Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

so not even a quick call "hey Ryan, all ok for later, you need any help or anything done before the game?" is beyond the realms of normality for you?

theres a million things they could talk about, especially as its match day. if seems strange to me that our CE would not contact our manager for 3 days, in between two home games, with a media scrum around the club and perhaps Giggs only 2 weeks in the job....if some of ye think that is normal, then ok, thats your opinion.

FFS. Do you just sit down at the start of every day and think to yourself 'what can I criticize the club about to day?'. Then when you run out of things for the week you move on to the fans for jeering Liverpool. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

so not even a quick call "hey Ryan, all ok for later, you need any help or anything done before the game?" is beyond the realms of normality for you?

theres a million things they could talk about, especially as its match day. if seems strange to me that our CE would not contact our manager for 3 days, in between two home games, with a media scrum around the club and perhaps Giggs only 2 weeks in the job....if some of ye think that is normal, then ok, thats your opinion.

Has Ed been added to the coaching staff otherwise i don't see what help he should be offering Giggs before games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would always have been of the opinion that the europa league would be a complete waste of time and take from our chances of winning the league. But after watching Adnan, Wilson and Lawerance last night surely these lads and some more of the younger lads coming through could benefit greatly from these european games.
    Picking them for a league cup game and they may get knocked out after one game. No real gain. But they could get a few games in the europa league and gain substantial experience.
    Also with a large squad like utds they are going to need the games to keep more of the established players getting game time. Otherwise there will be too much rotation in the league games

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Sacramento wrote: »
    There we go..

smt.gif

This getting funnier each time I watch it :D

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would always have been of the opinion that the europa league would be a complete waste of time and take from our chances of winning the league. But after watching Adnan, Wilson and Lawerance last night surely these lads and some more of the younger lads coming through could benefit greatly from these european games.
    Picking them for a league cup game and they may get knocked out after one game. No real gain. But they could get a few games in the europa league and gain substantial experience.
    Also with a large squad like utds they are going to need the games to keep more of the established players getting game time. Otherwise there will be too much rotation in the league games

Far more beneficial for both parties for younger players to go out on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Far more beneficial for both parties for younger players to go out on loan.

More beneficial to get hacked around in the lower divisions rather than getting european experience against good technical opposition with your own teamates.:confused:

Also gives them the chance to form partnerships and develop with one another

Robson99 wrote: »
    More beneficial to get hacked around in the lower divisions rather than getting european experience against good technical opposition with your own teamates.:confused:

Also gives them the chance to form partnerships and develop with one another

Yes playing 30+ games in a grueling league would be far more beneficial for their development. Playing reserve football all season and a handful of European games when they are not match sharp won't be half as good for developing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"Hi Ryan, just calling because it's a match day and all."

"All right Ed, uhm, how are the kids?"

"Grand yeah, the little one had a bit of a cold there but it's gone now. Still on bad terms with the auld lad?"

"Yeah he has been badmouthing me in the press."

"Ah look, don't let it get to you. You're a top lad. Good luck tonight."

"Cheers Ed, catch you later."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

With new manager coming in, and after such an appalling season, and with no european games next season, I think this summer could be the perfect opportunity to do major surgery on a squad that looks stagnated. I think we could sell on up to ten players from the senior squad and bring in perhaps four or five world class players. Bear with me...
    Let's say we sold on Rio, Buttner, Vidic, Anderson, Cleverly, Fletcher, Nani, Young, Kagawa, Chico, Giggs, and Welbeck. We could get a lot of money for those who are still in contract, and it would free up a large portion of our wage bill.
    If we brought in four world class players - let's say Shaw, Mangala, Fabregas and Kroos. We would still have a large enough squad to make a serious challenge for the title and the domestic cups, by playing two teams. One for the league, one for the two cups.

First eleven -league team:
    DDG
    Raf-Smalling-Mangala-Shaw
    ----Fabregas-Kroos
    Mata---Rooney----Januzaj
    RVP

Second Eleven - cup team:
    Lindegaard
    Varela-Evans-Jones-Evra
    ----Fellaini--Carrick
    Valencia-Powell--Zaha
    Wilson

And we'd still have young, hungry players to step in: Keane, Janko, Pearson, Lawrence, Lingard, Amos

AND we would have a lot of money left over to buy some top players in during the next two transfer windows, with the 15/16 season in mind.

Just a thought... Attack me now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RE; Fellaini

Will most likely be starting for the national side being touted as a dark horse for the world cup. I don't think they will win it at all, but could be a surprise package in the knockout round.

I think anyone with a United interest would be served well watching him play for Belgium. I tried watching as many of the games as I could and he is just a different animal for the national side. Very much looks at home, comfortable and an excellent part of their team.

Could just be settling time needed, not easy to come into the squad this year, even Mata has somewhat faltered. If he has a World Cup campaign like I know he can, will very much be at the forefront of the new managers thoughts in terms of the immediate squad.

Despite some turgid displays and injury problems, I still think he is our best midfielder ahead of Carrick, Fletcher and Cleverly.

Didn't catch the game at all last night, was out being embarrassed at 5 aside, how did the team get on, the lineup looked mental :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

because Ryan Giggs, our current manager said he has not spoken to Woodward since saturday evening and indeed said he pnly had a few words with him then.

i see no reason for him to lie, he could just have given the usual response " i was asked to do the job for 4 games and we have not discussed anything different bla bla bla".

it really is amazing how selective people are on here to what they think is lies. if giggs said he didnt speak to him at all then he didnt and i think this is very strange, especially considering there was a game on yesterday.

Why?

What advice do you think Giggs would have been looking for from Woodward?

What input do you think Woodward should have had on the team and tactics yesterday?

Edit: I see people have asked you and you haven't been able to provide a single rational reason, no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

wIaLACf.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wildly beyond the realms of normality - I actually thought you might have something remotely plausible but it's pretty unbelievable that you think something along the lines of the above would potentially happen between the Chief Executive and the interim first team manager on the day of a match.

Out of interest, could you suggest something Giggs could reasonably respond to the question with?

"Any chance you could help us putting out the cones this evening Ed - I know you're busy but it's a match day like"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Hey Ryan, how's the new tea lady getting on? (HJ loves the tea lady)

Breakfast ok this morning?

Jerseys washed and ready to go? I hear there was some trouble spelling that young lad from Belgiums name....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Actually, it's hard not to lol but the only genuinely reasonable scenario for the two lads to require a chat on match day is as follows:
    Ryan: "What do I tell the press if they ask about the new manager?"

Ed: "Ah we're not really ready to announce anything yet, just fob them off for the moment."

Ryan: "Will I tell them I wasn't talking to you altogether?"

Ed: "Yeah, do sure. They'll know I have more important things to be doing than ringing you up every day to see how you're keeping and tell you everything that's going on at a corporate level anyway."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Saw this post with Vidic speaking to the fans....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90269331&postcount=274

Dude looks like he singing and not only singing, but singing My Way by Sinatra. Don't believe me? Look again....

88XfzL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    Why?

What advice do you think Giggs would have been looking for from Woodward?

What input do you think Woodward should have had on the team and tactics yesterday?

Edit: I see people have asked you and you haven't been able to provide a single rational reason, no probs

Fergie and Gill said they spoke daily.

Moyes and Giggs, seemingly, have said there is little communication from Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Saw this post with Vidic speaking to the fans....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90269331&postcount=274

Dude looks like he singing and not only singing, but singing My Way by Sinatra. Don't believe me? Look again....

88XfzL.jpg

Bm_G4w5CYAQJke2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anything that Giggs would need done would be done by people whose job it is to do those things; media relations would be handled by that department, not by Giggs and Woodward.

The reality is on a professional level, an intern manager shouldn't have all that much contact with the Chief Executive. They both have a list of jobs to do, and won't overlap all that much. When they do, the jobs will be handled by the 100 or so staff members around them.

Strikes me the only reason they'd be talking would be if they were friendly, and that shouldn't be expected or demanded. There's a difference between a personal and professional relationship. Just because Fergie and Gill had one sort of relationship (one built over years, not weeks) doesn't mean Giggs and Woodward should have an identical one, especially when Giggs is only in the job for 4 games...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

keane2097 wrote: »
    Wildly beyond the realms of normality - I actually thought you might have something remotely plausible but it's pretty unbelievable that you think something along the lines of the above would potentially happen between the Chief Executive and the interim first team manager on the day of a match.

Out of interest, could you suggest something Giggs could reasonably respond to the question with?

"Any chance you could help us putting out the cones this evening Ed - I know you're busy but it's a match day like"

"Well Ed, hows it goin? Ryan here. Listne, Rooney is not fully fit. Any chance you could start for us"

In all seriouness the squad has been together all week and training. Injuries and any problems with the current sqaud is up to the manager and coaching staff to deal with. Woodward may not even need to be informed of this stuff but would surely hear.

He is in his office dealing and communicating with our global partners and looking at ways on the upcoming tour to get more. That plus any progress made on targets Moyes had would still need keeping up on. Possibly conversation with LVG on Moyes and his targets to see if they fit the new manager and things LVG would like in place before he takes over. Woodward would have his plate extremely full.

He may pop into Carrington a couple of times a week and see Giggs and the coaching staff there and have an informal meeting.

Not only would all of this be normal it would 100% the right way to conduct things. The idea of him ringing Giggs a day or two before a match asking him if he needed anything for the match is laughable. Intereferring with Giggs job is what it would be and more insulting than helpful. "Well Ed I've been at the club 20+ years and involved in preparing for thousands of games, If I don't know how to set up by now I never will"

Its just more thinnly veiled Woodward bashing from Homerjay which offers nothing constructive to the thread other than him trying and failing to push his personal dislike of Woodward onto others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Moyes and Giggs, seemingly, have said there is little communication from Woodward.

any idea what SAF and Gill spoke about?Was it all football related or is it just that they were friendly?I don't see why a CEO and manager would speak daily.

a link to these quotes ?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

slow day lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Few rumors that Alexis Sanchez is close to joining Juventus for 20 Million Euro. Would have loved to see him at ManUtd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Mulk wrote: »
    Bm_G4w5CYAQJke2.jpg

4z7DEw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    slow day lads?

Yeah, maybe we should start talking about pandas and stuff to fill the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Whats laughable is that you are all arguing over a phone call!!!!!

Jesus lets get back to the name calling, whacky team selections, slagging our players and pissing pool fans off!

Yeah, maybe we should start talking about pandas and stuff to fill the time?

It would beat made up quotes from made up phone conversations :D

When did they say this? (Moyes and Giggs)

Fergie and Gill had a very long relationship, it is in no way comparable to Woodward and Giggs, none at all.

Now, when did Moyes and Giggs say there was little communication from Woody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

slow day lads?
    It is a bit.This thread is really slipping.

• Advertisement

This was in the later years when they'd been working together for years and seemed to have become friends as well as just work colleagues which can still be seen as they are often spotted in the stands talking.

I've heard plenty of times over the years Fergie commenting on his relationship with both Kenyon and Gill and was praising them for leaving him to do his job and if he wants anything he goes to them. I think he might even say it in the Treble 99 DVD.

Meh, about as bad as each other if you ask me.

Feck yis all

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9300618/sky-sources-manchester-united-set-make-louis-van-gaal-announcement-next-week

So next week after the season ends he will be appointed. Hopefully he gets some deals sorted before the WC, wins it RVP is top scorer comes back more deals, we all internet hug, start season win league, FA cup and League cup.

You are aware you dont have to read everything right?

You dont even have to click in to the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would prefer to be in the Europa league and making a serious effort to win it, its a trophy after all. But I do like the idea that the absence of European football would encourage a complete clear out of the squad. If less games means the new manager is more inclined to get rid of the likes of Valencia instead of keeping him as cover, then that couldn't be a bad thing.

On another point, am I the only one annoyed by the "give everybody a chance" approach Giggs has taken so far? These four games could have been put to some good use but instead he has chopped and changed worse than an international friendly and apart from maybe Wilson getting his goals the games have been no use whatsoever to anybody.

Could have given Nani four games to help him back up to speed, could have drpped Carrick and gave Felliani four games in that position, could have played Kagawa central for four games to try it out, could have played Buttner four games to see how he fared in an extended run.

All of those things could have paid off in the long term, but instead we got junior B style games for the boys that told nobody anything.

You are aware you dont have to read everything right?

You dont even have to click in to the thread

ditto

ditto

So instead of bitching about the content of the thread it might be more prudent for you to take your valuable time elsewhere?

The ditto is kinda irrelevant, consider this, you come into the thread and bitch about whats being discussed/argued/whatever in a general manner - pointless

I respond to you directly, reminding you of your ability to leave the thread at times if it isn't to your liking.

Can you spot the difference?

ditto

are-you-not-entertained.jpg?w=584

So instead of bitching about the content of the thread it might be more prudent for you to take your valuable time elsewhere?

The ditto is kinda irrelevant, consider this, you come into the thread and bitch about whats being discussed/argued/whatever in a general manner - pointless

I respond to you directly, reminding you of your ability to leave the thread at times if it isn't to your liking.

Can you spot the difference?

If you think I am 'bitching' about posts (which I am not) then use the report.gif function.

you suggested that I
    dont have to read everything right
    ...well' neither do you, so why comment on my posts, hence the ditto reply.

If you think I am 'bitching' about posts (which I am not) then use the report.gif function.

There's no sanction for bitching about posts anyway.

• Advertisement

you suggested that I ...well' neither do you, so why comment on my posts, hence the ditto reply.

I know I don't have to, I choose to respond to you at times

Is bitching against the charter?

Edit: I suggested you dont have to read everything right?

No, cant be, I suggest you do read everything right, it helps the flow of things!

I know I don't have to, I choose to respond to you at times

Is bitching against the charter?

If it was we would all be perma banned

If it was we would all be perma banned

The entire site would cease to exist in fact :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Get back to the football talk.

Woody should be phoning Giggs twice a day to make sure the kits are in order, the hot water is working properly in the showers and to see if they fixed the boiler yet as he is dying for a cuppa (Happy Mars ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm still surprised at how confident RVP was in that MUTV clip that was floating about last night.

I need to know what he is so happy about!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Brrp brrp brrp brrp.
    "hello Ryan giggs"

Pause
    "........what you doing in my house Ryan?"

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Few rumors that Alexis Sanchez is close to joining Juventus for 20 Million Euro. Would have loved to see him at ManUtd.

They will probably get Nani for around 10 million also. Conte is after building some world class team for pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

at least my gut feeling on announcement looks set to be right for change.

you can feel the tension building for summer transfers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Nuts102 wrote: »
    They will probably get Nani for around 10 million also. Conte is after building some world class team for pittance.

Nani is hardly world class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement