Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I can be forgiven for being wrong.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPzymbrOa_T_gImmqiquBoDm0VtyhxdVKTVDaZ-is1K8_7q6c5QA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I can be forgiven for being wrong.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPzymbrOa_T_gImmqiquBoDm0VtyhxdVKTVDaZ-is1K8_7q6c5QA

I'm starting to get hungry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If it is to happen this morning it will probably be between 8.30-9.30 so not long to wait to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

12pm is my pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'll just play the percentages and say he won't be announced today. What's the prize?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

kryogen wrote: »
    I'll just play the percentages and say he won't be announced today. What's the prize?

I already called it not be announced today kryogen...
    The prize is a spot in LVG's backroom team don't ye know
    As his official advisor on what boards.ie contributors want ;) :rolleyes:

I still think its way too quiet in the twitterverse/ssn/meeja etc for an announcement to be imminent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Your sanity.

If the idea behind the delay was to spare the Dutch from distraction, surely it isn't working. Because the speculation is only getting worse. This concerns me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes, I say we might have wait bit longer.

Im confident it will be done within the summer. :)

Back to meltdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Nothing is happening today. None of the main sources are reporting anything.

Ha remember the way Moyes announcement was rushed within days to provide "stability" for the club - Ed must be after forgetting that one, if it's not today its a fcuking joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm a bit late for this one so might have been discussed already but Spains 30 man WC provisional squad was announced a few days back. Only 3 goalkeepers which means all 3 will go I guess.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli/ITA), David de Gea (Manchester United/ENG)

I seem to remember even after Valdes injury that many still didn't expect Dave to make the cut. Not sure who missed out. Great for De Gea if he goes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10833664/World-Cup-2014-Spains-embarrassment-of-riches-means-likes-of-Juan-Mata-wont-make-Del-Bosques-final-cut.html

glued wrote: »
    Nothing is happening today. None of the main sources are reporting anything.
    James Ducker from the times posted an article he wrote but you have to pay to see the whole lot but just before it cuts off it says "Van Gaal, who ..." I presume that continues to who could be announced today.

Maybe it's so inevitable they don't want to be wrong even just slightly to save face - hopefully anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ha remember the way Moyes announcement was rushed within days to provide "stability" for the club - Ed must be after forgetting that one, if it's not today its a fcuking joke.

And how did that work out?

Seriously, stop creating times he will definitely be announced and then getting annoyed United missed these imaginary deadlines.

Why? Whats the special significance attached to today, this time?

Yes, I say we might have wait bit longer.

Im confident it will be done within the summer. :)

Back to meltdown

hahahahah now thats optimism Kew :P
    agh i see no massive need to rush things tbf, is still think Woodward is closing deals on players comings and goings as he knows LVG is coming.

Don't forget Citeh and Chelsea signed players last summer before Mourinho and Pellegrini were appointed. Just because a manager is not in place doesn't mean players can't be signed. Now whether those players are suitable or not is a whole other story.

Noticing a lot of the meeja are reporting RVP as captain, which i'd not be adverse too. Wonder how long it'll be before Rooney has another strop and wants out.. if he does it again chuck him out on his head

Seriously, stop creating times he will definitely be announced and then getting annoyed United missed these imaginary deadlines.

Exactly!

Well to be honest Team it's after swinging the other way now from too quick to being agonisingly slow...

My big concern is the signing of new players, the quicker we sign one or two everyone will relax - there is massive competition in the transfer market these days for us and waiting is not a luxury we actually have.

We are still active in the transfer market though, the bid for Luke Shaw shows you that, just relax, a watched pot never boils and all that. It will happen, but it will be on the clubs schedule, not yours or anyone elses

We are still active in the transfer market though, the bid for Luke Shaw shows you that, just relax, a watched pot never boils and all that. It will happen, but it will be on the clubs schedule, not yours or anyone elses
    24 days to the World Cup, realistically at the very most 10 days to sort out a few signings before players minds turn to it.

Well to be honest Team it's after swinging the other way now from too quick to being agonisingly slow...

My big concern is the signing of new players, the quicker we sign one or two everyone will relax - there is massive competition in the transfer market these days for us and waiting is not a luxury we actually have.

Rushing in with head down is what ****ed us last season. I am confident deals are being done but not rushed. They will come when they come. Getting angry about it will only do your head in.

As for the speed of Van Gaal, I have no problem if you are getting nervous, but a lot of people are bringing these frustrations on themselves, coming up with oddly specific times he will be announced with zero reason to think it.

Me? I am confident it's a done deal, but also accept there could be a thing with the Dutch FA which could mean it could be after the WC before it is announced. But all the journalists are talking as if they have been told he is already doing the job, basically. If he gets announced before the end of the cup, brilliant, but no point panicking when the main leagues only officially ended two days ago.

• Advertisement

Rushing in with head down is what ****ed us last season. I am confident deals are being done but not rushed. They will come when they come. Getting angry about it will only do your head in.

As for the speed of Van Gaal, I have no problem if you are getting nervous, but a lot of people are bringing these frustrations on themselves, coming up with oddly specific times he will be announced with zero reason to think it.

Me? I am confident it's a done deal, but also accept there could be a thing with the Dutch FA which could mean it could be after the WC before it is announced. But all the journalists are talking as if they have been told he is already doing the job, basically. If he gets announced before the end of the cup, brilliant, but no point panicking when the main leagues only officially ended two days ago.
    I think if we are still manager-less come the end of the WC I'll be a nervous wreck altogether :) haha

Instability is the one thing I don't like - especially in relation to United, the sooner LVG is announced and a few players are announce the better for everyone at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

24 days to the World Cup, realistically at the very most 10 days to sort out a few signings before players minds turn to it.

Certain players who have already got indications they are moving this summer, will brief their agents or vice versa, who can do dealings on their behla.f I'm sure certain players have provided their desires in terms of contracts or more importantly where they want to move.

I'd expect a number of moves will happen this summer, while the player is away totally focusing on the WC.

I don't see us being sucked into the world cup drama of pursueing someone who just pops up in the WC, I'd say the club will stick to its guns with the players outlined in advance, and it's just a case of getting bids accepted and wrapping them up.

Oddly enough, for no apparent reason, feeling somewhat confident of this summer.

I might have missed out since I wasn't on the thread over the weekend, but caught the Holland vs Ecquador game. LVG cuts a very commanding figure sitting on the bench, and was using a somewhat 3-5-2. The journalists I was keeping tabs with during the game were tweeting how he wants to bring this formation into the world cup. Granted there was some hiccups with it, aswell as Holland missing some key players, it looked pretty good. RVP was pretty complimentary of it after the game.

3-5-2....4-3-3....be nice to move away from 4-4-2 for a change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes no need to panic, this really was never going be announced as soon as expected.

It will be done soon enough anyway I reckon

I'm in the same boat. I get the impression its a done deal and journalists are just plucking dates for the announcement. Does make more sense for it to be post WC, but its the worst kept secret in football at the moment.

I think either way, it makes little to no odds. Van Gaal cant begin his work properly until after the world cup, so see no major issues if its not announced until then.

Once its all agreed, and he's been consulted on transfer targets and players being removed from the squad, no big deal.

We knew from the get go with LVG, the negative was he wouldn't begin his work until late in the summer which is going to be a difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

LVG is the new manager. Who cares when its announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I get the impression its a done deal and journalists are just plucking dates for the announcement. Does make more sense for it to be post WC, but its the worst kept secret in football at the moment.

I think either way, it makes little to no odds. Van Gaal cant begin his work properly until after the world cup, so see no major issues if its not announced until then.

Because once again it shows that United seemingly just can't get things done.

If Van Gaal has been offered and has accepted the job then it is to the benefit of all parties to have it announced as a done deal. United have a manager in place and can move forward, Van Gaal doesn't have to tiptoe around it and can focus on the world cup, and the Dutch FA don't have the extra attention surrounding their world cup squad. It does not benefit any of the major interested parties to have the issue drag out for a second more than is necessary.

If the problem lies with somebody else, a prospective coach or somebody, then that person better be the second coming of Alex Ferguson to justify the delay in appointment for nearly a month now.

Last summer United didn't get their act together and get things done, and the fact is that this summer has started the same way. And a bid for Shaw is nothing, we had lots of bids last summer too. Get the ****ing deals done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Me - because we have to announce it once it is actually done - we can't hide a managerial appointment from the stock exchange. The fact it hasn't been announced, means it isn't actually agreed and signed off.

Perception is important. The role of manager at one of the worlds biggest football clubs is currently nothing but rumour, innuendo, winks and nods. Following on from last summers amateur hour quite frankly it is making us look bad. Is he the manager or isn't he? Are we interested in players or are we not? What the hell is happening at Manchester United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Me - because we have to announce it once it is actually done - we can't hide a managerial appointment from the stock exchange. The fact it hasn't been announced, means it isn't actually agreed and signed off.

It's more than likely agreed at this stage, just not signed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

just a few small details holding the deal up but nearly there, tax issues, coaching staff. expect an announcement shortly with RVP announced as captain as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This deal needs to be announced sooner rather than later. It's really starting to smell of last seasons failed transfer window. LVG is eager to sign so the delay is all on united head. Maybe they are waiting to see if Ancelloti gets the chop at Real.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

bangkok wrote: »
    just a few small details holding the deal up but nearly there, tax issues, coaching staff. expect an announcement shortly with RVP announced as captain as well

Bangkok, are you Mark Ogden in disguise becuase this is exactly what he said this morning in the meeja....

not very exclusive on your part if you're not..

Early bird catches the worm kid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Time and time again you have been asked to back your stuff up but you don't so for the sake of other posters I'm gonna ask.......Source/proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Youre a gas man.

Time and time again you have been asked to back your stuff up but you don't so for the sake of other posters I'm gonna ask.......Source/proof.

Mick, Mark Ogden reported that this morning in the guardian(indo in ireland)
    Bang is a pure speculation merchant, no point even trying to interact with him/her
    Still reckons Reus is a central midfielder after all.

Sure if we all speculate at the rate Bang does were eventually going to be right about something.

• Advertisement

my source comes direct from Carrington.... and he happens to be my brother..:)

It's far from ideal, but the way I'm dealing with LVG is 'It'll happen when it happens'. All these deadlines over the last few weeks are just journalists/papers trying to sell their product by making (un)educated guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Fabio is that you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is he the tea-lady?

It's common for certain appointments to be agreed in principle all but signed on the dotted line, in the realm of public companies making key appointments .

Obviously it's a somewhat unusual situation for a football club, but considering we are subject to some rules based on floating the company public, it does mean we can employ certain tactics other companies would use in certain situations.

So in theory everything could be agreed in principle, with Van Gaal even making utterences and decisions with Woodward for example being the conduit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Good man, keep throwing shyte and some of it is bound to stick.

Is your brother on the gardening staff with responsibility for manure spreading cos thats all we hear from ye...

Kid you've no credibility here at all..

Go home you're drunk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anyone know much about van gaals history of signing players, e.g his biggest signings that have been hits and misses, type of players he usually goes for and does he normally try to get in dutch players?

Anyone know much about van gaals history of signing players, e.g his biggest signings that have been hits and misses, type of players he usually goes for and does he normally try to get in dutch players?

Without the specifics, brings in a lot of dutch players/staff everywhere he goes
    In 99 think his Barca team was half dutch (Hesp, De Boer, Cocu, reizger, Kluivert!!) Bayern (Robben and Van Bommel)
    Outside of those dutch players i wouldn't know enough to give a strong viewpoint on his transfer history.
    Think he likes the typical dutch type team, technical, ball players and a couple of bullies in his cb/cm positions with a 4-3-3 system

well in his first stint at barca he signed a lot of dutch players...kluivert, zenden I think he signed both de boer brother but def signed one.... and he also was the one to sign Rivaldo.... at Bayern I know he was the one to sign Robben.

He loves giving youth a chance so Wilson lawerence varela janko lingaard powell could all get their chance this season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

brinty wrote: »
    Without the specifics, brings in a lot of dutch players/staff everywhere he goes
    In 99 think his Barca team was half dutch (Hesp, De Boer, Cocu, reizger, Kluivert!!) Bayern (Robben and Van Bommel)
    Outside of those dutch players i wouldn't know enough to give a strong viewpoint on his transfer history.
    Think he likes the typical dutch type team, technical, ball players and a couple of bullies in his cb/cm positions with a 4-3-3 system

Something we are desperately missing since Keane left and now Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I feckin' love Dutch football so that all sounds just super to me brinty.

Fun quotes from Dutch reporter Marcel van der Kraan
    “I don’t think Wayne Rooney will be able to drink half a lager anywhere around Manchester without Van Gaal knowing, because he’d have to report what time he’d be in bed at night on his laptop.

“He’d have to let him know whether he had spaghetti or chips for dinner, and if he had chips Van Gaal will be ready to meet him the next morning.

“It sounds funny, but all the Dutch players in the international side are having to do this now in the build-up to the World Cup.

“It’s almost like they have a daily blog, they have to report how they live. For Van Gaal it’s a very good guideline to see if he’s dealing with the right professionals.

"He’s a very committed professional and he expects the same from his players.”

But Van der Kraan added that while Van Gaal may run a tight ship as manager, the coach has a history of building good relationships with his players.

“He does seem to protect his players but they do not have to fear him,” he said.

“He has that aura that the players actually do love him.”

brinty wrote: »

In fairness he may have brought them in because they were quality first and dutch second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

In fairness he may have brought them in because they were quality first and dutch second.

I doubt many clubs would have a problem with him rocking up with the top 2 or 3 Dutch players at every change of club, wherever he went.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement