up as much as we can

thats the woodward effect

he makes Vincent Tan looks competent at times.
    If that's true then Woody is a bigger fool than we all thought he was with regards to transfers

strange you say this, last summer a certain poster on here (and was backed by others) said that i was the only one who thought he was a fool amongest other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'm finding it very tough not to bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Everyone that's worried about what's going on needs to chillax.

Stop believing these stories like its a fact. If we signed Shaw Kroos Hummels and Muller next week without a manager in place would you all really be that bothered? I wouldn't. Go get them Ed. Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

strange you say this, last summer a certain poster on here (and was backed by others) said that i was the only one who thought he was a fool amongest other things.

You have never and will never understand the mild complexity of the discussion about Woodward that you took part in on this thread last summer. You've revisited that discussion many times and it's only gone to prove that you simply are not capable of understanding what was said to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pro. F wrote: »
    You have never and will never understand the mild complexity of the discussion about Woodward that you took part in on this thread last summer. You've revisited that discussion many times and it's only gone to prove that you simply are not capable of understanding what was said to you.

DONT DO IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

"But to his credit van Gaal took Riquelme, who’d been signed by Barça without the Dutchman’s involvement, and told him straight: ‘You aren’t my player, I don’t need you here – find yourself a team to go to on loan"

If I remember correctly he didn't even play Neuer at first because he was bought without his say so.

We don't want to poke the bull before it even arrives at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A new manager awaits official confirmation, he has likely been offered a significant budget for transfers/rebuilding. If the club was to then proceed with player transactions, without the new man's blessing. It would be akin to shoving a stick into the spokes of you own bicycle, as you cycled along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

It could be paper waffle, they love to make us uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

With Fergie's blessing? ;-) Looking forward to seeing Van Gaal takeover as the manager! While the last season was brutal, at least it is ending on a positive note with the clear out & rebuilding getting under way.

• Advertisement

I think Woodward is great and I base this on absolutely nothing.

That's how we form opinions on Woodward right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Park Ji Sung announced his retirement due to injury, only 33.

Source

He was headless chicken like by times but he had some work rate and always gave everything. Seemed like a very humble chap in any interviews Ive seen aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Surely if yez have learnt anything from this season is that the old guard need to be moved on. Getting rid of as many of Fergie's favourites as possible would be a smart idea. It definitely contributed to Moyes' struggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Source

He was headless chicken like by times but he had some work rate and always gave everything. Seemed like a very humble chap in any interviews Ive seen aswell.

Headless chicken ? very intelligent player and a great servant for us. Quality for PSV as well when they were competitive in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Source

That must be the worst compilation video for a player on YouTube. He always gave everything and loved playing Arsenal :) His performances at QPR really showed how he almost played above his ability at Utd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

beno619 wrote: »
    Headless chicken ? very intelligent player and a great servant for us. Quality for PSV as well when they were competitive in Europe.

By times, as my post said, absofrigginlutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pirlo is still trying to climb out of Park's pocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

kryogen wrote: »
    Oh big time! Jesus hero to villain in less then a minutes there!! Tearing my hair out, hadnt even finished saying, "you know what, he may be a shadow of his former self, he may be a liability most of the time but I ****ing love that maaaaa.................................oh for **** sake Evra!!!!!" :mad::mad::mad:

Agree lol. If one minute of football summed up the last couple of years of Patrice Evra at united, it was that one.

'Oh my god!! What a goal, Jesus Evra has still got it, feel bad for doubting him this year,' followed by 'Patrice!! Watch out! There's a Bayern pla........ Oh f##k it, never mind'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Any hope of an announcement (manager or players) of any sorts this beautiful day I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any hope of an announcement (manager or players) of any sorts this beautiful day I wonder?

Don't think so. Rumors of a Giggs/VanGaal meeting and possibley tomorrow as there is some investors meeting. At the moment it's still just guess work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Doubt it Jimmy, nothing being said on Twitter or media outlets

Andy Mitten was on Off the Ball last night and he said he's not sure when it'll be announced but that Van gaal is the man. They didn' push him on transfers so couldn't say anything on that..

Antibac wrote: »
    Don't think so. Rumors of a Giggs/VanGaal meeting and possibley tomorrow as there is some investors meeting. At the moment it's still just guess work
    Ah another day so, same s.hite - I suppose no player will be announced before LVG.

Ha everyone seems just a bit on edge and a bit snappy in here waiting for developments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So I guess this morning, to suit the Anti-Woodward narrative, we are ignoring that multiple sources over the last few weeks have said that Van Gaal gave blessing to various United targets, including Shaw?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/376804/Mats-Hummels-Luke-Shaw-AND-Marco-Reus-on-Louis-Van-Gaal-s-Man-United-transfer-radar

Or at the very least the deal would,only be completed once he had given the ok.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-news-transfer-rumours-3481288

I'm not saying he has agreed or not. Point is that once again we have a case of both sides of the story being covered, but because some people,want to run with a certain narrative, they go with a single version of the story and ignore how every side is being reported at once here...

This summer will make or break Woodward - without a near perfect summer in terms of players and the manager he will be gone ... The fans will turn but more importantly the glazers would become very uneasy about the man steering the ship.

I have no idea what kind of Man Woodward is but I'm guessing he's a proud man/businessman - I think this summer could very well make up for the mess of last year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this transfer window.

Ah another day so, same s.hite - I suppose no player will be announced before LVG.

Ha everyone seems just a bit on edge and a bit snappy in here waiting for developments.

Ye know something you're not wrong there lad, the amount of drivel being spouted is awful...

You've people falling on all sides of every issue...

Van gaal's the man - no he isn't - yes he is
    Woodward is rubbish get him out - he's doing a terrible job - sack him
    why haven't we signed players - we shouldn't sign players until van gaal (or whomeevr) is announced he won't play them
    Nani is crap - play him more - but he'll get injured...
    Evra is a god - the twat!!!
    Moyes was appointed too qucikly - we should've taken more time
    a bit of continuity is need - sack everyone
    we're a couple of players away from a league title - sell the whole lot of them

Christ all season we weren't happy with Moyes, he was removed. We wanted shot of Rio, he's gone..United are changing and becoming a lot more decisive in their actions (yes some of them are not great PR events) but we're starting to modernise

Chelsea and citeh got players in last year before the season was over and they scaked their managers, didn't do them much harm in comparison to us.

jeez lads chill the fudge out would ye...

The season finished a couple of days ago - panic in august if things haven't changed..

• Advertisement

So I guess this morning, to suit the Anti-Woodward narrative, we are ignoring that multiple sources over the last few weeks have said that Van Gaal gave blessing to various United targets, including Shaw?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/376804/Mats-Hummels-Luke-Shaw-AND-Marco-Reus-on-Louis-Van-Gaal-s-Man-United-transfer-radar

Or at the very least the deal would,only be completed once he had given the ok.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-news-transfer-rumours-3481288

I'm not saying he has agreed or not. Point is that once again we have a case of both sides of the story being covered, but because some people,want to run with a certain narrative, they go with a single version of the story and ignore how every side is being reported at once here...

Well said Shadow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sacramento wrote: »
    I think Woodward is great and I base this on absolutely nothing.

That's how we form opinions on Woodward right?
    You base your opinion on nothing, his detractors base their opinion on the almost criminal performance in the transfer market over two windows. Theirs is a more reasoned opinion at this stage.

Just because he was Asian and a hard worker does not equal being a headless chicken, Park Ji Sung was a fantastically intelligent footballer.

This summer will make or break Woodward - without a near perfect summer in terms of players and the manager he will be gone ... The fans will turn but more importantly the glazers would become very uneasy about the man steering the ship.

I have no idea what kind

It will in his hoop... He's Glazers man, he brokered the deal for them to buy the club

When have we ever had a CEO/Chairman people liked.... Edwards (rightly) and Gill (wrongly were despised by the vast majority of supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Keane having a few digs at Woodward, Jones and Rio, Smalling I guess too.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/roy-keane-scathing-attack-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu

Such a vicious little fcuker! Scathing is not strong enough for what he said about Rio. He sliced and diced him!

Spot on for the most part though.

I'm not sue toughness is the issue with Jones, it's sheer recklessness. Leads me onto the main failing I see with himself and Smalling. I just don't think they are very smart players. Lack football intelligence. We need to buy in a bit of nous this summer. Someone to lead them.

De Gea doesn't strike me as a great organising goalie either so it's badly needed to keep that back line together.

brinty wrote: »
    It will in his hoop... He's Glazers man, he brokered the deal for them to buy the club

When have we ever had a CEO/Chairman people liked.... Edwards (rightly) and Gill (wrongly were despised by the vast majority of supporters
    He will continue to be the Glazers man if he can take us out of this mess and steady the ship - if the clubs hiarchy mess up this summer the fans will revolt, absolutely no doubt about that... The glazers are just about being accepted by the fans, lose the fans and the thing could spiral out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He will continue to be the Glazers man if he can take us out of this mess and steady the ship - if the clubs hiarchy mess up this summer the fans will revolt, absolutely no doubt about that... The glazers are just about being accepted by the fans, lose the fans and the thing could spiral out of control.

I'd like to know how this would happen? Fans holding banners, and singing a few dittys didn't affect them during the doomed "green and gold" era a few years back, and it won't affect them again.

There is absolutely nothing, not a single thing, the fans can do to influence these owners. Even a boycott would mean nothing, as the other revenues into the club absolutely dwarf matchday revenue.

there is even less someone can do by merely posting on a message board.

If United fans start getting uppity, or worse, inside the stadium they will be removed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The idea that losing the fans would cause things to spiral out of control makes me laugh; we had a manager who was doing massive damage to the team and the fans still sung and cheered him. If the last few months have shown anything, it's that the fans have no desire to actually launch the types of protest that might (key word: might) actually achieve anything (i.e. protests inside the stadium, massive booing, signs to let the public know their grievances).

I'd like to know how this would happen? Fans holding banners, and singing a few dittys didn't affect them during the doomed "green and gold" era a few years back, and it won't affect them again.

There is absolutely nothing, not a single thing, the fans can do to influence these owners. Even a boycott would mean nothing, as the other revenues into the club absolutely dwarf matchday revenue.

If United fans start getting uppity, or worse, inside the stadium they will be removed.
    You think thousands of fans walking out of OT, season ticket holders holing back money, matching against them and negatively affecting brand "Man Utd" - stock price falling, potential sponsorship deals being held back etc. wouldn't affect the glazers at United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

United fans wont revolt inside the ground against Woodward as he is not important enough in terms of people actually caring at the top level, but the Glazers? a summer window like last year and a failure to add a top manager and i think you will see protests at unseen levels before.

Glazers are on their last chance now, if they dont stump up the cash in the next 3 months they will be in big trouble both from the fans and in a business sense.

this summer is the biggest in the modern history of the club, our entire short-medium future is at stake if we dont get it right.
    The idea that losing the fans would cause things to spiral out of control makes me laugh; we had a manager who was doing massive damage to the team and the fans still sung and cheered him. If the last few months have shown anything, it's that the fans have no desire to actually launch the types of protest that might (key word: might) actually achieve anything (i.e. protests inside the stadium, massive booing, signs to let the public know their grievances).

backing a manager is one think, backing the glazers is a completely different kettle of fish. as i said above, we witness a farce like last summer again and it really is squeeky bum time for the glazers. ive been a "supporter" of them in one sense for many years and always defended them as such as i think our lack of spending was a Fergie problem and he wasted alot of the money he was given, BUT this summer is the potential breaking point for me. i didnt get behind the green and gold campaign at all, but a summer flop this year and ill be supporting what ever movement is (and will) taking place.

• Advertisement

Its actually hard to say the Glazers have not backed the manager tbh, Fergie has always said they were very good to him, if he wanted money he had it, and they did back Moyes to the tune of 65million on two players.

I am sure the money is there for the manager, not the £200million like is being bandied about in some places, I would be surprised if there was an actual, "war chest" with a set amount. If the manager wants a player I think he will be backed financially to go out and get him.

I am not fan of the Glazers but they have stayed out of the football side of things since they came in and other then the huge thing of saddling the club with mountains of debt (which I wont ever get past) they seem to be pretty perfect owners in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

LVG said he will not comment on United, that he said a few words the other day and it made 60 pages in the papers. :pac:

Yeah got posted last night at some stage, and I actually just dropped it off in the Liverpool thread too (to be ignored or ridiculed)

Makes some points that are hard to argue against in fairness to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

is there any man utd player safe on this forum???!! from rooney getting slated to rio Ferdinand being useless and more interested in twitter, now ji sung park has just retired (great player for united) and I see he was a headless chicken?!

and delighted evra made the French squad over clichy, just adds to my argument that he is a much better player than the city left back and I hope we hold onto evra for another year and still sign shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bangkok wrote: »
    is there any man utd player safe on this forum???!! from rooney getting slated to rio Ferdinand being useless and more interested in twitter, now ji sung park has just retired (great player for united) and I see he was a headless chicken?!

and delighted evra made the French squad over clichy, just adds to my argument that he is a much better player than the city left back and I hope we hold onto evra for another year and still sign shaw

Bebe is the only one that is safe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

fitze69 wrote: »

That story is getting a lot of coverage and to be fair I strongly agree. Always had issues with Gerrard, always raised eyebrows at how he is viewed and revered by Liverpool fans and thought the narrative towards the end of the season was nothing short of a joke, the media claiming how "neutrals" would love Liverpool to win it for "Stevie G".

Lost an incredible amount of respect voting him second best player in the league, as the article said he barely scrapes top twenty, he wasn't even second best in his own squad.

I think England are in for a shocking suprise at the WC with him playing DM.

Pretty much an article that sums up my exact feelings on Gerrard

It doesn't add anything to your argument at all.

Park was a great servant to the club, think someone said he looked like a headless chicken at times, which is a bit different to your representation of the forum slagging him.

It is ok to acknowledge, flaws, failings, **** behaviour in players that you support you know. It is ok.

It is also the internet, where you will get a huge mish mash of opinions, and a hell of a lot of strange thought processes, like yours just there for example when you say Evra getting picked ahead of Clichy adds anything to your argument that he is currently a better player

Does it mean Remi Cabella is better then Nasri?

You just have to work around peoples who have opinions that puzzle you, makes the forum easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Rooney's contribution this season was far form spectacular. He wasn't poor by any means but his contribution was extremely overrated.

Rooney's contribution is often indexed, like Gerrard. Gerrard being the second best player in the PL this season is laughable. He wouldn't even make the bench on the best side. The drooling clamour for English success blinkers many fans.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Roy Curtis!

Roy Curtis of the Sunday World!?

:pac:

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Roy Curtis!

Roy Curtis of the Sunday World!?

:pac:

No the other one

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.