Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Delighted it is finally announced.

Now where the feck are my signings! I kid, I kid.

Really looking forward to seeing what LVG does with the new signigns, and with the players that remain. Really REALLY looking forward to the new season now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bangkok wrote: »
    def think we should try for fabregas again this summer.

Barca are even less likely to let him go now. Xavi has shown clear signs of decline, with Fabregas starting ahead of him on a number of notable occasions this season. Cesc is also their primary plan B when Messi isn't on form. I think United would be better off looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Van Gaal announcced?...

llXGbAn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Any word on Evra yet? I was away last week, did I miss anything?

Strongly linked to Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So numbers 5 7 8 & 11 all free next season... Wonder who'll take them any thoughts??

and Evra going means up to 5 first 11 jerseys to be filled. that in essence sums up the big rebuild that is now needed.

who will take them? we hope its players of the calibre of Hummels, Shaw/Coentrau & Kroos but the number 7 is a huge mystery.

lets see who Van Gaal has lined up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Barca are even less likely to let him go now. Xavi has shown clear signs of decline, with Fabregas starting ahead of him on a number of notable occasions this season. Cesc is also their primary plan B when Messi isn't on form. I think United would be better off looking elsewhere.

There seems to be a lot of talk out of Barcelona that they would sell Fabregas.

Logically, from the outside looking it, it wouldn't make much sense. However there is apparently something not right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

fabregas is regularly booed by the home fans, they haven't taken to him and a lot of barca's problems are blamed on him (unfairly I might add) doesn't seem to have a regular position with them. he has a good resale value as well, he is def up from grabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

and Evra going means up to 5 first 11 jerseys to be filled. that in essence sums up the big rebuild that is now needed.

who will take them? we hope its players of the calibre of Hummels, Shaw/Coentrau & Kroos but the number 7 is a huge mystery.

lets see who Van Gaal has lined up for it.

LukeShaw3
    5 - Hummels
    CR7 - has to be lads after he wins the UCL with real this saturday
    9 - Cavani
    11 - no one, it'll be retired as a mark of respct to Giggs
    15 will be free too

If fabregas came in i could see jones moving to #5 and fabregas #4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

brinty wrote: »
    LukeShaw3
    5 - Hummels
    CR7 - has to be lads after he wins the UCL with real this saturday
    9 - Cavani
    11 - no one, it'll be retired as a mark of respct to Giggs
    15 will be free too

We're not retiring any jersey number.

Cavani has stated he's staying a PSG next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blatter wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of talk out of Barcelona that they would sell Fabregas.

Logically, from the outside looking it, it wouldn't make much sense. However there is apparently something not right there.

The fans don't like him - haven't forgiven him for leaving, think he is lazy on the pitch too.

I reckon Barca would sell at the right price (FFP, their debt, wages and need to buy a few defenders contribute) and Fabregas will leave if Barcelona indicate they don't want him.

I reckon it is basically the same as last summer - neither would mind a parting of the ways, but neither want to be the one to publicly push for it. Which means, as it did last summer, if United want to buy him they will have to offer Barca a big whack of money - so Barca can say they couldn't turn the offer down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

And most likely 3.
    3 5 7 9 11 are a lot of first team numbers

Is Januzai too young for 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/19/en/football/barcelona/1400488431.html

Is Januzai too young for 7?

Ronaldo took it over at 18/19 from David Beckham, no reason he couldn't but i wouldn't burden him with the kind of pressure, unless he absolutely storms the world cup.

I think #7 will go to the big name signing of the summer whomever that may be..I'm not going to speculate or bull***t on who it might be...CR7 would be welcomed with open arms though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Januzaj to take either 7 or 11 and for it to be the making of him.

It'd gonna be so weird seeing anyone other than Giggs in 11, he's about the only player left from the non squad number days, like the rest of the class of 92 all wore twenty odd on their backs at the start. It's as close to a case for retiring a number as you will get.

Happy with Van Gaal announcement,seems to be a right character, I can't wait to see what he does with his 433 and how he moulds our players, and what he can do with players who at first glance don't appear to fit the system, he seems like the type who could inspire a guy to do something he previously wasn't capable of. It will be great to see us dominate possession against better sides, something even Fergie couldn't do an awful lot of the time.

The fact it was announced signals to me that signings must be imminent, you'd want a manager in place for any sort of high profile incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Seems like we've been linked with all these players. That being said a potential team with all the rumored signings would probably play like a Kevin Keegan team, win or lose 4-3 every game!
    De Gea
    Rafael---Hummels---Evans---Shaw
    Kroos
    Mata
    Fabregas
    CR7---RVP---Robben

Subs: Sagna, Kagawa, Strootman, Muller, Cavani, Reus, Smalling, Jones

Edit: RVP in, Rooney shoved out the door by LVG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Seems like we've been linked with all these players. That being said a potential team with all the rumored signings would probably play like a Kevin Keegan team, win or lose 4-3 every game!
    De Gea
    Kroos
    Mata
    Fabregas
    CR7---Rooney---Robben

Subs: Sagna, Robben, Strootman, Muller, Cavani, Reus, Smalling, Jones

you forgot our new captain RVP.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Someone should write a big ghey poem.

The little horse had faltered
    And the gunner's implosion left them lame,
    The scousers claimed they were back,
    Slipping back into the top 4, their second place trophy they did reclaim

The noisy neighbours triumphed,
    And the chosen one took the blame
    But the most successful club in England,
    United by stance and by name
    Will soon again be victorious
    The beginning of Aloysius van Gaal's Oranje reign

o-the-wolf-of-wall-street-facebook.jpg

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    you forgot our new captain RVP.....

So I did! It's madness, madness I tell ya!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have stuck that poem up on facebook (credited alchemist33 though of course) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

De Gea
    Kroos
    Mata
    Fabregas
    CR7---Rooney---Robben

Subs: Sagna, Robben, Strootman, Muller, Cavani, Reus, Smalling, Jones

He got a unheard of brother?

This is why I don't usually post team selections! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

no thats mark robins i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Touched base to check the news on LVG and HALLELUJAH it's done....

57128_The-Office.gif

• Advertisement

Since the announcement of our new Manager my facebook has been extremely quiet.....

18409579-illustration-of-funny-cartoon-creature-or-animal-character-s-eyes-hiding-under-big-rock-stone-s-holl.jpg

They've gone back into hiding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The old saying went that the best job in football would be the man who follows Fergie's successor. Louis van Gaal it is.
    He'll be entertaining. He's a winner. He'll get United back challenging. He looks a decent appointment to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was just thinking how different last season may have been had Giggs announced he was retiring at the start of it. It may have had a similar effect that BOD's farewell had with Ireland.

Although, I have been known to bemoan the rugby media portraying every match as O'Driscoll's farewell (he's had about half a dozen this year!) so given the all-encompassing world of Sky's coverage, it may have grown wearisome by the end of September :D

mDXUzNW.jpg

Hoek would have trained Van Der Sar at once stage. Don't know much about Bout.

• Advertisement

Any predictions of league positions for the duration of his 3 year contract?

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

Paddy_R wrote: »

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

paddy it'll be 1-1-1

C'mon lads optimism
    #theirontulip has landed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

I'm going with 4-2-1.

Edit: I'm adding the words 'league positions' to this post so that I can find it in three years if I'm right and say "Hey guys, I'm a genius!"
    Obviously I'll mysteriously forget all about it if I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm going with 4-2-1.

3-1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

1-15-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mDXUzNW.jpg

makes you ill to compare it to the lads that were there last year.

Round and Jimmy must be two of the luckiest men alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

With our resources and with no Champions league to distract we should really be there or thereabouts at the sharp end next season.

We can even make a proper run at the FA Cup, it'd be nice to win it again. Back to the basics of League and Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A league victory in three years would be pretty incredible work. When you factor in not only the work that needs doing on our squad, but the no doubt improvement that will take place at rivals.

But I do think he can do a serious job.

Predictions can make everyone look silly, but I think we have a good chance with LVG at the helm to get back into the top 4 immediately.

Depends on summer transfers really. I think we will still fall short of City and Chelsea as of now. I don't think Liverpool will be sustaaining a challenge next year.

I think we will find ourselves jossling with Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Are Scholesy and Butt out on thier ear now?

Would have been nice if they were kept as part of the youth team coaching staff even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Butt is involved with the U-21's. I don't know about Scholes.

• Advertisement

paddy it'll be 1-1-1

C'mon lads optimism
    #theirontulip has landed

Haha. It ill be hard to topple City and Chelsea I reckon. But a lot depends on transfers of course. And more so on how Van Gaal gets on. Despite all his success he had Barcelona 3pts off relegation in the January he was sacked. He can be quite inconsistent.

Actually I should have added the question how do people think he'll eventually part ways with the club?

- His last club job he was sacked due to poor position.
    - With AZ he left successful (although he had to be persuaded to stay on prior to that year after finishing a lowly 11th).
    - He left Ajaz due to an internal conflict.
    - Previous to that he was sacked at Barcelona when having them just 3pts off relegation in January.
    - In his first stint at Barcelona he was somewhat forced out following extreme media criticism (and losing the title).
    - At Ajax he could do no wrong and left successfully having served his contract.

I'll go for sacking due to poor results. There's very few go any other way these days.

But anyway, onwards!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

Has to be 4-3-3 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Haha. It ill be hard to topple City and Chelsea I reckon. But a lot depends on transfers of course. And more so on how Van Gaal gets on. Despite all his success he had Barcelona 3pts off relegation in the January he was sacked. He can be quite inconsistent.

Actually I should have added the question how do people think he'll eventually part ways with the club?

- His last club job he was sacked due to poor position.
    - With AZ he left successful (although he had to be persuaded to stay on prior to that year after finishing a lowly 11th).
    - He left Ajaz due to an internal conflict.
    - Previous to that he was sacked at Barcelona when having them just 3pts off relegation in January.
    - In his first stint at Barcelona he was somewhat forced out following extreme media criticism (and losing the title).
    - At Ajax he could do no wrong and left successfully having served his contract.

I'll go for sacking due to poor results. There's very few go any other way these days.

But anyway, onwards!! :D

Eugh... I'm putting a second guess into the hat to save face so.

11 - sacked - sacked ಠ_ಠ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

RobertKK wrote: »
    There is going to be no banner for Van Gaal after the disastrous chosen one.

And if one is put up he will personally tear it down himself

next season
    Citeh can't spend massive money on new players and strengthen or they'll breach FFP so need to consolidate and i think they might be aiming at UCL
    Liverpool will have to compete on 2 fronts and need to reinforce their whole squad in every line, could be hard pressed to replicate this season
    Chelsea will the jose honeymoon last if he doesn't get his way this summer.. too much disharmony there with players
    Arsenal still need a few players but will push up...
    Everton unless they get loan players in to do a similar job will fall
    Spurs have to sort themselves out

United have 38 league games and maybe 2-10 games in the cups depending their progress. If LvG could even get 3-5 new players in to strengthen up defence/midfield and win a league title/ finish second next season and add 3/4 more quality signings next summer theres no reason we couldn't be pushing on in europe in 2015/2016.
    2014/15 aim to win the league and implement the new 4-3-3 system
    2015/16 win the league and qf/sf of UCL
    2016/17 retain the league and win the UCL
    those are some acheivable goals which could be set out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

next season
    Citeh can't spend massive money on new players and strengthen or they'll breach FFP so need to consolidate and i think they might be aiming at UCL
    Liverpool will have to compete on 2 fronts and need to reinforce their whole squad in every line, could be hard pressed to replicate this season
    Chelsea will the jose honeymoon last if he doesn't get his way this summer.. too much disharmony there with players

United have 38 league games and maybe 2-10 games in the cups depending their progress. If LvG could even get 3-5 new players in to strengthen up defence/midfield and win a league title/ finish second next season and add 3/4 more quality signings next summer theres no reason we couldn't be pushing on in europe in 2015/2016.

Sounds easy when you put it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

next season

So basically he will have been a disappointment if he doesn't turn Utd into the best club in the world within three years of their worst season in the Premier League era? No pressure now, yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Next season will definitely not be boring for Utd with LVG at the helm.

I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

I'm going to go 4-2/1-1.

That's based on on getting the defence and CM position sorted out which is most definitely possible in a season given United's budget. Our attack is already stacked with talent and hopefully LVG is the man to get the best out of them.

Also assuming we don't sell any players to our rivals...you know Sunderland, West Ham & the other 17 teams. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Stretford End Flags
    The Moyes banner was made to show support for the new manager, as was the call by Fergie. The next manager will not have a banner made #mufc

Don't know if they are being snotty about the people who were frustrated with their old flag or what, but think it's stupid to say "No new manager banner". The problem wasn't with having a banner with Moyes on it; it was not knowing when to take it down and avoid a PR disaster for the group. I'd love to see King Louis banners up next season....

EDIT: Meanwhile, LvG's first four games will be LA Galaxy, Roma, Inter and Real. Exciting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement