Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Also apparently a plane flew over the aviva with a banner slagging off Livepool :pac:

Pathetic stuff and this is coming from someone that has supported United since the seventies, through Div 2 and all that.

If these guys had so much money to burn then donate it to one of the huge number of local and global issues that are continuing to occur. The €10k or whatever it cost to rent the plane etc would have been far far better off donating to the Turkey earthquake fund.

But these supporters probably have their heads up their asses so much and obsessed with Liverpool that they probably didnt know about this tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Why?

Was Moyes in Manchester when he was announced?

I would say the club would love to announce him today, before the call with investors this afternoon which isn't going to be pretty. Some good news would be most welcome before that I believe.

Moyes wasn't at United because he was still the manager at Everton at the time and the season was still ongoing.

I can see why Woodward and the investors would want it today, but I would say atleast that it will be a day that the Dutch team have a day off. I think that the club would like him to be presented at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Moyes wasn't at United because he was still the manager at Everton at the time and the season was still ongoing.

Van Gaal is still manager of the Dutch side and their season is still on going - no different to the Moyes situation in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

LVG could be announced today around noon, when United release their Earnings Report to the NYSE.

I can see why Woodward and the investors would want it today, but I would say atleast that it will be a day that the Dutch team have a day off. I think that the club would like him to be presented at OT.

It is normal for companies to package news with earnings report.
    Today makes sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is normal for companies to package news with earnings report.
    Today makes sense.

So did last week after the Hull game, or after the Southampton game, or a variety of other days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RobertKK wrote: »
    LVG could be announced today around noon, when United release their Earnings Report to the NYSE.

Uhuh, cause the 8.30-9 theory is now gone, after the noon one comes and goes maybe it will be 5 o clock, then 6 o clock, then some twit on twitter says he will have big news at 10 o clock, then it will be tomorrow morning, or certainly within the next 24-48 hours. Then maybe next week, then after the Dutch involvement with the WC is over since it would be a distraction and all talks and transfer deals have been suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Van Gaal - "I cannot say anything, the process is ongoing and i have no news"

on Giggs - "did you see him?! ask him if he was here."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Perfectly fine with me if the news is to be delayed as not to disrupt the Holland national team preperation or tournament itself.

Aslong as its all been done behind the scenes, transfer targets discussed and work can begin ASAP on clearout and recruitment.

If this drags on and on, it is a pretty terrible start to what is already going to be a tough summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Van Gaal - "I cannot say anything, the process is ongoing and i have no news"

on Giggs - "did you see him?! ask him if he was here."

Brilliant reply

• Advertisement

Woodward in London ahead of announcing the Q3 figures at 12.00 and then, a public investor conference call around 1.00.

is there any particular reason why we dont have our head/commercial office in Manchester as opposed to London?

kryogen wrote: »
    Uhuh, cause the 8.30-9 theory is now gone, after the noon one comes and goes maybe it will be 5 o clock, then 6 o clock, then some twit on twitter says he will have big news at 10 o clock, then it will be tomorrow morning, or certainly within the next 24-48 hours. Then maybe next week, then after the Dutch involvement with the WC is over since it would be a distraction and all talks and transfer deals have been suspended

If it is going to be today it will happen around noon and no later than 2.30pm.

All they have to is say who the manager is and let's say Ed Woodward and Ryan Giggs have held discussions with LVG and will carry out the wishes of the new manager as he prepares for the World Cup,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Woodward in London ahead of announcing the Q3 figures at 12.00 and then, a public investor conference call around 1.00.

is there any particular reason why we dont have our head/commercial office in Manchester as opposed to London?

london is where most of our commercial partners have bases makes sense to have it there for face to face meetings instead of a 3 hour trip up to manchester

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not announcing Louis Van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Was it not established with the Moyes sacking and the leaking of same that mangerial appointments are not pertinent to the NYSE? We would have got in trouble for the leak if they were...??

As mentioned above, it seems it's all but done, transfer and clear out activity appear to be progressing so it's no biggie that it's not officially official.

It may be that we hold off purely out of respect for the Dutch WC preparations. Maybe we will hold off until quite close to the WC so that will be the story and LVG can easily deflect the United furore.
    If they announce him now, there's still a few weeks of nothingness newswise which means the media would just plague him.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Perfectly fine with me if the news is to be delayed as not to disrupt the Holland national team preperation or tournament itself.

Aslong as its all been done behind the scenes, transfer targets discussed and work can begin ASAP on clearout and recruitment.

If this drags on and on, it is a pretty terrible start to what is already going to be a tough summer.

This, thats all that matters. It doesnt make a bit of difference when the announcement is made as long as the work is being done anyway

The FTSE stock exchange is based in London, aswell as the integrating markets and offices to the NYSE and other major markets.

Normal for large organisations trading on the stock exchange to perform their quarterly reporting or investor tasks from a sub-office at the exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

FutureGuy wrote: »

I told you yesterday, stick to Kroos.

This, thats all that matters. It doesnt make a bit of difference when the announcement is made as long as the work is being done anyway

in fairness, this is what we were saying last summer and look what happened.

United seem to love discussions and "work behind the scenes", but very little output comes sadly when it comes to big announcements.

Van Gaal will be done i am sure, but its taking a long long time and youd think other big clubs would get it done much quicker.

• Advertisement

The FTSE stock exchange is based in London, aswell as the integrating markets and offices to the NYSE and other major markets.

Normal for large organisations trading on the stock exchange to perform their quarterly reporting or investor tasks from a sub-office at the exchanges.

That answers a different, not asked, question.

London is the commercial centre of England.

We have had our offices in London a lot longer then Woodies tenure and have been in Mayfair for about 3 or 4 years now.....hang on....googly woogly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/8309651/Manchester-United-moves-to-Mayfair.html
    The football club has agreed a deal to occupy 11,500 sq ft of luxurious new office space in the heart of London's West End.
    The deal will do little to help United's reputation for attracting more supporters from London than Manchester, and exacerbate frustration from the club's fans who feel the Glazer family have lost touch with its roots.
    However, the deal also highlights the commercial success the Glazer's, who bought United in 2005, have enjoyed since launching operations in London three years ago.
    The club set up a team in a Pall Mall office building designed to secure new sponsorship deals from around the world. It said London was a more practical base for overseas companies travelling to the UK for sponsorship talks.
    However, the 45-man operation is understood to have grown too large for the St James's office, leading to the move to Mayfair.

Under commercial director Richard Arnold, United say the team has increased commercial revenues from £42.5m to £80m through deals with the likes of Aon, the US insurance broker, worth £20m a year.
    United will pay rent of almost £80 per sq ft at the Mayfair office, but the club does not want its specific location disclosed.

So we have had the commercial offices in London since about 08 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For once I'm relaxed about the timing of appointment.

Like I have said all along it will and was going to take longer then many expected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looks like we're gonna be kept waiting.

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 45s

Van Gaal announcement won't be until early next week now. No issue, just few minor bits to resolve. See Times website

Times reporting that there are 'minor issues' holding up the LVG announcement, and it won't be done until next week.

This club enjoys making itself look a fecking farce.

in fairness, this is what we were saying last summer and look what happened.

United seem to love discussions and "work behind the scenes", but very little output comes sadly when it comes to big announcements.

Van Gaal will be done i am sure, but its taking a long long time and youd think other big clubs would get it done much quicker.

I am working on the idea it is basically done though, I think all that is holding it up is releasing other people from their contracts. The transfer bids wouldnt be starting and players wouldnt be being told they were going to be release, the backroom staff would either all be let go or none you would think before a manager is in place, why only fire 2?

Apparently stuff was going on behind the scenes last summer it just neevr came to fruition. Doesnt mean they werent doing anything, nobody wants a repeat of last seasons failures, but given the level of confidence every media outlet has and people in the game have that LVG is a done deal, along with the betting exchanges I would venture all that is holding the announcement up is tying up contracts and agreeing compensation packages and confidentiality agreements and that kind of stuff

Not that there is doubt about who is coming in

• Advertisement

Times reporting that there are 'minor issues' holding up the LVG announcement, and it won't be done until next week.

"The club" and Van Gaal have said nothing other then it is a process and to be patient, these things take time.

Its the no football no transfers yet newspapers who keep circulating announcements to sell papers. That is called rumour, hype, speculation. Nothing to do with the club

Looks like we're gonna be kept waiting.

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 45s

Van Gaal announcement won't be until early next week now. No issue, just few minor bits to resolve. See Times website

I say he could be spot on.

"The club" and Van Gaal have said nothing other then it is a process and to be patient, these things take time.

Its the no football no transfers yet newspapers who keep circulating announcements to sell papers. That is called rumour, hype, speculation. Nothing to do with the club

You chose to believe that - I believe that Woodward is the one who briefed the press re. Moyes on the monday, and that he has briefed them from the start on LVG - as this is what I have been told is the case. I reckon he is the one that briefed about LVG delay this morning as it is the manchester press pack whom he briefs (Ogden, Ladyman, Ducker - only Taylor missing as far as I know) that have lead the delay story this morning, at the same time.

You can chose to believe the club has said nothing - and while I agree they have said nothing officially, I would contest they have been quiet chatty off the official record, and that is why we knew Moyes was going to be fired before it was official, and that LVG was the frontrunner from early on, and that an announcement is not going to happen til next week.

People forget he is a month away from a World Cup.

This was never going to be done over a day or two.

In some ways this shows that they are taking their time over the appointment and making sure everybody within the club and management knows the full goings on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I struggle with peoples stupidity sometimes,

I don't mind waiting on the lvg announcement for a while but I'd like to see shaw signed up just to get things rolling

• Advertisement

People forget he is a month away from a World Cup.

This was never going to be done over a day or two.

In some ways this shows that they are taking their time over the appointment and making sure everybody within the club and management knows the full goings on

Ha, done over a day or two... what a freaking argument.

3 and a half weeks since Moyes was sacked and judging by reports we had spoken to LVG before that, but certainly fairly soon after - so wanting it done within ONE MONTH is not even close to expecting it done over a day or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus fúcking wept would you ever stop.

Jesus fúcking wept would you ever stop.
    Nope - just put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts. I'll not change my opinions to suit your preferences.

Ha, done over a day or two... what a freaking argument.

3 and a half weeks since Moyes was sacked and judging by reports we had spoken to LVG before that, but certainly fairly soon after - so wanting it done within ONE MONTH is not even close to expecting it done over a day or two.

Well to know what I mean. If there was no world cup in the way I would be more concerned.

LVG has had plenty to think about over past few months with his selection for Holland squad.

I'm sure he is giving it his 100% best and concentrating on United job as well might just take more time.

It's called being professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I say he could be spot on.

The Telegraph & others running with the story too,seems like the deal will be done today but his unveiling won't be until next week as Holland have a game coming up.

That answers a different, not asked, question.

Think you'll find it very specifically address' the question why the quarterly report is being done in London, and not Manchester ;)

Think you'll find it very specifically address' the question why the quarterly report is being done in London, and not Manchester ;)
    THink you will find the questions was why is our commercial headquaters in London and not Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Season is over with 4 days and Im sick of all the rumours already!!! Its going to be a long 100 days or so until the start of the new season, going to be worse than last year!

You chose to believe that - I believe that Woodward is the one who briefed the press re. Moyes on the monday, and that he has briefed them from the start on LVG - as this is what I have been told is the case. I reckon he is the one that briefed about LVG delay this morning as it is the manchester press pack whom he briefs (Ogden, Ladyman, Ducker - only Taylor missing as far as I know) that have lead the delay story this morning, at the same time.

You can chose to believe the club has said nothing - and while I agree they have said nothing officially, I would contest they have been quiet chatty off the official record, and that is why we knew Moyes was going to be fired before it was official, and that LVG was the frontrunner from early on, and that an announcement is not going to happen til next week.

So, you think that the club keeps putting out news to expect an announcement, every couple of days?

I believe the club acted disgustingly in the Moyes situation, I dont care if they were told to hold off on the story until the day after, Moyes should have been the first man to know he was sacked.

This is a bit different, I choose to believe the manager is already in place, in that he is already taking decisions as the manager, but I don't see why the club would keep briefing the press and tell them the announcement is imminent, then its not, then it is, then its not, then it is, then its not.

Are they deliberately trolling their media friends? Revenge for breaking the Moyes story early?

What would you think?

zerks wrote: »
    The Telegraph & others running with the story too,seems like the deal will be done today but his unveiling won't be until next week as Holland have a game coming up.

If that is true then I'm fine with that.

He is Holland manager.

I'm sure he is proud Dutchman leading his team to world cup.

I'd be concerned if he went away from his squad at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fergie and Conte were discussing the Evra transfer, juve want him

So, you think that the club keeps putting out news to expect an announcement, every couple of days?

I believe the club acted disgustingly in the Moyes situation, I dont care if they were told to hold off on the story until the day after, Moyes should have been the first man to know he was sacked.

This is a bit different, I choose to believe the manager is already in place, in that he is already taking decisions as the manager, but I don't see why the club would keep briefing the press and tell them the announcement is imminent, then its not, then it is, then its not, then it is, then its not.

Are they deliberately trolling their media friends? Revenge for breaking the Moyes story early?

What would you think?
    I would think the club has been telling the press the deal is basically done and that they expect to announce it soon, but then have to push it back for 'minor issues'. I think today was the first day that they had actually planned on announcing it.

THink you will find the questions was why is our commercial headquaters in London and not Manchester.

I already answered that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am working on the idea it is basically done though, I think all that is holding it up is releasing other people from their contracts.

Thats the reason I heard as well. Two weeks ago.

New summer, same as the old one.

I already answered that

I know. I didn't say no one had answered it, and I didn't say you had given a wrong answer either.

Nope - just put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts. I'll not change my opinions to suit your preferences.

I don't think anyone has a problem with your opinion fitting anyones preferences, I think the issue with your opinion being based of a twisted narrative.

We are not even a week with the season closed, manager from all quarters looks pretty much a done deal, progression looking confident on Shaw and most likely other recruitment ongoing.

And yet in this time yourself and homer, conduits of negativity and at times over reaction last summer, are spouting it out early.

While I appreciate you might feel vindicated thanks to the wonders of hindsight, if you throw enough ****, eventually it will stick.

bangkok wrote: »
    Fergie and Conte were discussing the Evra transfer, juve want him

there is no "transfer", Evra is out of contract.

I would think the club has been telling the press the deal is basically done and that they expect to announce it soon, but then have to push it back for 'minor issues'. I think today was the first day that they had actually planned on announcing it.

Why?

• FutureGuy wrote: »

I predicted this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if anyone mentioned that Park has retired from football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement