Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

bangkok wrote: »
    Fergie and Conte were discussing the Evra transfer, juve want him

Evra is out of contract. The club have the option to extend but are not exercising the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

there is no "transfer", Evra is out of contract.

He definitely didn't sign the extension then?

I thought we would have heard more about his contract situation by now, him being the de facto captain like. Carrick too, did he sign a new deal or he is off on a free now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Will van Persie be captain with Van gaals appointment

wadacrack wrote: »
    Will van Persie be captain with Van gaals appointment

I'd say he is going to make Vidal captain

Edit: Joking obviously, RVP would definitely be in with a shout I think, not too many candidates in the squad at the moment anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

very weird to see Sky sitting in wait outside a hotel in London waiting for Woodward to arrive out of a black cab.

how do they even know where he is staying for f*ck sake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I keep hearing about this "Public" investors call, so here comes a question from a finances noob, can people listen in to this call?

very weird to see Sky sitting in wait outside a hotel in London waiting for Woodward to arrive out of a black cab.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

It wasn't the hotel. It was their office in London where they are making today's financial announcements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky reported asking Luis about Giggs,the answer "Why don't you go and ask him".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It smacks of amateurism imo.

Moyes gone nearly a month ago. Any club worth their salt would have most of the ground work done on a new manager before the sacking.

What ever the reasons are for the delay in announcing Van Gaal, it just sends out the wrong signals about the club, a continuation of its indecisiveness and appearance of not getting things done.

The right thing to do was decisive action, Moyes out and a new man in place.
    It does smack of last summer.

Also its getting embarrassing watching Van Gaal having to answer questions and say ask Manchester Utd etc etc.

Seems to be the Utd way under the new regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He is obviously the next manager and movements are being made on the coaching and player side of things.

Official announcement delayed makes no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

zerks wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned that Park has retired from football.

Was great bit of stuff for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I keep hearing about this "Public" investors call, so here comes a question from a finances noob, can people listen in to this call?

Not exactly.

A Public Investor Call is typically done per quarter for organisation. The public refers to the trading/ownership status of the company. As we float on the stock market we are a PLC(Public Limited Company)

These calls are normally at the discretion of the board in regards to who can get in on this call.

Typically it is obviously the board, investors, analysts, newswires, select media etc. There will be a high level summary from Woodward on financial performance and any caveats to the figures, aswell as commenting on the projected outlook for the coming quarters.

It is normal in a summary like this, to address or disclose key factors or influences that might affect business positively or negatively for the current report, and the forthcoming ones this year.

For a company like MUFC, there will be newswire organisations there who will filter/sell the calls detail to other vendors, so I'd expect we will get the details throughout the afternoon and tomorrow of what took place.

Keeping in mind it was a quarterly report last year that indicated the clubs stance was that no major rework was needed to the squad, and the club had no financed for major squad reworks. This set the foundation and mentaility, from above, that the squad would have to do, and wholesale changes couldnt be made by Moyes.

The last quarterly report indicated a shift in this belief, with Woodward outlining the club forsee a number of exits and arrivals in the course of the summer.

Remember this is a public company with shareholders and investors. While obviously many won't have veto's or extential powers in how the club operates, as investors and shareholders they are entitled to be formed in detail of planned expenditure and potential short terms losses. This would be for example, estimated transfers.

So while there won't be direct football esque style announcements, if you can read through the report, you'll be able to see what the club are forecasting the next quarter, which considering contains a transfer window, will give an insight into what we are planning.

Shares for organisations usually fluctuate after a call like this, as people take different views on the data and either buy more or sell, selling for profit or because they think they are in a sinking ship. Be interesting to watch the stock value reaction over the next 24 hours.

Anyone watch the Europa League final last night? How did Rakitic play? Only saw his sexy pass on the highlights but didnt watch the game itself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My take.

Van Gaal is the United manager. He's already started making calls on ins (Shaw, possibly Strootman) and outs (Rio, Phil, Woods) at the club.

For whatever reason, the club haven't announced it; some will say it's cause we're messing about, but I'd take it that it's either...
    1. Stuff has to be ironed out, and the reality is we shouldn't rush into another managerial appointment. Both sides should be fully aware of every aspect of the decision, and it's to the benefit of the club to not rush into things. No stupid "6 Year Contract" disaster.
    2. There's something in his current contract that could be causing a delay in confirming it publicly, even though it's confirmed privately. (My worry here then is that we could face a scenario where it can't be publically confirmed until after the World Cup)

Neither worries me; it seems to be the worst kept secret he's getting/got the job.

However, some journalists want to get the "exclusive" of when he is signing, so keep putting out arbitrary dates and times he'll be announced. Eventually, one will be right and will claim to be all ITK while hoping everyong ignores how many times he was wrong; to help with this, every time they get it wrong, they make an utterly improvable excuse, citing "minor issues" or whatever.

Some people will want to jump on Woodward and co, and will use these excuses to suit their narrative and continue to hyperbole. The majority should realise it's football journalists trying to sell papers and look ITK and nothing should be trusted. Ignore these dates he'll "defiently be unveiled"

adox wrote: »
    It smacks of amateurism imo.

Moyes gone nearly a month ago. Any club worth their salt would have most of the ground work done on a new manager before the sacking.

What ever the reasons are for the delay in announcing Van Gaal, it just sends out the wrong signals about the club, a continuation of its indecisiveness and appearance of not getting things done.

The right thing to do was decisive action, Moyes out and a new man in place.
    It does smack of last summer.

Also its getting embarrassing watching Van Gaal having to answer questions and say ask Manchester Utd etc etc.

Seems to be the Utd way under the new regime.

Considering the main candidate and target is currently under contract preparing for a World Cup with a country who "feel" they are contenders, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume it will take slightly longer then a normal summer.

Not to mention that I am of the belief the club have contacted and explored multiple avenues along with Van Gaal. After the calamity this year it would be only proper order for the club to explore all targets regardless of likelyhood and await official responses.

Sometimes I have to question the realistic expectations and sometimes just blatant understanding of how the world works. This isn't Champion ship manager 01 where you throw loads of money at someone and watch them come on board when you click next. There is multiple moving parts to any deal, let alone trying to secure the signature of a high profile manager currently undergoing WC preperations.

As someone who was voicing calm and reason not so long ago about what we should expect in the coming summer, somewhat suprised your airing the "farce" stuff.

Not a week after the season has ended, barely a month after Moyes has departed...and lads expecting a new manager installed.

I don't know sometimes to be honest ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Was great bit of stuff for us.
    Sure why not:

Great player for us, used to love seeing him come on against Arsenal :D

Also as a mentioned about two weeks ago, the more sensible journalists with United ties, indicated that the club want to have EVERYTHING sorted and organised before making an announcement.

The feeling was that the drib drab effect of last summer added to the difficulties, with Moyes arriving, then the existing coaches going, new ones coming in, etc etc.

The indication from MArk Ogden and others was that the club have indicated that the next appointment, all the finer details will be arranged before an announcement is made.
    • Existing staff let go, compensated, contractual obligations resolved.
    • New manager approached, negotiations with both himself and any interested party (ie Dutch FA)
    • Once manager agreed in principle indication of staff he requires. Discussions and negotiations to take place with them
    • Squad review and transfer target review and confirmation

Sorry your just on another planet if you think this happens quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Link for the earnings conference call if that's any good..

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-irhome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

With Chris woods gone, Frans Hoek will be the new Goalkeeping coach. Worked with Ajax,Barca,Bayern and the dutch with LVG.
    DDG can only get better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

kryogen wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Europa League final last night? How did Rakitic play? Only saw his sexy pass on the highlights but didnt watch the game itself

Played well he's a monster of a player has everything, He'll be one of the players we'll be saying we should have signed next year, Can't wait to watch him and Modric at the WC together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »

Sometimes I have to question the realistic expectations and sometimes just blatant understanding of how the world works. This isn't Champion ship manager 01 where you throw loads of money at someone and watch them come on board when you click next. There is multiple moving parts to any deal, let alone trying to secure the signature of a high profile manager currently undergoing WC preperations.

That really is quite condescending.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Played well he's a monster of a player has everything, He'll be one of the players we'll be saying we should have signed next year, Can't wait to watch him and Modric at the WC together.

Would be a big admirer of his alright, only heard a whisper a little while back he is on the radar, but not a top priority. Think he could be a super player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Considering the main candidate and target is currently under contract preparing for a World Cup with a country who "feel" they are contenders, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume it will take slightly longer then a normal summer.

Considering the main candidate and target is currently under contract preparing for a World Cup you think he would want things sorted as soon as possible so he could go concentrate on the task at hand.

But I guess I am just one of those championship managers who doesn't understand how the world works. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My take.

Van Gaal is the United manager. He's already started making calls on ins (Shaw, possibly Strootman) and outs (Rio, Phil, Woods) at the club.

For whatever reason, the club haven't announced it; some will say it's cause we're messing about, but I'd take it that it's either...
    1. Stuff has to be ironed out, and the reality is we shouldn't rush into another managerial appointment. Both sides should be fully aware of every aspect of the decision, and it's to the benefit of the club to not rush into things. No stupid "6 Year Contract" disaster.
    2. There's something in his current contract that could be causing a delay in confirming it publicly, even though it's confirmed privately. (My worry here then is that we could face a scenario where it can't be publically confirmed until after the World Cup)

Whatever about consulting on transfers etc and him doing work - he is categorically NOT the official United manager, no contract signed (though I believe it is agreed).

As soon as United officially appoint him as United manager they have to announce it immediately - the stock exchange rules demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

No problem with this delay for me really except for tha fact that if the Dutch struggle at the World Cup and/or Utd struggle next season then this drawn out process is one of the main reasons that is going to be dragged up again a la Moyes not taking over until July last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

No problem with this delay for me really except for tha fact that if the Dutch struggle at the World Cup and/or Utd struggle next season then this drawn out process is one of the main reasons that is going to be dragged up again a la Moyes not taking over until July last year!

While that is a possibility, with the offer for Shaw going in so early it does suggest that conversations are being held in the background and United are getting the ball rolling early. The problem with last year was we sat around scratching our hoops until Moyes was officially announced and by then it was too late to make the signings required

adox wrote: »
    That really is quite condescending.

How so?

I simply just don't get how people can completely ignore reality and expect things to happen instantly.

Appreciate the media isn't helping with constantly pushing out false dates that is pure speculation on their part, but it's as if people are throwing their arms in the air shouting" What can possibly be the hold up".

When quiet obviously there is plenty to be sorted out before an announcement is made.

And I'm just responding on the basis that the club again is being unfarely labelled farsical or "amateurish". I actually think it's a good step and proffesional, to be performing proper due dilligence and having all the cogs in place for when the announcement is made. So there is no lingering questions or doubts over coaching positions or this or that.

There needs to be appreciation that this needs to work comfortably for LVG aswell. When this announcement comes out, I'm sure he will make a brief statement where he can laud of whats happening, then back to Holland. He would not want a situation where he's being unveiled and then answering waves of questions about Giggs, coaching positions and all that stuff.

Being condascending wasn't the intention, but sometimes I do bawk at peoples expectations or understanding at how somethings happen.

for example, if LVG was announced a week after Moyes departure, I'd be asking questions as to why the club didn't explore an array of candidates regardless of situation and garner an official response. I don't think this whole time it's been LVG discussions. I'd imagine other people were in the mix, might have rejected any approach quickly, but the approach had to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good results for United.

Earnings per share of £0.08 a beat by £0.02 with revenue of £115.5 million a beat by £10.55 million. Revenue up 25.9% year on year.

Ed Woodward doing a great job with the finances.

• Advertisement

Considering the main candidate and target is currently under contract preparing for a World Cup you think he would want things sorted as soon as possible so he could go concentrate on the task at hand.

But I guess I am just one of those championship managers who doesn't understand how the world works. :rolleyes:

concentrating at the task at hand ensures that all the due dilligence and finder details are done and dusted.

Contracts, any settlements or payments if required, staff and their conditions etc.

I'm pretty sure all parties would rather wait a few days for definitive concrete structures and agreements, rather than rush an announcement and then field questions in every presser he sits at with "Is Ryan Giggs coming on board?" "Who is your staff?" and all that sort of stuff.

It needs to be done in a concise, closed ended way so that his press conferences and public appearances can be focused on holland, and not answering questions on wether or not he's keeping Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Pretty obvious it's gonna be announced next Thursday.

(Note for the serious heads: Only obvious if u are a member at 2p2 and have browsed the bonus forums over the years otherwise this seems dumb!!)

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good results for United.

Earnings per share of £0.08 a beat by £0.02 with revenue of £115.5 million a beat by £10.55 million. Revenue up 25.9% year on year.

Ed Woodward doing a great job with the finances.

Had a quick gawk there myself.

Fully appreciate there are concerns and issues relating to transfers, and rightly or wrongly it's the main criteria for a lot of people. But going by the figures he is doing a magnificent job with the clubs finances and revenue growth.

Might be heaping that praise after a year outside of the champions league if we are still pulling in big names or paying big salaries.

Highlights
    • Commercial revenues of £42.8 million
      • Sponsorship revenue increased 43.5%.
    • Two new sponsorship deals announced in the third quarter – Aperol (global) and EuroFood (regional - Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam).
    • Broadcasting revenues increased 64.1% for the quarter and 35.7% for the year to date, due to the new FAPL domestic and international TV rights agreements, two additional Premier League home games and five more games were broadcast live during the quarter compared to the same period last year.

Commentary
    Ed Woodward, Executive Vice Chairman commented, “We once again generated record revenues and EBITDA as all of our businesses delivered impressive year over year growth. This puts us in a healthy financial position to continue to invest in the squad. Everyone at the Club is working hard to ensure the team is back challenging for the title and trophies next season.

Outlook
    For fiscal 2014, Manchester United continues to expect:
    • Revenue to be £420m to £430m.
    • Adjusted EBITDA to be £128m to £133m.
    Key Financials (unaudited)

* Adjusted EBITDA, adjusted profit for the period and adjusted basic and diluted earnings per share are non-IFRS measures. See “Non-IFRS Measures: Definitions and Use” below and the accompanying Supplemental Notes for the definitions and reconciliations for these non-IFRS measures and the reasons we believe these measures provide useful information to investors regarding the Group’s financial condition and results of operations.
    Revenue Analysis

Commercial
    Commercial revenue for the third quarter was £42.8 million, an increase of £6.8 million, or 18.9%, over the prior year quarter.
    • Sponsorship revenue for the third quarter was £30.7 million, an increase of £9.3 million, or 43.5%, primarily due to higher renewals and the activation of new global and regional sponsorships.
    • Retail, Merchandising, Apparel & Product Licensing revenue for the third quarter was £8.4 million, a decrease of £0.8 million. For the year to date, revenue was £28.2 million, an increase of £0.1 million, or 0.4%.
    • New Media & Mobile revenue for the third quarter was £3.7 million, a decrease of £1.7 million, due to the expiration of a few of our mobile partnerships.
    Broadcasting
    Broadcasting revenue for the third quarter was £35.6 million, an increase of £13.9 million, or 64.1%, over the prior year quarter, due to increased revenue from the Premier League domestic and international rights agreements, two additional home Premier League games, and having five additional Premier League games broadcast live .
    Matchday
    Matchday revenue for the third quarter was £37.1 million, an increase of £3.1 million, or 9.1%, over the prior year quarter, primarily due to playing two additional home Premier League games and one additional home Capital One Cup game, partly offset by playing three fewer home FA Cup games.
    Other Financial Information

Operating expenses
    Total operating expenses for the third quarter were £91.5 million, an increase of £12.5 million, or 15.8%, over the prior year quarter.
    Staff costs
    Staff costs for the third quarter were £53.4 million, an increase of £8.5 million, or 18.9%, primarily due to the impact of player acquisitions and renegotiated player contracts.
    Other operating expenses
    Other operating expenses for the third quarter were £22.1 million, an increase of £0.3 million, or 1.4% due primarily to the increases in fixed costs from foreign exchange losses and higher sponsorship servicing being largely offset by lower variable costs from three fewer FA Cup matches.
    Depreciation & amortization of players’ registrations
    Depreciation for the third quarter was £2.2 million, an increase of £0.3 million, or 15.8%, over the prior year quarter. Amortization of players’ registrations was £13.8 million, an increase of £3.4 million, or 32.7%, over the prior year quarter. The unamortized balance of players’ registrations at 31 March 2014 was £161.8 million.
    Net finance costs
    Net finance costs for the third quarter were £5.9 million, a decrease of £12.4 million, or 67.8%, over the prior year quarter. The decrease was primarily due to a £2.8 million reduction in interest payable on our secured borrowings following the refinancing in June 2013 and a £9.5 million net foreign exchange loss on the re-translation of our US dollar net borrowings in the prior year quarter.
    On 1 July 2013, the Group started hedging the foreign exchange risk, in our income statement, on a portion of our future US dollar revenues using our US dollar borrowings as the hedging instrument. As a result, FX gains or losses arising on re-translation of our US dollar borrowings are now initially recognized in other comprehensive income, rather than recognized in the income statement immediately. Amounts previously recognized in other comprehensive income and accumulated in a hedging reserve are subsequently reclassified into the income statement in the same accounting period and within the same income statement line (i.e. commercial revenue) as the underlying future US dollar revenues. This will reduce foreign exchange volatility in our income statement.
    Tax
    The tax expense for the third quarter was £9.5 million reflecting an effective full-year tax rate of 40.1% and a charge of £0.5 million relating to the adjustment of deductions in respect of previous years, in line with the most recently filed US tax return. The prior year adjustment includes the finalisation of the deductible element of the ‘step-up’, previously based on management’s best estimate at the 30 June 2013 year-end. This compares to a credit of £6.7 million in the prior year quarter.
    Cash flows
    Net cash used in operating activities for the third quarter was £12.6 million, a decrease of £11.0 million from £23.6 million net cash used in the prior year quarter, primarily due to a reduction in interest paid.
    Capital expenditure on property, plant and equipment for the third quarter was £1.7 million, an increase of £0.4 million from the prior year quarter.
    Net player capital expenditure for the third quarter was £23.3 million, an increase of £21.9 million from the prior year quarter.

Conference Call Information

The Company’s conference call to review the third quarter fiscal 2014 results will be broadcast live over the internet today, 15 May 2014 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time and will be available on Manchester United’s investor relations website at http://ir.manutd.com. Thereafter, a replay of the webcast will be available for thirty days.

About Manchester United

Manchester United is one of the most popular and successful sports team in the world, playing one of the most popular spectator sports on Earth.
    Through our 136-year heritage we have won 62 trophies, enabling us to develop the world’s leading sports brand and a global community of 659 million followers. Our large, passionate community provides Manchester United with a worldwide platform to generate significant revenue from multiple sources, including sponsorship, merchandising, product licensing, new media & mobile, broadcasting and matchday.

Had a quick gawk there myself.

Fully appreciate there are concerns and issues relating to transfers, and rightly or wrongly it's the main criteria for a lot of people. But going by the figures he is doing a magnificent job with the clubs finances and revenue growth.

Might be heaping that praise after a year outside of the champions league if we are still pulling in big names or paying big salaries.

Yeah, totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This delay in naming the new manager is doing no one any favours.
    LVG seems to be a done deal and he looks a good fit for the club so it's baffling why no announcement has been named. It's reminding me of last summer with the "we'll see what happens approach.

Will be interesting to see what Woodward has to say later but right now I've zero faith in the man.

Badly missing David Gill, would love if he returned.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

David Ornstein
    @bbcsport_david
    Follow

Understand Van Gaal has agreed 3yr deal to become #mufc manager, with Giggs assistant. Club refusing to confirm/deny: http://bbc.in/1jx5LLz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hmm a 3 yr deal. What's that about I wonder. You would expect 5 years with an terms etc

Headshot wrote: »
    hmm a 3 yr deal. What's that about I wonder. You would expect 5 years with an terms etc

Costs less to sack...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

• Commercial revenues of £42.8 million
      • Sponsorship revenue increased 43.5%.
    • Two new sponsorship deals announced in the third quarter – Aperol (global) and EuroFood (regional - Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam).
    • Broadcasting revenues increased 64.1% for the quarter and 35.7% for the year to date, due to the new FAPL domestic and international TV rights agreements, two additional Premier League home games and five more games were broadcast live during the quarter compared to the same period last year.
    Commercial revenue for the third quarter was £42.8 million, an increase of £6.8 million, or 18.9%, over the prior year quarter.
    • Sponsorship revenue for the third quarter was £30.7 million, an increase of £9.3 million, or 43.5%, primarily due to higher renewals and the activation of new global and regional sponsorships.
    • Retail, Merchandising, Apparel & Product Licensing revenue for the third quarter was £8.4 million, a decrease of £0.8 million. For the year to date, revenue was £28.2 million, an increase of £0.1 million, or 0.4%.
    • New Media & Mobile revenue for the third quarter was £3.7 million, a decrease of £1.7 million, due to the expiration of a few of our mobile partnerships.

Will be interesting to see what Woodward has to say later but right now I've zero faith in the man.

Woodward obviously doing a terrible job...

• Advertisement

This delay in naming the new manager is doing no one any favours.
    LVG seems to be a done deal and he looks a good fit for the club so it's baffling why no announcement has been named. It's reminding me of last summer with the "we'll see what happens approach.

How can you have zero faith in Ed Woodward?

The man is doing a superb job, despite the large debt £351 million which is down from £367 million a year ago. The club is generating more money that ever, it is in profit and he said "This puts us in a healthy financial position to continue to invest in the squad."

If United was making a loss and in trouble with the debt then yes I would have zero faith in the man, but if I was a shareholder and I was earlier in the year, then I would be saying "more of the same please Mr Woodward".

He's a big reputation manager so expectations are possibly higher for him.

I also imagine like alot of commentators on the "United way" being a bit of a falacy. Post Ferguson we are, and should be, like every other major club in the world.

Three year plans, making managerial changes if things are clearly not working out.

I'd also imagine there is a lesson learned here. Providing a six year contract gives the assumption there is room to find your feet and implemiment change slowly. If Liverpool did anything positive this year, is completely expose" transition" for what it is, utter nonsense and an excuse for poorly performing clubs or managers.

I might have argued for transition before, but I'm now of the opinion it's rubbish and a big club can't have time in transition.

Should this not work out and Van Gaal needing to be removed, it reflects less poorly on the club cutting short a three year deal, then say a five or a six year one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

isnt van Gaal 65 in 3 years time?

Ryan Giggs will be our manger when he retires, thats been clear from a few sources in the last 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ryan Giggs will be our manger when he retires, thats been clear from a few sources in the last 3 weeks.

Really? What sources have claimed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

bren2001 wrote: »
    Evra is out of contract. The club have the option to extend but are not exercising the option.

Could still be a pawn in a transfer from Juve. As in we agree not to exercise the option, giving Juve a free transfer in effect, if they play ball on a Vidal transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Could still be a pawn in a transfer from Juve. As in we agree not to exercise the option, giving Juve a free transfer in effect, if they play ball on a Vidal transfer.

I'd throw the whole chess set at juve for Vidal!

I'd throw the whole chess set at juve for Vidal!

All the pawns given they are one dimensional :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Rakitic or kroos , who would ye guys prefer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rakitic or kroos , who would ye guys prefer ?

Are they similar?

Just wondering.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement