Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane O'Callaghan - First hour free parking in Douglas

Options
  • 06-05-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how realistic his election promise is? Got hit with a fine the other week, my own fault but I had only popped into Xtra-Vision for two minutes.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The most vote grabbing blatantly local specific promise I've ever seen. Would seriously put me off considering him if I lived in the county.

The first 20 minutes is only 20c now anyway, just a token amount which would cover the majority of 'just popping-in' trips. You'd spend more on fuel just getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TheChizler wrote: »
    The most vote grabbing blatantly local specific promise I've ever seen. Would seriously put me off considering him if I lived in the county.

Well in fairness it is a LOCAL election so I would think local issues are important in this case. If it was someone running for TD promising this I would have a problem with it or if a local election candidate said he would try to get water charges eliminated or reduce the national debt then that would also be a problem.

Also he is not the only one promising this first hour free. Boyle also mentioned it in his flyer.

This is true. I suppose I see it as one TINY (by comparison) issue that is likely to come up in maybe one or two of the council meetings in the several year term. I think it gives the impression that he's not about improving the council or contributing to it as his primary objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

But how realistic is it that one person can achieve this change....I'd be wary of voting for someone on an issue that may require a majority.

Andip wrote: »
    But how realistic is it that one person can achieve this change....I'd be wary of voting for someone on an issue that may require a majority.
    Exactly, he can't promise the vote of other councillors, which he is essentially doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

:confused: Ok who is having a laugh here???? Believing what a politician who wants to be elected, says? Seriously like? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

kub wrote: »
    :confused: Ok who is having a laugh here???? Believing what a politician who wants to be elected, says? Seriously like? :rolleyes:

I was asking what is the likelihood that he will be able get this motion to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Funny how he doesn't even mention the issue on his priorities page on website:

http://shaneocallaghan.ie/wp/?page_id=8

Realistically though, they will all promise this if asked and promise to lower property tax, lower water rates etc etc etc.

Honestly have no idea who to vote for this time round. Will pick least offensive independent again probably .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

He can propose as many motions as he likes; they won't be passed unless the majority of councillors vote with him. If a politician came to my door and promised to call back to me in three months if he got elected to hear what issues I might have, then he/she would get my vote.
    They are well able to move around their constituency when it comes to canvassing, but once they're in they put the onus on the electorate to come to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

mordeith wrote: »
    They are well able to move around their constituency when it comes to canvassing, but once they're in they put the onus on the electorate to come to them.

Of course they do, that's the whole point of the system!

If you feel strongly about an issue, then the idea is you contact your local councillor. Most of them work full time jobs as well - to expect to come knocking on thousands of doors to be told by 95% people that "eh, nothing that I can think of..." Is a bit mad.

• Advertisement

Of course they do, that's the whole point of the system!

If you feel strongly about an issue, then the idea is you contact your local councillor. Most of them work full time jobs as well - to expect to come knocking on thousands of doors to be told by 95% people that "eh, nothing that I can think of..." Is a bit mad.

Jeez, if 95% of the people don't have any issues then what's with all the griping all over the forums? All I'm saying is it'd be nice to see an elected representative make some kind of effort to communicate. They don't have to go around to every door, but how about once or twice a month have a mobile clinic or do a quick call around to certain areas. I think word would get out and people would say 'well at least he/she is making an effort'. I mean at the moment nobody has anything good to say abouy any politican as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

mordeith wrote: »
    Jeez, if 95% of the people don't have any issues then what's with all the griping all over the forums? All I'm saying is it'd be nice to see an elected representative make some kind of effort to communicate. They don't have to go around to every door, but how about once or twice a month have a mobile clinic or do a quick call around to certain areas. I think word would get out and people would say 'well at least he/she is making an effort'. I mean at the moment nobody has anything good to say abouy any politican as far as I can see.

i don't know where you are but one local counsellor here gives us a newsletter ever 3-6 months with updates of the work they are doing in the area, also has an office in the local town that you can call into, ring or email with any issues you have, i wouldn't expect them to do more than that to be honest, he's making himself available as much as he can which is more than the rest do. And considering when i needed help with something he was the only one who not only got back to me but helped me too to the best of his ability.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i don't know where you are but one local counsellor here gives us a newsletter ever 3-6 months with updates of the work they are doing in the area, also has an office in the local town that you can call into, ring or email with any issues you have, i wouldn't expect them to do more than that to be honest, he's making himself available as much as he can which is more than the rest do. And considering when i needed help with something he was the only one who not only got back to me but helped me too to the best of his ability.

That's the kind of thing I'd be talking about. Some communication from the councillors. I suppose the problem I have is that I live in a village in between two towns so councillors are mainly concerned with the town(s) itself. Of course with the abolition of the councils it'll be interesting to see how the elected councillors deal with the new broader geographical areas.

Advertisement