Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Are we still guessing or is LVG done and dusted, if its done what possible reason is there for withholding it. I'm getting nervous here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Are we still guessing or is LVG done and dusted, if its done what possible reason is there for withholding it. I'm getting nervous here

The dutch have a friendly coming up. Rumour is it'll be announced after as we wants no interference with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Yeah because what I said wasn't a valid point? The £27m on Fellaini was a big business mistake & the public talking of bids for a player who had no interest in joining was also silly, in my opinion. If you think that's me being an idiot then fine but I wouldn't agree with you.

Cant believe Im doing this................

OK, its not like Moyes has any sort of a decent record in the transfer market is it? Certainly not renowned for it

Also not like Moyes discussing a player he was interested in would be 1 time out of maybe 10, definitely not.

Should certainly use a large sweeping brush when talking about things instead of actually making points on particular situations. Its easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Still a few issues to be ironed out I would imagine eg Giggs and Fergies involvement, wages, vision for the club, transfer targets etc.

Ed Woodward gets a lot of stick on this thread but I cant help but feel David Gill would've this signed,sealed,delivered by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

thelad95 wrote: »
    Still a few issues to be ironed out I would imagine eg Giggs and Fergies involvement, wages, vision for the club, transfer targets etc.

Ed Woodward gets a lot of stick on this thread but I cant help but feel David Gill would've this signed,sealed,delivered by now.

I think if david gill was still invovled last summers transfer shambles wouldnt have happened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

People seem to have this view of Gill as the second coming of Christ. The stories doing the rounds is that Van Gaal will be announced after the upcoming Dutch Friendly and the issue is with Dutch F.A. Not us. But this is Woodward's fault. Of course? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's why I'm happy not to see LVG in Manchester. He is the Dutch Manager. I'm sure he is taking WC squad selection serious.

It would say more about him in bad light if he did not give a crap about Holland and cared more about United job being done.

How people can not get this into their head is beyond me.

He is being Professional on the duty in hand. I admire LVG more for it.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    [/B]

People seem to have this view of Gill as the second coming of Christ. The stories doing the rounds is that Van Gaal will be announced after the upcoming Dutch Friendly and the issue is with Dutch F.A. Not us. But this is Woodward's fault. Of course? :/

Perhaps if Gill was involved there wouldn't be an issue with the Dutch FA because it would've been sorted by now. I vaguely remember someone mentioning the Peter principle here once which suggests businesses risk incompetence by promoting from within to managerial positions instead of appointing someone with a proven track record. I'm not saying Woodward is incompetent he's just not as shrewd as Gill was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

It's why I'm happy not to see LVG in Manchester. He is the Dutch Manager. I'm sure he is taking WC squad selection serious.

It would say more about him in bad light if he did not give a crap about Holland and cared more about United job being done.

It simple Kew. When I look at any situation, I will always take the widest possible viewpoint and see how it affects me. LVG not being announced bothers me. That is why I have chosen not to get this into my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if it was done (and contracts signed) it would have been announced as it would have been illegal for United to withold that information from the NYSE.

I do think it is very close to all being agreed, then signed off, but I think there are still some discussions going on, maybe about the coaching team, that is holding things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Because not everyone thinks he has to be in manchester as you seem to think. Moyes wasn't in manchester when we announced him as manager. It was announced, he took pretty much no questions on it and his first official call as United manager came nearly about a month and a half later on the first day of pre-season.

LVG could be announced, and let get on with everything Dutch related - he doesn't have to go anywhere. An official announcement on the club site, just like the Moyes appointment and an official presentation when the time is right.

"How people can not get this into their head is beyond me."

if it was done (and contracts signed) it would have been announced as it would have been illegal for United to withold that information from the NYSE.

I do think it is very close to all being agreed, then signed off, but I think there are still some discussions going on, maybe about the coaching team, that is holding things up.

Pretty much agree on your second paragraph.

But I don't think that is too much to worry about. I rather it takes time if it avoids trouble in long run. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

It took over a season for Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen to settle in with Liverpool and both have had good seasons. Im hoping that Fellaini will adapt and show what he can do. I said at the time that we should have went for James McCarthy and i still think he would have been great for cheap enough money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Friendly on Saturday and he then has Sunday and Monday off. So in his own spare time, he's entitled to fly over if he so wishes and be in Manchester for any official announcement. I think the Dutch squad reassembles on Tuesday lunchtime, so LVG has plenty of time to take care of business and return to take command of the WC prep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I do worry that it could be the Dutch FA being snotty, and we won't get an "offical" confirmation until his duty is fulfilled on that account.

Because not everyone thinks he has to be in manchester as you seem to think. Moyes wasn't in manchester when we announced him as manager. It was announced, he took pretty much no questions on it and his first official call as United manager came nearly about a month and a half later on the first day of pre-season.

LVG could be announced, and let get on with everything Dutch related - he doesn't have to go anywhere. An official announcement on the club site, just like the Moyes appointment and an official presentation when the time is right.

"How people can not get this into their head is beyond me."

They need to come to full agreement before he can be officially announced.

If small things need to be cleared up then what's the problem?

Would you rather he be officially announced and then rumbles after?

Unless you know something I don't which is fair enough, but him not being announced by now is not a major worry for club. Let's make sure both sides know story before official announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Perhaps if Gill was involved there wouldn't be an issue with the Dutch FA because it would've been sorted by now. I vaguely remember someone mentioning the Peter principle here once which suggests businesses risk incompetence by promoting from within to managerial positions instead of appointing someone with a proven track record. I'm not saying Woodward is incompetent he's just not as shrewd as Gill was.

If you're not implying the Peter principle then why are you bringing it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Forgetting LVG - any transfer news today lads?? was in Dublin all day for work so missed out on the gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Waaaay outta the loop for past couple days - 900 odd posts in here since I last read it....
    Miss anything exciting? :)

Gill was far from infallible, nobody is. You would swear we never missed out on a player or signed duds under the old regime

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Forgetting LVG - any transfer news today lads?? was in Dublin all day for work so missed out on the gossip.
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    Waaaay outta the loop for past couple days - 900 odd posts in here since I last read it....

no transfer news bar maybe bid for Vidal. Although nothing official or worth trusting.

hopefully LVG can be official within next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Al Capwned wrote: »

Van Gaal is manager

He has signed,Strootman,Hummells,Shaw,Kroos,Rakitic and Vidal

Bebe has been made club captain,natural leader of men :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon we need 2 CB'S I dont trust what we have now to partner a new CB like Hummels for example (wouldnt be my first choice or 2nd choice really) I dont think Jones and Smalling are good enough to be starting. Evans might get away with it but I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

bmcc10 wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you know nobody from Turin.

He meant Timolin!

It's in Kildare for the uninitiated!! Big spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

People panicking over no announcement need to take a chill pill. The picture of Giggs in Holland yesterday pretty much confirms that LVG will be our new manager. As someone mentioned already perhaps no formal announcement has been made because he wants to concentrate on his current role with an upcoming friendly and one can only admire his pure commitment and dedication/professionalism. The season has only finished so no rush with this and I would be fairly certain that transfer targets have ben discussed and identified and Woodward and his fellow staff have been actively involved in trying to push these deals though. We don't need a manager around to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Kate Abdo.

Seriously lads, Kate Abdo.

Sorry what were we talking about. Got distracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    He meant Timolin!

It's in Kildare for the uninitiated!! Big spot!

O'Briens >> The Sportsmans
    ;)

Timmyctc wrote: »
    If you're not implying the Peter principle then why are you bringing it up?

It makes for interesting reading in regard to Woodward. He has shown to be fantastic in negotiating commercial deals but it seems his people skills (especially if the Rio story is true) leave a lot to be desired.

That one that blows the kiss in the Nike Ad with Ronaldo gets me everytime.

Sorry continue there don't mind me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Minne McGee.. Find her on Twitter,fine lady!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

It makes for interesting reading in regard to Woodward. He has shown to be fantastic in negotiating commercial deals but it seems his people skills (especially if the Rio story is true) leave a lot to be desired.

Not really. Gill was promoted internally too, just like Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Blatter wrote: »
    Don't have a clue how reliable this italian media outlet is but they're claiming that SAF offered Conte €30-32m for Vidal last night.

Surely his fee would be much higher than that!

http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/calcio/calcio/2014/articoli/1034883/ferguson-a-torino-ha-chiesto-vidal.shtml

Conte is not in charge of transfers at Juventus. That tells all you should need to know about the rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kryogen wrote: »
    Gill was far from infallible, nobody is. You would swear we never missed out on a player or signed duds under the old regime

Certainly did land his fair share of clangers.

That one that blows the kiss in the Nike Ad with Ronaldo gets me everytime.

Sorry continue there don't mind me....

Just realised that she is actually Ronaldo Girlfriend.

He has everything

Everything....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dahat wrote: »
    Minne McGee.. Find her on Twitter,fine lady!!!

she is absolutely sensational. apart from her looks, any idea why she has become so twitter famous?

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    Conte is not in charge of transfers at Juventus. That tells all you should need to know about the rumour.

Heard that as well. It's stupid if true.

she is absolutely sensational. apart from her looks, any idea why she has become so twitter famous?

BLD9ofzCUAEYH8Y.jpg:thumb?

Not sure this article was posted

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/15/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-holland?CMP=twt_gu

Not a whole lot of substance in it, or new information, but again its being treated as a fact that he is the de facto manager of the club by practically everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

If United sign Arturo Vidal, I think I'll dance in the street.

..........................De Gea...........................

Coleman.....Jones.......Hummels.....Shaw

............................Song.............................

.........Kagawa......Vidal.......Mata..............

...........................Rooney..........................

.........................Van Persie.......................

Spend circa £120m to make our first team look like this...any objections?

The fullbacks would provide the width.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kryogen wrote: »
    Not sure this article was posted

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/15/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-holland?CMP=twt_gu

Not a whole lot of substance in it, or new information, but again its being treated as a fact that he is the de facto manager of the club by practically everyone.

Was just about to post it myself :P

Robben, Muller and Kroos....we're signing half the Bayern team apparently :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

shadowcomplex now has a nemesis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No way Utd will sign five first team players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man I would of adored a younger Robben but he's to old now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Keno wrote: »
    shadowcomplex now has a nemesis.

tumblr_mlrrvqY2iJ1s5tlmxo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We can't go buying all shiny new young players to go into the team, as long as Robben is the only older player we go after I don't really mind.

I reckon he has two seasons left at a high level, by then another young left winger may be available or Januzaj will hopefully be further developed to make a claim for a permanent first 11 place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Didn't realise Vidal was 27. Thats a lot of money to be quoted for a 27 year old if the reported price of 30 million is correct. Although it seems like every good player is 30 million no matter what.

If we dont end the Summer with buying either Kroos, Reus, Vidal or Muller I have to say I'll be a bit sad. As unrealistic as it all is I still can't help want one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

GSPfan wrote: »
    Didn't realise Vidal was 27. Thats a lot of money to be quoted for a 27 year old if the reported price of 30 million is correct. Although it seems like every good player is 30 million no matter what.

If we dont end the Summer with buying either Kroos, Reus, Vidal or Muller I have to say I'll be a bit sad. As unrealistic as it all is I still can't help want one of them.

The talk is Reus will not leave Dortmund this summer, but could possibly next summer. He is said to be an admirer of United, but that could be like how we could look at the Bundesliga and admire both Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

Muller and Van Gaal have a close relationship, a deep respect for eachother from quotes I read from both people.
    Whether Muller wants to leave Bayern is another matter, but would be fantastic.

Kroos, if United give him the wages he wants - Raphael Honigstein said at Bayern wages are associated with your status at Bayern and the head people at Bayern don't seem to want to put him on a par with the their top paid players. I would give this a real possibility.

Vidal, who knows...with Van Gaal I would say the chances are higher than what they were under Moyes in name recognition sense.

Xavi is another possibility, there are quotes and if they are true or not I don't know, but he is quoted as having said that big names will want to play for Van Gaal, and Xavi is linked with United, City and Arsenal.
    34 years old but still better than all our midfielders.

Van Gaal gives me hope of some big names signing. Big name managers in a big name club will attract big name players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

We can't go buying all shiny new young players to go into the team, as long as Robben is the only older player we go after I don't really mind.

I reckon he has two seasons left at a high level, by then another young left winger may be available or Januzaj will hopefully be further developed to make a claim for a permanent first 11 place

Robben only signed a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Amusing story...
    A Manchester United fan who lost his £10 bet with a friend after Liverpool finished higher in the table decided to pay out in 50 pence pieces - one for each of United's league titles - in a commemorative frame.

BnlJVHlIYAAEwux.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Alright lads really enjoy reading the forum. Long time lurker first time poster! Some great posters on here and hopefully I will be able to contribute this summer/season.

Anyone watch the Uefa cup final last night? Really think we should be making a move for Rakitic, has really impressed me any time I've seen him this season. Just the kind of player we need in midfield. Anyone know what his situation at Sevilla is?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement