Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Out of the current squad,only Evans jumps out as captain material.He's vocal on the pitch and not afraid to speak his mind.Remember him roaring at Carrick for playing a pass back to the 'keeper after getting the ball in acres of space?

I have a feeling that LVG will assess who's most suitable and make his own mind up,sentimentality won't play a part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »
    Its mad how people over a short space of time forget how bad Evra is. Its like you need to see him play to really appreciate how bad he got. So NO to Evra staying. Get him out the door please. Another brilliant player who's legacy is tarnished by him being kept on too long. Release him quick before people start to believe he is the best left back in the world.

Evra is knackered because he has pretty much played every single game for about 5 years now, he should have had some decent back up brought in to take a bit of the work load, I think the mind is willing, the body just isnt able to go with it anymore.

So, as back up, being around the squad and used a lot less I would be ok with him staying around, he can be cover on the left wing also, is still great at going forward and linking play, he just doesnt have the legs to get up and down the line for 90 minutes anymore.

I wouldnt be too upset about him going either by the way, but I think there is certainly still a place for him in the squad in the right circumstance, who better to be a mentor to Shaw for example and to guide him into becoming the best full back in Europe, which Evra was pretty close to for a long time, never put him above Lahm personally, but that was about it at the time I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zerks wrote: »
    Out of the current squad,only Evans jumps out as captain material.He's vocal on the pitch and not afraid to speak his mind.Remember him roaring at Carrick for playing a pass back to the 'keeper after getting the ball in acres of space?

I have a feeling that LVG will assess who's most suitable and make his own mind up,sentimentality won't play a part in it.

Whatever we think about the importance of the captain, Louis Van Gaal is firmly in the category of the captain is a very important role and he will choose carefully alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Evra isn't half as bad as people make out. He's had a mixed two years but his decline has been over exaggerated and he's played a hell of a lot of the past couple of years.

Sorry for going OT but I turned on SSN, Hayley is on with some background noise and pictures:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'd argue having a Patrice Evra not playing regular football would be worse. He is already off the pace in most games. Hardly gonna be beneficial to his match sharpness playing 1 in every 5 games.

As for playing him on the wing???????? Don't know where this suggestion has come from lately but if you are all trying to trick me then you have succeeded.

Also the idea that Evra can help Shaw be a great left back - Surely the coaches do that not the players? Shaw does not need Evra.

While i appreciate and respect everyones views on Evra I just have to disagree big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

glued wrote: »
    Evra isn't half as bad as people make out. He's had a mixed two years but his decline has been over exaggerated and he's played a hell of a lot of the past couple of years.

i find it very strange that people slag off Evra for last year when pretty much our entire squad was absolutely awful for the season.

12/13 Evra had an excellent year.

glued wrote: »

Evra should have been replaced 3 years ago. Don't confuse World Class Evra with Present day Evra. One was one of the worlds best left backs who played every week. The other is a tired 33 year old who's legs are going and makes bizarre decisions which cost the team goals.

No one disputes his brilliance at one stage but much like Gary Neville there is a point where enough is enough.

i find it very strange that people slag off Evra for last year when pretty much our entire squad was absolutely awful for the season.

Look back at his performances,running forward and jogging back to the halfway line.
    Heat maps give a lot away,constantly whoever played CB on the left ended up covering for him and leaving massive gaps while he sauntered back,defending became an inconvenience.
    Yes he's been a great servant at the club but his time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Whether you want Evra gone or not, it may pay to think of the fact that already, out of 4 regular defenders, 2 are gone... That's s lot of experience in one go if Evra went... May pay to keep him for another year imo

• Advertisement

Looks like Lisbon's coach is taking over at Monaco,I wonder if he'll try to take Carvalho with him?

Whether you want Evra gone or not, it may pay to think of the fact that already, out of 4 regular defenders, 2 are gone... That's s lot of experience in one go if Evra went... May pay to keep him for another year imo

What good was Evra's experience in the CL quarter final after he scored a cracker? Experience can't make up for decline in physical sharpness.

Rafael is only young but he has a mountain of experience. There is tons of experience with players who can still run for 90 minutes that we can call on in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Plenty of players did not shine, but not even Fergie could have done much with Evra performances.

They were catastrophic. He made mistake after mistake.

The Bayern away game summed up Evra season.

Rafael is only young but he has a mountain of experience. There is tons of experience with players who can still run for 90 minutes that we can call on in the squad.

Not sure I agree at this point. Is this the Rafael that sometimes gets edgy or too pumped in big may matches, and can appear to be a " sending off waiting to happen "?
    Or Jones who might lunge, injure himself or another... Or Evans who might lose concentration at a vital moment? Or Smalling who hasnt yet nailed a settled place..

Yes CM has always been our problem, hope defense not now added to it..

Here's the heat map from the Saints game,look who was barely in position,story of the season with Evra.You can go to any game and see where he was,it certainly wasn't where he was meant to be.

http://epl.squawka.com/southampton-vs-manchester-united/11-05-2014/english-barclays-premier-league/matches

Not sure I agree at this point. Is this the Rafael that sometimes gets edgy or too pumped in big may matches, and can appear to be a " sending off waiting to happen "?
    Or Jones who might lunge, injure himself or another... Or Evans who might lose concentration at a vital moment? Or Smalling who hasnt yet nailed a settled place..

Yes CM has always been our problem, hope defense not now added to it..

What we need is good coaching and fit and healthy players.

I just think this experience factor is far outweighed by actual hard work and good physical attributes. Both of which Evra lacks at this present time.

What we need is good coaching and fit and healthy players.
    I agree, but it's a bit of a generalization in fairness....
    Still cannot beat experience IMO
    World love us to sign a classy cb, but who is out there..

The Times & The People saying that it will take £30 million to get Shaw.

I agree, but it's a bit of a generalization in fairness....
    Still cannot beat experience IMO
    World love us to sign a classy cb, but who is out there..

How about signing Rio Ferdinand... Loads of experience! :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have said that the manager and the players needed to shoulder he blame this season. And no player exemplifies the problems within the squad more than Evra. Half-arsed, half-hearted preformances, a complete liability time and time again and never looking all that bothered as the ship was sinking.

In the same way Moyes had to face the consequences for his performances, so too does Evra. A lot of players were poor this season but at least looked frustrated and passionate about what was happening. Evra never seemed all that bothered.

A club legend, who had great seasons long ago...but so did other players and it's time for him to move on now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Evra had his best season in years last season, most likely because Buttner was brought in and he finally had a bit of competition for his place.

I reckon he'd be good backup.

As much as i want Evra gone I just want to clarify I don't think he is purposely playing bad or purposely lacking effort I just think his time at United is over, due to his age and physical decline.

Not picking any post in particular but I want Evra gone so that we dont have people slaughtering him next season and questioning his loyalty and commitment and whatever. I never question that. Cantona did it better than anyone ever has. Leave before you're pushed. Even if he went too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Evra had his best season in years last season, most likely because Buttner was brought in and he finally had a bit of competition for his place.

I reckon he'd be good backup.

Best season in years?
    Man, along with many more, he was shocking last season....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

A pretty big if going on this season.

I thanked your sig more than your post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Best season in years?
    Man, along with many more, he was shocking last season....
    By last season I mean 2012/13, he had a good season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

How about signing Rio Ferdinand... Loads of experience! :):):)

He said classy, Rio has been shown this season to be completely classless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

its very clear Evans is a better CB than the other 2. more experienced, more proven, better footballer.

its like you saying that we cant pick the keeper when we all know it will be De Gea and likewise we all know Mata, Rooney, RVP, will be playing in his first 11.

It's not very clear to me at all. Evans is good but overrated, Jones and Smalling have a higher ceiling than him IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Signed a young goal keeper apparently. Weird as we have a few decent underage keepers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

lordgoat wrote: »
    Signed a young goal keeper apparently. Weird as we have a few decent underage keepers!

From ManUtd.com
    Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with FK Vojvodina for the transfer of Serbian Under-17 international goalkeeper Vanja Milinkovic.

Both clubs have agreed that the player will remain with FK Vojvodina next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

We signed a player!!!

big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Can he play in midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Evra was shocking last season and if you went through all the goals we conceded last season, I would wager that a decent percentage of them came from our left hand side.

I don't know if its the body that's just not willing anymore or its the appetite to get himself into the correct positions, but I think his time is done especially as a starter.

Fantastic servant all the same and United through and through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Evra was shocking last season and if you went through all the goals we conceded last season, I would wager that a decent percentage of them came from our left hand side.

I don't know if its the body that's just not willing anymore or its the appetite to get himself into the correct positions, but I think his time is done especially as a starter.

Fantastic servant all the same and United through and through.

The constant changes and lack of an actual left midfield player is also a factor in Uniteds problems down that side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

A forgotten interview from years ago about Roy Keane that is a genuine great read. Talks about Becks, Giggs, & Cantona.

http://www.manchester.com/sport/united/roy-keane-interview.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

zerks wrote: »
    Here's the heat map from the Saints game,look who was barely in position,story of the season with Evra.You can go to any game and see where he was,it certainly wasn't where he was meant to be.

http://epl.squawka.com/southampton-vs-manchester-united/11-05-2014/english-barclays-premier-league/matches

Just looked at this. He has a very similar heat map to Luke Shaw in this game and when you compare their stats Evra has at the very least equal, and arguably more impressive stats.

Obviously only 1 game and doesn't really show anything but don't see why you would use it as some sort of proof of Evras bad season. Evra obviously isn't as good as he once was and didn't have a great season, but as has already been said, no players had a good season. I think its wrong to criticize his effort and passion too as he is easily one of the most passionate members of the squad in terms of his love for Man Utd and you can see this every time he's interviewed. Never has a bad word to say about the club and constantly talks about his appreciation and gratefulness of being able to play for United. I've also seen him attending youth games at United.

As others have said I'd be happy to see him stay on in a reduced role and the fact its already been said that Rio's contract will not be renewed makes me think Evra will be staying or we would already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I watched a David De Gea highlight video yesterday, great saves of course, but the sheer AMOUNT of chances that Dave had to save because of BASIC passes played in behind Evra was a joke. I actually laughed. You can say everybody had a bad season, but Evra might have been the most consistently poor. Going forward he was decent, sure, but you are in the back four to ****ing defend and the sheer apathy with which he did his defending means he should be shown no sentimentality. He can't do the job any more, time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I watched a David De Gea highlight video yesterday, great saves of course, but the sheer AMOUNT of chances that Dave had to save because of BASIC passes played in behind Evra was a joke. I actually laughed. You can say everybody had a bad season, but Evra might have been the most consistently poor. Going forward he was decent, sure, but you are in the back four to ****ing defend and the sheer apathy with which he did his defending means he should be shown no sentimentality. He can't do the job any more, time to move on.

Any chance of a link to this video, wouldn't mind having a look at the saves :cool:

astradave wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to this video, wouldn't mind having a look at the saves :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Some save from the header at 1:12.. Wish the players would congratulate him bit more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I counted 9 shots or crosses he had to claim coming from Evra's side in that video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

May have been posted before apologies.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I counted 9 shots or crosses he had to claim coming from Evra's side in that video

1:21 and 1:53 being two of the most pathetic attempts at defending I've ever seen.

But no, Evra is grand, and Kroos is over-rated. #DroolerProblems

This is a genuine question...

Why do you think he has been picked for France world cup squad and will most likely be the starting left back? Must seem like a crazy decision for you if he's as bad as you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

IrishIrish wrote: »
    This is a genuine question...

Why do you think he has been picked for France world cup squad and will most likely be the starting left back? Must seem like a crazy decision for you if he's as bad as you seem to think.

He was picked because Clichey was left out because he's a ****e stirrer in the camp (as was evra but Blanc loves him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Robbie fowler thinks van gaal is too old, and that we should have went for a young British manager.

Lol

ElChe32 wrote: »
    He was picked because Clichey was left out because he's a ****e stirrer in the camp (as was evra but Blanc loves him)

Well this is just completely wrong so not going to bother getting in to it but Clichy going or not makes no difference to Evra's place in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Well this is just completely wrong so not going to bother getting in to it but Clichy going or not makes no difference to Evra's place in the squad.

*Dechamps not Blanc -_- sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

We'll see if it was the right decision, and how is form, soon enough when we watch the World Cup.
    The truth is evra has been relatively poor for a couple of years. There has been a slow decline in his play and he is simply not good enough now.
    Time and time again he is at fault for giving chances to the opposition. Some times we get punished, sometimes we don't.
    The fact that vidic went for him after the Liverpool game speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

He's some size, this new keeper. 6 foot 7 at the age of 17!

1370553226818_483715_627706567246473_1760449937_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The Bayern away game summed up Evra season.

i think you should point the fingers at others before Evra for this game.

first goal the entire team went to sleep and Evra the LB is the only one that was actually trying to challenge the header in the center of defence - RB, CB and CB all went missing

2nd goal Vidic was beaten to the ball from a fairly innocuous cross that originally came from the right hand side again.

3rd goal deflected in off Vidic who stood off Robben and let him run. you could say Evra didnt challenge either but the ball literally travelled 70 yards straight to Robben and his run wasnt challenged by anybody.

its a but much to blame Evra when Vidic should be the first person you should be pointing fingers at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement