Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A bit of Déjà vu here, with a manager not starting until some time after his appointment, I hope it doesn't have an 'impact' on summer signings! We could end up with another useless overpaid giraffe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

now-panic-because-were-back-bitches.png

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Bet365 look to have paid out, that was quick.

Now to find odds on Kroos signing!

This is a pretty good start to the week, wonder if it can get any better? ;)

Say the rumour will be in full force in tomorrows papers.
    Hopefully he strikes a transfer deal as soon as this week / next week.
    Surely the stories about the transfer lists handed to Woodward must be true now that his appointment has been confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Surprised there's no thread solely for this news. Pretty big appointment and is the type of character a Club like United need. Especially now after the last season.

Folks here must be happy.

You would think that he has the balls to drop a few of their bigger names and shape things up, which is needed. Trying to fit Mata, Rooney, RVP, Kagawa etc into the same team is a no show, for me, and LVG is well able to make those decisions.

Worrying for the rest of us, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm so happy to have a new manager with such an aura that I just went and ordered my preseason ticket to the L.A. Galaxy match in L.A on July 23rd! :D

Let the party begin!

smt.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hate the fact he's joined, because he's almost guaranteed to do well in the short-to-medium term.

but his press conferences are going to be absolutely golden, so it's nice to see him in the Premier League.

i can't wait until he catches a glimpse, or gets a question off, the Sky Sports Transfer Gimp. he may well walk out of the room.

• Sacramento wrote: »
    Let the party begin!

smt.gif
    Best gif ever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Sacramento wrote: »
    Let the party begin!

smt.gif

Yeeeeessss!

The finger point at the end gets me every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

what time was it announced ??if its 2 im the ducking mano

13:58 but I'm sure we can round that up to 2. Wat times Kroos signing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

SlickRic wrote: »
    i hate the fact he's joined, because he's almost guaranteed to do well in the short-to-medium term.

but his press conferences are going to be absolutely golden, so it's nice to see him in the Premier League.

i can't wait until he catches a glimpse, or gets a question off, the Sky Sports Transfer Gimp. he may well walk out of the room.

Mr Shreeves must be ****ting himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Ok so does this mean it's likely that LVG has been "advising" on some of the recent transfer decisions such as the bid for Shaw, Rio not getting a new contract?

If so I'd be more optimistic of him remote managing while away at the WC. I'd imagine he has given Woodward and Giggs a list of players. Woodward will handle the business side of things, Giggs and some LVG reps could meet the players and the big man himself could do a few phone calls. His reputation precedes him so I don't think not meeting the players face to face would be too much of an obstacle.

Also if he opts for some Dutch players it's a no brainer. Interestingly Spain are in Holland's group so I wonder if he might have a few words with their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

with every gif and interview i see of LVG the man crush deepens

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There is going to be no banner for Van Gaal after the disastrous chosen one.

Also if he opts for some Dutch players it's a no brainer. Interestingly Spain are in Holland's group so I wonder if he might have a few words with their players.

Same group, not the same hotel! I don't think we have been linked with Spanish players yet besides Xavi which won't happen and Fabregas which is an old rumour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

duffman13 wrote: »
    Same group, not the same hotel! I don't think we have been linked with Spanish players yet besides Xavi which won't happen and Fabregas which is an old rumour

Not the same hotel but he'll be well positioned to watch the closely and getting in touch wouldn't be too difficult. But to be honest I'm not sure the Spanish players are what we need. Would be quite happy with a Dutch and German invasion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was apprehensive of this at first, I would've preferred to go after Ancelotti or Mourinho (however unlikely getting either of them was...) but I've come around to the idea over the last few weeks.

He's managed some huge clubs and won things at those clubs. He doesn't take any bullshít and he isn't afraid of attacking football. I'm not expecting us to storm the league next season but I'm confident he'll get us back in the top 4 at the first attempt and that will be a big first step.

Edit: Ha! RedCafe has changed its name to OranjeCafe.

Not the same hotel but he'll be well positioned to watch the closely and getting in touch wouldn't be too difficult. But to be honest I'm not sure the Spanish players are what we need. Would be quite happy with a Dutch and German invasion though.

Yeah I'd be happy with that, I think he has his list finalised already though. LVG strikes me as the type that will hand Woodward a list and say get me them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Someone should write a big ghey poem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Giggs has retired as a player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

xtal191 wrote: »

Bit of a Scholes way of doing it... all on the QT.

• xtal191 wrote: »

Confirmed??

The legend....will be sorely missed on the pitch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Probably for the best for Giggs to retire. If he wants to take this coaching role seriously, he should be 100% focused on it. What a player he has been. The best of the premier league era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Poll on OranjeCafe....

Are you happy with the appointment of Louis Van Gaal as Manchester United manager?
    - Yes 191 vote(s) 95.0%
    - No 5 vote(s) 2.5%
    - Undecided 5 vote(s) 2.5%

Very small sample, but sums up the contrast to the announcement of David Moyes.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

xtal191 wrote: »

What an utterly bittersweet day.

"He has won league titles with every team he has managed, including Barcelona, AZ and most recently Bayern Munich."

My favourite fact about LVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Barcelona are in for a massive summer in the transfer market along with man utd and its been known for a while now. said it months ago barca will be looking to buy 4-5 players that will go straight into the starting 11. but with all the spending they are going to have to sell a few. Sanchez fabregas mascherano look like 3 players that they will/can sell to make money from and fringe players pedro, tello, deulofeu could all be sold on as well to make money from incoming transfers. United almost had sanchez a few years ago but he chose barca, cant see them going back for him and the there are is talk that Liverpool are in for him, cracking player but don't know where he would fit at united. def think we should try for fabregas again this summer.

also now van gaal has been announced I wonder will he bring a dutch player with him straight away? Jordy Clasie maybe just to add bodies to the midfield department...strootman if he wasn't injured?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think van Gaal will work out as an excellent manager for ye (unfortunately). He is the right man to move on from last seasons disaster, although a big job ahead. Even if next season takes a while to get going while he makes his mark, I can't see anything but improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Next season will be a very interesting season to say the least. I'm especially looking forward to Jeff Shreeves attempting to grill him during post match interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Giggs retirement confirmed on united facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Gigg's open letter to fans
    Today is a fantastic day for Manchester United. Louis van Gaal is a great appointment and let me begin by telling you how delighted I am to be working with someone of his calibre. His credentials are second to none and I’m positive the club will thrive under his leadership over the coming years.

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from professional football and embark upon a new and exciting chapter in my life, as assistant manager of Manchester United. I am immensely proud, honoured and fortunate to have represented the biggest club in the world 963 times and Wales 64 times. My dream was always to play for Manchester United, and although it saddens me to know I won’t be pulling on a United jersey again as a player, I have been lucky enough to have fulfilled that dream playing with some of the best players in the world, working under an incredible manager in Sir Alex Ferguson, and most of all, playing for the greatest fans in world football. I have always felt and appreciated your support.

I want to also give a huge thanks to the backroom staff and support teams we have and have had at Manchester United over the years. I would not have achieved the success I have without your continuing dedication and commitment to creating the best environment to enable the players to thrive. I would not have won 34 trophies in my career without you. I would also like to say a special thanks to my friends and family for all your love and support.

For me, today is a new chapter filled with many emotions - immense pride, sadness, but most of all, excitement towards the future. United fans I hope will share and echo my belief that the club, the management and owners, are doing everything they can to return this great club to where it belongs, and I hope to be there every step of the way. To the greatest fans in world football, thank you, I have loved every minute of playing for you and representing the biggest and best club in the world.

See you next season.
    Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Screen-Shot-2014-04-08-at-18.03.20.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker 8m

Interviewed Van Gaal for a doc 20 years ago. Asked him what he would do if teams work out his system? 'This will never happen', he replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Someone should write a big ghey poem.

It's short notice, like...

Now he is orange
    But soon he’ll be red.
    He’s the man that will save us
    Now that D Moyes has fled.

He’ll sort out our midfield
    He’ll fix our defence.
    He might play Kagawa
    In formations with sense.

He won’t take any shyte
    From players or staff.
    His weekly press conference
    Should be good for a laugh.

So watch out you Chelsea,
    City, Arsenal, Pool fans.
    We’re on our way back
    Now we’ve got the right man.

We’ll get back on our feet
    In no time at all
    With our new world class boss
    The man: Louis Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Congrats to Giggs on his retirement.
    He was the reason I became a United fan when I was a kid (aside from my dad training me).
    Always a hero in my eyes, an absolute professional on the pitch, and some amazing memories watching him play.
    Even this season when he played he put some of the younger players to shame.
    He'll be missed as a player, but it's a right decision, and a great time for it.
    Massive opportunity for him as assistant under LVG as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So numbers 5 7 8 & 11 all free next season... Wonder who'll take them any thoughts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

bangkok wrote: »
    Barcelona are in for a massive summer in the transfer market along with man utd and its been known for a while now. said it months ago barca will be looking to buy 4-5 players that will go straight into the starting 11. but with all the spending they are going to have to sell a few. Sanchez fabregas mascherano look like 3 players that they will/can sell to make money from and fringe players pedro, tello, deulofeu could all be sold on as well to make money from incoming transfers. United almost had sanchez a few years ago but he chose barca, cant see them going back for him and the there are is talk that Liverpool are in for him, cracking player but don't know where he would fit at united. def think we should try for fabregas again this summer

I dont think Barcelona will sell either Sanchez or Fabregas .
    Sanchez scored 19 goals and had 10 assists this season ,he had a very good season.
    Fabregas wont be leaving either as he is the heir incumbant to Xavi (although he is nowhere near as good as him ).

Mascherano may be sold ,probably Tello,Affelay too and maybe Adriano and Song .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Ah feck... I can't take it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So numbers 5 7 8 & 11 all free next season... Wonder who'll take them any thoughts??

9 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hummels 5 , Reus 7 , Kroos 8 , Fabregas 11. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I can see Tello being somewhat of a good fit for you. You guys have a pace problem, he has pace to burn. Not the best passer or with the ball at his feet, but he doesnt shy away from taking on opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Hummels 5 , Reus 7 , Kroos 8 , Fabregas 11. :pac:

unless mata is being sold kroos wont have no8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    9 as well.

And most likely 3.
    3 5 7 9 11 are a lot of first team numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    Barcelona are in for a massive summer in the transfer market along with man utd and its been known for a while now. said it months ago barca will be looking to buy 4-5 players that will go straight into the starting 11. but with all the spending they are going to have to sell a few. Sanchez fabregas mascherano look like 3 players that they will/can sell to make money from and fringe players pedro, tello, deulofeu could all be sold on as well to make money from incoming transfers. United almost had sanchez a few years ago but he chose barca, cant see them going back for him and the there are is talk that Liverpool are in for him, cracking player but don't know where he would fit at united. def think we should try for fabregas again this summer.

also now van gaal has been announced I wonder will he bring a dutch player with him straight away? Jordy Clasie maybe just to add bodies to the midfield department...strootman if he wasn't injured?

Fcuk skae kid with your sources it hought you'd know all the players we would have in
    Did LvG not give you a private audience yet??
    When will Kroos and Shaw be announced as you proclaimed pre world cup on Friday
    Speculating on us signing Barca players, i thought you'd be confirming that we were signing all of them,
    go back to bed, you're drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

miralize wrote: »
    I can see Tello being somewhat of a good fit for you. You guys have a pace problem, he has pace to burn. Not the best passer or with the ball at his feet, but he doesnt shy away from taking on opponents.

Perhaps, but I'd rather talk about that bastard son nobody seems to love, the one who left for London for a bit, then got practically kidnapped and brought home, then got shifted around loads of positions, now is being pushed out the door.

Cesc btw :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

brinty wrote: »
    Fcuk skae kid with your sources it hought you'd know all the players we would have in
    Did LvG not give you a private audience yet??
    When will Kroos and Shaw be announced as you proclaimed pre world cup on Friday
    Speculating on us signing Barca players, i thought you'd be confirming that we were signing all of them,
    go back to bed, you're drunk

He is LVG!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Wheres Mata going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wheres Mata going?

He's getting the number 10!
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any word on Evra yet? I was away last week, did I miss anything?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement