Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Paddy_R wrote: »
    It was also reported that the delay was due to (minor) tax details that needed ironing out.

Whatever the reason I'm sure it's pretty insignificant and he'll sign in good time.

I would be interested in hearing what minor tax details are preventing a massive company like Manchester United offering somebody a job?

More to the point, football managers are appointed with an insane frequency, how is it that only Manchester United appear to be struggling with these minor tax details? Perhaps we should contact Fulham, see how they were able to appoint Felix Magath so quickly?

RobertKK wrote: »
    United should go for either Fabregas or Kroos, then someone like Vidal to partner.

Midfield sorted.

Getting one of those 3 would be difficult. Getting two is probably fantasy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I would be interested in hearing what minor tax details are preventing a massive company like Manchester United offering somebody a job?

More to the point, football managers are appointed with an insane frequency, how is it that only Manchester United appear to be struggling with these minor tax details? Perhaps we should contact Fulham, see how they were able to appoint Felix Magath so quickly?

I presumed the minor tax details had to do with van Gaal rather than United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Bro in the know (TM)

Damn it FutureGuy, you beat me to it

I was going with
    bangkok's bro, the man in the know, oh well... ;)

What, he loses his child support if he signs a contract? He wants cash in hand or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

What, he loses his child support if he signs a contract? He wants cash in hand or something?

Probably not either of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

He could want a certain amount after tax and wants United to cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Me - because we have to announce it once it is actually done - we can't hide a managerial appointment from the stock exchange. The fact it hasn't been announced, means it isn't actually agreed and signed off.
    We can't hide anything from it. Transfers affect it too apparently. Annoying that it has become another outlet for all kinds of speculation.

"But the stock exchange...."
    Fun quotes from Dutch reporter Marcel van der Kraan

Those quotes were from The Press Pass show on Talksport yesterday. I wouldn't pay too much attention to them, the Dutch journalist was telling all the English journalists who present the show exactly what they wanted to hear. There was lots of laughing and "Oh, I can't wait for all this...." crap going on.

On a side-note, Tony Evans is an arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

first it was Thiago and his tax problems.
    then it was Herrera.
    now its Van Gaal.

either the media are gobs*ites or we need a new accountant at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He's considered dim by footballers. Now that's saying something. Great intelligence on the pitch of course, but off it... nope.

I have no links and won't go looking for them but I'm sure you'll find them if you so wish.

Nah, you're grand I'm not bothered, I'II just ignore your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lads, I dont get the almost bed wetting like talk from some over Van Gaal's appointment. Its not so much a matter of if but more when and what does it matter if he is appointed (offically) now or next week? He wont have an involvement bar naming transfer targets to Woodward until after the World Cup. There has been far too much talk of his appointment from very good sources since Moyes was still in the job. I understand that after last summer, some would have major doubts over Ed Woodwards ability to close off contracts - either for players or in this case, a manager, but it takes time. Wages, bonuses, contractual arrangements, possible renewals once the contract ends, transfer warchests - the to-ing and fro-ing like in any job, except on a larger scale all under the spotlight of the media.

Anyway, I can't wait to see him come in and shake the place up. His Friday press conferences will be fantastic and I cant wait to see his influence on our style of play with hopefully some much more technical players coming in, the midfield bulking up and becoming more aggressive, the introduction of young players into the side, his utter intolerance for indiviuality instead promoting a unit capable of smothering teams into submission.

Its going to be very exciting, so lets get some positivity in here. Hell, even the Boards.ie favourite argument creator - Nani, may see a place in the side as part of the 4-3-3 the manager favours.

As for the captaincy, it probably will be Van Persie as some outlets (I believe) have reported but my own personal choice would be Rooney. Yes, yes - he's a total twat with regards the Man City moments but he's one of the longest serving and experienced players out there. If Van Gaal favours a stong team ethic then he may see Rooney as epitomising that on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___
    There is growing confidence that Louis Van Gaal could be announced as #mufc manager imminently today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I think it makes it easier for LVG to deflect questions about United if he hasn't been officially unveiled, "I'm not the manager, ask United"....when really he is the manager....... my thinking would be that he gets announced pretty close to the start of the WC so that then, the world cup that is, is the main story and United talk is put on the back burner til he's done with that.

I reckon it's all just a media management exercise to minimise disruption to the Dutch WC bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Bro in the know (TM)

This needs to be a twitter account.

In fact we should try it and see if we can get some rumours on Sky Sports News as their "Sky Sources" as someone speculated over the weekend.

Dan Roan just tweeted ''LVG stand by''

Would expect this to be announced any time now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fenix wrote: »
    I'm well aware they've had some head scratching transfers in the past, however I can remember reading an article last year when all the talk was fab to utd, it explained the common misconception that the 50% buy on clause was for total fee, writer was completely adamant that 50 was on the excess only! (Above £35m) which does make a lot more sense.
    Does it?

Arsenal selling their captain & talisman at age 25 for £35m plus 50% of **** all doesn't make much sense either.

If Barcelona felt it unlikely that Fabregas would ever leave, including a clause of 50% of a full transfer fee would be considered a good deal for getting the asking price down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Blatter wrote: »

Dont see a tweet.

• Blatter wrote: »

Inglorious-Bastards.gif

He could want a certain amount after tax and wants United to cover it.

That would be a reasonable guess, similar to the type of demand many players would have. In which case, it shouldn't take weeks upon weeks to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 57s

United announcement at 2pm, finally

Dont see a tweet.

He deleted it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

WHO HAD 2PM?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

a7c9843549f5425362da4f97174eae02.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Is this the moment...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kew or hobocop had 2pm! I think it was Kew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Few different sources saying an announcement is imminent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its happening!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Confirmed! Yay!

ManUtd: CONFIRMED: Louis van Gaal will become #mufc manager after the World Cup. More: http://t.co/YBjnDdcRQI #vangaalmufc http://t.co/RNjAbbvwVx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

On United facebook page, 3 year deal booom.

Happy now Mitch?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's done, Confirmed by BBC!!

Giggs assistant manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Finally!

The new gaffer is in.

ericzeking wrote: »
    I reckon it's all just a media management exercise to minimise disruption to the Dutch WC bid.

But it does just the opposite, it leaves a cloud of uncertainty hanging over both United and the Dutch squad.

Far more sensible to make the announcement, have a press conference, and then clearly state that all focus is now on the world cup. Its actually easier to say that than to keep having to repeat that he isn't the manager.

Whatever the reason, hopefully it has now come to an end and we finally have a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Glad the uncertainty is over. Looking forward to the summer now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Giggs to be assistant manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Yka2zH2.gif

Yes!!! :D

Now some/a lot of new players :)

Louis van Gaal said: "It was always a wish for me to work in the Premier League. To work as a manager for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world, makes me very proud. I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are. This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions. Together I'm sure we will make history."

I love him already!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not signing Lou...

Oh wait.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions. Together I'm sure we will make history."

David Moyes take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Frans Hoek and Marcel Bout to join as coaches @BBC

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Louis van Gaal said: "It was always a wish for me to work in the Premier League. To work as a manager for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world, makes me very proud. I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are. This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions. Together I'm sure we will make history."

I love him already!

Love this guy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Yay :D

now sign some god damn players :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Delighted. Let the good times roll.

Who has that gif of him dancing?! Perfect time for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Finally!!! Is Kroos signed yet?

I wonder if we'll see a flurry of transfer activity now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

just done now lads

Edit: God you' are fast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement