Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism - Noise Sensitivity and Noise reducing/cancelling Headphones

Options
  • 06-05-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi -
    does anyone here have experience of either Noise Reducing or Noise Cancelling Headphones for a child with Autism?

We are going to an event in the next few weeks which I expect will be very, very loud (1D in Croke Park) and we want to be prepared .. i don't know which might be the best headphones to use for a child with sensory issues with noise.
    Yeah, I know, I know ... don't bring him, but he really really wants to go ... almost as if he is testing himself, to see if he can tolerate it.

We tried the noise-reducing h/phones before in Croke park and they were not much use - but that was a few years ago and his sensory stuff has changed over time. These are just the ones that block out the noise, I think.
    The noise-cancelling ones have a battery powered device to cancel out certain noises but I read that these are not so effective for high-pitched, shrieking noises ... noises thta i expect will be at the 1D concert. I don't want to spend €50 on something that won't work for him.

Apologies for long post - any feedback much appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WarOnDrugs78

holly8 wrote: »
    Hi -
    does anyone here have experience of either Noise Reducing or Noise Cancelling Headphones for a child with Autism?

We are going to an event in the next few weeks which I expect will be very, very loud (1D in Croke Park) and we want to be prepared .. i don't know which might be the best headphones to use for a child with sensory issues with noise.
    Yeah, I know, I know ... don't bring him, but he really really wants to go ... almost as if he is testing himself, to see if he can tolerate it.

We tried the noise-reducing h/phones before in Croke park and they were not much use - but that was a few years ago and his sensory stuff has changed over time. These are just the ones that block out the noise, I think.
    The noise-cancelling ones have a battery powered device to cancel out certain noises but I read that these are not so effective for high-pitched, shrieking noises ... noises thta i expect will be at the 1D concert. I don't want to spend €50 on something that won't work for him.

Apologies for long post - any feedback much appreciated - thanks!

Hello

Look up "Bose AE2 headphones" on amazon.co.uk. I use these headphones at work. I use them in a noisy environment and they definitely take the edge off the noise of metal cages screeching. They aren't the Noise Cancelling headphones by Bose, which are a lot more expensive at about 350 last time I checked. Hope this helps.

Advertisement