Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I hadn't even thought about our captain situation until now tbh. I'd give it to Rooney. For all the giving out that's been done about him more often than not his attitude on the pitch has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Players we should target and get able- Kroos(maybe) Sissoko, Rakitic ,Ander Herrea,Koke Strootman Shaw looks potentaillly a deal. There is talk of Sanchez potentially leaving however it may be wishfull thinking we could sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

evans is now first choice center back and we will sign another one, Jones and Smalling certainly are not ahead of him in the pecking order anyway.

adnan has young and valencia for competition.

You have no idea which order the centre backs will be in under van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd give the captaincy to Mata.

He's dreamy.

I would rate evans as a better option than smalling and jones. I remember thinking back in 2012 that smalling and jones were potentially a great partnership to take over from Rio and Vida sadly they haven't progressed as we would have hoped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter wrote: »

Smalling seems most like a Van Gaal type CB to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

wadacrack wrote: »
    I would rate evans as a better option than smalling and jones. I remember thinking back in 2012 that smalling and jones were potentially a great partnership to take over from Rio and Vida sadly they haven't progressed as we would have hoped

How many games did they get together, both as central defenders though? When we knew the season was a right off, i'd have started the both of them to get some experience with each other.

Still think theres hope there, although I do believe LVG will want to build his team around a Hummels or Garray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Blatter wrote: »

its very clear Evans is a better CB than the other 2. more experienced, more proven, better footballer.

its like you saying that we cant pick the keeper when we all know it will be De Gea and likewise we all know Mata, Rooney, RVP, will be playing in his first 11.

Van Gaal however may finally be the man to get the best out of Jones and turn him into a footballer. Smalling has more potential but seems even more brittle than Jones. interesting to see Keane say that Jones needs to toughen up as he is always injured.....he is always injured because he is wreckless, he just throws himself into tackles and has no control of himself when he is off his feet. Van Gaal needs to get that out of him and fast.

Fenix wrote: »
    How many games did they get together, both as central defenders though? When we knew the season was a right off, i'd have started the both of them to get some experience with each other.

Still think theres hope there, although I do believe LVG will want to build his team around a Hummels or Garray.
    I think a defender of this level is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rooney would be my choice.

• Any updates today lads? Or just the general daily squabbles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fabregas to United doing the rounds on twitter again, I wonder I just wonder...

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any updates today lads? Or just the general daily squabbles :pac:

this place has actually been really relaxed the last week or two, the amount of "squabbles" while still here, has decreased dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Took a look at total spending since the PL was set up for the top 6 spending clubs....Arsenal figures are shocking if your a fan of theirs.

united rank 4th in terms of total spent (Chelsea, City, Liverpool)
    United rank 4th in terms of total income (Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool)
    United rank 3rd in terms of net spend (Chelsea, City)

=========Spend===========Income============Net Totals

Arsenal
    £435,965,000.00----£373,174,000.00
    £62,791,000.00
    Man Utd----£613,850,000.00----£318,740,000.00
    £295,110,000.00
    Man City----£806,380,000.00----£234,953,000.00
    £571,427,000.00
    Liverpool----£650,305,000.00----£362,470,000.00
    £287,835,000.00
    Chelsea
    £951,099,000.00----£305,075,000.00
    £646,024,000.00
    Spurs
    £577,250,000.00----£419,517,500.00
    £157,732,500.00

When you consider that City were out of the PL for a number of years and spent nothing for most seasons pre Mansour their spend is staggering.

You are right though the Arsenal spend is shocking. Puts Wengers achievements in perspective. A really great manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Liam O wrote: »
    Can't believe Kroos was called overrated today. I remember 4 years ago I was going mad about him going into the WC and nobody had a clue who he was, I was in Germany with a bunch of Irish people too so it's not like they wouldn't have been exposed to him. Then 2 years ago I was similar with a bunch of people who'd know a lot more about football than the original group and people still knew very little about him. It only seems to have dawned on people just how good he is this season after the Arsenal games. From when he was 18-19 he was absolutely top class but still would be less known than Gotse, Muller, Khedira and so many others around the world who he has achieved much more than. It must play on his mind a bit that he gets shunned for these guys.

I believe that was the tournament (2012) I had said he would announce himself on the world stage, have been following him closely since 2010-11 I would say, wouldnt have tipped him to be big at the 2010 WC for sure though

There was a thread around the time for predictions at Euro 2012, I mentioned it there but can't find the thread, the only post showing up is one I made after it, but around the same time...weird..

I would love it, love it (yes Kevin) if we could sign him, still don't think its very realistic, but with Van Gaal I have allowed myself to believe in a little bit more far fetched things, players wanting to play for him now being a factor maybe.

Thought he was going to be an excellent number 10 back in the day, which he is, but he is naturally developing as a deeper midfielder too which is even more what we need, as Homer said, he is as close to a Paul Scholes as you are going to get

• Advertisement

I miss Paul Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We've all seen what Van Persie did when captain at Arsenal, and the interview he gave after the Olympiakos 1st leg I think it was, not captain material.

I remeber seeing Kroos at the u17 european tournament(always on Eurosport) in 2007. Really stood out for Germany. Was a much more offensive player .Playing as an out and out ten. I remeber Victor Mosesimpressing at the same tournament. At that level u17 I can remeber three players really standing out over the years Hazard,Bojan and Kroos. Gael Kakuta looked great also at one tournament

CSF wrote: »
    We've all seen what Van Persie did when captain at Arsenal, and the interview he gave after the Olympiakos 1st leg I think it was, not captain material.

Can point out things about a lot of captains that could make them, not captain material you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I miss Paul Scholes

Stop makin me thank your posts Kew :pac:

• Advertisement

I miss Paul Scholes
    Me too :(

scholesgoal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

kryogen wrote: »
    Can point out things about a lot of captains that could make them, not captain material you know.

Yep agree our greatest leader on the pitch imo keano.... fantastic captain but terrible temper at times when he lost the cool he was insane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Am I the only one who couldn't give a flying f*ck who the captain is?
    I don't really care who goes up to hand over a pendant and watch a coin being tossed on the ground.
    Big personalities will get their instructions across and let their feelings be known regardless of whether they have an armband or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Seriously does it even matter who's Captain? I've no opinion on who should get it cause I dont care. I don't think it matters.

I don't really care who goes up to hand over a pendant and watch a coin being tossed on the ground.
    Big personalities will get their instructions across and let their feelings be known regardless of whether they have an armband or not.

Spot on. You got in a minute before me with the same thoughts.

You are probably not alone, but I couldn't give a toss either who goes to hand over the pendant, tosses a coin, picks up a trophy first. I do care about having someone who will set the tone, by either their actions or their words. Someone to drag the team through the tough times, to make sure each player is giving their all or they know they are going to get it in the neck from someone.

Yep agree our greatest leader on the pitch imo keano.... fantastic captain but terrible temper at times when he lost the cool he was insane :D
    He was SAF on the pitch itself, it really was the case that teams had to beat 10 very decent United players, Keane and then SAF.. Our success bred out of that triangle year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

wadacrack wrote: »
    I remeber seeing Kroos at the u17 european tournament(always on Eurosport) in 2007. Really stood out for Germany. Was a much more offensive player .Playing as an out and out ten. I remeber Victor Mosesimpressing at the same tournament. At that level u17 I can remeber three players really standing out over the years Hazard,Bojan and Kroos. Gael Kakuta looked great also at one tournament

Is that Mosesimpressing the young Iraqi lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kryogen wrote: »
    I do care about having someone who will set the tone, by either their actions or their words. Someone to drag the team through the tough times, to make sure each player is giving their all or they know they are going to get it in the neck from someone.

I just don't see much of it anymore. The "captain fantastic" days seem to be diminishing as the years go by.
    Not having an armband doesn't and shouldn't stop someone from having a go at a teammate not pulling their weight.
    I can't see someone like Rooney/Vidic/Ferdinand keeping their mouth shut because they don't have the conch.

I think a captain is important decision.

You want a leader, a player people can look to, a guy willing to put his sleeves up when going gets tough, a man to set the tone of the club, to show the spirit of that club.

Players like Keane, Bruce, Cantona, Neville, Vidic were all the above.

• Advertisement

I think a captain is important decision.

You want a leader, a player people can look to, a guy willing to put his sleeves up when going gets tough, a man to set the tone of the club, to show the spirit of that club.

Players like Keane, Bruce, Cantona, Neville, Vidic were all the above.

Agreed, Rooney seem's the obvious but his antics the last few summers you would see none of the above do anything like that it's not exactly showing the spirit/respect of the club, Last few seasons he's turned into an awful whinger too he's forever crying to the refs, Pity DDG isn't a wee bit older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's going to be RVP. I'd prefer Rooney or Mata but I've no idea how they're going to fit into Van Gaal's 4-3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we sign Vidal I will personally present him with the captains armband

h09A1B5B2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

There is no obvious captain theret at the moment, no natural leader. Hopefully van gall will get a different response from the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Brendan is late to the party
    Guardian sport ‏@guardian_sport
    Steven Gerrard won't let World Cup focus slip, says Brendan Rodgers http://gu.com/p/3pakd/tw via @guardian

secman wrote: »
    There is no obvious captain theret at the moment, no natural leader. Hopefully van gall will get a different response from the squad.

A perfect example would be Keane from your point above. But, the armband was the making of Keane.

I will put my neck on line and say that if Rooney gets armband you will see a maturity and leadership from him like never before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I will put my neck on line and say that if Rooney gets armband you will see a maturity and leadership from him like never before.

Yep agree with this..... Once he gets the extra 5k per week Captain's allowance :)

A perfect example would be Keane from your point above. But, the armband was the making of Keane.

I don't see it at all with Rooney, or more to the point, I don't see the similarity between Rooney and Keane. Dunno if the armband was the making of him, he had all the traits and behaviours before he got it as after.

He was a natural born leader of men, Vidic I think is similar, born to command, to lead and to have the respect of those around them.

I don't think Rooney will make a very good captain, for various reasons, and I hope that he won't get the gig. I have seen Rooney the captain a few times, nothing I have seen has altered my opinion one bit. A moment keeps popping into my head as I type this, the game where Welbeck I think played a ball to him in the box, Rooney made a balls of it and immediately blamed Welbeck and had a go at him.

He will be 29 this year, Keane was made captain in 1997, a good bit younger then Rooney and matured over time, if Rooney was going develop into the kind of leader Keane was he would have done it by now imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Keane always had something about him. He was a player all over the park. He did everything. He was a natural leader. He was a perfectionist who always accepted responsibility and expected 100% from others. There is no replacing that intensity, drive, inspiration that Keane provided.

He made the armband as much as it made him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What would people make of De Gea getting it? he obviously won't but y'know, hypothetically and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

What would people make of De Gea getting it? he obviously won't but y'know, hypothetically and all that

Never was as big a fan of Keepers as Captains. Obviously there are some keepers who are leaders among men. Schmeichel being the obvious case. But in the big games when you need someone to rally the troops, always thought it was better to have an outfield player for that. Not having to bark orders the entire length of the pitch etc.

anybody seen this or know who he is as i never heard of him myself? writes for the Times apparently.

Terry di Márdi ‏@MardiAgent 50m
    Jonathan Northcroft on MUTV: "Luke Shaw wants the Manchester United move and it's close to being completed." #MUFC

there is some talk also that Van Gaal wants Evra to stay on as he is afraid of losing too much experience in the dressing room at the one time. but without CL football, its unlikely we will have enough game time for him, Shaw and Buttner so id say Buttner would go on loan for at least 6 months anyway.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Never was as big a fan of Keepers as Captains. Obviously there are some keepers who are leaders among men. Schmeichel being the obvious case. But in the big games when you need someone to rally the troops, always thought it was better to have an outfield player for that. Not having to bark orders the entire length of the pitch etc.

Keepers can be great captains, though I very much think it is the men themselves rather then the position that made it so, Schmeichel as you say, Kahn being another example. Huge personalities who would have an impact despite being goalies

I like my captain to be a centre half or a centre mid ideally

there is some talk also that Van Gaal wants Evra to stay on as he is afraid of losing too much experience in the dressing room at the one time. but without CL football, its unlikely we will have enough game time for him, Shaw and Buttner so id say Buttner would go on loan for at least 6 months anyway.

I wouldn't be against Evra staying, but on a reduced salary and role, he is clearly a big personality in the dressing room and has a lot to offer, if he has the right attitude to it. If it appears he will give a bit of trouble I would get rid straight away, losing the experience of Vidic and Ferdinand is a big blow, Carrick too possibly and surely Giggs from a player view point

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Evra could play as a winger, as least he wouldn't have to worry about defending, not that he seemed to worry anyway....

• Advertisement

Be great if Evra stayed i reckon too, Been p**s poor this few seasons but he'd be good back up if he got his act together, Still one of my favourite players so maybe i'm being soft on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Be great if Evra stayed i reckon too, Been p**s poor this few seasons but he'd be good back up if he got his act together, Still one of my favourite players so maybe i'm being soft on him.

A pretty big if going on this season.

Its mad how people over a short space of time forget how bad Evra is. Its like you need to see him play to really appreciate how bad he got. So NO to Evra staying. Get him out the door please. Another brilliant player who's legacy is tarnished by him being kept on too long. Release him quick before people start to believe he is the best left back in the world.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Evra could play as a winger, as least he wouldn't have to worry about defending, not that he seemed to worry anyway....

I assume you are joking here but why in hell would we want a tired 33 year old left back playing on the wing?

I think the fact we all loved Evra at one stage clouds peoples opinions. I love the guy as a player but we need to get him off the pitch in all forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Nah never. Not commanding enough. Doesn't portray that self confidence a captain needs.

Don't like Rooney as captain either.

Looking around the squad we re not exactly blessed with natural leaders. Even Van Persie doesn't strike me as a leader.

Who' s left? Carrick? May not be first choice. Fletcher? Same story.

Mata? Depends how pivotal hes seen as by Van Gaal. Not sure he's tough enough.

Jones or Smalling are not certain starters. Smalling does not strike me as a leader. Jones maybe but could be a bit green.

Raf? The role might add a bit of maturity to his game. Broke up a lot so maybe not. Very raw too.

Leaves Evans? Might be a role for a newbie, another hook to help land a Hummels or Mueller type?

Or maybe we ll offer it to Robaldo if he agrees to cone back!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement