Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Question\Help

Options
  • 06-05-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I have started back in the pool and trying to do some drills (as this is what we are supposed to do :rolleyes:)

so trying the single arm drill, with the unused arm in front of me all is fine, however if I place it by my side to do the UNCO, my body sinks, so to breath I have to lift it out of the water as opposed to simply turning.

Is this normal, am I doing the drill wrong, or something else.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BennyMul wrote: »
    I have started back in the pool and trying to do some drills (as this is what we are supposed to do :rolleyes:)

so trying the single arm drill, with the unused arm in front of me all is fine, however if I place it by my side to do the UNCO, my body sinks, so to breath I have to lift it out of the water as opposed to simply turning.

thanks.

Whats UNCO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

tunney wrote: »
    Whats UNCO?
    :o sorry

uncoordinated - coined by the Aussies

http://www.swimsmooth.com/unco-drill.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGJGHbUgIfQ

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

can you try it with fins, so you have momentum for when you turn to breath

I'm guessing you have no propulsion from your kick so when your forward motion stops from the arm pull it feels like you are sinking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

thanks.

Leave the non stroking arm out in front, watch the body position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

thanks.

You wearing fins for this?

With the warning that I have nothing other than my own experience to base this on and you should probably ignore.........but if it were me I'd concentate first on some of the drills to help with body position and balance (chest lean type of stuff). Once you have a feel for this the UNCO *should* get easier.

• Advertisement

thanks all,
    redved wrote: »
    can you try it with fins, so you have momentum for when you turn to breath

I'm guessing you have no propulsion from your kick so when your forward motion stops from the arm pull it feels like you are sinking
    thanks, I was using fins, or else I would drown :o
    It appears ok when non stroke arm was in front, I will get someone to look at it and tell me for sure
    griffin100 wrote: »
    You wearing fins for this?

With the warning that I have nothing other than my own experience to base this on and you should probably ignore.........but if it were me I'd concentate first on some of the drills to help with body position and balance (chest lean type of stuff). Once you have a feel for this the UNCO *should* get easier.

Thanks, points taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Might get a little rotation benefit and the focus on what the moving arm is doing particularly front end. However the dead side gives this a catch up feel and I find it doesn't address dead spots effectively

The unco is better as it keeps the other shoulder in play to establish roll and rhythm. Cuts out an arm only instead of half the body. Its a fluid but more difficult drill and you cannot get away without a balanced too, rhythm and continuous stroke. Tough drill though and I'd use fins to get used to it initially.

Another drill I copied from the high performance kids to work on roll and balance is to swim fc but after the finish of the stroke, touch the water on the opposite side of your lower back before the next stroke, repeat every stroke. I find it encourages a good roll and stretches out the lead shoulder giving the stroke real length

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Another drill I copied from the high performance kids to work on roll and balance is to swim fc but after the finish of the stroke, touch the water on the opposite side of your lower back before the next stroke, repeat every stroke. I find it encourages a good roll and stretches out the lead shoulder giving the stroke real length

Any chance you could search out a youtube vid of this?(if one exists) Can not visualise this at all.

Or draw it in MS Paint :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We used to do that as a two part drill called ssts. Side sweep (I think) for 25 and touch shoulder for 25. On the ss part you sweep your arm around your back as if you are trying to reach across yourself at the end of the stroke. Its an exaggerated move that causes big rotation. Touch shoulder is exactly that. Tip your fingers off your shoulder during recovey before entry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Makes more sense when partnered with shoulder touch. Think we've done that before alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    We used to do that as a two part drill called ssts. Side sweep (I think) for 25 and touch shoulder for 25. On the ss part you sweep your arm around your back as if you are trying to reach across yourself at the end of the stroke. Its an exaggerated move that causes big rotation. Touch shoulder is exactly that. Tip your fingers off your shoulder during recovey before entry.
    Ah yes that's the one thanks :). Its a good drill because when you go from swim to drill to swim mode you feel a difference straight away, 1 or 2 strokes less per length!

@BM - hop in with the Tri gang to get back to fitness quickly. You could always do your own drills first and hop in for the main set focusing on whatever technical aspect throughout

@BM - hop in with the Tri gang to get back to fitness quickly. You could always do your own drills first and hop in for the main set focusing on whatever technical aspect throughout

I will be once the kids are finished school, at the moment I start that run at 8, so would only get the warmup done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

I will be once the kids are finished school, at the moment I start that run at 8, so would only get the warmup done :(

Join me at 6.30 in planet health and you'd get back for the smallies in time:)

Advertisement