Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Yaya is one of only 2 players im still pissed about united not signing

Javi martinez is the other

Those two in midfield together..........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

nothing racial about it at all or his skin color, its about being from Africa (none of the above are africian by the way) and the lack of recognition it has. i am pretty sure other players could say the say thing about their regions (US/Asia) and not have racial references in it...

he was talking about at a global level how other players get more recognition cos of where they are from.

people will froth over Brazilians, Argentinians or Spaniards, but right now, Africian football just isnt "cool" so to speak.

Don't forget the Germans...

...hoping/dreaming of a German invasion of Old Trafford...

• TheDoc wrote: »
    hahaha.

I had some colleagues from India in our office last week, over for a meet and greet and for me to run through some new process' and **** like that.

They genuinely lost their **** when I was typing documents or e-mails. There was a de-brief type thing with management I was sitting in on yesterday where there was feedback and stuff from the trip and one of the points under "Comments and feedback" was

:cool:

LOL have you tried timing how many words per minute before? Off-topic I know but isn't there some Guinness Record for this kind of stuff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

a few of ye were saying a few pages back that our 14 players going to the WC is a joint club-high along with Bayern.

is this really true?

i thought all our players are sh*t!?

Bayern now have 15, so we're only 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Boo Hoo.

Ha so how does it fit your narrative of him receiving significant praise ? When someone so inferior was ranked ahead of him by the english media.

No.

So the article that sparked the debate has some truth to it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Shaw changed the 23 after his name on twitter to a 3 whatevers going on.

Maybe he'll be number 3 at the World Cup

• beno619 wrote: »
    So the article that sparked the debate has some truth to it. :pac:
    Exactly. A lot of pool fans evaded it and started debating the whole 'Gerard is self-obsessed' without even taking into consideration the valid points he was making about his overrated season.

titan18 wrote: »
    Bayern now have 15, so we're only 2nd.

We just have to sign world cup players like Shaw and Kroos...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Telling United to offer another £3million to make Southampton sell :pac:

He knows he will not be Tom Cleverley at United :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

His account was always lukeshaw3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

glued wrote: »
    His account was always lukeshaw3

Just ruin a young man's day. :(

Honigstein changed his opinion slightly since Februrary 21st on Toni Kroos.

In his blog http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/bundesliga/id/549?cc=5739 then he said it was most likely he would stay but it was surprising to hear the club didn't think he deserved to be moved up into the higher echelons in terms of pay and importance at the club.
    Bayern have bristled at his wage demands, but there are other reasons for the lack of progress. While the club value his talent, they’re a bit disappointed he hasn’t become an integral part of the Bayern family, like Lahm, Alaba, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Thomas Mueller.

Kroos is a little aloof, a little distant, and there’s also a sense that he is held back by his relaxed demeanour. Bayern are, to put it differently, not 100 percent sure he warrants promotion to the highest echelon, in terms of pay packet and status. Both are always linked at the club.

Just to add, I think Kroos could be a real possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was talking to a Liverpool supporting friend of mine during the height of their title run and he was trying to convince me that Stevie G was the best holding midfielder in PL history. I told him he wasn't even Liverpool's best and that he forgot about Xabi Alonso. It shot him down straight away.

The blinkered vision Liverpool fans have towards their current crop when they're in good form is ridiculous. Go way overboard in their appraisal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RobertKK wrote: »
    Just to add, I think Kroos could be a real possibility.
    In RobertKK we trust :)

We won't be signing Muller but...
    How special the relationship between the Dutch coach and Bayern’s striker really is showed an interview with Müller at the Audi Star Talk a couple of weeks ago when they showed him a trailer about what van Gaal had said about him.
    In this trailer van Gaal described Müller as “geil” which means both excellent and horny in German, and said that Müller is “geil” in the attacking area and “geil” on his wife Lisa. Müller laughed out loud and reacted in the following way: “He is nuts. A special guy, a special coach and for me also a special person.”
    Kroos definitely didn’t have such a close relationship to van Gaal as Müller and allegedly they didn´t have a good relationship at all. Müller and van Gaal however still have a very close relationship, which makes it a lot more likely that the striker could join him at United this summer.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/14/this-is-the-reason-why-it-is-more-likely-that-mller-instead-of-k/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not signing Toni Kroos.

irishfeen wrote: »
    In RobertKK we trust :)

My last post might make you reconsider :pac:

• FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are not signing Toni Kroos.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Van Gaal announcement imminent according to the twitter machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

JS Park retires at 33. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27404603. Always liked him. Much like Solksjaer he always gave his all and never complained despite spending much if his time at Utd on the bench. But he'll always be a legend in my eyes for that tweet to Steven Gerrard during a twitter Q+A session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Schwiiing wrote: »
    But he'll always be a legend in my eyes for that tweet to Steven Gerrard during a twitter Q+A session.

What'd he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

JS Park retires at 33. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27404603. Always liked him. Much like Solksjaer he always gave his all and never complained despite spending much if his time at Utd on the bench. But he'll always be a legend in my eyes for that tweet to Steven Gerrard during a twitter Q+A session.
    What did he say
    Ji Sung "3 Lung" Park proved that 13 could be a lucky number
    a great and vastly under rated player ;)
    even now he'd improved things in Uniteds midfield

brinty wrote: »
    What did he say
    Ji Sung "3 Lung" Park proved that 13 could be a lucky number
    a great and vastly under rated player ;)
    even now he'd improved things in Uniteds midfield

#AskStevieG would you like a photocopy of my Premiership winners medals?
    —Ji Sung Park(@RealParkJiSung) November 6, 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

There's a major buzz on twitter about VG being announced today. Not from any sources I would trust, mind.
    Fingers crossed it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Van Gaal announcement imminent according to the twitter machine

imminent to some people means in the next month when talking about United :o

hopefully its done today and we can move on to solving the next part of the puzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not sure if it was genuine account but it was this

"Would you like photocopy of my Premiership winners medals?

Nemanja Vidic had to be separated from team-mate Patrice Evra by former boss David Moyes as Manchester United's season descended into bickering and acrimony.

The furious bust-up came as United's players pored over replays of a 3-0 defeat by Liverpool at Old Trafford in March.

Vidic, who was sent off after receiving two yellow cards from referee Mark Clattenburg, accused Evra of neglecting his defensive duties by leaving him exposed.

At least there was passion behind the scenes...

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Not sure if it was genuine account but it was this

"Would you like photocopy of my Premiership winners medals?

Just been doing some digging, it was a parody account it seems.My bad.:o:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't think it will be announced today - not real talk that it will be. My guess is that assuming the meeting with LVG, Woodward and Giggs go ok, that the club plan on announcing tomorrow morning, prior to the shareholders call.

Was delighted when United signed him, a real workhorse and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

What was the tweet?

Edit - nevermind, see it there.

#AskStevieG would you like a photocopy of my Premiership winners medals?
    —Ji Sung Park(@RealParkJiSung) November 6, 2012

I was expecting something like that alright...still nearly choked laughing though....
    Ji ye little Korean legend you
    Did he get a response or was stevie me crying his eyes out to the tune of a similarly title Oasis song....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Park was a great team player for United, any man who scores the winner against liverpool will always be a legend. He always kept is best performances for the run in as well. I can remember key performances by him in 07, 08 and 2011 to help win games.

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Park was a great team player for United, any man who scores the winner against liverpool will always be a legend. He always kept is best performances for the run in as well. I can remember key performances by him in 07, 08 and 2011 to help win games.
    By this definition John O'Shea is a legend so...fair play Bull ;)

Gary Neville hasn't fogiven him for that goal yet!!! Was Neville's dream to score a goal into the kop end that would win/seal a title for United ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TheDoc wrote: »
    The part I find funny is that if Lucas was fit, Liverpool would have essentially noticed no negative impact from Gerard not being in that team, and at somewhat the same time might have even done better.

The stuff about him being captain fantastic and stuff is utter rubbish. When you look at some of the results and performances, even most recently the shaky end to Sunderland, a "Captain Fantastic" should be able to calm things down, reassure the team and set the tempo and pace.

Not wanting to invite Liverpool fans into the thread to have a big row over it, as I only posted the other day how it annoyed me, but the whole Gerard narrative has annoyed me more this year alongside how Liverpool were the neutral favorites because of their "British" core.

Which is bollox, considering that United have won the league last year with more British players and it wasn't a narrative or a praise of the squad.

Coupled with the fact Rogers only signed one British player, bringing in a good few foreign flops, so all his talk about british this and that is a touch rubbish as well.

Also on the United front, the following is a translation of somet thoughts that crept into my head this week, as I've been reading the various angles of investigation as to what happened this year.

As the autopsy continues on one of the most dramatic collapses in recent memory in the Premier League, I recall how journalists,and at times myself, last year wrote how the United squad winning at a canter, was one of the worst squads Ferguson had assembled. I also recalled some articles around the time about how the quality in the league was so utterly terrible, that it inflated the status of this squad, and nearly masked over the evident cracks and weakness' in the squad, something Ferguson to his credit mastered in his reign.

Not covering up to the public, or to cover up what might be perceived as a deficiency with himself, but identifying his weak spots and when unable to seal it with a new signing or youth prospect, overloading another area to compensate.

I genuinelly believe Ferguson thought Anderson would shake his injuries and hit the hot form and level that was expected when he signed. I believe he thought Cleverly would develop into a nimble, adept midfielder in the mold of Xavi , Iniesta. Coupled with Carrick, I do believe he thought he would eventually have a midfield that was fast, dynamic and mobile. As the season lost to City, showed up the squads weakness', again in the midfield, Ferguson did what he did so often to rectify the situation. Seeing his plans for his existing playing staff wasn't bearing fruit, and maybe feeling little value in the market, he went out and bought a goal machine. A singing who in Van Persie brought a massive lift, brought class, and a **** ton of goals to help wrestle the title back.

But even at the end of last season, questions were very much there to be answered in relation to the squad.

Valencia had regressed entirely. Young was misfiring and injury striken. Rooney was looking like a dead weight. Ferdinand had shown he had lost his yard of pace and was struggling. Evra was starting to weign. The midfield was looking brittle and disjointed. Kagawa wasn't fitting in.

While the squad won the title, at a canter, it wasn't down to explosive quality, it was down to imploding rivals. It was down to one of the worst qualities of PL I can recall for years. I do feel it inflated the reputation of the squad beyond it's credit.

This isn't in anyway a defence of Moyes, looking back now though he seemed to make signals the squad needed improvement and it wasn't forthcoming, but that was his fault not pushing harder. Being champions isn't enough to excuse standing idle. Look at the signings City made before the start of last season, they had surrendered the title before a ball was kicked.

When I look back, at how critical so many quarters were on the quality of the squad, when I look back at how poor the league was as a whole, and I see the questions lingering over the squad, it makes me puzzled now to see, in the aftermath, the same journalists and pundits pushing the point you can't dismantle a championship team, that it was difficult to achieve and would cause uproar.

The more I think about it, it's creeping into my mind that what we witnessed this year wasn't entirely down to changes and the implementations of this year, but the small decline in quality that begun last season in the squad, and somewhat hit a head this year.

It also gives me immense optimism thinking this way, because we have witnessed squads in the past being broken up or reshaped at the point where they are about to collapse, unfortunately in this instance it wasn't done before the collapse. But the club has always signed the right players, brought through the right youth, and being able to get back challenging in 1-3 years.

I hope that is the case this time, that while we might be without the title for a year, two, maybe three, we are building the right squad to wrestle it back and maintain the challenge going forward.

Might be somewhat optimistic on my part, after this year I feel I have to be.

And breathe.........

Superb post ,I think you have hit the nail on the head with your analysis .
    Sadly though I only see 2 thanks for your post which is very worrying.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Shaw, which you may not know, is that, during his formative years in Southampton's academy, he set the record as the fastest player in its history over 100 metres.

Faster than Theo Walcott, faster than Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and faster, even, than Gareth Bale. With potential like that, it is no surprise that United are willing to part with upwards of £27million for the 18-year-old.
    Speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

glued wrote: »
    Speed!

if i could sum up our problems in 3 parts, lack of speed would be one of them and perhaps the biggest problem.

lack of creativity would be the second.

lack of genuine world class talent in 4 positions would be the 3rd.

you will probably find that by buying world class players in midfield, youd solve all 3 problems.

Mateo Kovacic would give Utd speed and creativity in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Nice tribute from the goal machine
    Ruud van Nistelrooy ‏@RvN1776 3h
    #JiSungPark #Legend #Example #Friend.

Mateo Kovacic would give Utd speed and creativity in midfield.

Mateo, ohhhh
    Mateo, ohhhh,
    He came from Italy,
    To save us from Cleverley,
    Mateo ohhhh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    LOL have you tried timing how many words per minute before? Off-topic I know but isn't there some Guinness Record for this kind of stuff :pac:

haha

I think Kew called me out a while back and I did a test and posted the results here. I have hit the dizzy heights of 110wpm before, but when I did the test here in work it was around 85-90, which isnt too bad :)

I used to play a game that was based on typing speed. There would be little race cars that would scroll across the screen based on how fast and accurate you typed the sentences it spat out. I used it a little each day as practice for a video game I played at a high level. I remember I was knocking around top 20 in Europe for a good while :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I was talking to a Liverpool supporting friend of mine during the height of their title run and he was trying to convince me that Stevie G was the best holding midfielder in PL history. I told him he wasn't even Liverpool's best and that he forgot about Xabi Alonso. It shot him down straight away.

The blinkered vision Liverpool fans have towards their current crop when they're in good form is ridiculous. Go way overboard in their appraisal.

FYP :D

Assuming Van Gaal is the new manager, which of the dutch squad could he persuade to move to Utd? Blind Depay and Veltman would be good signings in necessary areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Park was a special player. Did exactly as he was instructed to great effect. His performances against Milan were truly incredible. One of the hardest working players I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

KH25 wrote: »
    Park was a special player. Did exactly as he was instructed to great effect. His performances against Milan were truly incredible. One of the hardest working players I've ever seen.
    Pirlo on being man marked by Ji Sung Park: "The first nuclear powered South Korean in history." #MUFC

Quite funny if that's a real quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Absolutely loved Ji... a happy retirement to him, he's probably going back to sort out Korea...he was a great man for any job put in front of him, he'd do it to the letter and never let us down.

I used to love when he'd be played inside behind the striker in tough European ties and he'd just terrier around ripping at fellas heels not giving them a moments peace and setting a real tempo for the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Problem is the player that showed the passion has now left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm not into the going back and finding old posts of mine, but I do remember after that game mentioning and highlighting that there was a somewhat aggressive tension between Evra and Vidic. At one point Sterling has bombed the flank and Vidic had to intervene, the cameras caught Vidic speaking, but signalling out to the flank that he needed to come back. Evra closed his eyes and gave a little shrug.

A few other people picked up on it aswell, but it was a noticable issues throughout the season.

I don't think it's neccesarily a bad thing, Vidic has primarily operated alongside Evra on that side of the pitch, but it was definitly more noticeable the two having words on the pitch this season as Vidic was pulled more and more out to cover.

Always liked Vidic, while his Inter guff this year left a sour taste, can't but help liking him. He's a real throwback of what a Captain is and should be. I somewhat felt strongly about him being a shadow of his formerself this year, and felt it was best he moved on and not become someone like Ferdinand, a mockery of former glories.

But when I saw him busted open on Sunday, edging to get back on, and nearly net a corner shortly afterwards with blood running down his face, had a real moment of sadness that not only will I never see him in red again, but that you might not see another like him again. Last of a dieing breed of balls the wall defenders.

If you'd to pick four defenders to defend your box against eleven opponents for 90 minutes, you'd put Vidic out on his tod and be confident enough he'll get it done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement