Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

TheTownie wrote: »
    He fell out with Van Bommel too and although past his best was still an influential figure at Bayern.

Had run ins with Badstuber, Robben and Ribery too.

Not that any of this is a sin and a lot here are delighted to hear such stories but it will be interesting to see how people react if he casts aside/falls out with one of the less confrontational players.

Can't say I heard anything concrete about himself and Van Bommel, would be open to hearing more? Just that there were rumours Van Bommel found him hard to work with (Two Dutch guys not getting along eh!?)

Badstuber he gave his chance to, again, I don't know a whole lot about any falling out. Robben can be a little **** and Ribery is hardly an angel either but I know Robben at least is quite positive in his comments about Van Gaal

Dont think you can put either of them in the less confrontational category either, or Van Bommel :)

Edit: I am on record as saying that long term I am not in the Van Gaal camp,but for the job at hand I dont think there is a better choice out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

That Giggs thread is a car crash, Shame two of my favourite players retire in the same week and probably two of the best pro's ever to play the game, Giggs and Zanetti fair play to them for the success they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3

"I am weighing up my options for playing next season with my agent and sadly it does not look like chelsea will be one of them"

Sign him up Louis

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3

"I am weighing up my options for playing next season with my agent and sadly it does not look like chelsea will be one of them"

Sign him up Louis

No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3

Sign him up Louis

post-25055-NOPE-Louis-CK-gif-nAu4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Now we're being linked with Mandzukic, why oh why

Shaw for £30m or Cole for free, I know who I'd pick

We already have/had a great LB well past his best why would you want Cole? Add to the fact he's probably one of the most dislikable footballers around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Shaw for 30m?

It'd be very short sighted of us to sign Cole in that we'll be at this point in 2 or 3 years time going 'we need a left back' wondering why we didn't sign Shaw who has fantastic potential.

We have always tried to sign the best young talent and develop it. I really don't care how much we spend on players like Shaw because it's important we spend money and rebuild.

My point is that's £25-30m that could be spent on more important areas in need of improving like CB and CM.

• Advertisement

My point is that's £25-30m that could be spent on more important areas in need of improving like CB and CM.

Ye Evras been solid for years thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jonathon Wilson on Second Captains said that he wouldn't be surprised to see Ander Herrera come to United as he's very much a midfielder in the van Gaal mould. I have to say that I wasn't that impressed with him this year but Wilson knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3

Sign him up Louis

rather stick a fork in my eye than have him wear our red shirt

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Ye Evras been solid for years thankfully

Our best 2 centre backs also just left the club, and Cleverley is starting games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

We should be buying 3-4 players for that kind of money given we make.

It won't be a case of a CM or LB or CB. It's all of them. And it's about time.

Well I hope that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Our best 2 centre backs also just left the club, and Cleverley is starting games.

All those positions need to be sorted, signing a LB won't effect the other positions that need to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Daily Mail reporting that Mandzukic has had a bust-up with Pep and will be our first signing. BBC reported it in their gossip section, so it is probably false. Hope we get some transfer business sorted quickly to avoid a Summer like the last one.

On LvG, he wasn't my first choice initially but having watched some videos of interviews, speeches etc., it's clear he takes no sh*t. Just what we need for the clearout. We may not win anything for a few years, but we have to be getting top 4 next season, and you can be sure we'll be in a better place whenever he leaves than where we are now. Exciting times.

beno619 wrote: »
    All those positions need to be sorted, signing a LB won't effect the other positions that need to be addressed.

It would effect the transfer budget left for other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Id rather shaw to learn how to defend better watching cole than evra in training. Cant stand cole but him and shaw would be a better 2 than shaw and evra.

I don't think it would hinder the transfer activity though

When the lists are being drawn up, maximum bids and that would be gone through for each player and weighed up against the overall money the club has forecasted spending, it may not have a set in stone budget that will be strictly adhered to but there will be a limit and that limit is probably the max bid for the 5 top targets (assuming there are 5, ie. CM, CM, CB, LB, LW, RW? there may be more or less, just an example)

The top priority targets will have all been discussed, the maximum outlay predicted and the maximum for each target then, if the club is willing to pay £30m for Shaw then I am confident that has been accounted for when drawing up the budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Daily Mail reporting that Mandzukic has had a bust-up with Pep and will be our first signing. BBC reported it in their gossip section, so it is probably false. Hope we get some transfer business sorted quickly to avoid a Summer like the last one.

I don't think Mandzukic would be a good signing for United. He's not needed, and he's quite limited. I'd say Chelsea is a more likely landing spot, as a backup to Costa.

I wouldn't say no to Cashley, but not for the money he will likely be offered elsewhere, he would have to be coming in on a good deal for the club. Still think he has plenty to offer and could be a good mentor to the likes of Shaw if he does come in, I also think Evra could provide the role though, cover and elder statesman. Not sure either really want that role, and I highly doubt either have to settle for it yet

I don't think Mandzukic would be a good signing for United. He's not needed, and he's quite limited. I'd say Chelsea is a more likely landing spot, as a backup to Costa.

I actually like him, but agree he is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Now if only Kroos could have a bust-up with Guardiola we'd be set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

On another note has there been any rumours about signing a centre-half yet? Losing two in one season is far from ideal and I'd say Van Gaal will want at least one world class defender ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

We wont need the same squad size or anything near it. How many from . Rvp/ roo./her/wel/young/nani/kagawa./mata/jan/zaha/val/clev/fletch/car/ander/. Will be here next yr starting regular league games. There will be a huge clear out . And i cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Daniel Taylor said in the Republik of Mancunia's end of season review that Cesc Fabregas's camp have again told United that he wants to join the club. However, neither Fabregas nor Barca want to express it publicly. He described it as "a staring contest" where last season "nobody blinked". Also mentions the main issue for United is whether, after last year, they can trust what they say.

Would be an amazing signing and a lovely way to annoy some of my Arsenal friends, but considering they reportedly have a first refusal clause and the fact that they're in the CL and we're not, seems like a massive pipe-dream.

Edit: typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Daniel Taylor said in the Republik of Mancunia's end of season review that Cesc Fabregas's camp have again told United that he wants to join the club. However, neither Fabregas nor Barca want to express it publicly. He described it as "a staring content" where last season "nobody blinked". Also mentions the main issue for United is whether, after last year, they can trust what they say.

Would be an amazing signing and a lovely way to annoy some of my Arsenal friends, but considering they reportedly have a first refusal clause and the fact that they're in the CL and we're not, seems like a massive pipe-dream.

If Fabregas is available he is going to Arsenal.

It is a pipe dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

It is a pipe dream.

Or nightmare. He's not been very good at Barca.

• Advertisement

In case anyone missed it, there was also a link in the article I linked earlier that would lead you to some stuff on LVG's 442 formation at AZ, I can't say I watched too much of it so will read up on that

What other areas LB and CM are a priority, I don't believe we have much of a budget, LVG will have funds to sign every player he wants within reason .

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

It is a pipe dream.

Don't think anything is set in stone, Arsenal have priorities and CM it's not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Yaya apparently wants out of Citeh, cheeky bid would be sweet.

Yeah read that. Then I read the reason.

Nobody at the club wished him Happy Birthday...

Silly season indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Or we could just not waste any time or thought on it cause its a waste of everyones time.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Or we could just not waste any time or thought on it cause its a waste of everyones time.

Why not though?

The argument of "we shouldnt waste our time" stands for the likes of CR7 or Messi but as far as Id be concerned pretty much everyone else is fair game.

Yes, it would likely be a waste of time but he is currently based in Manchester and seemingly unsettled so why the hell not.

Why not though?

The argument of "we shouldnt waste our time" stands for the likes of CR7 or Messi but as far as Id be concerned pretty much everyone else is fair game.

Yes, it would likely be a waste of time but he is currently based in Manchester and seemingly unsettled so why the hell not.

The Daily Fail says he's unsettled as the club didn't wish him Happy Birthday. How credible do you think it is he'd want to leave the club because of that?

Na

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Get it done Equaliser...
    I suggest these plane banner clowns get a plane going over his house wishing him a happy birthday
    When's the last time (or have we ever) we had 20 goal a season midfield??? CR7 was a winger/attacking not a central midfielder ala yaya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully a deal for Shaw and maybe someone else can be done in coming days or even week to 10 days.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The Daily Fail says he's unsettled as the club didn't wish him Happy Birthday. How credible do you think it is he'd want to leave the club because of that?

It's more than that in fairness. His agent allegedly gave an interview that said he (Yaya) felt unappreciated at the club and something to the effect that if he was at a club like Liverpool and was the main reason for them winning the league like he was at City this year he would be a legend, he just isn't feeling the love the poor little lamb!

:pac:

Look, I do realise it's as unlikely a transfer as any but we as a club should be setting our sights on the best there is out there and personally I'd consider him to be right up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yaya is not leaving city and absolutely definitely not leaving for an English rival - I just have a feeling about Cesc for some unknown reason, I just don't think Arsenal will spend that type of money on a player they basically don't need and Barca/the player know fully well that we are interested. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was lining out for us come August.

Hopefully a deal for Shaw and maybe someone else can be done in coming days or even week to 10 days.

I'd like to see that done too Kew, I'm not going to hold my breath on it happening but you'd never know. I said yesterday everything was quiet in the twitterverse and 2 o'clock, boom its anounced ;) then 45 minutes later Giggs retires without any hint of an announcement being imminent on it. maybe the leaks have been plugged ;)
    More big transfer news today would have people salivating like dogs on a juicy bone.
    Bangkok was saying Kroos within a few days of the german cup final...could he finally get one right..
    You got the prediction right yesterday re LvG, so keep the mystic meg run going Kew..who's coming in and when

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yaya is not leaving city and absolutely definitely not leaving for an English rival - I just have a feeling about Cesc for some unknown reason, I just don't think Arsenal will spend that type of money on a player they basically don't need and Barca/the player know fully well that we are interested. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was lining out for us come August.

Feen, hows about a swap deal...Yaya for Rooney....could keep both clubs and supporters happy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

glued wrote: »
    Jonathon Wilson on Second Captains said that he wouldn't be surprised to see Ander Herrera come to United as he's very much a midfielder in the van Gaal mould. I have to say that I wasn't that impressed with him this year but Wilson knows his stuff.

Herrara was poor from September to November, but then turned his season around and was superb for them. he was pretty close to making the Spanish WC squad apparently. i know hindsight is great and all that, but id like to think that if we spend the extra €3 or €4 million on him as opposed to Fellaini, we may have had a more successful season as he is a very decent ball player and completely the opposite of what Fellaini offers - creativity and crisp, speedy ball movement.

the other side of course is that there is a feeling that he is just a step up from Tom Cleverly and that, considering the money needed

Iturraspe however would be the player id love to sign from them, was so impressed with him against us and kept an eye on him since then.....his value will have gone up now since being included in the Spanish WC 30. of course, Carvalho seems to be the player we have earmarked for that position and if we got him beside a Kroos or a Fabregas we'd be well sorted

Herrera did have a very good season, seemed to take a long time for him to get his head right again after the summer, understandably I guess, but he had a very good season after he settled again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kryogen wrote: »
    seemed to take a long time for him to get his head right again after the summer, understandably I guess,

I don't like hearing things like that though, the great players maintain their performance, we don't need players who play poorly when they have things on their mind. Having great mental strength is just as important for playing at Old Trafford as speed or skill.

I don't like hearing things like that though, the great players maintain their performance, we don't need players who play poorly when they have things on their mind. Having great mental strength is just as important for playing at Old Trafford as speed or skill.

Wayne Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

"He's very strict," De Boer, who played under Van Gaal for club and country, told BBC Radio 5 live.
    "When I was young, I was scared of him and feared him a bit."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement