Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Are they similar?

Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Rakitic or kroos , who would ye guys prefer ?

Kroos...simples...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Cost of non CL qualification put at mid- £30 millions by Woodward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Single digit million pound payoff to Moyes and info will be provided in Q4 results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

irishfeen wrote: »
    Cost of non CL qualification put at mid- £30 millions by Woodward.

He seemed to be generous with the estimation too as the other analyst stated his models had expected a slightly lower outcome.

The main thing I took from the call was the forecast of increased wage bill (I think he mentioned high teens growth). But with Vidic, Rio, Giggs? Evra? Macheda etc all going to be off the wage bill it's clear they are expecting a number of high salaried players to be coming in.

He also tried to explain the growth (when questioned) as increased bonuses and appearance fee's (common for young players and old players) but with much less games next season you would imagine these would actually go down. It could also be the case that some large contract's (possibly Rooney) now have lower base salaries and higher appearance fee's than previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

We're outperforming any other football club with our mobile app. All signs point to a positive future.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

#mufc Ed Woodward expects "an announcement [re new manager] in due course. In the meantime we continue to be active in the transfer market"

Oliver Kay on Twitter. Genuinely think it's just a matter of showing respect to the Dutch FA now not appointing him publicly before their weekend friendly.

Hopefully plenty of things happening in the background.

Securing a starting LB with world class potential for the next 15 odd years, would be a fantastic start. And circa £30m sounds about right considering his nationality and he MU added tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Things are looking good. Would be very happy to see Shaw wrapped up before the WC. Then 2 midfielders and perhaps a CB before the window shuts. I think that's achievable if done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hands up who new we had a mobile app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

hadn't a clue Mitch and can't fuppin well find it

link please Equaliser for us useless people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

RobertKK wrote: »
    How can you have zero faith in Ed Woodward?

The man is doing a superb job, despite the large debt £351 million which is down from £367 million a year ago. The club is generating more money that ever, it is in profit and he said "This puts us in a healthy financial position to continue to invest in the squad."

If United was making a loss and in trouble with the debt then yes I would have zero faith in the man, but if I was a shareholder and I was earlier in the year, then I would be saying "more of the same please Mr Woodward".

Granted off the field Woodward has performed well so far. Not much good though when we're 7th in the league. Last summers transfer window was a disgrace. Also the constant Leaks to the media would never have happened under Gill. The way he handled the Rio and Moyes Situations was also embarrassing.
    But if fans are happy as long as the club is making money then happy days!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

brinty wrote: »
    hadn't a clue Mitch and can't fuppin well find it

link please Equaliser for us useless people!!

Wonder does he actually mean Twitter and Facebook followers, as opposed to an actual App. I would assume that to be the case really, as I've never seen anthing, anywhere, about a mobile app - you'd imagine they'd be plugging it on the site, mutv, twitter and facebook if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I had heard about it's development alright.

It's targeted at the developing fanbase in the likes of Asia. Will probably be a massive hit.

The Asian market has a high acceptance to mobile apps and even moreso subscriptions and pricing models based around them.

The likes of me and you would probably baulk at the idea of paying for a united mobile app, but yet a guy in Asia would see it as a real pride thing.

Just my take on it from other experience in other sports/industries. Asian markets are much more accepting to "fees" for certain things then the European market,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Headshot wrote: »
    hmm a 3 yr deal. What's that about I wonder. You would expect 5 years with an terms etc

Would take him till he is 65, can re evaluate then

Wonder does he actually mean Twitter and Facebook followers, as opposed to an actual App. I would assume that to be the case really, as I've never seen anthing, anywhere, about a mobile app - you'd imagine they'd be plugging it on the site, mutv, twitter and facebook if they did.

I think they encompass Twitter etc followers and exposure under Social Media. There is an actual MUFC app, it's just not available in Europe AFAIK, and had early release to new target/developing markets to see if it takes.

I won't go as far as saying it's a plasticy fanbase, that's too much of a generalisation. But there is a high proportion of fans in Asia, India etc. who jump allegiences frequently to support the best team, and it's not even restricted to the one league.

Obviously as a club that has been there longer then the rest, and had tangible characters like Park and now Kagawa it helps in raising the profile and cementing a fanbase, but additional works like this mobile app, fansites official sanctioned by the club and connection projects like official fanclubs and event days help maintain the numbers if and where possible.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

It's targeted at the developing fanbase in the likes of Asia. Will probably be a massive hit.

The Asian market has a high acceptance to mobile apps and even moreso subscriptions and pricing models based around them.

The likes of me and you would probably baulk at the idea of paying for a united mobile app, but yet a guy in Asia would see it as a real pride thing.

Just my take on it from other experience in other sports/industries. Asian markets are much more accepting to "fees" for certain things then the European market,
    Agreed - it could be a it. But you can't be outperforming people with something that is actually still in development, unless it has been released in Asia and hidden from europe.

The entire united media strategy needs redoing though.

MUTV, the official site and the facebook/twitter feeds are terrible. MUTV is done on such a low budget, and makes horrid use of the access they should have. Compare the City website to the United one, and things like the tunnel cam. Streets ahead of us.

Did see they are looking for a new social media manager the other week, its needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No, but I just downloaded a Man Utd app, not sure if official one or what but one story on it says Fergie quizzed Conte about Vidal.
    Here it is the story - http://www.clubcall.com/manchester-united/fergie-quizzed-conte-over-vidal-1725645.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I did and it's good too.

Just for anyone interested, this is the app in question afaik

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mu.muclubapp

It only came out like a few days ago but I thought I remember reading it was released in Asia a while back as a beta platform to gauge feedback etc.

In fairness there is good scope for a good constructed app, highlights, interviews, news and the likes. The club definitely hasnt ever properly harnessed the potential of behind the scenes access and footage. I think this is something that Ferguson was much against, to not succumb to what he might have felt was circus stuff, Van Gaal might be the same.

I'm under the impression that Woodward is keen to develop the clubs behind the scenes access for fans for social media, MUTV and other mediums.

City do it pretty well as do other clubs. Simplest of things like a player walking around introducing backroom staff and explaining what they do here or there, this machine does that this machine does this, is stupidly interesting stuff we would all happily bawk over.

That nonsense IMO. I'm Asian and I don't see it as any pride to have ManUtd app. Also it's free download as it's tied up with Airtel in India.

Just like any of you Irish guys, Asians get all the access to ManUtd news via Internet and see no special benefits from Mobile Apps.

• Advertisement

Just for anyone interested, this is the app in question afaik

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mu.muclubapp

It only came out like a few days ago.

Awww, it isn't compatible with my phone - lazy feckers!

Did see they are looking for a new social media manager the other week, its needed!

If only I could keep my **** to 140 characters :'(

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That nonsense IMO. I'm Asian and I don't see it as any pride to have ManUtd app. Also it's free download as it's tied up with Airtel in India.

Just like any of you Irish guys, Asians get all the access to ManUtd news via Internet and see no special benefits from Mobile Apps.

Just relaying my experience and knowledge in that regard mate, I did say I wouldn't like to generalise, of course there is the exceptions.

But there is a general acceptance, be it right or wrong, it comes from market studies and trends, that Asian markets are more receptive to fee structures than European markets.

I should say that I imagine this will be available to the US market who also follows a similar trend.

I actually cannot download the app myself, I'd say it utilises some functionality on phones in other regions not available in the EU.

Just relaying my experience and knowledge in that regard mate, I did say I wouldn't like to generalise, of course there is the exceptions.

But there is a general acceptance, be it right or wrong, it comes from market studies and trends, that Asian markets are more receptive to fee structures than European markets.

I should say that I imagine this will be available to the US market who also follows a similar trend.

I actually cannot download the app myself, I'd say it utilises some functionality on phones in other regions not available in the EU.

Apologies if my post came out bit harsh.

My post was about Asians seeing the app as some pride thing, believe me no one see in that way. Just a cool free app to get quick news, so nothing wrong with downloading it. Not sure about fee as it's free in India.

• Awww, it isn't compatible with my phone - lazy feckers!

Android FTW

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Android FTW

It is - HTC One M8 - says it isn't compatible with my device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Awww, it isn't compatible with my phone - lazy feckers!

It's incompatible with all my android devices, ranging from Android version 2.3 up to 4.3. I blame Ed Woodward! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Not compatible with Galaxy S2?? Think Woodward was talking out his bum, no-one can download this thing.

• It is - HTC One M8 - says it isn't compatible with my device.
    Balls...same phone as me...

I shall eat mine as punishment :pac:

It's incompatible with all my android devices, ranging from Android version 2.3 up to 4.3. I blame Ed Woodward! :D

Its a farce is what it is. A farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Its a farce is what it is. A farce.

It's the Fellaini of apps is what it is. All promise, no end product.

Apologies if my post came out bit harsh.

My post was about Asians seeing the app as some pride thing, believe me no one see in that way. Just a cool free app to get quick news, so nothing wrong with downloading it. Not sure about fee as it's free in India.

The app itself is free, but some content is behind paywalls afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

They`ve all but sealed the rights to distribute on Android lads.

Dont be panicking. These things take time in the real world.:pac:

It's the Fellaini of apps is what it is. All promise, no end product.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzQH8EZoBx8d8y7KEhkcLKogVi4mdow7DnbYk_Gp_cVgH4-cwxH3iQkw

adox wrote: »
    They`ve all but sealed the rights to distribute on Android lads.

Dont be panicking. These things take time in the real world.:pac:

Touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Woodword says he expects United's wage bill to increase by ~15% by next year due to incoming transfers.

That would be an increase of around £30m. Considering Vidic and Ferdinand are gone, Giggs and Evra are likely to leave along with a few other players - that's making an allowance for a lot of big money earners to join the club.

The app itself is free, but some content is behind paywalls afaik

I tried to check out the videos but it asked me to create account. I did it, it was free account and I was able to check all the exclusive videos.

Maybe this is just for Airtel users as they are one of ManUtd sponsors.

Blatter wrote: »
    Woodword says he expects United's wage bill to increase by ~15% by next year due to incoming transfers.

That would be an increase of around £30m. Considering Vidic and Ferdinand are gone, Giggs and Evra are likely to leave along with a few other players - that's making an allowance for a lot of big money earners to join the club.

Link for that? I saw many of his quotes but couldn't find this one..

Link for that? I saw many of his quotes but couldn't find this one..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-uniteds-next-boss-louis-3546226
    Woodward warned that United's wage bill is likely to soar in the "mid-teens per cent" by the end of the financial year, because incoming transfers in the summer.

• Advertisement

I tried to check out the videos but it asked me to create account. I did it, it was free account and I was able to check all the exclusive videos.

Maybe this is just for Airtel users as they are one of ManUtd sponsors.

Could well be, similar to like how Vodafone customers get Spotify premium for free, I'm sure there are free premium subscriptions to certain network customers.

I just noticed on the app page itself it has a tick beside "contains paid content"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Granted off the field Woodward has performed well so far. Not much good though when we're 7th in the league. Last summers transfer window was a disgrace. Also the constant Leaks to the media would never have happened under Gill. The way he handled the Rio and Moyes Situations was also embarrassing.
    But if fans are happy as long as the club is making money then happy days!

post-29112-Bryan-Cranston-speechless-gif-N4t3.gif

Don't have a clue how reliable this italian media outlet is but they're claiming that SAF offered Conte €30-32m for Vidal last night.

Surely his fee would be much higher than that!

http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/calcio/calcio/2014/articoli/1034883/ferguson-a-torino-ha-chiesto-vidal.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I don't see Van Gaal splashing at the rate people expect. Could see Janmaat coming over as well as a CB and Shaw and him to promote a ton of players. We have promising young lads and i could see him giving it a go with them from the start. He doesn't care about throwing young lads in if he rates them, his first season at Bayern he threw Badstuber, Alaba and Muller into the first team consistently with the 21 year old Badstuber being the oldest of them.

He'll not go over 100 million i feel, just on that basis. If he comes some developmental signings like Kongolo or Depay could follow though, at a lower cost. Van Gaal has a very high opinion of both and will probably take them to Brazil despite how raw they are.
    One interesting notion i havent heard talked of a lot though is possibly Robben? Bayern have a lot of depth and could be persuaded, he's not as central a figure as a year ago. Van Gaal is a big fan of him and Robben has a great opinion of him.

Also: interesting bit of LVG trivia, he gave Xavi his Champions League debut at the Nou Camp in 1999 against us in the second of two 3-3 draws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Don't have a clue how reliable this italian media outlet is but they're claiming that SAF offered Conte €30-32m for Vidal last night.

http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/calcio/calcio/2014/articoli/1034883/ferguson-a-torino-ha-chiesto-vidal.shtml

why would it be much higher than 30m?? 30m is a huge amount for a player unproven in the premier league...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

He's just undergone surgery on his knee, so that could reduce the fee considerably.

• Advertisement

Fergie still pulling strings then,hope he backs off when LVG is installed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

bangkok wrote: »
    why would it be much higher than 30m?? 30m is a huge amount for a player unproven in the premier league...

30M euro is around 25M pounds.. Less than Shaw or Lallana... Arturo Vidal...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

De Telegraaf saying Frans Hoek will be the goalkeeper coach and Max Reckers the video analyst.

bangkok wrote: »

Because he's different class. One of the best, if not the best CM in the world.
    He's just undergone surgery on his knee, so that could reduce the fee considerably.

He's been included in Chile's World Cup squad and was only playing a couple of weeks ago, I don't think it's serious enough to cause a significant drop in his fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

He'd still be better than Cleverley & Fellaini combined with only one knee!

£36m is the magic number apparently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement