Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• **** Robben. I hate him. Want him no-where near the club.
    There no denying his quality in fairness. I certainly wouldn't complain getting him at the peak of his career. Even just for 2 - 3 years.

He could aid in development of our younger talent like Adnan who still needs guidance, coupled with Van Gaal's instruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Rooney to Cm seems a logical move to accommodate Mata & Rvp

The logical move would be to sell Rooney and invest in some proper midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Anyone know if VanGaal done a presser today? Just heard there on the radio he told media that he has given Utd his transfer targets and who he wants out by the time he starts after the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I hate robben, I also hate Suarez but I would love if they both played for united...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Antibac wrote: »
    Anyone know if VanGaal done a presser today? Just heard there on the radio he told media that he has given Utd his transfer targets and who he wants out by the time he starts after the World Cup.
    Yesterday.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/25zmbf/transcript_of_van_gaal_interview_on_rtl_late/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There no denying his quality in fairness. I certainly wouldn't complain getting him at the peak of his career. Even just for 2 - 3 years.

He could aid in development of our younger talent like Adnan who still needs guidance, coupled with Van Gaal's instruction.

We already have one of the greatest ever wingers as assistant manager to guide adnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The team is severely lacking in leaders right now; we're in a position where we will need some holder heads with experience coming in, as well as youth for the future.

Robben would be a class player who the new manager knows well, would improve a position we're weak in and would be a name signing that would boost morale. He'd be a great short term signing, allowing the likes of Lawerence and Januzaj another year or two to mature, and learn from one of the best.

I hate, hate, HATE his smug face, but there's no denying he wouldn't be a brilliant signing for us.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWKHmVwxiyUq-L4iBzWU96rCMYVDBWBgqaD0bR92cqg3icq-f0

But Robben isn't a leader. He's not going to motivate others or drag us out of a hole. I really don't want him at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice to see LVG wanting the signings done asap,none of the 20 scouting missions & end up with Fellaini which happened last Summer."Dithering Dave" is no more.
    A good deal or two done early could save us tens of millions if players targeted have a good WC.Prices will skyrocket for those who shine in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

adox wrote: »
    That Giggs thread is ****ing awful.
    Gives a huge insight in to some posters, if it wasnt needed already.

Great indication of who to put on the ignore list!

The more I look at Van Gaal coming in and some of the young talent we have, it couldn't be more perfectly timed. In terms of youngsters that we have that he can nurture and improve, the majority of our squad is 26 and under. Our options coming from the youths and reserves have massive potential - Wilson had a brilliant season at underage, Henriquez is coming back from a spell at Zaragoza, Lingard looked excellent on loan at Brighton, Welbeck may be 23 but he's only had 2-3 seasons of first team football with United, Varela and Janko will have the chance to break into the squad next season too.

Whilst it is exciting to think of the transfers we're going to make, it's nearly more exciting to see how these guys progress in the coming seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't see Nani out as the certainty some others do, I could see him reinvigourated playing the 433 in the Robben position, from the right. Some are going to have to step up or adapt to fit his system, Rooney could find himself wide again.
    One or two also mentioned Kagawa for the door, doesn't LVG play a 'true number 10' as one of his midfield 3, alternating Sneijder and Van der vaart for Holland in the past? I could see a similar situation with Mata and Kagawa.

The box to box or all round dictating midfielder that he plays then would be a real big one for the market, a Cesc or Kroos would be ideal. Unpopular as it may be to say I could see LVG making a job of Cleverley in the this role as back up. This leaves the defensive midfield position, we'd have Carrick and Fellaini for this position, a new signing would be nice but not essential, particularly if Fellaini can find his feet.

We'll obviously need defenders, at least one top level centre half and a left back. I'd like a right back too.

I'm thinking we won't see quite as many signings as we all might think, alot of that is based on the shot in the arm some players may get from the new regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Antibac wrote: »

It'd make you wonder how long he has known he had the job if he has already formulated an opinion on say the United fringe players...I know managers keep their eye in with the talent about but he must have been watching United closely for quite a while if the above is to be believed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

is there?

the max we will take in this summer is about £20million and thats for Nani, Anderson and bebe...and thats even stretching it based on the numbers going around.

Macheda, Giggs, Rio, Vidic & Evra are all out of contract so not worth anything.

to hit £50million you'd need the likes of Hernandez, Young/Valencia and Kagawa leaving along with the players above.

Had a look at this situation myself and came up with something like this:

Out.
    Rio, Vidic & Patrice all equal £0 in funds but free up £240-260k a week in wages

Bebe, Fletcher & Young can be released with very little funds coming in (maybe £5M but to encourage bidders for Young low fees will have to be accepted as he is on monster wages) but another £180-190K a week freed up on wages.

Then if the supposed budget of £100-£150M is there then this could be spent on a few 'star' players and a few younger players.

IN
    For example
    Kroos -£35M & £200K a week wages
    Carvello £35M & £100K+ a week wages
    Hummels £20M & £100K a week wages
    Shaw £30M & £100k a week wages

These figures are open to debate but I reckon with about £120M spent and an extra £80K a week in wages suddenly the balanace of the squad is much healthier with 2 experienced first teamers and 2 youngsters with huge potential.

On top of this, the likes of Carrick, Nani, Welbeck, Chico & Cleverley are all players who have value and could well be sacrificed to make way for new players. Personally I would prefer to keep all except Cleverly but I can see merit if they are deemed surplus to requirements. Personally I feel they are all worth £3M-£10M each and earn at least £65K a week (Nani much more) so any other of these supposed stellar signings could be funded by selling these players and freeing up more wages.

I think a smaller squad is needed this season as domestic competitions are all we have to play for. This can help I feel.

It leaves money left over for even more 'dream' signings but wages will spiral costs and may mean trimming of even more squad players.

• We already have one of the greatest ever wingers as assistant manager to guide adnan.

I agree, but the more around him the better. He will get his chances, it may aid him to better himself in training in there is also added healthy competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    That Giggs thread is ****ing awful.
    Gives a huge insight in to some posters, if it wasnt needed already.

jaw to the floor stuff. Only catching that thread now.

Although in fairness will be the same from the flipside when there is the inevitble "Gerrard retires" thread, cause I know I wouldn't pull any punches in that.

Just goes to show the knowledge of some posters and their tribalistic views of rival clubs. To play at that level for that length of time is nothing short of unique and is testiment to his ability and dedication.

Every great player in the world has had nothing but praise for Giggs bar the bitter Keane who just can't get over United.

His various records and stats speak for themselves, anyone else can **** off imo. Even bringing his personal life into the equation is just nit picking to buck the trend, like who he stuck his dick in has any reflection of his status on the football pitch.

I don't hear people argueing against Messi being pumped full of drugs, that without them he never would have been a footballer.

Rubbish stuff to try go against the grain and succumb to that stupid tribal fan stuff I despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

yaya toure ‏@Toure_yaya42 2m

Everything dimitry said is true . He speaks for me . I will give an interview after world cup to explain

G'wan woody throw a bid in for auld Yaya..I'll bake him a cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ElChe32 wrote: »

Everything dimitry said is true . He speaks for me . I will give an interview after world cup to explain

Is that his real account???

If it is I`m off to twitter to wish him a belated happy birthday!!

• ElChe32 wrote: »

I would have a piece of that cake..what a sickener that would be for City :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would have a piece of that cake..what a sickener that would be for City :P

Yeah Miguel Delaney just retweeted it. SICKENER for city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

That Giggs thread isn't as bad as yer all making out. Its basically one poster flogging a dead horse trying to get a reaction, and failing miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Timmyctc wrote: »
    That Giggs thread isn't as bad as yer all making out. Its basically one poster flogging a dead horse trying to get a reaction, and failing miserably.

Just use it as a yardstick for what you're allowed to say/do in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Yaya is only doing a Rooney to get a better contract after a great year. Those Arabs will give him anything.

ElChe32 wrote: »

yaya knows Barcelona are lacking a midfielder of his stature, size etc and he is working a way to go back there.... barca also know they may need to sell one of fabregas sanchez pedro to fund one of many moves they will be making. would be great to see yaya go back to barca and cesc to come to Manchester UTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭paulbok

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd be off the contraversial opinion that Carrick is now surplus to requirements.

No, even if we sign Vidal, Kroos & Fabregas, he'd be needed as backup.

We can't replace half the team (potentially 5 1st team players coming) and not keep some experience/ backup like Carrick for a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Aenaes wrote: »
    What would you guys think if the club went in for Barry?

:eek::eek::eek:

paulbok wrote: »
    No, even if we sign Vidal, Kroos & Fabregas, he'd be needed as backup.

We can't replace half the team (potentially 5 1st team players coming) and not keep some experience/ backup like Carrick for a season.

I don't think he's an influential a figure as people make out. No one knows what happens behind closed doors, but I can't imagine he gives out or gets lippy with anyone, and I doubt he inspires any fire in the belly sort of stuff. Seems a very bland, boring individual.

Hasn't really transfered that "experience" onto the pitch or the team this year. Has looked ruffled and flustered plenty this season past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I might be misunderstanding you, but Van Persie is only 4 months older than Robben and was signed two years ago, so he was 1.5 years younger?

Fair enough on the age thing.

The fact he is contract though till 2017, his team don't want rid of him and he is a top player means we would have to pay big anyway. 30m to me would be about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

There's a video of the club presenting a birthday cake to Toure and sang happy birthday. He didn't even take off his headphones or look up from his laptop. They used social media to wish him happy birthday.
    What the f**k does he want? He's a 31yo not a f**king 10 year old.

He's always moaning about something.

March 2013 YAYA TOURE’S decision to quit Manchester City has nothing to do with money. It is about principle
    May 2012 City shocker as Yaya's agents invites offers from Barcelona, Chelsea and Bayern

Hopefully City don't pamper the f**ker any more because of it.
    He's making a bit of an effort to get back to Barcelona. If they don't take him he won't go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Used to always hate Robben over the years but saw a load of interviews with him randomly over the last two or three years and he actually comes across as an extremely likable, jocular, jovial chap.

There's an ongoing argument in my gaff over who we'd like to go on the piss with and Robben is close to the top of the list of soccer players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we got Robben cheap it would be a masterstroke, himself and Ribery are still pretty much in a league of their own when it comes to wingers and he still has a few years left I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just took a look at that Giggs thread, good grief talk about bitterness and vile in one thread.

i dont know why you lot bother entertaining these losers, you make them feel important by replying to them.

• Advertisement

just took a look at that Giggs thread, good grief talk about bitterness and vile in one thread.

i dont know why you lot bother entertaining these losers, you make them feel important by replying to them.

Yeah, can never figure out which I think is worse; people who are obviously looking for a reaction or the people who dedicate quite a bit of time falling for their tricks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

One of the greatest mysteries of Boards.ie for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

This is the reson I rarely post on the soccer forum. A few bad eggs ruin it for me. I still follow it but id rather talk about soccer in other forums off topic threads than here.

Whether its trolls, bitter rival fans or just argumentative type posters, the soccer forum isnt a place i like to have discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

beakerjoe wrote: »
    This is the reson I rarely post on the soccer forum.

its why 99% of my posts are on this thread, anything outside of United just is not worth the hassle.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    One of the greatest mysteries of Boards.ie for me.

It's nearly human nature to have the last say.

Ah,the old circlejerk of bile & bitterness.The more hateful the post,the more certain posters thank it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

its why 99% of my posts are on this thread, anything outside of United just is not worth the hassle.

And then you have that sig.

BoEwYcmIcAAX3q7.jpg
    @juanmata8
    Follow

What a pleasure it has been to play with them... Thanks for everything you've done for football and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote: »
    @juanmata8
    Follow

What a pleasure it has been to play with them... Thanks for everything you've done for football and good luck!

God above but Mata is an absolute class act altogether, so glad we got him.

next year he'll have his fingerprints all over the success of this team

I like to think Mata spent an hour this morning on photoshop creating that graphic :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

xabi wrote: »
    And then you have that sig.

Everyone at Shawshank is innocent

• brinty wrote: »
    God above but Mata is an absolute class act altogether, so glad we got him.

next year he'll have his fingerprints all over the success of this team

Such a refreshing attitude he has. I thoroughly enjoy his blog posts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Im not going to waste time looking at the giggs thread but could someone give me a rough idea as to what has been said. Im guessing stuff relating to his personal life

Hococop wrote: »
    Im not going to waste time looking at the giggs thread but could someone give me a rough idea as to what has been said. Im guessing stuff relating to his personal life

that's exactly it, had a brief look through... wouldn't even bother writing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

You guessed right.

Putting dick in wrong place = not good footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

BoEIgofIgAA8fEX.jpg

Looking forward to hopefully a few world class signing coming in. It will be exciting over the summer with the transfer speculation on who is coming in and leaving.
    I'm happy with LVG and RG taking the club forward. For me Champions League qualification, a good run in the FA and League Cups plus one or two younger players coming thru is realistic.

Was more encapsulated by the above with how many stars we have had in that time, my word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Giggs thread is a great laugh, join us

Celebrating the great mans career and watching Liverpool fans make fools of themselves in one thread

• Advertisement

• The Giggs thread is a great laugh, join us

Celebrating the great mans career and watching Liverpool fans make fools of themselves in one thread

It is actually :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement