Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Stretford End Flags
    The Moyes banner was made to show support for the new manager, as was the call by Fergie. The next manager will not have a banner made #mufc

Don't know if they are being snotty about the people who were frustrated with their old flag or what, but think it's stupid to say "No new manager banner". The problem wasn't with having a banner with Moyes on it; it was not knowing when to take it down and avoid a PR disaster for the group. I'd love to see King Louis banners up next season....

I think it's a bit silly to be putting up banners for a manager before the team has kicked a ball for them. Sure, stick one up for the first home to welcome them perhaps, but any massive banner like the Chosen One, or King Louis as you suggest, is just cringe-worthy for me if it hasn't been earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

brinty wrote: »
    next season
    Citeh can't spend massive money on new players and strengthen or they'll breach FFP so need to consolidate and i think they might be aiming at UCL
    Liverpool will have to compete on 2 fronts and need to reinforce their whole squad in every line, could be hard pressed to replicate this season
    Chelsea will the jose honeymoon last if he doesn't get his way this summer.. too much disharmony there with players
    Arsenal still need a few players but will push up...
    Everton unless they get loan players in to do a similar job will fall
    Spurs have to sort themselves out

United have 38 league games and maybe 2-10 games in the cups depending their progress. If LvG could even get 3-5 new players in to strengthen up defence/midfield and win a league title/ finish second next season and add 3/4 more quality signings next summer theres no reason we couldn't be pushing on in europe in 2015/2016.
    2014/15 aim to win the league and implement the new 4-3-3 system
    2015/16 win the league and qf/sf of UCL
    2016/17 retain the league and win the UCL
    those are some acheivable goals which could be set out

Turn off the Playstation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

next season
    Citeh can't spend massive money on new players and strengthen or they'll breach FFP so need to consolidate and i think they might be aiming at UCL
    Liverpool will have to compete on 2 fronts and need to reinforce their whole squad in every line, could be hard pressed to replicate this season
    Chelsea will the jose honeymoon last if he doesn't get his way this summer.. too much disharmony there with players

United have 38 league games and maybe 2-10 games in the cups depending their progress. If LvG could even get 3-5 new players in to strengthen up defence/midfield and win a league title/ finish second next season and add 3/4 more quality signings next summer theres no reason we couldn't be pushing on in europe in 2015/2016.

So win the league for the next 3 years and just the one champions league? Not looking for much, get champions league football and a decent cup run I'd be happy. Anything above that next season is a bonus. The following season and a tilt at the title would make me happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Next season I expect us back in the top 4 at a minimum
    The following season we should be competing for the title, not necessarily winning it but mounting a genuine challenge. Also, quarters of CL at least.
    3rd season we should be equal favourites along with City/Chelsea for the league title. Semis or better in the CL

Most of all, I want to see LVG implement a rock solid style of attacking football on the team and bring back the winning mentality. No more bullsh1t of us being steamrolled in our own back yard.

We have the manager, we have the money, we have the history and traditions of being the best.

Over the next 3 years there is no reason why we shouldn't improve drastically and ultimately be going toe to toe with the best of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

as much as we hated Moyes, taking down the banner while he was manager would have been the wrong choice.

while he was in the job or more to the point during games, he needed the support of the fans and he got it. its just a shame the players didnt do the same.

those comments from Kagawa about players being in world cup mode for weeks, was very poor taste - that lad has been in world cup mode for 2 seasons now looks like :cool:

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »
    Next season I expect us back in the top 4 at a minimum

it depends on who we sign. we have a great summer and sign the players we are linked with - kroos, Shaw and Hummels and we will rattle the league title, but i think we'd still fall short. have another summer like last year and we wont finish in top 4 or get near it.

right now, i think we would miss out on top 4, but take 5th place - thats what Moyes could and should have achieved with that squad considering all the issues (these issues wouldnt have happened if a better manager got the job). BUT, its really is impossible to tell, its the most important transfer window in the history of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

it depends on who we sign. we have a great summer and sign the players we are linked with - kroos, Shaw and Hummels and we will rattle the league title, but i think we'd still fall short. have another summer like last year and we wont finish in top 4 or get near it.

Agreed.

I don't think Van Gaal would have taken the job without being sure he would get the money he needs to strengthen the 1st team. A summer like last years utter embarrassment surely couldn't be allowed to happen again. There is simply too much at stake. If Utd have another season of mediocrity it will really start to hurt the brand, and the glazers will not have that.

Quandary wrote: »
    Agreed.

I don't think Van Gaal would have taken the job without being sure he would get the money he needs to strengthen the 1st team. A summer like last years utter embarrassment surely couldn't be allowed to happen again. There is simply too much at stake. If Utd have another season of mediocrity it will really start to hurt the brand, and the glazers will not have that.

the problem is though United may have the money, will and need for these players, BUT delivering them has been a problem over the last few years, with a few notable exceptions of course.

of course, the other side of it is that with a top class manager, we will attract top class players.

the difference in mood today compared to the day Moyes got the job is incredible. People are genuinely excited, thrilled and looking forward...when Moyes got the job the expectations and mood just dropped completely.

Moyes got the support publicly, but inside very few people were that happy with it and were sure it was the right move and looking back now, today just shows the decision to even consider Moyes in the first place was just shocking.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    A league victory in three years would be pretty incredible work. When you factor in not only the work that needs doing on our squad, but the no doubt improvement that will take place at rivals.

But I do think he can do a serious job.

Predictions can make everyone look silly, but I think we have a good chance with LVG at the helm to get back into the top 4 immediately.

Depends on summer transfers really. I think we will still fall short of City and Chelsea as of now. I don't think Liverpool will be sustaaining a challenge next year.

I think we will find ourselves jossling with Arsenal.

This. A realistic Approach. Defiantly at a minimum Champions League Qualification though.

And maybe a domestic Cup to top it off. That would be a great stepping stone for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Phil McNulty says it's likely that we're going to sign Shaw. Must be 99% there.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Phil McNulty says it's likely that we're going to sign Shaw. Must be 99% there.

are people happy to spend almost £30million on Shaw if it was clear that a cheaper option like Coentrau was available for £10million if that £20million was then spent towards another world class player?

or put it better - which would make people happier -

a - 3 players in total including Shaw or
    b - 4 players for the same money, just with Coentrau instead?

i think id go for option b to be honest.

£30 million for an unproven player is huge money and a huge risk....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

as much as we hated Moyes, taking down the banner while he was manager would have been the wrong choice.

while he was in the job or more to the point during games, he needed the support of the fans and he got it. its just a shame the players didnt do the same.

I get the point you're making, but I feel that in their bid to not make the banner into a talisman that would herald the loss of support for him, they achieved exactly what they wanted to avoid. Had the banner been replaced quietly around Xmas, I doubt many would have noticed. The longer it went, the more flack they were going to get for it.

I also don't think it's fair then to say "The new manager isn't getting one", because it comes across as a bit sour; van gaal is probably more deserving of one quicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

are people happy to spend almost £30million on Shaw if it was clear that a cheaper option like Coentrau was available for £10million if that £20million was then spent towards another world class player?

I would agree that it's a lot of money and you could almost certainly find better value elsewhere but I think it's wrong of you to say he's unproven. He's had two excellent seasons in the PL and is 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just saw on SSN that Giggsy was never sent off while playing for United, that is phenomenal.

Genuinely excited for next season, I cannot wait to see LVG's first press conference, and at a minimum I want to see CL qualification and revenge had for some of the hockeyings we got last year.

• Just saw on SSN that Giggsy was never sent off while playing for United, that is phenomenal.

Genuinely excited for next season, I cannot wait to see LVG's first press conference, and at a minimum I want to see CL qualification and revenge had for some of the hockeyings we got last year.

No way? In all competitions????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We could sign Shaw soon enough.

Would not be totally shocked if it were done within 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Would be a great start to summer. LVG and Shaw announced nice and early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

next season

Cant believe you were being such an ass to bangkok I think about his post and you come out with this muck.

Giggs>Lineker

Plus Giggs did not poo poo in his pance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It'll be sooner rather than later I think. They won't want to risk dragging it on over the World Cup.

It seems certain to be agreed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I know we desperately need a LB and at a new CB but I'd prefer to see CM prioritised as it's more or less been neglected for the last few years, while huge amounts of money have been spent on transfers. Heck even the Mata money would have better served the club being spent on a CM.

I would choose option B if it ment an extra quality player in the middle over option b.

However I will be very happy if Utd sign Shaw. From what I've seen of him over the last couple of seasons he looks out and out quality and could be a brilliant investment for the club if they get a good few years out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Giggs>Lineker

Plus Giggs did not poo poo in his pance

Linker was never booked though.

I am happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ducker saying that United could look to rotate Shaw and Evra. I don't think you spend £30Million on a full back and not play him.

Ogden has a piece up about van Gaal but apparently you need to subscribe to read the Torygraph! Yikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

In my opinion Luke Shaw is the best left back in the Premier League. He's 18. He's never played in the Champions League but as we are not in the Champions League, he will have at least a season under his belt at United by the time we could be back in there.

Why settle for a "cheaper" option? Why not go out and buy the best available player who will lock down the position for the next 10 years at least.

Fabio Coentrao has never played in the Premier League, he would be more of a risk for me than Luke Shaw.

I'd be very upset if we cheaped out on star quality talent, and I doubt buying Shaw would impact out other signings. We're not going to sign Reus, Kroos, Hummels, and Cavani, so we will have more money available than most think.

Shaw being English could be important if the club goes after a load of non English players.

Mikey nailed it. Invest heavily, the club can afford it. Hopefully we get a good mix of quality youthful players and a beastly cm or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

makes you ill to compare it to the lads that were there last year.

Round and Jimmy must be two of the luckiest men alive.

Ha, for all we know Hoek and Bout are the dutch Round and Jimmy. Just because they are foreign doesn't automatically make them great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Coentrao must be the most overrated player in this thread since United almost signed him that time. He's very average. Would be a terrible waste to spend a chunk on him.

• Advertisement

Ha, for all we know Hoek and Bout are the dutch Round and Jimmy. Just because they are foreign doesn't automatically make them great.

Everyone makes judgements based solely on nationality. They aren't smart enough to consider, for example, the difference between achieving little at clubs like Preston North End and Everton, or dominating Europe with Bayern Munich and taking the Netherlands to the World Cup.

Would you stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Blatter wrote: »
    It'll be sooner rather than later I think. They won't want to risk dragging it on over the World Cup.

It seems certain to be agreed anyway.

Think your right. I reckon all parties will want it wrapped up before the World Cup starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RTE with the worst story ive seen so far about it.

Did you know we beat a Van Gaal team to get to the world cup in 2002. DID YOU!!?? DID YOU!!!????
    Now heres Brian Kerr and some babble talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would you stop.

Would you stop...

...pretending you know **** all about Bout and Hoek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Shaw, a couple of midfielders of top quality, a centre back and a winger - and I reckon we'll win the Champions League next season, never mind get top 4.

Would you stop...

No.

• Advertisement

Doom and gloom to Boom Boom Boom in space of 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would you stop...

I know Hoek played a big part in the development of Valdes and Van Der Sar - so I reckon De Gea is in safe hands. Valdes and Van Der Sar were/are two of the best sweepers in the last while - so I reckon we'll see a good improvement in DDGs positioning when we have the ball and reactions to the oppositions movement. Know nowt about either beyond that, but their CV is certainly more impressive than Round and Lumsden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Doom and gloom to Boom Boom Boom in space of 24 hours.

Now I'm going to post this every time we get good news this summer:

KEW, KEW, KEW, KEW!!

There is a Arsense Wenger song from that very same band that would get a lengthy ban were anyone to publish it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

There is a Arsense Wenger song from that very same band that would get a lengthy ban were anyone to publish it

It's a bit bad taste in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Xenji wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2014-04-08-at-18.03.20.png

The phrase 'we'll never see his likes again' is overused but is perfectly suited for Giggsy. What a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Giggs has been a great player for United, I still can't get over what he did to his brother though. It makes me wonder what type of person does that?

On the field he has been exemplary and did great to be still playing at 40.

What Giggs did off the field was 50 times worse then Terry

But, from football point of view he was legend and I'm happy to see him get the mini gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Couldn't give a shìt what he did off the pitch TBH. So long as it's not affecting performances on the pitch I don't think anybody should really care, it's not a soap opera.
    That goes the other way too, we hear of certain players being involved with charities and being such great guys off the pitch... makes no difference to me when they are a dick on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Transfer News Live ‏@DeadlineDayLive
    Barcelona will listen to offers for Fàbregas, Alves, Adriano, Alexis, Mascherano & Pedro this summer. (Source: Sky Sports’ Guillem Balague)

Ah so Barcelona aren't selling anybody then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Now I'm going to post this every time we get good news this summer:

Now I don't know if I want loads of good news or no good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    The phrase 'we'll never see his likes again' is overused but is perfectly suited for Giggsy. What a player.

It really is an astounding career, isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Ah so Barcelona aren't selling anybody then

Guillem Balague wouldn't be the most reliable of sources in all fairness.

Also, aren't Barca redeveloping the Nou Camp in a couple of years? I would say that will set that will cost a pretty penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

40 Numbers That Sum Up Ryan Giggs.

Some really cool factoids and future pub quiz questions.

My own favourite is this.
    12 – The number of teams Giggs has faced and hasn’t beaten. For the record, they are: Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, CFR Cluj, Galatasaray, Olympique Lyonnais, Rayos del Necaxa, Rotor Volgograd, Sparta Prague, Torpedo Moscow, Vasco da Gama and Villarreal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Delighted that LVG has finally been announced - he just seems the perfect man for a hard job to come at United... I assume Woodward has set out available transfer funds in detail and now we really have to kick on and add quality to the team. Hopefully Shaw is announced within the next 48hrs and another one or two before the WC.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement