Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going crazy waiting on answer from seller!

Options
  • 06-05-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys,
    I have been house hunting since before Christmas, and have been losing patience with it. I have found that when you place a bid on a house (even if it is asking price) I have been left waiting for weeks without any word. I am looking in north Leinster. Estate agents tell me things like " oh, they want to leave it a while to think about it, I'll call you if I hear anything", then they never call! I currently am waiting a fortnight to hear back on one property in my area, and it is so frustrating because I feel like I am missing out on other properties while I wait! Has anyone else experienced the same? Should I be ringing my estate agent to let him know I'm getting impatient or will that just seem too keen? Just fed up at this stage as I have no patience and am finding this very stressful and Im finding it hard to think about much else, just want to get something sorted!! Sorry for the rant, maybe I'm being extremely childish about this, just not sure how best to deal with estate agents, how to play 'the game'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

It can be very frustrating all right. I have found in the past that these stalling tactics are usually done by the estate agents often without the knowledge of the seller in the hope of getting a counter offer. I think it would be in your best interest to ring the estate agents or go to them in person and deliver an ultimatum that unless you hear an answer within X amount of days you will withdraw your offer, see how fast they move then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Locoladee

Thanks, it's something I've been considering to be honest. I just can't believe how stressful it is, getting the mortgage part was a breeze but my bank have an offer of one year's free mortgage protection, home insurance and valuation if I draw down before 30th June but it's looking like I will lose this deal now with all this waiting around, have already waited around for a month on one house only for the seller to withdraw it from the market, it's so frustrating!

Thanks, it's something I've been considering to be honest. I just can't believe how stressful it is, getting the mortgage part was a breeze but my bank have an offer of one year's free mortgage protection, home insurance and valuation if I draw down before 30th June but it's looking like I will lose this deal now with all this waiting around, have already waited around for a month on one house only for the seller to withdraw it from the market, it's so frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Keep the pressure on them and dont let them give you the run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

I've been waiting x amount of days for an answer and have now decided to bid on a different property due to the delay. my offer stands untill someone else accepts it.
    Thanks for your time

Do not contact the agent again untill they contact u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The seller/EA are trying to use your offer to kick start some bids. I would be inclined to ring and put a time limit on the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pop into the neighbours and check if anyone has a contact number of the owners. Then ring the owners and ask when they'd be giving you an answer to your bid. As said above, the EA could be playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

What's annoying for us is that the house is owned by one of the banks and the estate agent is cagey at best about giving up any details, constantly being told we'll get called back and it's always us making the calls not the other way around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Best way to be sure that you get the house is to make it rain

make-it-rain-guys.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Ring back and offer 10 grand less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

I'm in a similar position and its driving me nuts! We've given the EA until the end of the week to accept our offer but I can see him fobbing us off on Friday.

Are there any other bidders on the house Locoladee? They maybe just playing for time & for other offers to come in. i.e. you are keeping the price higher for them and they are looking for more money & using your offer to get it.

I guess your approach depends on the house - How nice is the house? are there similar houses nearby? Is it in a sought after area? How desperately do you want it?

Whats the position of the sellers? Do they need to move urgently or could they hang on for a better offer?

It does sound a bit like your (and my) sellers are holding off for a better offer.

Hi guys, good news!Got a call yesterday to say the house was mine, over the moon so hopefully all goes smoothly now, time to start the next waiting game, waiting for solicitors&contracts&blah blah blah!!!!really pleased though, don't lose hope everyone! I was lucky, was buying in a quiet enough village area, not as sought after as the towns would be, there were no other bidders as far as Im aware. Thanks for all the advice!

Hi guys, good news!Got a call yesterday to say the house was mine, over the moon so hopefully all goes smoothly now, time to start the next waiting game, waiting for solicitors&contracts&blah blah blah!!!!really pleased though, don't lose hope everyone! I was lucky, was buying in a quiet enough village area, not as sought after as the towns would be, there were no other bidders as far as Im aware. Thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Congrats Locoladee! Thats great news! Fingers crossed we will have good news too this week (although I'm guessing we won't!!). Good luck with all the formalities!

Advertisement