Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Would Van Haal have to be in Manchester for the announcement? Normally in these situations don't they just say that X has agreed to take over after the World Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ignore post

Boards looks different to me today, am I alone in that?

Edit:

Wait, now it looks normal...............confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    Hope to god that's Giggs' last game at Old Trafford. No amount of emotion can erase the last 6 years of frustration watching him play in meaningful games. Giving the ball away 90% of the time.

It's been amazing but please let this be it.

I said the other day i want Adnan starting next year and I won't change that stance no matter how many bad games he has because much like a young Ronaldo I think he will be our star player in about 3 years. Tonight was just great.

90% of the time?!

against Bayern munich "the best side in Europe" and against real Madrid giggs was class the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

kryogen wrote: »
    Boards looks different to me today, am I alone in that?

It's the positivity after last nights win! No doom and gloom.

Mobile boards doesn't seem any different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Antibac wrote: »
    Would Van Haal have to be in Manchester for the announcement? Normally in these situations don't they just say that X has agreed to take over after the World Cup?

Indeed - I don't think Moyes was in manchester, think his press conference in July was first instance of him at United, publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Carlsberg dont do making your senior debut at 18 but if they did....

always good to see a young player doing well.

Wilson reminds me of a young Micheal Owen.

Ive been saying that for a few weeks now, hopefully he stays injury free :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

yep, its certainly not helping and those people are morons. the way he has been treated in the last few months by our fans is shocking.

its hard not to feel sorry for him.

in all fairness, he fairly destroyed us 3 or 4 times before he signed for us, especially in that 4-4 game, which cost us the title and that is as good a "trial" or endorsement as you can get. i was a huge fan of his and have no problem admitting around 2012 i was one who said we should go for him.

he can come good and have a positive influence for us, but at the moment it does not look good. a decent world cup, a holiday and a solid preseason could help to regain his confidence though.

Fellaini played in a different position most time he 'destroyed' teams. Just off the front man is where he had his best games for Everton. Longs balls up to him to knock them on or hold up play. Or getting on the end of a cross from baines etc.

He was never the answer to Utds CM problem.

Fellaini played in a different position most time he 'destroyed' teams. Just off the front man is where he had his best games for Everton. Longs balls up to him to knock them on or hold up play. Or getting on the end of a cross from baines etc.

Do you see many Belgium games?

Oh, and the other thing, no one player is the answer to United midfield problems so you may as well forget that for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wilson has pace, and is clinical, like Owen - but I think there is more link play, creativity to him at a young age than Owen. Not saying he will be better than Owen, just different - and he has a LONG LONG LONG way to go yet.

Was actually shocked he missed that chance in the opening minutes - reckon nerves got the better of him in the opening 15mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Antibac wrote: »

no, i dont recall Moyes being present for anything, but i could be wrong on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    +1

Never feared anything or anyone. Will be sorely missed.

apart from Torres :p

Do you see many Belgium games?

Oh, and the other thing, no one player is the answer to United midfield problems so you may as well forget that for a start

No i dont see many Belgium games. But i know thats the position he plays with them is the same he plays with Utd.
    What teams has he destroyed playing in that position?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

yep, its certainly not helping and those people are morons. the way he has been treated in the last few months by our fans is shocking.

its hard not to feel sorry for him.

The Cleverley abuse is very frustrating as well. He has shown before that he's a good player.

I think we could see him get back on track under van Gaal in a 4-3-3.

A fluid system with good movement around him would suit him down to the ground imo. His greatest strength is quickly recycling the ball with not too much defensive or creative responsibility. That specific role wasn't really available to him in such a systematic style.

I still wouldn't completely rule him out becoming a key player for us in time. He can definitely be a good squad player at a minimum though imo, if used correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Van Gaal - Giggs partnership agreed.

Tony Kroos would solve almost all of them, the rest would purely down to the fact that Carrick and Fletcher need to be replaced.

in talking about sheer numbers in there, then you are right....we need more than one player.

He played in CM for years at Everton.

During thst time he was consistently linked to clubs like United and Chelsea due to his good performances. It was only really 12/13 he played a lot up front off the striker, he had gotten plenty of plaudits playing in CM before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Was actually shocked he missed that chance in the opening minutes - reckon nerves got the better of him in the opening 15mins or so.

Jaysus, talk about being overly critical. Hull's defender did brilliantly, there was no way Wilson, or anyone else, was getting it past him.

Blatter wrote: »

During thst time he was consistently linked to clubs like United and Chelsea due to his good performances. It was only really 12/13 he played a lot up front off the striker, he had gotten plenty of plaudits playing in CM before that.

I dont agree. He never stood out as been a chelsea or utd player playing in that position of CM imo. Without a doubt he played his best games off the front man.

No i dont see many Belgium games. But i know thats the position he plays with them is the same he plays with Utd.
    What teams has he destroyed playing in that position?????

This season?

Played well against the Ivory Coast, Serbia, Croatia and USA, was ok in a couple of others but I do remember him having a poor enough game v Colombia

Fellaini can be a very good option to have in the squad, but to think he was going to solve all the midfield problems, or more to the point, expect that he was, and if he doesnt do it on his own, he is a waste of a jersey, is foolish.

Tony Kroos would solve almost all of them, the rest would purely down to the fact that Carrick and Fletcher need to be replaced.

in talking about sheer numbers in there, then you are right....we need more than one player.

Exactly, we need more then one player, Toni Kroos could not solve the midfield on his own either.

No one player could

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think we can all agree that Fellaini is a much better player than he has shown for United. Whether that's a high enough standard for you is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 5m
    Van Gaal has just arrived at Dutch training in Hoenderloo but refuses to answer my questions about Utd. No announcement this week I'm told

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 3m
    No LVG announcement this week. No dramas, just a case of getting season finished and out of the way.#mufc

I dont agree. He never stood out as been a chelsea or utd player playing in that position of CM imo. Without a doubt he played his best games off the front man.

Right, except he was getting linked to Chelsea and United on the strength of those performances.

(Thats not a matter of opinion)

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Dan Roan ‏@danroan 5m

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 3m

Wasn't Ogden saying previous there was an announcement close?

Hope Meyler misses the final you know, doesnt get any better watching it back

something that went unnoticed that Fellaini actually got two assists last night, may give him confidence.
    The Cleverley abuse is very frustrating as well. He has shown before that he's a good player.

it really is amazing how certain players like Cleverly and nani (and now you can include Fellaini in that) gets dogs abuse off our fans inside Old Trafford, yet then other, less skillful players like Valencia, Welbeck, Jones and a few more seem to get a free pass.

i put it down to a very simple concept...it you work your bollix off, throw in tackles you are loved at the club and its a mentality that Ferguson instilled. its pehaps also why the likes of Veron and berba didnt work, they just didnt have the work rate of the players around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Mark Ogden (reliable as fook) on Twitter said there'll be no announcement this week, that they're just waiting for the season to be finished out.

Edit: I'm slow this morning.

something that went unnoticed that Fellaini actually got two assists last night, may give him confidence.

it really is amazing how certain players like Cleverly and nani (and now you can include Fellaini in that) gets dogs abuse off our fans inside Old Trafford, yet then other, less skillful players like Valencia, Welbeck, Jones and a few more seem to get a free pass.

i put it down to a very simple concept...it you work your bollix off, throw in tackles you are loved at the club and its a mentality that Ferguson instilled. its pehaps also why the likes of Veron and berba didnt work, they just didnt have the work rate of the players around them.

Seriously???

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Mark Ogden (reliable as fook) on Twitter said there'll be no announcement this week, that they're just waiting for the season to be finished out.

Edit: I'm slow this morning.

Wasn't reliable as fook the other day when he said there would be an announcement this week.

• Advertisement

Seriously???

what you mean?

• kryogen wrote: »

I still have a gut feeling the board are holding out until the Champions league final is over. There are potentially other options available.........

what you mean?

Valencia and Welbeck don't get a free pass, far from it.

Edit: just seen you said inside OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

why no announcement? what's the point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Constantly linked but never bought. Did Woodward negotiate the deals for his moves to Chelsea and city or was it all paper talk?
    Ive never seen him looking world class as a dm. He moves his huge frame too slowly. He could have scored last night if he could adjust his feet better.
    He is a battering ram. A natural battering ram. Not worth 27 million but worth keeping around for the type of games where a break through is desparately needed.
    I am 100 percent sure that if he hadnt of got that knock down from the free kick United wouldnt have scored last night.
    Really dire stuff until the goal. Its looks like they are hunting the person they are passing the ball to.
    Step 1 stop the ball
    Step 2 ensure your prey has finished running or is still
    Step 3 Carefully release the safety
    Step 4 Pull the trigger.
    Step 5 Retreat backwards until you are sure no hungry wild animals are in the vicinity.

Sounds silly but it really was that bad until the knockdown.

Tl/Dr He has his uses. Not worth the money but good in the squad. Won us the game last night.

Valencia and Welbeck don't get a free pass, far from it.

Edit: just seen you said inside OT.

on here no, but at games they get away with murder.

it really is all about work rate at this club or putting in a "good shift" as they say.

for me, thats why our football quality dropped, the focus on technical ability lessened but the work rate was kept up until this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A fluid system with good movement around him would suit him down to the ground imo. His greatest strength is quickly recycling the ball with not too much defensive or creative responsibility. That specific role wasn't really available to him in such a systematic style.

I still wouldn't completely rule him out becoming a key player for us in time. He can definitely be a good squad player at a minimum though imo, if used correctly.

How much time do we need to see a player develop? He's had a few years now and personally I remain completely underwhelmed by what he has done at United. At best he's a bit part player for me and I'm hoping he'll be moved on.

Wait goes on.

Ian Ladyman ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 2m
    The wait for Van Gaal goes on. But it will still be Van Gaal.

jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 4m
    no announcement on new manager this week say #mufc ... crumbs

This is getting weird, all the journos are fed with the same news. 2 days back it was "it will be announced today" now "no announcement this week"

Leftist wrote: »
    why no announcement? what's the point?

Whats the rush?

Everything seems to be agreed anyway, maybe Louis doesnt want his training plans disrupted, maybe United dont want the preparations for the last game disrupted, maybe they just wanna let Giggs get on with the job and then announce it after the final game.

There really is no rush, there is not a huge list of candidates, and it seems to be almost as badly kept a secret as Moyes getting the sack that Van Gaal will be the next manager. I wouldnt get stressed about it.

They are talking about when he will be announced rather then if, all media outlets seem extremely sure of it

Yeah, Ogden, James Ducker and Jamie Jackson all said it would be announced in this week and Ducker said it might be before Hull game too. Now all 3 are saying no announcement this week.

Story of the season.

So being 'linked' means its a fact some team was interested!!
    I dont know what games some of ye have watched but Fellaini has never stood out for me in a def CM role.
    His best play is when hes been a pain in the hole of some defender in the box trying to get on the end of a cross/corner/long ball. Thats about it. Most of his goals id guess have been with his head.Good for that Yes 100% !

But good for a central midfielder breaking down play, tackling, spreading the play, creative passes, forward runs with ball..... No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Whats the rush?

Everything seems to be agreed anyway, maybe Louis doesnt want his training plans disrupted, maybe United dont want the preparations for the last game disrupted, maybe they just wanna let Giggs get on with the job and then announce it after the final game.

There really is no rush, there is not a huge list of candidates, and it seems to be almost as badly kept a secret as Moyes getting the sack that Van Gaal will be the next manager. I wouldnt get stressed about it.

They are talking about when he will be announced rather then if, all media outlets seem extremely sure of it

i just can't see how any of that is important.

surely the dutch national side has yet to meet up, so announcing it now is the best time for him..

surely sundays game is a total dead rubber event, away from home and is hardly a bad influence on the players who could be motivated to impress their newly announced manager?

it's a total non-entity game so why save Giggs some distraction?

I'm getting hysterical I know, but I don't like the smell of this uncertainty.

if city win tonight I think it will help..

So being 'linked' means its a fact some team was interested!!
    I dont know what games some of ye have watched but Fellaini has never stood out for me in a def CM role.
    His best play is when hes been a pain in the hole of some defender in the box trying to get on the end of a cross/corner/long ball. Thats about it. Most of his goals id guess have been with his head.Good for that Yes 100% !

But good for a central midfielder breaking down play, tackling, spreading the play, creative passes, forward runs with ball..... No.

You don't think he is good at intercepting and winning the ball even? This will go nowhere in that case.

You don't think he is good at intercepting and winning the ball even? This will go nowhere in that case.

He is excellent at awkwardly knocking over the fella he is tackling if thats what you mean.

jane82 wrote: »
    He is excellent at awkwardly knocking over the fella he is tackling if thats what you mean.

Here read it again

Do you think that's what I mean?

jane82 wrote: »
    Constantly linked but never bought. Did Woodward negotiate the deals for his moves to Chelsea and city or was it all paper talk?

I think you missed my point.

Usually when players are linked to big clubs over a sustained period of time, they tend to be performing quite well.

Is that enough to merit a place as a def/central midfielder in Utds team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Every man and his dog could see Fellaini wasn't Utd standard yet the clamour for him to be signed in here was ridiculous.

You've managed to contradict yourself in one single sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I can see United cutting their losses on Fellaini. I just hope they don't do something crazy like send him on loan, hopefully he'll have a good world cup.

Is that enough to merit a place as a def/central midfielder in Utds team?

With the right player next to him, sure.

Without someone to do the grunt work the creative players don't have as much chance to flourish.

Definitely worthy of a place in the squad, hopefully he can push on next year in more settled surroundings.

I cant multiquote on the phone lads. He isnt good at getting the ball and quickly making a pass.
    He is a bit awkward in the tackle.

He can do a job as a dm but he hasnt shown champions league level as a dm. Thats what united need.
    He is best off a striker making a nuissance of himself. He is being indulged playing dm if he doesnt improve.
    I thought he had a fairly decent game last night just nervous infront of goal. Once he gets one goal he will start scoring.
    He made the first two and his prescence in the box made space for rvp on the third.
    This is his best position. Its not beautiful football but here he can be used any number of games a year when its needed.
    Its man utd. We need a dm that can win the ball and get an attack going. With Fellaini we win the ball take a few awkward touches to get control of the ball then pass 5 yards. It hasnt been good enough.

I am absolutely not saying he should be sold. He is just getting played out of position.
    Kagawa was miscueing little passes all over the place too last night but Fellaini is getting all the hate.
    We need a good dm not another number 10 who wants to play dm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement