Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow loading site

Options
  • 06-05-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to diagnose a website which is loading very slowly. However I'm having an odd problem where some resources (e.g. Javascript, images, CSS, etc.) take a very long time to load.

Any search I've done just turns up tips on how to compress images, minify javascript, etc. However it doesn't really touch on what I'm experiencing.

My images and Javascript are small (all < 100k, many less than 20k), however every time I load a page, one or two of them at random seem to take several seconds to load. I've seen a <1kb image take 3 seconds to load or a 50K .js file take 7 seconds. But then I reload the page (Cache refresh) and the same image or script will load in a matter of miliseconds but another one will load very slowly.

The server is Apache2 on Ubuntu. My first thought was that there is a limited number of connections allowed at a time but I can't find where that would be set in the apache.conf file.

There is approximately 30 requests between images, scripts, css files which IMHO is fairly low by modern standards...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Have you tried firing http://www.webpagetest.org/ at it and going through the longer items in the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Are you hosting your images and JavaScript on the same domain as each other? Also are they being served off the same domain as the website?

Browsers can limit the number of concurrent connections per domain.

Have you tried using the 'Network' tools in Developer Tools / Firebug to analyze whether this delay is Time to First Byte (TTFB) or not? It should also should you how many concurrent connections are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'm a fan of YSlow for diagnosing page load times.

https://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

Both the tool itself and the explanation of best practice and rules are very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

irishbuzz wrote: »

Have you tried using the 'Network' tools in Developer Tools / Firebug to analyze whether this delay is Time to First Byte (TTFB) or not? It should also should you how many concurrent connections are allowed.

This, firebug will tell you exactly how long each file takes to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Is this on a shared server and someone else hogging the resources? Or even on your own dedi and other sites draining.

Hard to see how a few kbs will cause serious issues without some external factor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement