Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

gosplan wrote: »
    It really is an astounding career, isn't it.

Really is when you see it in black and white 13 league titles! I never thought I'd see anyone even approach Phil Neal s total in my life time. Giggs obliterated it.

Here's a good question. Has any player win more league titles in the top European or South American leagues? I'd be surprised if the answer was yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

40 Numbers That Sum Up Ryan Giggs.

Some really cool factoids and future pub quiz questions.

My own favourite is this.

Not one domestic club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

No words needed - Goodbye ya bloody legend

Wayne Rooney ‏@WayneRooney 1 min
    Great to see Louis Van Gaal has been named @ManUtd manager. Looking forward to working with him.

Aww teachers little pet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think his most important goal in the treble winning season was the 90th minute leveller against Juve at home.

IMO it was the goal that gave us some chance of the treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Thank god for the World Cup to distract us from the transfer market. Last Summer was torture. At least we'll know not much is going on when the tournament starts.

I'd love Shaw and 2 world class signings before the World Cup but I've a feeling we may only see Shaw if any.

2 signings of note is my prediction before WC

I think his most important goal in the treble winning season was the 90th minute leveller against Juve at home.

Nahhhh. The Arsenal FA Cup semi final goal by a mile.

And probably his most important action was scuffing the shot in the CL final which went to Sheringham to stroke in.

99 was unreal when you think of it. Amazing moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Blatter wrote: »
    I would agree that it's a lot of money and you could almost certainly find better value elsewhere but I think it's wrong of you to say he's unproven. He's had two excellent seasons in the PL and is 18.

for a £30million player, he is as unproven as it comes. they step up to united is huge. of course he has the potential to make it but its a big risk.

other clubs are able to sign top class full backs and defenders for £10m-£15million, if we sign Shaw we will have paid £50million for him plus an unproven player from Blackburn...its staggering money.

great if it comes off of course.

GSPfan wrote: »
    And probably his most important action was scuffing the shot in the CL final which went to Sheringham to stroke in.

99 was unreal when you think of it. Amazing moments.

It was a unreal season.

So many memories. So many close shaves. All those 50/50s went our way.

Such a bitter sweet day. I am so excited to see LVG in the dugout come August, hopefully he attracts and signs the 3-4 top class talents we need in the first team. His presence is enormous, and I can see a "Louis and the English Media" thread opening where images and gifs off him laying the smackdown on the likes of Jeff Shreeves will be posted.

Now the bitter; Ryan of the clan Giggs. What a professional, what a player, what a United legend. I can argue that his rare appearances in 2013-14 showed that he perhaps still had something to offer, but the time is now right for him to bow out. Shame he couldn't go out on a winner like Fergie and Scholes got to do in 2012/13, but this shouldn't detract from his accolades and achievements. Mark Hughes was my first favourite player in a United shirt, quickly to be replaced by Giggs once the floppy-haired youngster arrived on the scene in 1991. To think that I got to watch the birth, peak and end of his footballing career is something I probably won't fully realise the privilege of for another 15-20 years.

So where to now? Too soon to tell. No matter how good the Iron Tulip is, with the squad as it currently is I would struggle to see us competing for top 4 next season. I am confident though that this will finally be the year we address the midfield void with the quality talent that it desperately craves. That along with some defensive additions should see us sure to compete for top 4 at a minimum.

Last year, I was a fan who was satisfied with the Moyes appointment. Now though, with the feelings I'm getting from LVG's appointment I can now see that satisfaction does not equal excitement. The night before LVG's first game in charge for United, I will be like a 7 year old on Christmas Eve as I'm sure we all will be.

Louis Van Gaal, the hero we not only need, but deserve as well. Already he has one up on Batman! This could be the beginning of something truly magnificent.

It was a unreal season.

So many memories. So many close shaves. All those 50/50s went our way.
    Ah FFS its sick really, I was 7 and most of it went all over my head at the time :(

stankratz wrote: »
    Such a bitter sweet day. I am so excited to see LVG in the dugout come August, hopefully he attracts and signs the 3-4 top class talents we need in the first team. His presence is enormous, and I can see a "Louis and the English Media" thread opening where images and gifs off him laying the smackdown on the likes of Jeff Shreeves will be posted.

Now the bitter; Ryan of the clan Giggs. What a professional, what a player, what a United legend. I can argue that his rare appearances in 2013-14 showed that he perhaps still had something to offer, but the time is now right for him to bow out. Shame he couldn't go out on a winner like Fergie and Scholes got to do in 2012/13, but this shouldn't detract from his accolades and achievements. Mark Hughes was my first favourite player in a United shirt, quickly to be replaced by Giggs once the floppy-haired youngster arrived on the scene in 1991. To think that I got to watch the birth, peak and end of his footballing career is something I probably won't fully realise the privilege of for another 15-20 years.

So where to now? Too soon to tell. No matter how good the Iron Tulip is, with the squad as it currently is I would struggle to see us competing for top 4 next season. I am confident though that this will finally be the year we address the midfield void with the quality talent that it desperately craves. That along with some defensive additions should see us sure to compete for top 4 at a minimum.

Last year, I was a fan who was satisfied with the Moyes appointment. Now though, with the feelings I'm getting from LVG's appointment I can now see that satisfaction does not equal excitement. The night before LVG's first game in charge for United, I will be like a 7 year old on Christmas Eve as I'm sure we all will be.

Louis Van Gaal, the hero we not only need, but deserve as well. Already he has one up on Batman! This could be the beginning of something truly magnificent.
    Ah hahaha that's fcuking gas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

really looking forward to next season, but at the same time I am really apprehensive regarding the next few weeks.

I can't wait to see what happens with the United squad, and what Van Gaal does to it - who he keeps, how he deploys them, how he improves them, and even who is told to feck off.

On the one hand I am delighted with him - I've called for him over Ancellotti, who was the only guy I thought we were after other than LVG that we had some sort of chance with. I think LVG has shown a better ability and history of building teams, and that is what I think United need - we need to be rebuilt. I think his no-nonsense attitude with a determination to put the team plan first, to brook no ego or wage packet - you play for the team, for the system, is exactly what our team needs.

There has been talk of how we will our current players into a 433, or what it means for some of them - but from what I have read about LVG over his career - he adapts his formation to the squad he has, and the opposition he is playing. Even look at the dutch plans for the WC - looks like they are going to change to a 352, because it suits the players more. I'm not so sure LVG will have us playing 433, or 352 for that matter - I think he will assess what works best with the squad he will assemble. What I do think he has, is a general style of play - possession based, but not just for the sake of holding on to the ball - he wants his teams to attack and be decisive. Could be fun.

Will be very intersting to see what happens over the next few weeks - as I think Woodward has to show he has learned from his mistakes last summer. We need to be decisive over our transfer movements. Make bids, and move on if they aren't going anywhere - none of this 'weighing up' bids like we did last summer with Fabregas, wasting over a month on one target and getting nowhere. Seemingly we have a large list of targets drawn up - 3 choices for every position. Bid big and move on to the next one.

Where my apprehension really comes from is how the summer goes, and what happens after.

Firstly, as I say I think we need to be quick in the transfer market - but without LVG to push Woodward on the way with bids, I worry we may got bogged down on bids going nowhere.

Secondly, if Holland go far in the comp, LVG misses the first 2 weeks of preseason (along with his coaches bar Giggs) - so two weeks of pre-season are wasted or ineffectual. LVG could need to go straight from the world cup to America. Though, obviously, this is a problem that would have been acknowledged all along. I'm sure (or hopefull...) that a plan has been drawn up for this.

Thirdly - his fallouts with Rivaldo, Riquelme and Toni worry me; if he falls out with a player, or simply decides he is not his man there could be big big issues. We've already seen what happens when United players get their noses out of joint. THough RVP has shown LVG respects players who knuckle down and fight for their place back.

• Advertisement

"Iron Tulip"

We have a winner!

10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thirdly - his fallouts with Rivaldo, Riquelme and Toni worry me; if he falls out with a player, or simply decides he is not his man there could be big big issues. We've already seen what happens when United players get their noses out of joint. THough RVP has shown LVG respects players who knuckle down and fight for their place back.

Rivaldo wasn't so much a falling out as Rivaldo saying he wasn't going to play where Van Gaal liked him to play anymore, where he had won a WPOTY award. Van Gaal said, thats his choice, and that was that

Riquelme was not a falling out at all

Toni I will give you for argument sake, but it was more a case of the player displaying a poor attitude and the manager not taking any ****. No real problem there for me

So I take it we will all be shouting for Holland now in the world cup

The Orange Order

This delights me not worries me. Every top manager falls out with players. For good reason too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Advertisement

This delights me not worries me. Every top manager falls out with players. For good reason too.

+1

I be only too happy for him to give his hair dryer treatment to a player not doing his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Why settle for a "cheaper" option?

pure and simple and i thought it was obvious, spending money doesnt really equate to success or that a player will go on to be a club legend. cheaper is not the best word to describe it either and you seem to be focusing on this, i call it value. fergie took value to a new level ie not spending money, but theres examples like jordi Alba for £11m and Varane for £8million that top class talent is available and thats just two of many. instead we seem to do it the hard way - forking out £27m for Fellaini, £30million for Berbatov, £16+ for Young and Valencia and £20m for Jones. these are players that should have cost us alot less and have led to our squad first 11 being so poor now. the insane money spent on each of these, meant when push came to shove on proper big deals that we should be closing (Benzema, Hazard, Lucas) we bulked at the price and let other teams slip in.

we spent that money on Rooney and Rio but both of them were a level up and had been top class players for England in Euro 2002 - hopefully Shaw can do the same but he may not even feature in Brazil.

Shaw can and prob will go on to be a sensational player for us, but £30million is obscene money for a left back. and people seem to think we have an endless pit of money....i think they are in for a shock.

The Orange Order

I am looking forward to England games and Holland games as the most interesting. But funnily enough i will be happy for both to go far or go out at the group stage if it does happen. There is benefits for both scenarios.

The Orange Order
    tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

But Mitch, Fergie had fallouts with big players too. Keane, Stam and Beckham are three right off the bat. Rooney to a different extent (arguable he would have been gone this season had Fergie stayed in charge). No player is bigger than the club and with the egos around these days the manager has to be a disciplinarian.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No more Giggs making young fellas look silly on a football field. Sad that he retires on the back of what was probably the worst season he had in his career for results. Kind of wish he went when SAF did now.

On the other hand its amazing to look back and see the greatest career any United player could wish for. Delighted he will be a coach next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

miralize wrote: »
    I can see Tello being somewhat of a good fit for you. You guys have a pace problem, he has pace to burn. Not the best passer or with the ball at his feet, but he doesnt shy away from taking on opponents.

This describes Usain Bolt aswell, should we buy him too?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

kryogen wrote: »
    Rivaldo wasn't so much a falling out as Rivaldo saying he wasn't going to play where Van Gaal liked him to play anymore, where he had won a WPOTY award. Van Gaal said, thats his choice, and that was that

Riquelme was not a falling out at all

Toni I will give you for argument sake, but it was more a case of the player displaying a poor attitude and the manager not taking any ****. No real problem there for me

He fell out with Van Bommel too and although past his best was still an influential figure at Bayern.

Had run ins with Badstuber, Robben and Ribery too.

Not that any of this is a sin and a lot here are delighted to hear such stories but it will be interesting to see how people react if he casts aside/falls out with one of the less confrontational players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Van Gaal: ‘I’ll undoubtedly have a drink with Ferguson. We’ve done that before. We like each other.’

Van Gaal: ‘The aim is to bring them back to the NR. 1 position as soon as possible, because that’s where they were under Sir Alex Ferguson.’

Van Gaal: ‘Mourinho was the first one I texted. And he was the first one to text me back. He said he was jealous of my list of clubs’

Apart from obvious things I bloody can't wait to see Geoff Shreeves bricking it when interviewing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Apart from obvious things I bloody can't wait to see Geoff Shreeves bricking it when interviewing him.

Ya there will be a novelty factor at the beginning alright with him being something new to the PL.

Seeing all the archived footage of Giggs over the years has made me realise one thing...

How the fook did I ever watch standard definition tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Seeing all the archived footage of Giggs over the years has made me realise one thing...

How the fook did I ever watch standard definition tv.

If thats the only thing you realise from watching footage of Ryan Giggs in his prime....

There's the door.

p_20100820030057prestige_hardwood_door.jpg
    Gtfo plz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,660 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully redknapp will get a abuse from LVG

Giggs in 99 was only a 1/3 of the way through his career then. Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Headshot wrote: »
    Hopefully redknapp will get a abuse from LVG

A Kung Fu kick in the face if we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,660 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm reading that Ryan Giggs thread and just shows why I seldom post outside this thread. Very spiteful people out there that are far to tribalistic.

Thanks Giggs for being a great servant to utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Shaw can and prob will go on to be a sensational player for us, but £30million is obscene money for a left back. and people seem to think we have an endless pit of money....i think they are in for a shock.

Shaw is outstanding and already in the top 3 in his position in the league at the age of 18. Alves cost similar money and Barca wont get 12 years out of him.

Il let the money men worry about what we can and cant spend. If the best young players are available we should be at the head of the queue. The value of players gets reset every window, Southampton are in a unique situation where he is absolutely worth £30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'm reading that Ryan Giggs thread and just shows why I seldom post outside this thread. Very spiteful people out there that are far to tribalistic.

The Giggs and Van Gaal threads are rampant with ABU's trying to shhot down anything positive said about Utd. Much the same as all season and all the same names keep popping up.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    The Giggs and Van Gaal threads are rampant with ABU's trying to shhot down anything positive said about Utd. Much the same as all season and all the same names keep popping up.
    Their time will come my friend - their time will come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Some mentioned the FA Cup. It's about effing time we won that competition again! The Arse are level with us now in number of victories, 11. We haven't won it since 2004.

What do we hope for Netherlands? Do we cheer them or do we hope they crash out of the group, so Van Gaal can start "early"? Their group is difficult enough with Spain and Chile there (and Australia, but that's an easy one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My Ryan Giggs memory?

Fluffing that shot against Portsmouth. We could have had another treble. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Any predictions of league positions for the duration of his 3 year contract?

I'd have to guess 3-3-3.

Ah Jaysus, even the most ambitious of us United fans, wouldn't be predicting three Trebles in three consecutive years.

I noticed this quote from one of the Glazers in the announcement:
    "Louis joins us at an exciting time and has already communicated some great ideas for how the club can move forward. The board is right behind him in his plans and everyone here is already looking forward to the start of next season.”

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is how it's done HS.

• Advertisement

A little write-up about the new Dutch coaches at United. Some of you might find it informative.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/who-are-manchester-uniteds-new-coaches-frans-hoek-marcel-bout-1449196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My Ryan Giggs memory?

Fluffing that shot against Portsmouth. We could have had another treble. :(

I prefer to remember him for this....

One of the greatest goals you'll ever see.

One final question and I'm off: When will the club upgrade their website? It has looked the same forever and needs an overhaul to catch up with modern web design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

sigmundv wrote: »
    One final question and I'm off: When will the club upgrade their website? It has looked the same forever and needs an overhaul to catch up with modern web design.

Apparently, the club are/were looking for a new social media manager. So if thats correct, you'd presume things would need changing. They have for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

sigmundv wrote: »

It really is the most unwelcoming website. I just stopped visiting it because of stupid annoying popups. Some of which I couldn't even get rid of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement