Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Roy Curtis!

Roy Curtis of the Sunday World!?

:pac:

I never read his stuff he is a very bitter man, he once claimed he got Brian Kerr the Ireland job and it was thrown in his face.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I never read his stuff he is a very bitter man, he once claimed he got Brian Kerr the Ireland job and it was thrown in his face.

Mick the guy has become a parody of himself over the years.

who he writes for should tell you enough of how much 'noise' he needs to make to be noticed, but I am surprised at the amount who swallow his B.S over the seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Roy Curtis!

Not the most reliable of people, he does make some good points but his bias damages the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

TheDoc wrote: »
    That story is getting a lot of coverage and to be fair I strongly agree. Always had issues with Gerrard, always raised eyebrows at how he is viewed and revered by Liverpool fans and thought the narrative towards the end of the season was nothing short of a joke, the media claiming how "neutrals" would love Liverpool to win it for "Stevie G".

Lost an incredible amount of respect voting him second best player in the league, as the article said he barely scrapes top twenty, he wasn't even second best in his own squad.

I think England are in for a shocking suprise at the WC with him playing DM.

Pretty much an article that sums up my exact feelings on Gerrard

I said it for years that far from carrying Liverpool on his back he actually held them back from getting anywhere near the top, everything had to go through him, every Liverpool player looked for him to pass the ball to, it made them one dimensional and predictable for years and years.
    Their success this year with that fluid attack has benefitted no end from him basically dropping back out of the way and playing the defnsive role.

He's over rated beyond belief, you will still hear guys like Merson on sky talking about him being the best midfielder in the world, it's mad stuff Jeff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Roy Curtis!

Horrible writer on a technical level, his articles are always just line after line of flowery crap that never actually say anything, the man has never seen a simile he didn't like.

The linked article is a perfect example, calls Gerrard the most self obsessed player of his generation then spends thousands of words repeating that Gerrard is the most self obsessed player of his generation without ever explaining the reasons why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

a few of ye were saying a few pages back that our 14 players going to the WC is a joint club-high along with Bayern.

is this really true?

i thought all our players are sh*t!?

fitze69 wrote: »
    Not the most reliable of people, he does make some good points but his bias damages the argument.

he is a social chameleon that changes his stance/opinion every Sunday as he creates more fantasy out of the tit-bits of churnilism he finds out there.

really bad sports journalists that is mugging a wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

bangkok wrote: »
    and delighted evra made the French squad over clichy, just adds to my argument that he is a much better player than the city left back and I hope we hold onto evra for another year and still sign shaw
    I've always maintained that Franco DiSanto is a much better player than Tevez and the Argentine WC squad just adds a ton of weight to that argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Even the worst of reporters can make valid points, depending on what side of the argument you're on.
    I remember Oliver Holt articles being rubbished by Liverpool fans when he was writing stuff about Suarez racism ban being deserved then lauding him when he claimed the ban for biting Ivanovich was harsh.

Journalists are assholes... unless they agree with your views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

a few of ye were saying a few pages back that our 14 players going to the WC is a joint club-high along with Bayern.

is this really true?

Not all, 14 obviously are not like. Though you would have to wonder about the Evra inclusion :)

• Advertisement

he is a social chameleon that changes his stance/opinion every Sunday as he creates more fantasy out of the tit-bits of churnilism he finds out there.

Is this how its done?

cool_story_bro-24254.gif

• Horrible writer on a technical level, his articles are always just line after line of flowery crap that never actually say anything, the man has never seen a simile he didn't like.

The linked article is a perfect example, calls Gerrard the most self obsessed player of his generation then spends thousands of words repeating that Gerrard is the most self obsessed player of his generation without ever explaining the reasons why!

I don't agree with the sensationalist headlines but some of the article has some valid points.

All of this I agree with;

'Second-best in England this season? He wasn’t even remotely close to being second best at his own club.
    In truth, he ranked somewhere between the fourth and eighth most valuable player at Liverpool.
    Unquestionably adrift of Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling, any honest internal poll would have him jostling with Jordan Henderson, Philippe Coutinho and Simon Mignolet for the minor placings in a thrilling year of rebirth.'

Even the worst of reporters can make valid points, depending on what side of the argument you're on.
    I remember Oliver Holt articles being rubbished by Liverpool fans when he was writing stuff about Suarez racism ban being deserved then lauding him when he claimed the ban for biting Ivanovich was harsh.

Journalists are assholes... unless they agree with your views.

The same Ollie Holt that asked the question ' Is calling someone a black cúnt even racist?' when speaking about John Terrys reprimand?...Ohh and who ghost wrote John Terrys biography.

he is a hypocrite of the highest order and him (and others) should be called out for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

is this really true?

Yea it is. Just goes to show if they don't buy into the managers way of doing things doesn't matter how many internationals we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The same Ollie Holt that asked the question ' Is calling someone a black cúnt even racist?' when speaking about John Terrys reprimand?...Ohh and who ghost wrote John Terrys biography.

he is a hypocrite of the highest order and him (and others) should be called out for what they are.

Yep. And still his articles were used here to defend the biting. "I know Holt is a a **** but he's spot on here" type comments were floated around at the time.

All I'm saying is, if it suits the agenda...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Would you agree that Gerrard was the 2nd best player in the league this season ?

The headline is ott, but a lot of what he said was true. After Christmas there was a discussion going on if Gerrard was holding pool back in the aftermath of the villa game I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

gerrard was not even in the top 3 players at Liverpool.....

imagine yaya toure was English?!!!!

Ya Ya toure is a classic example of why the voting for player of the season should take place in the final week of the year and not in March. Ya ya was the best player in the league this year and when it mattered, he was not found wanting.

Suarez had a very poor end to the season, sure he scored a few goals against the likes of Cardiff, Norwich and Palace but he also failed to score in 8 games in the title run in and also failed to score in any of their big games this season against the top 4.

Ya Ya was on a different level to him, but got very little appreciation for it.

Would certainly agree that Toure deserved more credit then he got. He came up big when it really mattered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

gerrard was not even in the top 3 players at Liverpool.....

Its the typical English media. They love to overhype their own. Remember when Cleverley started in the united first team? He was made out to be the second coming. English journos went over the top hyping up Gerard and the romance of him potentially winning the PL. Then you have Yaya, who is an absolutely exceptional player. A player I would love to see in a United shirt. The man grabs games by the throat and controls the pitch. He doesn't get half the recognition that he would were he English.

yaya said it himself, if he wasn't African he would get a lot more praise...... he is probably the best midfielder in the world at this moment

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

yaya said it himself, if he wasn't African he would get a lot more praise...... he is probably the best midfielder in the world at this moment

His goal against Villa was class, to still have the energy and drive to that in the last few minutes of a game. Everything about him is underrated, his range of passing is excellent and so is his eye for a killer ball.

Plus he helped get my fantasy football team back on track:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have a friend who thinks Gerrard is far superior to YAYA.

I can't stop laughing when he does

• I have a friend who thinks Gerrard is far superior to YAYA.

Me the same, It's like a pair of bias glasses that have been welded to the face...not even worth discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I thought Gerrard had a very good season. He was never the type of player to take command in a Keane or viera way in a game like palace, so I wouldn't say he went missing.

Two things bothered me about him this year though, and leads to the self obsessed claim.
    1) The idiotic decision to have a team talk on the pitch after the city game. Could you imagine the aforementioned Keane or Viera standing for that pantomime nonsense. A quick bark to his players to get in the dressing room, then talk to them in private would've sufficed. Instead he turned it into a sideshow.

2) The second half performance against Chelsea where he tried to be a hero to atone for his mistake, shooting repeatedly from impossible distances and playing Hollywood passes. Instead of playing the role he'd done very well all year, he took it on his own shoulders in a selfish way. Maybe 'most self obsessed' is too strong, but it has some basis

• Advertisement

yaya said it himself, if he wasn't African he would get a lot more praise..

..yea and what an extremely stupid thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was it?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Was it?

yes it was.

It questions his peers, FA and panels racist views.

yes that is silly imo.

there is alot of truth in it to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

yes it was.

yes that is silly imo.

So, if he thinks he's being treated differently because of his race he sould keep quiet? Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have a friend who thinks Gerrard is far superior to YAYA.

The part I find funny is that if Lucas was fit, Liverpool would have essentially noticed no negative impact from Gerard not being in that team, and at somewhat the same time might have even done better.

The stuff about him being captain fantastic and stuff is utter rubbish. When you look at some of the results and performances, even most recently the shaky end to Sunderland, a "Captain Fantastic" should be able to calm things down, reassure the team and set the tempo and pace.

Not wanting to invite Liverpool fans into the thread to have a big row over it, as I only posted the other day how it annoyed me, but the whole Gerard narrative has annoyed me more this year alongside how Liverpool were the neutral favorites because of their "British" core.

Which is bollox, considering that United have won the league last year with more British players and it wasn't a narrative or a praise of the squad.

Coupled with the fact Rogers only signed one British player, bringing in a good few foreign flops, so all his talk about british this and that is a touch rubbish as well.

Also on the United front, the following is a translation of somet thoughts that crept into my head this week, as I've been reading the various angles of investigation as to what happened this year.

As the autopsy continues on one of the most dramatic collapses in recent memory in the Premier League, I recall how journalists,and at times myself, last year wrote how the United squad winning at a canter, was one of the worst squads Ferguson had assembled. I also recalled some articles around the time about how the quality in the league was so utterly terrible, that it inflated the status of this squad, and nearly masked over the evident cracks and weakness' in the squad, something Ferguson to his credit mastered in his reign.

Not covering up to the public, or to cover up what might be perceived as a deficiency with himself, but identifying his weak spots and when unable to seal it with a new signing or youth prospect, overloading another area to compensate.

I genuinelly believe Ferguson thought Anderson would shake his injuries and hit the hot form and level that was expected when he signed. I believe he thought Cleverly would develop into a nimble, adept midfielder in the mold of Xavi , Iniesta. Coupled with Carrick, I do believe he thought he would eventually have a midfield that was fast, dynamic and mobile. As the season lost to City, showed up the squads weakness', again in the midfield, Ferguson did what he did so often to rectify the situation. Seeing his plans for his existing playing staff wasn't bearing fruit, and maybe feeling little value in the market, he went out and bought a goal machine. A singing who in Van Persie brought a massive lift, brought class, and a **** ton of goals to help wrestle the title back.

But even at the end of last season, questions were very much there to be answered in relation to the squad.

Valencia had regressed entirely. Young was misfiring and injury striken. Rooney was looking like a dead weight. Ferdinand had shown he had lost his yard of pace and was struggling. Evra was starting to weign. The midfield was looking brittle and disjointed. Kagawa wasn't fitting in.

While the squad won the title, at a canter, it wasn't down to explosive quality, it was down to imploding rivals. It was down to one of the worst qualities of PL I can recall for years. I do feel it inflated the reputation of the squad beyond it's credit.

This isn't in anyway a defence of Moyes, looking back now though he seemed to make signals the squad needed improvement and it wasn't forthcoming, but that was his fault not pushing harder. Being champions isn't enough to excuse standing idle. Look at the signings City made before the start of last season, they had surrendered the title before a ball was kicked.

When I look back, at how critical so many quarters were on the quality of the squad, when I look back at how poor the league was as a whole, and I see the questions lingering over the squad, it makes me puzzled now to see, in the aftermath, the same journalists and pundits pushing the point you can't dismantle a championship team, that it was difficult to achieve and would cause uproar.

The more I think about it, it's creeping into my mind that what we witnessed this year wasn't entirely down to changes and the implementations of this year, but the small decline in quality that begun last season in the squad, and somewhat hit a head this year.

It also gives me immense optimism thinking this way, because we have witnessed squads in the past being broken up or reshaped at the point where they are about to collapse, unfortunately in this instance it wasn't done before the collapse. But the club has always signed the right players, brought through the right youth, and being able to get back challenging in 1-3 years.

I hope that is the case this time, that while we might be without the title for a year, two, maybe three, we are building the right squad to wrestle it back and maintain the challenge going forward.

Might be somewhat optimistic on my part, after this year I feel I have to be.

And breathe.........

there is alot of truth in it to be fair to him.

is there. I am failing to see or hear it.

the guy has his peers, ex players and pundits rightly drooling over him.
    When it comes to PFA awards etc (which I think brought up his comment in the first place) then the race thing doesn't really stand up when you see the likes of:
    • Paul McGrath
    • Barnes
    • Henry
    • Ferdinand
    ...have all won it in the past.

Julez wrote: »
    So, if he thinks he's being treated differently because of his race he sould keep quiet? Right.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Meh, I know he really did well this season but after an abject season reminiscent of a lot of United players last season Yaya doesn't deserve the recognition imo. If he could have been bothered in more games City would have pushed United last season at the least but he went missing. People were still calling him the best CM in the world then so he can't really complain about recognition.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I thought Gerrard had a very good season. He was never the type of player to take command in a Keane or viera way in a game like palace, so I wouldn't say he went missing.

Two things bothered me about him this year though, and leads to the self obsessed claim.
    1) The idiotic decision to have a team talk on the pitch after the city game. Could you imagine the aforementioned Keane or Viera standing for that pantomime nonsense. A quick bark to his players to get in the dressing room, then talk to them in private would've sufficed. Instead he turned it into a sideshow.

2) The second half performance against Chelsea where he tried to be a hero to atone for his mistake, shooting repeatedly from impossible distances and playing Hollywood passes. Instead of playing the role he'd done very well all year, he took it on his own shoulders in a selfish way. Maybe 'most self obsessed' is too strong, but it has some basis

Dont agree with him having a very good season, he had a very good February and March which coincided with him scoring 7 penalties or something. Your two point are spot on though.
    yes it was.

yes that is silly imo.

Bollix it questions the wider problem of the under appreciation of Black/African players on a worldwide scale

There's a solid argument for Yaya being the best Midfielder on the planet and he's so far superior that somebody like Ribery. Even going back to when Drogba single handedly won Chelsea the champions league on a global scale his individual performances wernt recognised as much as they should.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    The part I find funny is that if Lucas was fit, Liverpool would have essentially noticed no negative impact from Gerard not being in that team, and at somewhat the same time might have even done better.

The stuff about him being captain fantastic and stuff is utter rubbish. When you look at some of the results and performances, even most recently the shaky end to Sunderland, a "Captain Fantastic" should be able to calm things down, reassure the team and set the tempo and pace.

Not wanting to invite Liverpool fans into the thread to have a big row over it, as I only posted the other day how it annoyed me, but the whole Gerard narrative has annoyed me more this year alongside how Liverpool were the neutral favorites because of their "British" core.

Which is bollox, considering that United have won the league last year with more British players and it wasn't a narrative or a praise of the squad.

Coupled with the fact Rogers only signed one British player, bringing in a good few foreign flops, so all his talk about british this and that is a touch rubbish as well.

Also on the United front, the following is a translation of somet thoughts that crept into my head this week, as I've been reading the various angles of investigation as to what happened this year.

As the autopsy continues on one of the most dramatic collapses in recent memory in the Premier League, I recall how journalists,and at times myself, last year wrote how the United squad winning at a canter, was one of the worst squads Ferguson had assembled. I also recalled some articles around the time about how the quality in the league was so utterly terrible, that it inflated the status of this squad, and nearly masked over the evident cracks and weakness' in the squad, something Ferguson to his credit mastered in his reign.

Not covering up to the public, or to cover up what might be perceived as a deficiency with himself, but identifying his weak spots and when unable to seal it with a new signing or youth prospect, overloading another area to compensate.

I genuinelly believe Ferguson thought Anderson would shake his injuries and hit the hot form and level that was expected when he signed. I believe he thought Cleverly would develop into a nimble, adept midfielder in the mold of Xavi , Iniesta. Coupled with Carrick, I do believe he thought he would eventually have a midfield that was fast, dynamic and mobile. As the season lost to City, showed up the squads weakness', again in the midfield, Ferguson did what he did so often to rectify the situation. Seeing his plans for his existing playing staff wasn't bearing fruit, and maybe feeling little value in the market, he went out and bought a goal machine. A singing who in Van Persie brought a massive lift, brought class, and a **** ton of goals to help wrestle the title back.

But even at the end of last season, questions were very much there to be answered in relation to the squad.

Valencia had regressed entirely. Young was misfiring and injury striken. Rooney was looking like a dead weight. Ferdinand had shown he had lost his yard of pace and was struggling. Evra was starting to weign. The midfield was looking brittle and disjointed. Kagawa wasn't fitting in.

While the squad won the title, at a canter, it wasn't down to explosive quality, it was down to imploding rivals. It was down to one of the worst qualities of PL I can recall for years. I do feel it inflated the reputation of the squad beyond it's credit.

This isn't in anyway a defence of Moyes, looking back now though he seemed to make signals the squad needed improvement and it wasn't forthcoming, but that was his fault not pushing harder. Being champions isn't enough to excuse standing idle. Look at the signings City made before the start of last season, they had surrendered the title before a ball was kicked.

When I look back, at how critical so many quarters were on the quality of the squad, when I look back at how poor the league was as a whole, and I see the questions lingering over the squad, it makes me puzzled now to see, in the aftermath, the same journalists and pundits pushing the point you can't dismantle a championship team, that it was difficult to achieve and would cause uproar.

The more I think about it, it's creeping into my mind that what we witnessed this year wasn't entirely down to changes and the implementations of this year, but the small decline in quality that begun last season in the squad, and somewhat hit a head this year.

It also gives me immense optimism thinking this way, because we have witnessed squads in the past being broken up or reshaped at the point where they are about to collapse, unfortunately in this instance it wasn't done before the collapse. But the club has always signed the right players, brought through the right youth, and being able to get back challenging in 1-3 years.

I hope that is the case this time, that while we might be without the title for a year, two, maybe three, we are building the right squad to wrestle it back and maintain the challenge going forward.

And breathe.........

Holy **** :pac:

When it comes to PFA awards etc (which I think brought up his comment in the first place) then the race thing doesn't really stand up when you see the likes of:
    • Paul McGrath
    • Barnes
    • Henry
    • Ferdinand

nothing racial about it at all or his skin color, its about being from Africa (none of the above are africian by the way) and the lack of recognition it has. i am pretty sure other players could say the say thing about their regions (US/Asia) and not have racial references in it...

he was talking about at a global level how other players get more recognition cos of where they are from.

people will froth over Brazilians, Argentinians or Spaniards, but right now, Africian football just isnt "cool" so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

TheDoc wrote: »

And breathe.........

How I imagine the doc does be typing those really long posts

SmashingHeadOnKeyboard.gif

• Paul McGrath
    • Barnes
    • Henry
    • Ferdinand

Hmm, two brits and Irishman and a frenchman...

Do Pool fans act intentionally blind on the topic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Reputable journalist:

Raphael Honigstein‏ @honigstein
    On a serious note: Kroos could happen. Comes down to board vs Pep. (and DFB Cup final result)

• Advertisement

If YaYa feels he would get better recognition if he wasn't African then fine. he has every right to express that.

but be it racism, xenophobia or general dislike I am failing to see it when it comes to YaYa Toure.

All I see are people giving him the praise he deserves which I why I find his comment silly.

If YaYa feels he would get better recognition if he wasn't African then fine. he has every right to express that.

but be it racism, xenophobia or general dislike I am failing to see it when it comes to YaYa Toure.

All I see are people giving him the praise he deserves which I why I find his comment silly.

Ranking Gerrard ahead of him this season is praise ?

You still havnt answered my question on whether you think Gerrard was the 2nd best player in the league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Reputable journalist:

On a serious note: Kroos could happen. Comes down to board vs Pep. (and DFB Cup final result)

There must be some chance if it happening. Honigstein is a good reporter but he hates Man United. He always comes across as very bitter when discussing us.

Ranking Gerrard ahead of him this season is praise ?
    Boo Hoo.

You still havnt answered my question on whether you think Gerrard was the 2nd best player in the league this season.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Vidal is better than yaya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Reputable journalist:

If the Cup final result is going to matter to the board then Guardiola should leave anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How I imagine the doc does be typing those really long posts

SmashingHeadOnKeyboard.gif

hahaha.

I had some colleagues from India in our office last week, over for a meet and greet and for me to run through some new process' and **** like that.

They genuinely lost their **** when I was typing documents or e-mails. There was a de-brief type thing with management I was sitting in on yesterday where there was feedback and stuff from the trip and one of the points under "Comments and feedback" was
    Daniel types at a disturbing speed. At one point he was writing an e-mail typing at lightning speed, while looking at me explaining something entirely different. Should explore possibility of training session for Daniel to share techniques.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But Vidal and Yaya playing together would be better still :P

no chance....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Shaw changed the 23 after his name on twitter to a 3 whatevers going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement