Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I doubt many clubs would have a problem with him rocking up with the top 2 or 3 Dutch players at every change of club, wherever he went.

No and I certainly wouldnt have a problem if he brought a few players with him, they have a good young team now and players from there are unlikely to cost huge money, like the look of Blind, Depay and Martins Indi in particular, Clasie looks a bit Cleverley-esqe to me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Right folks,don't post too often but like to think what I say is reasoned and backed up by many years supporting Utd.
    Have decided NOT to check into Utd Boards thread till start of next season as was tired looking in here last summer and witnessing all the speculation/inactivity on transfers till the panic buy of Fellaini by Moyes....that one worked out well...not!
    Will only post if any of following happen-
    We sign Luke Shaw or Siqueiri(spelling could be wrong) for LB.
    We sign Garay or a similar Vidic type tough as nails CB....to complement Evans or Smalling nxt year.
    We sign an excellent holding MF to replace Carrick...who can be squad player.Around five decent options have been named for this position by regular posters so won't name anyone in particular.
    We sign a world class winger to complement Januzai,Valencia and a more experienced Zaha from his time at Cardiff..
    Players I would gladly see gone from club (even at low transfers out price)......to free up wages/money to buy top replacements would be...in order of preference.....Fellaini,Cleverly,Young.
    PS-Everyone entitled to their own opinions but for me Fellaini is not and never was a Man Utd type player,he's too cumbersome and has limited range of passing and vision.
    Would take either Van Gaal or Ancelotti as manager. Van Gaal probably better option for next 3 or 4 years to reinvigorate youth set up at the club.For me a top 4 finish next year would be a decent accomplishment for whoever takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It looks increasingly likely judging by reports that RVP will be the captain...I'm uncomfortable with that, I don't like how he behaved this season Moyes or no Moyes.. and there is something off about the fact he spent so long at Arsenal, (is he considered an Arsenal legend??) then came to us as a hired gun to fire Fergie to his swansong title and is now all of a sudden the captain.... I want the captain to be someone who has a loyalty to the club, has served his time at the club and is someone who will put a shift in and grab the bull by the horns when things aren't going well.

When it wasn't going well this year, RvP just thew his hands in the air or got 'injured'.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ericzeking wrote: »
    It looks increasingly likely judging by reports that RVP will be the captain...I'm uncomfortable with that, I don't like how he behaved this season Moyes or no Moyes.. and there is something off about the fact he spent so long at Arsenal, (is he considered an Arsenal legend??) then came to us as a hired gun to fire Fergie to his swansong title and is now all of a sudden the captain.... I want the captain to be someone who has a loyalty to the club, has served his time at the club and is someone who will put a shift in and grab the bull by the horns when things aren't going well.

When it wasn't going well this year, RvP just thew his hands in the air or got 'injured'.....

So out of interest, who is it that fits the bill? Cause the other "obvious" candidate ain't much better when it comes to being money hungry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You think RVP feigned injury last season? :confused:

Also do you think the likes of Sheringham was a hired gun?

Bizarre statement.

RvP just thew his hands in the air or got 'injured'.....

This REALLY bugs me, the man got injured a few times as as happened most seasons in his career, I really dont like how the press especially use this as a stick to beat him with. The last injury especially, we all saw him get injured and be stretchered off, we were told he would be back in 4-6 weeks, he recovers in that timeframe and makes his comeback, in the meantime Moyes happened to have been sacked, so It must have been that he only "got fit" as Moyes has been sacked and not because his 6 week recovery period has passed? On the Sunday Supplement this week they talked about how he made a "miraculous recovery" for the World Cup, eh no he didnt he was back fit in the 4-6 weeks that everyone was told he would be. Rant Over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

not many candidates....

de gea? not much English and too young
    Rafael? same
    jones/smalling/evans? only evans really but not a big enough personality for cpt
    carrick? f*** no
    rooney? maybe but held the club to ransom twice and threatened to go to city
    rvp probably fits the bill perfectly and if it makes him score 30 goals next season I will not mind a bit

So out of interest, who is it that fits the bill? Cause the other "obvious" candidate ain't much better when it comes to being money hungry....

I'd go with Rooney, some of the tactics used for his contract negotiations have been unsavoury but that's the modern game, they all do it...though Rooneys agent appears to be particularly low, but his atitude on the pitch can never be questioned.

For clarity, when I called RvP a 'hired gun', I am not saying he is money orientated if that's what you think I meant. I'm alluding to the fact that Fergie just went out and bought the leagues top scorer to ensure the title in his last season.

• adox wrote: »
    You have to agree with him to an extent though...not so much about the injury (I mean if a player is injured then he's injured and if he's no confident on coming back then so be it, no point in aggravating it further) but I don't believe he has done enough to prove he deserves the captaincy.

Only problem we have is who else would we chose at the moment that has the required leadership qualities?? I don't think there is anybody else other than RVP & Rooney at this point in time in consideration of the players leaving etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the only player that comes out of last season with any credit is De Gea - each and every one of the others were either talking about leaving, sulked, were injured or played well below the required level.

single out RVP all you want, but if you base it on that then only De Gea would be captain material. its obvious that if he was fit he would at least have replicated his goals tally for the year before.

the only player that comes out of last season with any credit is De Gea - each and every one of the others were either talking about leaving, sulked, were injured or played well below the required level.

single out RVP all you want, but if you base it on that then only De Gea would be captain material. its obvious that if he was fit he would at least have replicated his goals tally for the year before.

welbeck rooney januzaj also performed well throughout the season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

but that's the modern game, they all do it.

Which is fine except when it comes to Van Persie, correct?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's what gets me though with this argument.

Rooney (apparently) threw a strop and was trying to get a transfer. That's grand, that's the modern game, that shouldn't stop him getting the armband.

RVP (apparently) threw a strop, feigned injury. That's not on, that's dispicable, that should stop him getting the armband.

Being honest, if you want to believe those stories, they are both as bad as each other. If there's an argument for Rooney, then the same arguement is there for RVP.

To me, it comes down to the manager being able to trust his captain to tow the line on the field and make sure the messages are being passed on. If LvG feels closest to RVP and feels he can achieve what he wants the captain to achieve, then RVP is the best candidate.

EDIT: I also love how this is "news" now btw; I'm fairly certain everyone knew RVP would be captain the second LVG started getting touted as a name for the job, yet it's only somehow "news" this week :P

adox wrote: »

Also do you think the likes of Sheringham was a hired gun?

Bizarre statement.

I think he was injured alright, how injured I don't know...it is said that pro players are rarely absolutely 100% fit, they'll always have some knock or something, most play through it but some are quite precious, Louis Saha was said to be like that, RVP appears to be a bit like that too if you ask me... I would not be surprised if the fact it was all falling apart for Moyes was contributary to RvP being just that extra bit more precious for that extra week or two.

These are just some random thoughts, looking at it from the outside...with my cynical hat on....

bangkok wrote: »
    welbeck rooney januzaj also performed well throughout the season..

Welbeck - errm he was awful for most of the season and there was talks of him leaving a few weeks back. fined by Moyes and dropped for breaking club curfews.

Rooney - doubts about his future at the start of the season. also spend a good chunk of the season injured
    Adnan - you want to make an 18 year old who has barely played for the club, captain?

eitherway, its either Rooney or RVP captain at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You have to agree with him to an extent though...not so much about the injury (I mean if a player is injured then he's injured and if he's no confident on coming back then so be it, no point in aggravating it further) but I don't believe he has done enough to prove he deserves the captaincy.

Only problem we have is who else would we chose at the moment that has the required leadership qualities?? I don't think there is anybody else other than RVP & Rooney at this point in time in consideration of the players leaving etc...

Hes the captain of Holland. He made a huge contribution to winning the league for us the season before last.

If Van Gaal trusts him then thats good enough for me.

where are all these rvp fake injury reports coming from?! he clearly got injured in the champions league game lucky he was not out for longer

• adox wrote: »
    Hes the captain of Holland. He made a huge contribution to winning the league for us the season before last.

If Van Gaal trusts him then thats good enough for me.

OK for Holland maybe but for the Man Utd captaincy..still unsure...

If Van Gaal has faith in him then so be it.. At least if he gets on well with Van Gaal & is given the captaincy then we might get the best out of him again this coming season but can see it potentially creating a conflict with Rooney

Welbeck - errm he was awful for most of the season and there was talks of him leaving a few weeks back. fined by Moyes and dropped for breaking club curfews.

Rooney - doubts about his future at the start of the season. also spend a good chunk of the season injured
    Adnan - you want to make an 18 year old who has barely played for the club, captain?

didn't say that, you said only de gea performed well...

where are all these rvp fake injury reports coming from?! he clearly got injured in the champions league game lucky he was not out for longer

Exactly and was stretchered off, we were told 4-6 weeks and he is back after 6 weeks. really dont understand the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

what about cleverly? :P

RVP hasnt been any worse than any other player and is trusted by Van gaal.

As for the hired gun comment most of the team are exactly that so its a non issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

My view on captaincy is it should first be given to the natural leader of the team. If such a person is not available then it should be given to the best performing player.

Ideally someone like Keane would fit the bill of a natural leader. Sadly I don't think we have anyone who can do it in the current squad. That would then leave the best performing players, which would be Rooney, RVP or De Gea for me. I would be happy for any of them to get it, but Rooney is probably the safest choice.

However I would love it if we signed a natural leader this summer, either in midfield or defense. Give them the armband if they have have the balls for it. It would signify to the players that a shake up is needed, and that we've brought some great players into the squad so everyone has to up their game. So if we signed them, someone like Hummels or Kroos might be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Imagine the meltdown now if someone like Martinez was announced as the next manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't care really who is captain, once we play well and get back to winning matches on a consistent basis.
    If RVP is who Van Gaal wants I have no problem, once we are good to watch and challenging for the title/safely in the top 4.

didn't say that, you said only de gea performed well...

did i?:confused::confused::confused:

• Imagine the meltdown now if someone like Martinez was announced as the next manager.

Why would you say something like that :eek:
    Autojinx

Marca are reporting that Barecelona have put Fabregas up for sale, they think they can get 40m for him.

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/19/en/football/barcelona/1400488431.html

Great player but I really dont like him!

Personally I think DDG was grand, he is progressing well, he made very few errors but he was not outer worldly...to go with that I never thought he was quite as dodgy as was made out in the early months of his United career, a lot of the 'mistakes' attributed to him were not always his fault. He is still not as dominant as he could be imo.

I didn't single out RVP, I'm just commenting on the notion of him being captain, that's what's singled him out.
    On the comparison...I think Rooney was exemplary on the pitch this season in hard times, very captain like, he threw a strop for a time, driven by his agent I believe, in the press but on the pitch he was A1. Without him in the early part of the season we would have been bottom half.

I don't think some of RVPs carry on (press talk about training, general on pitch demeanour) was very captain like, I think they are different situations, yes.

Ideally, neither would be captain, but as is mentioned we are devoid of options in that regard.

Marca are reporting that Barecelona have put Fabregas up for sale, they think they can get 40m for him.

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/19/en/football/barcelona/1400488431.html

Great player but I really dont like him!

only problem with fabregas is arsenal have a 50% sell on clause meaning if united bid 30 barca only get 15m so id say arsenal would still be more than likely his destination if he were to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

only problem with fabregas is arsenal have a 50% sell on clause meaning if united bid 30 barca only get 15m so id say arsenal would still be more than likely his destination if he were to leave

I thought it was first option rather than a 50% sell on clause but you are the ITK around here I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Evans would be my choice for captain.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I thought it was first option rather than a 50% sell on clause but you are the ITK around here I guess.

its actually both, first option on him and a 50% sell on if they don't sell to arsenal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How was Wellbeck awful for most of the season. He played mostly on the wing. When Rvp and Rooney were out he scored something like 8 in 9 games when played up front. He scored 10 in 36 games where he played mostly out of position. Wellbeck was very good this season one of the standout players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

its actually both, first option on him and a 50% sell on if they don't sell to arsenal...

Your bro in Carrington tell you that?

The 50% is only applicable to the excess above the £35m they paid for him. So if Utd offed £40m, arsenal (who would only have to pay £30m due to their right of first refusal clause) would only receive £2.5m if they passed on him.

We should've had some of this **** in Ronaldos Madrid contract.

Fenix wrote: »
    Your bro in Carrington tell you that?

The 50% is only applicable to the excess above the £35m they paid for him. So if Utd offed £40m, arsenal (who would only have to pay £30m due to their right of first refusal clause) would only receive £2.5m if they passed on him.

We should've had some of this **** in Ronaldos Madrid contract.

no its half the transfer fee.. that's why uniteds pathetic bid was refused twice last summer as barca were only going to get 14m and wanted closer to 20m..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8703312/Arsenals-sense-of-loss-from-Cesc-Fabregas-departure-softened-by-clauses-in-his-Barcelona-contract.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United should go for either Fabregas or Kroos, then someone like Vidal to partner.

Midfield sorted.

no its half the transfer fee.. that's why uniteds pathetic bid was refused twice last summer as barca were only going to get 14m and wanted closer to 20m..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8703312/Arsenals-sense-of-loss-from-Cesc-Fabregas-departure-softened-by-clauses-in-his-Barcelona-contract.html

Well if it's in the telegraph, it must be true. Jesus, that would mean if they took the first option on him, pay £30m and receive £15m back. So they lose him for £15m to Arsenal no matter what bid they accept from any other club... Any you think Barcelona would agree to this? Wise up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Evans would be my choice for captain.

It's going to be a huge year for Evans with Rio and Vidic gone. He's stepping up. He is 26. His time is now.
    I could see him as captain in a few years. An increased role and increased seniority in the team would help his case.

He's an intelligent guy too (Van Persie is pretty dim by all accounts).

We can all speculate but we don't know how these players cope behind closed doors. We don't really know who steps up to encourage others behind closed doors, and maybe more importantly who the other players actually listen to.

I just hope van Gaal is at least open-minded about the captaincy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Paddy_R wrote: »
    He's an intelligent guy too (Van Persie is pretty dim by all accounts).

Is he ? I must have missed those accounts.

• Advertisement

Fenix wrote: »
    Well if it's in the telegraph, it must be true. Jesus, that would mean if they took the first option on him, pay £30m and receive £15m back. So they lose him for £15m to Arsenal no matter what bid they accept from any other club... Any you think Barcelona would agree to this? Wise up.

well the thinking was that they wanted him badly and they thought they would never need to sell him....

this is the same barca that paid 60m or something plus etoo to inter Milan and got rid of him after one year and the same barca that paid 40m to neymars parents!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

very annoyed that the LVG deal is still up in the air - should be done and dusted by now. The talk of it being delayed simply because of the Ecuador game at the weekend didn't wash with me then, and it is looking even more like BS now - considering today is a rest day for the Dutch squad and we've still not announced it. The deal can't be agreed, or it would have been announced. the longer it goes the more it appears like United are making a pigs ear of it just like they did everything they attempted last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

very annoyed that the LVG deal is still up in the air - should be done and dusted by now. The talk of it being delayed simply because of the Ecuador game at the weekend didn't wash with me then, and it is looking even more like BS now - considering today is a rest day for the Dutch squad and we've still not announced it. The deal can't be agreed, or it would have been announced. the longer it goes the more it appears like United are making a pigs ear of it just like they did everything they attempted last summer.

Where did that talk come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Where did that talk come from?
    Loads of press were saying it over the weekend - that is what the club were briefing.

Loads of press were saying it over the weekend - that is what the club were briefing.

As you have probably gathered by now, I'm quite cynical when it comes to the press. I'd be looking at that and thinking it's a cover story for not getting it right last week...

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Is he ? I must have missed those accounts.
    He's considered dim by footballers. Now that's saying something. Great intelligence on the pitch of course, but off it... nope.

I have no links and won't go looking for them but I'm sure you'll find them if you so wish.

• Advertisement

Paddy_R wrote: »
    He's considered dim by footballers. Now that's saying something. Great intelligence on the pitch of course, but off it... nope.

I have no links and won't go looking for them but I'm sure you'll find them if you so wish.

Comes across as intelligent and articulate in any interviews I've seen of him. Moreso than most footballers TBF.

It was also reported that the delay was due to (minor) tax details that needed ironing out.

Whatever the reason I'm sure it's pretty insignificant and he'll sign in good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No need to worry Bangkok's bro will let us know.

well the thinking was that they wanted him badly and they thought they would never need to sell him....

this is the same barca that paid 60m or something plus etoo to inter Milan and got rid of him after one year and the same barca that paid 40m to neymars parents!!!

I'm well aware they've had some head scratching transfers in the past, however I can remember reading an article last year when all the talk was fab to utd, it explained the common misconception that the 50% buy on clause was for total fee, writer was completely adamant that 50 was on the excess only! (Above £35m) which does make a lot more sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No need to worry Bangkok's bro will let us know.

Bro in the know (TM)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement