Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

kryogen wrote: »
    With the right player next to him, sure.

Without someone to do the grunt work the creative players don't have as much chance to flourish.

Definitely worthy of a place in the squad, hopefully he can push on next year in more settled surroundings.

Ok ok .... So its not Fellaini thats the problem.... Its the player beside him in CM that is !! Right......

Im out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What would we think of Rakitic from Sevilla?

He may be on the move this summer, good age, probably got for under 20million, can play in a few midfield positions but also the all important central midfield role!

Kroos is a pipe dream really, but could Rakitic be reasonable? I think we have been linked to him before, someone to consider imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Fellaini should be kept, end of story. He's 26, has plenty of years left in him and he gives us something different to our other players. Yes he looks a bit ungainly and isn't as technically gifted as the likes of Mata and Kagawa, however he actually made quite a lot of tackles and interceptions, and had a part to play in both of Wilson's goals last night. Also last night was a difficult game as we didn't seem to have a defined shape, the players were switching positions all the time so it's unfair too judge Fellaini to harshly.

He has under-performed this season, that can't be denied, but I think he's definitely lacking in confidence. It can't have been easy for him signing for that overpriced fee, he was then one of Moyes' boys in a team that didn't seem to respect Moyes, he also suffered some injury setbacks. I felt for him last night when he missed the chance that Wilson eventually scored from. He dropped the head and you could just see he was thinking "oh why didn't that go in, it would have made my life here a little bit easier".

But under a new manager and after a pre-season with the club I think he'll perform much better next year. Cutting our losses on him now would be naive.

Ok ok .... So its not Fellaini thats the problem.... Its the player beside him in CM that is !! Right......

Im out.

You're better off out if you lack basic comprehension alright.

Cheerio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Blatter wrote: »
    The Cleverley abuse is very frustrating as well. He has shown before that he's a good player.

it really is amazing how certain players like Cleverly and nani (and now you can include Fellaini in that) gets dogs abuse off our fans inside Old Trafford, yet then other, less skillful players like Valencia, Welbeck, Jones and a few more seem to get a free pass.

i put it down to a very simple concept...it you work your bollix off, throw in tackles you are loved at the club and its a mentality that Ferguson instilled. its pehaps also why the likes of Veron and berba didnt work, they just didnt have the work rate of the players around them.

The thing is, its obvious out of all those players (Clev, Nani, Valencia, Welbeck, Jones and Young) that Clev is underpreforming the most.

Val and Young will occasionslly get through a cross and get as assist or goal. Val always does his thing defensively well and the crowd are right to appreciate that. Jones also does exactly what he is supposed a lot of the time but can look out of sorts at others. His workrate is good too.

I don't get the Welbeck hate either, he is doing well enough for us to be happy with imo.

Clev, although works hard, time after time has failed to deliver anything creative. He has had many matches where he has offered nothing to the team besides the expected workrate. In terms of creativity he gives UTD nothing. We have seen match after match and pass graph after graph of sideways or backwards passing.

Clev will end up with a high success rate with this passive and safe passing. He was supposed to be the creative one in the partnership with Carrick but he doesn't pass forward, make forward runs. He slows down the attacking transition. His work rate is good and he always offers an option to a defensive player of MF player but that is usually to return the ball back to them or play a safe pass to the side.

He looks like completely devoid of ideas, confidence and creativity and is the worst of our poor players. There was even a game this season when he was off at half time iirc, he hardly showed for the ball and barely broke into double figures with his passing.

He also has this misfortune of being very poor in a critical area for us which doesn't help anyone one bit.

Funnily enough he still has enough media exposure and national team caps behind him to fetch a good price. I think that would be the best solution for both himself and UTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was full sure LVG would be announced by today. The fact he hasn't and won't be has me worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Don't rule out Fellaini yet, he was a monster for Everton at times, he has looked clueless playing for United, as have others while playing under Moyes. Let's see what a new manager like LvG can get out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its very telling that if you look back over the last 2 or 3 days worth of posting, only about 1/3 of our squad are not on the "get rid" of list when you combine the opinions of the main posters here.

also, anybody else find it strange that Woodward and Giggs didnt speak between saturday and last night? i mean, surely the CE and manager should be in regular contact, even over the phone every day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good news. Hopefully Ancelotti has been sounded out and expressed an interest but has to wait until the season closes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

was full sure LVG would be announced by today. The fact he hasn't and won't be has me worried.

It's strange. Woodword surely wouldn't want an air of uncertainty surrounding the club for another week if at all possible.

I think it's either some kind of hitch in negotiations or United are delaying things for as long as possible to see if other things devlop (Guardiola leaving Bayern, for eg. who said he will discuss his future with Bayern after the German cup final in 10 days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

also, anybody else find it strange that Woodward and Giggs didnt speak between saturday and last night? i mean, surely the CE and manager should be in regular contact, even over the phone every day?

I'd say they possibly did. It was easy for Giggs to say there was no contact to avoid having to give answers on questions regarding the managerial position. It's not his place or in the club's best interests to comment on it until it's officially done.

I don't think its that strange tbh

Giggs is the interim manager till the end of the season, the new manager will be announced after that. Nobody at the club suggested it would be done quickly, it has just been pushed in the media that an announcement is close, over and over again.

Just relax :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Maybe the club are awaiting the Ancelotti situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

how do you know they haven't been in contact?Can't believe everything that is said in an interview.
    Also why would the CEO and manager need to be in contact everyday?Would they have business with each other every day ?At certain times of year I'm sure they are in constant contact but at other times I doubt they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

its very telling that if you look back over the last 2 or 3 days worth of posting, only about 1/3 of our squad are not on the "get rid" of list when you combine the opinions of the main posters here.

Was in one of the papers that this was one of Moyes' complaints too - Woodward just wasn't available to be spoken to enough.

I think Woodward has his office at Old Trafford, while obviously the managers office is at Carrington (sorry, Aon Training Complex). When Gill was in charge his office was at the training centre, near SAFs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

also, anybody else find it strange that Woodward and Giggs didnt speak between saturday and last night?

Yes, it is very strange, especially considering that everything managers tell the media is always 100% accurate.

Getting rid of 2/3's of the talk is a crazy opinion. We have a decent squad but poor first team options.

Players that should not be playing for us next season are:
    Rio
    Evra
    Giggs

These players need a first team replacement brought in over the summer.

Then we have players underpreforming who could be sold if a) they cant turn it around or b) a superior player becomes available in the summer

Young
    Val
    Clev

Lets say we got Reus, we can sell. Val for me is worth keeping, even when he is creatively poor his defesive work is valuable to have. Young for his crazy wage would be a good sell. Hopefully Januzaj will become a regular next season and give us lots more threat out wide, he needs to bulk up and get defensively better. Some people are willing to give Clev more time, fair enough. Imo if we get two new MFs there is no need to keep him. Carrick, Fletch and Fellaini are all superior squad options to backup hopefully our new CM pairing.

Welbeck and Nani should be kept 100%. Both can be important players for us. RVP, Rooney and Chico should also be kept unless they ask to leave.

Vidic leaving is a done deal so thats about 5 more to possibly join him. 6 out at a maximum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

kryogen wrote: »
    What would we think of Rakitic from Sevilla?

He may be on the move this summer, good age, probably got for under 20million, can play in a few midfield positions but also the all important central midfield role!

Kroos is a pipe dream really, but could Rakitic be reasonable? I think we have been linked to him before, someone to consider imo

Ideal. As close to Modric as we could get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Aidric wrote: »
    Good news. Hopefully Ancelotti has been sounded out and expressed an interest but has to wait until the season closes.

Ancellotti would be a disaster, a manager with a track record of perseverance with older players is definitely not what's needed atm or the club will never move on.

• Headshot wrote: »
    Maybe the club are awaiting the Ancelotti situation

Blue in the face saying this, a lot of undue panic about Van Gal from what I'm reading today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Adnan's agent, Dirk De Vries;
    "Minutes before Adnan signed a new deal at Manchester United, PSG offered us an astonishing deal. As Adnan was a free agent at the end of the season, the Qatari were ready to offer anything," agent Dirk De Vries told Belgian publication Sport/Voetbalmagazine. "It could have been interesting from a commercial point of view. But money has never been a deciding factor in his choice.

"I can say Adnan's the best paid youngster in the world. He earns more than [Cristiano] Ronaldo and [Lionel] Messi when they were 18. It could have been interesting from a commercial point of view. But money has never been a deciding factor in his choice."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

van Gaal is the united manager, just needs to be announced by the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just hope we don't spend the summer chasing players like last season that are never going to join. Signings like Rakitic and Carvalho are more likely and would make a huge difference to the team for next season. The club needs to rebuild next season and get back into the champions league before we can attract real world class players.

Fabregas if he comes back to England then Arsenal is far more likely.
    Kroos why would he leave Bayern to join United.
    Muller the same.
    Reus i have some outside hope for but still unlikely.

• Liam O wrote: »
    Ancellotti would be a disaster, a manager with a track record of perseverance with older players is definitely not what's needed atm or the club will never move on.

Forced perseverance when Italian football started to move into decline towards 2008 - 2009 for AC Milan. This is a flawed argument for a justification for Ancellotti not to get the job.

His record is outstanding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What would Giggs and Woodward really have to talk about, especially if it's already been made clear to Giggs he is not a long term option? Presumably Woodward has the transfer targets based on Moyes' list and LvG's list (if he's in). Any consultation on Giggs part would have been a few weeks ago.

After that, Giggs has nothing to do with Woodward's job, and Woodward has nothing to do with the tactical, on the field decisions. There's not really much reason they'd have to talk.

It would also be crazy to sell of Fel this summer; at the very least, he's our best squad option right now, and we already need 2 midfielders without getting rid of another one. Two new CMs wont play every game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Woodward could just be avoiding giggs because he keeps asking for the job.

Seriously though it was just a way of deflecting the question id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bangkok wrote: »
    van Gaal is the united manager, just needs to be announced by the club

Incredible statement without a source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Home and away for next season

BnBbczSCQAA25fZ.jpg

xtal191 wrote: »
    Hoe and away for next season

BnBbczSCQAA25fZ.jpg

I hope its a fake. Both are horrible.

• Advertisement

Mark Ogden says nothing to worry about with LVG. Waiting until season is over.

I think RVP has been told whats up anyway, he seems confident:
    https://vine.co/v/M6Xm3KrD5mq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If true, they are the worst jerseys I've ever seen the in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No manager announcement this week...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27309106

Louis_van_Gaal_en_Willem_van_H_c9db43e506af3030655bd0d1acb58c60.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

BnBbczSCQAA25fZ.jpg

Save us Adi das Kenobi, you are our only hope.

BnBbczSCQAA25fZ.jpg

They look like fake jerseys you'd see at the back of a shop in Bangkok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They look like fake jerseys you'd see at the back of a shop in Bangkok.

Horrid ,

I prefer the early fakes posted earlier in the season

Gatling wrote: »
    Horrid ,

I prefer the early fakes posted earlier in the season

There was one excellent one, possibly posted by yourself, that was a deep red with plain black trim.

yabadabado wrote: »
    how do you know they haven't been in contact?

because Ryan Giggs, our current manager said he has not spoken to Woodward since saturday evening and indeed said he pnly had a few words with him then.

i see no reason for him to lie, he could just have given the usual response " i was asked to do the job for 4 games and we have not discussed anything different bla bla bla".

it really is amazing how selective people are on here to what they think is lies. if giggs said he didnt speak to him at all then he didnt and i think this is very strange, especially considering there was a game on yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

because Ryan Giggs, our current manager said he has not spoken to Woodward since saturday evening and indeed said he pnly had a few words with him then.

i see no reason for him to lie, he could just have given the usual response " i was asked to do the job for 4 games and we have not discussed anything different bla bla bla".

it really is amazing how selective people are on here to what they think is lies. if giggs said he didnt speak to him at all then he didnt and i think this is very strange, especially considering there was a game on yesterday.

What is it you think they should be discussing exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How could anybody seriously talk about selling Fellaini. He has been horrible so far but he shown for Everton and Belgium he is a much better player than he has been so far. I would not mind if we had decent options.

Fletcher, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs and Jones. ffs he is better than all of those players. We need to buy midfielders not sell them some people are so short sighted give him a chance to settle in. He looks lacking in confidence playing in a side that has been lacking confidence all season.

What exactly should he have spoken to Woodward about.
    You seem to just want to bash Woodward.
    In the words of Robbie Williams he is single handedly raiseing the economy aint no chance of the football compny dropping me.
    He has no dealing with football management he strikes the deals.

if you have to ask that question, then you are likely to accept any answer that you are given. a CE and manager (and all top employees) should be in regular contact, especially in a time like it is at the moment.

so you think its normal that the CE and manager dont talk to each other for 3 days especially with a game on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

jane82 wrote: »
    What exactly should he have spoken to Woodward about.
    You seem to just want to bash Woodward.
    In the words of Robbie Williams he is single handedly raiseing the economy aint no chance of the football compny dropping me.
    He has no dealing with football management he strikes the deals.

I'm sorry but quoting Robbie Williams has to lead to some sort of ban....points deduction at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

if you have to ask that question, then you are likely to accept any answer that you are given. a CE and manager (and all top employees) should be in regular contact, especially in a time like it is at the moment.

so you think its normal that the CE and manager dont talk to each other for 3 days especially with a game on ?

Honestly to me it seems as normal as normal could be.

I'd echo the question of what exactly you think they ought to be talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Think this was in the old thread. He really does seem mad :v

Homerjay wont be happy until the equaliser picks the team.
    Then he will say something like " whats equaliser doing picking the team"

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd echo the question of what exactly you think they ought to be talking about?

so not even a quick call "hey Ryan, all ok for later, you need any help or anything done before the game?" is beyond the realms of normality for you?

theres a million things they could talk about, especially as its match day. if seems strange to me that our CE would not contact our manager for 3 days, in between two home games, with a media scrum around the club and perhaps Giggs only 2 weeks in the job....if some of ye think that is normal, then ok, thats your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

so not even a quick call "hey Ryan, all ok for later, you need any help or anything done before the game?" is beyond the realms of normality for you?

theres a million things they could talk about, especially as its match day.

are you serious ?
    What exactly could Ed do to help on the day of the game?

theres a million things they could talk about, especially as its match day.
    "brrp brrp brrp brrp
    Ryan: hello, Ryan giggs
    Ed: How about we call you Ryan addidas Giggs.
    Ryan: will it get me the manager job?
    Ed: whistle click sorry I cant whistle click Im going through a tunnel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement