Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have 50mm prime and wondering what to buy next?

• 06-05-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I have a 40d and I find the 50mm isn't wide enough sometimes when I don't have the room to step back in a room to fit a large amount into the frame for example.

I'm not sure about zoom lenses - is there anything more to them than convenience? Why not just walk closer or step back?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭scuba8

Depending on budget I would recommend a 17-55mm 2.8 is usm. It has excellent sharpness equivalent to L class lenses.
    At a lesser price a Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II [EOS. I have the previous version and it is excellent.
    You could also consider used lenses which can be very cost effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I’ve been using a Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II for the last few months and I really like it. Very sharp and the 2.8 aperture is extremely useful. Plus it also fitted nicely into my budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8? No idea if it's in budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

euser1984 wrote: »
    I have a 40d and I find the 50mm isn't wide enough sometimes when I don't have the room to step back in a room to fit a large amount into the frame for example.

I'm not sure about zoom lenses - is there anything more to them than convenience? Why not just walk closer or step back?

Thanks.

You answered your own question there!!!

The Canon, Sigma and Tamron 17-55 (ish) lenses will give you a lot more versatility. If you can, the 2.8 versions are the ones to go for.
    Sometimes, as you've found, you just can't step back. Other times (landscapes etc) you'll want the wider view.

35mm 1.8 is another option but again you're not gaining an awful lot of versatility. Any shorter primes than that and you're really starting to enter 'big bobs' territory unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

When you say "big bob" go u mean the expensive stuff... Never hear that being used before.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Yip... and it's a term you'll get used to as you upgrade and add to your kit more and more !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Sigma 17-55 2.8 is way to go really good lens sharp and obviously cheaper than nikon or canon's

Advertisement