Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed work - Bike

Options
  • 06-05-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Its getting closer to race time, so i'm just wondering what sort of sessions people do on the bike to improve that bit of speed now that the endurance is hopefully there.

Also, do most stick with the turbo even as weather/light improves ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

As much on the road as possible and plenty of interval sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    Its getting closer to race time, so i'm just wondering what sort of sessions people do on the bike to improve that bit of speed now that the endurance is hopefully there.

Also, do most stick with the turbo even as weather/light improves ??

Probably should be doing speed work all year......

On the turbo as hard efforts on open roads too dangerous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have 3 bike sessions in a week

Long bike - outside all year round if weather is anyway permitting, turbo if not
    Easy ride - turbo in winter, outside for summer
    over threshold/interval session - turbo all year around, these hurt too much to be trying to think about your surroundings, plus better effort at keeping the intensity steady on the turbo

any extra bike sessions are outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

mossym wrote: »
    have 3 bike sessions in a week

Long bike - outside all year round if weather is anyway permitting, turbo if not
    Easy ride - turbo in winter, outside for summer
    over threshold/interval session - turbo all year around, these hurt too much to be trying to think about your surroundings, plus better effort at keeping the intensity steady on the turbo

any extra bike sessions are outside

yeah would be similarish to what i have been doing.
    standard interval/pyramind turbo session for the threshold one ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

miller82 wrote: »
    yeah would be similarish to what i have been doing.
    standard interval/pyramind turbo session for the threshold one ?

usually some cadence work, so builds, then something like 4*x or 3*x over threshold. enough to make the legs burn and the body shake by the end:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

miller82, do you have any local cyclists to train with, or local races to jump into,
    these will help with speed work.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

tunney wrote: »

On the turbo as hard efforts on open roads too dangerous.

:rolleyes:

Sugarloaf - Roundwood or towards Embankment - Balintglass are perfect for long TT pieces. Embankement-Blessintgon-Balintinglass is my preference.

Taylors -3rock masts for anything from short hard reps to long threshold / big gear work.

Agree with tunney, intensity should be all year around, session this time of year for me would depend on you target race. Short races, shorter pieces (eg 5x5@ 120% FTP or tabata session), long race, longer pieces (3x20@92-95% FTP).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

BennyMul wrote: »
    miller82, do you have any local cyclists to train with, or local races to jump into,
    these will help with speed work.

theres a few cycling clubs in the area. was going to go down that road earlier in the year, but cant see myself doing it now

Advertisement