Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is no Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Sacramento wrote: »
    He's tanning well.

I just keep on seeing Wayne and Waynetta Slob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

its not them i think, its a look alike couple.
    I can't believe it's them, but it looks uncannily much like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ha its the spitting image of him ... surely its him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, Rooneys got a tattoo on his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That's definitely not Rooney, the fat legs are a giveaway.
    Still didn't stop me bursting out laughing when I seen it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

TheTownie wrote: »
    Caption time...

DlXDY42.jpg

You know what you did with Pogba? Fancy trying it with TClev? Please..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Link? Anyone

http://mobiel.nu.nl/sport/3774935/giggs-praat-in-nederland-met-van-gaal-rol-bij-united.html

Interesting that the main Dutch news site nu.nl are only saying that Giggs was in NL according to BBC.

Anyways I have to say the longer it goes in the more I'd be concerned that it won't happen and united will have no plan B.

Well like Fabregas last year, but plan B was Fellaini at 4 million more than necessary.

_74862340_022259557-1.jpg

Copied from the BBC live text: "Tell me Tony, how did you get the best out of Paul Pogba?" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

why are people even entertaining Strootman rumours, its complete nonsense.

the man is recovering from a serious knee operation and in the unlikely event we go for him its absolutely mental.

because some people don't think the rumours are nonsence. Some think there might be something in Simon Mullock, for example, saying we are in for him - on the back of LVG, who fecking loves the guy, becoming our new manager.

As for his injury, he is due back in August, so he might miss the opening few games of the season but should be good to go long term.

Sure there is a worry he could be ****ed, but maybe the dutch national manager has a decent idea how his rehab is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I don't think there would be any summer move for him personally, January maybe, but more likely to wait and see how he gets on for the season and go back in next summer for the kind of money it will now take

Course

Could have just signed him last season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I would love to see Strootman playing for us. Was devastated to see we dropped interest in him, especially considering we could have had him for around £16m at the time.

IF we were to get him now he would cost twice that even while injured.

If we signed two high quality midfield players this Summer I would be very happy to see Strootman coming, even with his current injury.

There were rumours about Strootman to United for a few years. I don't know if we ever were seriously interested. It is inexplicable to me how Fergie could go so many years without signing a good midfielder. The "no value in the market" line was guff.

Now, with a Dutch manager, we will be linked with every decent Dutch player. The Sneijder stories will probably resurface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Strootman will be strongly linked in January you can be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Two players we had deals apparently done for when Moyes took over, Strootman and Garay, have gone on and had really excellent seasons this year. Which pisses me off no end.

I think Strootman shouts are not a million miles off. By all accounts he was very eager to play for us, and settled for Roma when we cooled interest. If LVG is our manager it makes it even more attractive for Strootman who loves playing for LVG, and lets face it, we really need a player of his ilk in the middle. He is expected back in August, so perhaps we will go for the deal this summer. I'd certainly rate our chances of signing Strootman as higher than someone like Toni Kroos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Two players we had deals apparently done for when Moyes took over, Strootman and Garay, have gone on and had really excellent seasons this year. Which pisses me off no end.

I think Strootman shouts are not a million miles off. By all accounts he was very eager to play for us, and settled for Roma when we cooled interest. If LVG is our manager it makes it even more attractive for Strootman who loves playing for LVG, and lets face it, we really need a player of his ilk in the middle. He is expected back in August, so perhaps we will go for the deal this summer. I'd certainly rate our chances of signing Strootman as higher than someone like Toni Kroos.

You would think Roma would sort out a replacement first before letting him go (rumour being they are after khedira) so I think we needn't think about him too much until we see Roma making moves for a cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

TheTownie wrote: »
    You would think Roma would sort out a replacement first before letting him go (rumour being they are after khedira) so I think we needn't think about him too much until we see Roma making moves for a cm.

They did sign Radja Nainggolan in January after Strootman got injured, and they have an option on him this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Strootman back in August is optimistic to say the least...i would say October as all cruciates take at least 6-8 months though at times the ACL can be much quicker.

its too big a risk to sign him IMO until January at least. its actually sickening that he was available last summer for decent money and we turned our noses up at him and no by all accounts, want him.

United just cant seem to do things right when it comes to signing midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would be staying away from the Hargreaves of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

off topic sorry but just after watching europa cup on record tv3. commentator mentioned bela guttmann? i think during penos. can anyone tell me was it a biddy early curse type scenario or wtf did he mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

squadro wrote: »
    off topic sorry but just after watching europa cup on record tv3. commentator mentioned bela guttmann? i think during penos. can anyone tell me was it a biddy early curse type scenario or wtf did he mean?

Guttmann was manager of Benfica in the sixties and won two European cups with them (I think) He was relieved of his post in an unceremoniously fashion and declared that Benfica would never win a European trophy again while he was not involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

squadro wrote: »

He was a manager they had during the 60s. The story goes that after he was sacked by the club he said Benfica won't win another European Cup for the next 100 years. Eight european cup final losses later and the 'curse' continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

statto25 wrote: »
    Guttmann was manager of Benfica in the sixties and won two European cups with them (I think) He was relieved of his post in an unceremoniously fashion and declared that Benfica would never win a European trophy again while he was not involved.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    He was a manager they had during the 60s. The story goes that after he was sacked by the club he said Benfica won't win another European Cup for the next 100 years. Eight european cup losses later and the 'curse' continues.

At least David Moyes seems like a nice person...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Its also reported that we had done a lot of homework on Thiago and were ready to make the deal but Moyes halted that also.

I doubt we will ever know, unless somebody needs to sell a book sometime in the near future, but if any of those stories are true then Moyes really needs to take a look at himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Strootman the cm we should of really gotten in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Its also reported that we had done a lot of homework on Thiago and were ready to make the deal but Moyes halted that also.

I doubt we will ever know, unless somebody needs to sell a book sometime in the near future, but if any of those stories are true then Moyes really needs to take a look at himself.

In fairness to him a club signing players that may not be in a managers plans rarely works well. I think Moyes overestimated the quality of the United squad when he came in but he should have terminated his contract with Everton and come to United at the end of May last year to put in groundwork for 'his team'.

Gazzetta dello Sport are claiming Juventus are open to offers for Arturo Vidal, that it is either Vidal or Pogba goes and it is Vidal who will be sacrificed.
    Say his cost is €40 million.
    They say Real Madrid and Barcelona are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

RobertKK wrote: »
    Gazzetta dello Sport are claiming Juventus are open to offers for Arturo Vidal, that it is either Vidal or Pogba goes and it is Vidal who will be sacrificed.
    Say his cost is €40 million.
    They say Real Madrid and Barcelona are interested.

I'd say we need to be in early with a good offer on him, because if Real or Barca get in first then they'll have a bidding war between themselves to stop the other getting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I'd say we need to be in early with a good offer on him, because if Real or Barca get in first then they'll have a bidding war between themselves to stop the other getting him.

Wouldn't really matter as Juve will just inform them of any bid to spark a bidding war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldn't really matter as Juve will just inform them of any bid to spark a bidding war.

Thats something that amuses me, the notion that you can sign any high profile player, let alone player, without it becoming known to any other potential interested party :)

• Advertisement

Lads, when were those photos of Ferguson and Conte (a.k.a. the bad guy from Bad Boys 2) taken? Hopefully a few foundations being laid for a transfer in for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

stankratz wrote: »
    Lads, when were those photos of Ferguson and Conte (a.k.a. the bad guy from Bad Boys 2) taken? Hopefully a few foundations being laid for a transfer in for United.

tonight at the Europa League final in Turin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Do Barca not still have a transfer ban?

tonight at the Europa League final in Turin.

Cheers Homer.

macslash wrote: »
    Do Barca not still have a transfer ban?

Suspended while awaiting appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Found this very interesting, said id post it in a few of the relevant soccer threads, see what ye think.

This is the table of Premier League's top scorers (top 15):
    1. Suarez - 31
    2. Sturridge - 21
    3. Toure - 20
    4. Rooney - 17
    4. Aguero - 17
    6. Bony - 16
    6. Dzeko - 16
    6. Giroud - 16
    9. Lukaku - 15
    9. Rodriguez - 15
    11. Hazard - 14
    11. Remy - 14
    13. Gerrard - 13
    13. Lambert - 13
    14. Van Persie -12

Now, when you look at how many of these player's goals were actually game-changing goals (a goal scored when behind, an equaliser or a goal scored to go 1 up) you see a very different table. Percentage of goals scored that were game changing is in brackets.

1. Sturridge - 13 (62%)
    2. Bony - 12 (75%)
    3. Rooney - 11 (65%)
    3. Giroud - 11 (69%)
    3. Remy - 11 (78%)
    6. Aguero - 10 (59%)
    6. Hazard - 10 (71%)
    6. Lukaku - 10 (66%)
    6. Gerrard - 10 (77%)
    6. Van Persie - 10 (83%)
    11. Dzeko - 9 (58%)
    11. Suarez - 9 (29%)
    11. Rodriguez - 9 (60%)
    14. Toure - 6 (30%)
    15. Lambert - 5 (38%)

So Sturridge scored the most important goals, followed by Bony.

Amazingly 10 players scored more important goals than the Player of the Year Luis Suarez, and 13 players scored more important goals than Yaya Toure.

83% of the time Van Persie scored was an important goal, itd make you wonder what if he'd been fit all season.

Itd also make you wonder was Suarez worth his Player of the Year award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

No. God. No. What have you done you fool. They're coming.

2578047_o.gif

Keno wrote: »
    No. God. No. What have you done you fool. They're coming.

1zqszd5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sky Sports reporting LVG could be announced today - my betting between 8-9.30 as with most other big club announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

thelad95 wrote: »
    He was a manager they had during the 60s. The story goes that after he was sacked by the club he said Benfica won't win another European Cup for the next 100 years. Eight european cup final losses later and the 'curse' continues.

SSN said that he asked for a pay rise, was refused so he quit the club and put the curse on them.

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Has van Gaal been appointed yet?

Not yet :(

Scrap the cap!

While hammering F5 on BBC Sportsday I saw this:
    Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has sought advice on how to improve his game from Paul Scholes in the wake of the former Manchester United man criticising his lack of progress.

In March, Scholes claimed Wilshere, 22, had not developed significantly as a player since making his debut in 2008.

"He was right in a certain way," said Wilshere, who made his England debut at 18. "We had quite a good chat. He explained it a bit better and told me what he thought I should work on."

Pretty sad indictment of both Arsenal and England's coaches, really.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just re: Strootman

I think there is substance here.

Under 21 captain, has been widely regarded in his youth days as one to watch, and has met expectations early in his career with powerful dominating performances coupled with control and precision.

Is nailed on to be longterm senior captain. Is a strong character and is highly rated by Van Gaal.

Considering one of the biggest obstacles he will be dealing with it a derp of a midfield, I don't see why he wouldn't look to go after the two hot prospect CM's in European football, that have gone on to somewhat vindicate their hype. Both of which he has personal experience of, in Strootman and Kroos.

It might not happen for sure, but I definitly wouldn't say we arn't interested.

Don't forget we had done all the groundwork on Strootman and had agreed in principle a 14m pound deal, which cooled of when Moyes came in. Stupid, stupid business.

ninja900 wrote: »
    While hammering F5 on BBC Sportsday I saw this:

Pretty sad indictment of both Arsenal and England's coaches, really.

I didn't see it that way at all. It's one thing receiving your coaching, its another entirely when the best CM England produced says you've got problems.

Not sure why this "myth" hasn't been dispelled. In top level sport, rarely, if ever, is a coach or trainer, someone who operated at the highest level.

I'm not sure if you're saying they should be top ex-players, or not.

If the golf swing guys could do it themselves in the tournaments and earn millions for themselves, then they'd be doing it rather than helping their clients do it. Coaching is a distinct skill set that can overlap with playing (in that some players have it) but not necessarily. Many top players make crap managers, after all.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Found this very interesting, said id post it in a few of the relevant soccer threads, see what ye think.

This is the table of Premier League's top scorers (top 15):
    1. Suarez - 31
    2. Sturridge - 21
    3. Toure - 20
    4. Rooney - 17
    4. Aguero - 17
    6. Bony - 16
    6. Dzeko - 16
    6. Giroud - 16
    9. Lukaku - 15
    9. Rodriguez - 15
    11. Hazard - 14
    11. Remy - 14
    13. Gerrard - 13
    13. Lambert - 13
    14. Van Persie -12

Now, when you look at how many of these player's goals were actually game-changing goals (a goal scored when behind, an equaliser or a goal scored to go 1 up) you see a very different table. Percentage of goals scored that were game changing is in brackets.

1. Sturridge - 13 (62%)
    2. Bony - 12 (75%)
    3. Rooney - 11 (65%)
    3. Giroud - 11 (69%)
    3. Remy - 11 (78%)
    6. Aguero - 10 (59%)
    6. Hazard - 10 (71%)
    6. Lukaku - 10 (66%)
    6. Gerrard - 10 (77%)
    6. Van Persie - 10 (83%)
    11. Dzeko - 9 (58%)
    11. Suarez - 9 (29%)
    11. Rodriguez - 9 (60%)
    14. Toure - 6 (30%)
    15. Lambert - 5 (38%)

So Sturridge scored the most important goals, followed by Bony.

Amazingly 10 players scored more important goals than the Player of the Year Luis Suarez, and 13 players scored more important goals than Yaya Toure.

83% of the time Van Persie scored was an important goal, itd make you wonder what if he'd been fit all season.

This 'important' goal stat is over relied upon. Way to narrow a criteria to measure a players effectiveness or quality.

Doesn't take into account who set up the goal. Who dragged players out of position to free space, etc.

Suarez was excellent all season in any number of facets of the game and was rightly player of the year. This from a rabid ABL by the way.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're saying they should be top ex-players, or not.

If the golf swing guys could do it themselves in the tournaments and earn millions for themselves, then they'd be doing it rather than helping their clients do it. Coaching is a distinct skill set that can overlap with playing (in that some players have it) but not necessarily. Many top players make crap managers, after all.

I'm saying that being a top coach doesn't mean you were, or should have been a top player. They are not mutually exclusive.

A lot of coaches in any sports, do so after failing to reach the level of being proffesional for one reason or another, and dedicate themselves to learn the various mechanics and functions of that sport to enable themselves to coach others. I know a golf coach I worked with for 3 years in my teens, was on the PGA tour for two seasons, but packed it in because he didn't enjoy the time away from his family. Some people can make the decision to go into coaching, while having the ability to play themselves, for reasons that are not always logical.

The same with football coaches, although a larger proportion may have played the game. I doubt any coach on the England staff, "actively" coaching the players, where anywhere near the level of the players they are coaching.

I don't think it's somewhat a deficiency on the staff or coaches, when a player points out he wanted to hear the criticsm in more depth from one of the best midfielders in the game.

As a sidepoint, I think that's why I rubbish suggestions that managers need to have major credentials to lead or manage existing winners, in lets say the Moyes situation. Comments that he was struggling from the start because he had no credentials, is in my view a ridiculously out of touch view with what happens at that level of sport.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think it's somewhat a deficiency on the staff or coaches, when a player points out he wanted to hear the criticsm in more depth from one of the best midfielders in the game.

What's a deficiency is that whatever about England, the Arsenal guys are working with him week in week out. Scholes saw him play in a few games and straight away saw things to improve on.

Maybe Scholes is just a s**t-hot coach of the future :)

As a sidepoint, I think that's why I rubbish suggestions that managers need to have major credentials to lead or manage existing winners, in lets say the Moyes situation. Comments that he was struggling from the start because he had no credentials, is in my view a ridiculously out of touch view with what happens at that level of sport.

Credentials as a player (most top managers don't have) or as a manager, as in no domestic trophies since Preston and no real experience of managing in European competition?

Anyway, I'm out until this evening, hopefully we'll have some good news by then :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I can't really see LVG being announced today. Not while he's in the Netherlands anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can't really see LVG being announced today. Not while he's in the Netherlands anyway.

Why?

Was Moyes in Manchester when he was announced?

I would say the club would love to announce him today, before the call with investors this afternoon which isn't going to be pretty. Some good news would be most welcome before that I believe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement