Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting

Options
  • 06-05-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just secured a full time job so I'm moving away from parents and looking at renting a property for the first time ever. What are the do's and do not's when renting for the first time? How do i best secure a property i like? What documentation must i furnish? Is the price per month generally set or open to negotiation. Any pitfalls / information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi

Most LL these days look for references, bank statements and sometimes actuall proof you have an account with said bank, proof of job and letter of proof with all company details.

If in Dublin the market has gone absolutely nuts and it is near impossible to get anything.

You can try and negotiate but that has gotten very difficult as most of the time what is asked is been bid even higher because of the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

This will be a bit quick as I'm posting from work:

Equitable house-share - word doc on how to equally divide rent & a excel sheet on how to divide bills equally. if your sharing DON'T be caught to have the bills in your name, if the others move out your stuck paying their share of the bills.

Boards.ie guide to renting

If your thinking of renting a room where the owner lives in the house rather than a normal rental - thread here, links in post #34

Links to a post about housing minimum standards

Make sure you read the lease and see if it is a FIXED TERM - start and end dates or Part 4 - no end date. It makes a hell of a difference to you because you can be evicted with minimum notice on Part 4, whereas on a fixed term lease you'll have to create havoc to be evicted before the lease ends.

Tell the LL/Agent you want to be registered with the PRTB - the governing body for rentals in Ireland, if they get shifty walk away, they are PROBABLY dodgy, it's not a guarantee but it's a bad sign

Take photos of everything when you move in/view the house. Get the LL/Agent in some of them if you can, it proves the photos were taken at the stasrt of the tenancy and they knew about them, any arguments at the end of the tenancy and you have proof if the damage was created before you moved in.

DON'T accept any damaged goods/items. If you sign the lease then your accepting them in teh condition they are. If they won't fix it before you move in insist it is added to lease appendices that x,y & Z items are damaged and will be fixed.

Advertisement