Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Superb post ,I think you have hit the nail on the head with your analysis .
    Sadly though I only see 2 thanks for your post which is very worrying.

I imagine a lot of people stop reading after the second paragraph of most of my stuff ;)

I need to come with a TL;DR translation

• RobertKK wrote: »
    At least there was passion behind the scenes...
    I never doubted Vidic and his commitment on and off the pitch. The article that I read last night indicated he was very well spoken.

Glad he gave Evra a bollocking 100% deserved it with the ****ty season he had anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I hope Vidic did indeed have a go at Evra. He plays like he doesn't care anymore. His defending has become an absolute joke in the last 2 years or so. It still baffles me that he has been played so regularly, just like Valencia.

Quite funny if that's a real quote

I believe that Pirlo quote is a fake.

In his book he was pretty scathing on Park, while mentioning that he was always under the impression he had ability, had little respect for his play after the job he did on him.

It's not uncommon for a player retiring etc., for a lot of fake praising quotes to appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheDoc wrote: »

In his book he was pretty scathing on Park, while mentioning that he was always under the impression he had ability, had little respect for his play after the job he did on him.

It's not uncommon for a player retiring etc., for a lot of fake praising quotes to appear.

I was unsure myself, describes Park well either way though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hococop wrote: »
    Problem is the player that showed the passion has now left

to be fair, Vidic didnt exactly set the world alight all season...no point showing passion in the dressing room, if it isnt brought to the pitch.

and if he was so worried about the club, he'd have hung around and showed more passion as opposed to sitting with a big contract in front of him for another club.

KH25 wrote: »
    I hope Vidic did indeed have a go at Evra. He plays like he doesn't care anymore. His defending has become an absolute joke in the last 2 years or so. It still baffles me that he has been played so regularly, just like Valencia.

Which is why I've fondness for Buttner.

PLenty of "understudies" in his position would be making utterings to the media or via their agent at being unhappy they arn't getting a look in.

Lad has the genuine look that he is chuffed he is at the club, appreciates the once in a lifetime opportunity he is being given and is ensuring he doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

While it might be a case of him not being good enough which is fine, he's a good case study for young players and how to go about being second fiddle.

Sat on the bench watching the first choice hapless stumble through the season, get's the nod to cope with one of the best wingers in Europe, and even as early in the game his flank was shockingly exposed with no help from the wing, he coped magnificently. And has done anytime he has come in really.

Might not get the fair crack at United, but won't have any issue finding another club if he decided to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Yep, this is what he actually said about Park:
    'At Milan, [Ferguson] unleashed Park Ji-Sung to shadow me.
    “He rushed about at the speed of an electron. He’d fling himself at me, his hands all over my back, trying to intimidate me.

“He’d look at the ball and not know what it was for. They had programmed him to stop me. His devotion to the task was almost touching. Even though he was a famous player, he consented to being used as a guard dog.”

Park destroyed Pirlo in that game. He was a complete non-factor. Great tactics by Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i believe Pirlo called Park a guard dog and is quite bitter about it :D

• Advertisement

Which is why I've fondness for Buttner.

PLenty of "understudies" in his position would be making utterings to the media or via their agent at being unhappy they arn't getting a look in.

Lad has the genuine look that he is chuffed he is at the club, appreciates the once in a lifetime opportunity he is being given and is ensuring he doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

While it might be a case of him not being good enough which is fine, he's a good case study for young players and how to go about being second fiddle.

Sat on the bench watching the first choice hapless stumble through the season, get's the nod to cope with one of the best wingers in Europe, and even as early in the game his flank was shockingly exposed with no help from the wing, he coped magnificently. And has done anytime he has come in really.

Might not get the fair crack at United, but won't have any issue finding another club if he decided to leave.

Agree 100%. I never understood why Moyes didn't stick with Buttner after the first leg against Bayern. he was exceptional against Robben. That was his chance and he took it very well. Evra should have been benched from that point on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

LVG announcement today lads?

• dubmick wrote: »
    LVG announcement today lads?

Where's Futureguy?

Can we start,

'LVG is not going to be announced as manager'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'm not into the going back and finding old posts of mine, but I do remember after that game mentioning and highlighting that there was a somewhat aggressive tension between Evra and Vidic. At one point Sterling has bombed the flank and Vidic had to intervene, the cameras caught Vidic speaking, but signalling out to the flank that he needed to come back. Evra closed his eyes and gave a little shrug.

A few other people picked up on it aswell, but it was a noticable issues throughout the season.

I don't think it's neccesarily a bad thing, Vidic has primarily operated alongside Evra on that side of the pitch, but it was definitly more noticeable the two having words on the pitch this season as Vidic was pulled more and more out to cover.

Always liked Vidic, while his Inter guff this year left a sour taste, can't but help liking him. He's a real throwback of what a Captain is and should be. I somewhat felt strongly about him being a shadow of his formerself this year, and felt it was best he moved on and not become someone like Ferdinand, a mockery of former glories.

But when I saw him busted open on Sunday, edging to get back on, and nearly net a corner shortly afterwards with blood running down his face, had a real moment of sadness that not only will I never see him in red again, but that you might not see another like him again. Last of a dieing breed of balls the wall defenders.

If you'd to pick four defenders to defend your box against eleven opponents for 90 minutes, you'd put Vidic out on his tod and be confident enough he'll get it done.
    I've had similar thoughts about Vidic this year. The contract signing picture annoyed the hell outta me and I felt he should have been stripped of the captaincy there and then.
    I also felt his performances were not on the very high level he set himself over his time at the club.
    All in all, I wasn't all that bothered to know he was leaving in the summer.

As with a lot of things in life though, it's only now dawning on me that he's gone and it's highly unlikely we'll have someone of his calibre for long enough again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Where's Futureguy?

Can we start,

'LVG is not going to be announced as manager'

Leave Futureguy to do his business. Kroos is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Assuming Van Gaal is the new manager, which of the dutch squad could he persuade to move to Utd? Blind Depay and Veltman would be good signings in necessary areas.

I would say Strootman would be his big target - loves that guy, and would be a fantastic signing for United.

Whether he could be prised from Roma after just one season which he didn't even complete due to the injury he is still out with, is another matter - logic would say no chance but I do think the club are looking at it and I reckon Strootman would be interested. Simon Mullock has been writing about Strootman being a genuine target, and I have been told by others that he has good contacts in the Strootman camp, that he is one journo to listen to re. Strootman.

I reckon Strootman is the reason talk of Carvalho has gone quiet/dead.

• Advertisement

On the LVG stuff, reading some guys saying that the supposed "Giggs and LVG" meetup today, makes actually zero logistical sense and it's unlikely that is true.

Strootman being a target would be sensational stuff. I might finally have closure on the whole ordeal! . I'd imagine he could be secured at a slashed fee, heres hoping he can make a full recovery and hit the former heights.

If Strootman and Kroos came in the one window, my dick would literally explode.

A pic I put up here last summer

strootman2.jpg

• TheDoc wrote: »
    If Strootman and Kroos came in the one window, my dick would literally explode.

No pun intended :pac:

manutd wrote: »
    Sky Sports twitter saying The Louis van Gaal deal to Manchester United has fallen through.

I see nothing on mine, sure it was the real account?

@SkySportsNews

Sky Sports twitter saying The Louis van Gaal deal to Manchester United has fallen through.
    I'm not seeing that?

Edit: surprise, surprise. TheDoc beats me in a type a fast response competition!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Not on any official sky accounts, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Whether he could be prised from Roma after just one season which he didn't even complete due to the injury he is still out with, is another matter - logic would say no chance

Strootman, just like pretty much every other player in Italy, has a price.

Roma in particular would sell if they got a good offer. IIRC they pushed Lamela out the door because the fee from Spurs was too good to turn down.

The issue would be his injury and the chances of him making a full recovery from it. Van Gaal would have access to his medical reports, if he's recovering very well he could go for him in the Summer.

On the LVG stuff, reading some guys saying that the supposed "Giggs and LVG" meetup today, makes actually zero logistical sense and it's unlikely that is true.

Why?

The dutch national team have bee given a day off by LVG today, and the reports are Woodward and Giggs flew to Holland this morning. The flight time is quicker than a trip by car from Manchester to London, as far as I know.

Why does it make no logistical sense?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Blatter wrote: »

Roma in particular would sell if they got a good offer. IIRC they pushed Lamela out the door because the fee from Spurs was too good to turn down.

The issue would be his injury and the chances of him making a full recovery from it. Van Gaal would have access to his medical reports, if he's recovering very well he could go for him in the Summer.

Translates as, Spurs were spectacularly generous with the amount of money they were willing to pay for him. Roma could not believe their luck and cashed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"@SkyFootballI: BREAKING: The Louis van Gaal deal to Manchester United has fallen through.

relax

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Blatter wrote: »

I read last week that August is when Strootman is expected to make a return from his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

mike65 wrote: »
    relax

sorry seen it retweet and it didn't look at the name, just the logo, my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LOL. " The Louis van Gaal deal to Manchester United"
    Even the wording of it is a giveaway.

Why?

The dutch national team have bee given a day off by LVG today, and the reports are Woodward and Giggs flew to Holland this morning. The flight time is quicker than a trip by car from Manchester to London, as far as I know.

Why does it make no logistical sense?

Apologies in advance, my geography knowledge on the Netherlands isn't up to scratch :)

Think it was Jamie Jackson saying he doesn't understand the stories about the meetup today, as Van Gaal can't get to the reported meeting destination.

Hold on one sec I'll find the tweet

EDIT : The tweet(dont open twitter on my work mahcine so cant copy paste)
    "Van Gaal lives in Noordwijk, a bit from Schiphol(and Holland training camp), but he couldn't meet Giggs there, could he...

Apologies in advance, my geography knowledge on the Netherlands isn't up to scratch :)

Think it was Jamie Jackson saying he doesn't understand the stories about the meetup today, as Van Gaal can't get to the reported meeting destination.

The location of the meeting hasn't been reported anywhere I have seen.

Considering Jackson is the person that wrote the article yesterday in the Guardian saying they were meeting today I'm confused as to his confusion.

Also, the camp is in Hoenderloo, which is 1 hour 30 mins from Noordwijk by car.

In fact... Schiphol is 22mins from Noordwijk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

Tweet is clearly alluding to a meeting not denying it.

In fact... Schiphol is 22mins from Noordwijk

and whats that in Ed Woodward time, given he left Sydney last summer and didnt appear for 5 weeks? :p

Ow my bad, makes sense now I guess, I thought he was questioning how it could take place.

Carry on so! :)

and whats that in Ed Woodward time, given he left Sydney last summer and didnt appear for 5 weeks?

At this point I'm just waiting for you to pin the banking collapse on Woodward :rolleyes:

and whats that in Ed Woodward time, given he left Sydney last summer and didnt appear for 5 weeks?

Im still not sure he ever came back. I think they've been using a cardboard cut out since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

At this point I'm just waiting for you to pin the banking collapse on Woodward :rolleyes:

it was his fault i tells ye...
    sure he worked for Lehmann brothers didn't he....
    He went out the door in 2003 and never told me
    ................then reappeared at United

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKY

no doubt he had some part to play in there somewhere :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Woodward hasn't been great, and I do long for the days of Nick Humby when United could sign the best players
    Pass me my jigsaw ....

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H2UDWSS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/278-9229393-6061159

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

How do people find these things?!!

• Advertisement

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    How do people find these things?!!

You can find pretty much anything on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

KH25 wrote: »
    You can find pretty much anything on the internet.

Mr. Humbly looks like a very nice man.

I wouldn't think he'd shout at you or beat you up at all. Not like my daddy.

I wonder if I could live at Mr. Humby's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Pretty cool gif.

tumblr_n5j2s4qrXm1rg4c00o1_1280.gif

TheTownie wrote: »
    Pretty cool gif.
    Mesmerising isn't a word I get to use all that much but I reckon this is a good time for it.

Lads, what is Rob Beasley's reputation as a journo? He is shopping a big announcement re Manchester United for tonight around 10pm, apparently "big managerial news"...

https://twitter.com/1RobBeasley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Looks very silly just uploading pictures of him and players trying to attract some attention. He most likely knows nothing and wants followers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

BBC have said that Giggs is meeting van Gaal today in the Netherlands. BBC are as solid as a rock.

stankratz wrote: »
    Lads, what is Rob Beasley's reputation as a journo? He is shopping a big announcement re Manchester United for tonight around 10pm, apparently "big managerial news"...

first off he said standby for news a few hours ago, now he is saying possibly midnight.

sounds like its not actually going to be anything apart from an article in a paper.

Sure what managerial news is there? All signs point to Van Gaal being the manager, just not officially announced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

stankratz wrote: »

He claimed a few days ago that United were after Jose. Make of that what you will.

He comes across as an awful attention seeker.

Let's be honest he's not going to have the breaking news on this.

Looks very silly just uploading pictures of him and players trying to attract some attention. He most likely knows nothing and wants followers.

Or no more than every other journalist might know by 10pm tonight...hopefully! Have to say I'm starting to get a little nervous over the lack of a manager.

The optimistic part of me would like to think that LVG has been in place for a week or 2 now and pulling the strings re transfers and departures. A good point was made in this thread that perhaps they want to get rid of some players before LVG is officially announced, that way he won't be blamed for cutting the likes of Rio, Evra and whoever else. If that is the case, it would be a rare stroke of genius from the higher-ups.

As someone who initially didn't have LVG as first choice for the job, I want him more than anyone else now. Klopp will come someday in the future if it's meant to be. LVG is the man we need now to settle the ship and replace some broken sails with shiny new ones. His demeanor is perfect for the job. Hope we don't fúck it up by waiting for managers who we definitely won't get this season i.e. Pep and Carlo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement