Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-wiring and decorating house

Options
  • 06-05-2014 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello
    I recently viewed a house and am considering whether to make an offer. The estate agent was forthright in stating that the house needs to be rewired.

I know this is a major job, and is costly, but am not sure how much it would cost?

How much does it cost to rewire a house? And then to paint and decorate?

Thanks
    Ruth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Between 2 and 4 thousand depending on the size of the property and what electricals you want done.

Paint id say between 2 and 3.5 thousand. Again, it very much depends on the size of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

Victor

How long is an elastic band?

To help people:
    How many lights?
    How many sockets?
    How many other electrical points?
    Do electrical fittings need to be replaced?
    Will floor boards, etc. need to be lifted for the re-wiring?
    Do you want alarms (burglar, fire, etc.) fitted?

How many rooms and what floor area is the house?
    Do you want new paint on top of existing paint, or is there wallpaper, etc.?
    Are the ceilings particularly high?
    Do you want all be wood work painted?
    Do you care what type or brand of paint you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

You also may need to chase walls, ceilings, lift floors so the impact will be well inexcess of simply repainting

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

coolemon wrote: »
    Between 2 and 4 thousand depending on the size of the property and what electricals you want done.

To wire a house?
    This is the equivalent to saying that a car would cost between €2,000 and €4,000

OP as Victor has suggested far more information would be required provide you with a reasonable quotation.

It would want to be a very small home with very basic requirements to cost €2,000.

My advice would be to get a registered electrical contractor to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ruthlessbich

Folks,

Many thanks for the responses. Here are the details

Front Reception Room 14.2ft x 13.8ft
    Kitchen/Dining Room 20.5ft x 17.10ft
    Front Bedroom 13.9ft x 11.2ft
    Back Bedroom 13.11ft x 10.10ft
    Box Bedroom 9.2ft x 9ft
    Family Bathroom 7.8ft x 5.8ft

Thanks
    Ruth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ruth did you read victors list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I Price work for electrical contractors and the average 3 bed semi D house using MK fittings is about €4500 with one or two new chases for extra sockets. This assumes re-use of nothing and an alarm system.

The work to repair the damage to the house after is entirely your own on top of this and this literally could entail replacing all your floor finishes and wall finishes. Don't forget OP that several trades are involved including a plasterer!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cronin_j wrote: »
    I Price work for electrical contractors and the average 3 bed semi D house using MK fittings is about €4500 with one or two new chases for extra sockets.

As you have stated that this includes "one or two new chases" I take it that your intention is to reuse the existing chases. Is this correct?

Speaking from personal experience this is often impossible, for the following reasons:

1) The chases are not wide enough as the existing cables are smaller.
    2) The regulation for the height of light switches has changed since the house was last wired.
    3) The chases are in the wrong places.
    4) The chases for sockets do not exist as the sockets are mounted on skirting boards (against current regulations).
    5) The regulation height for the distribution board has changed.

Would it cost more if none of the chases are usable?
    Or if the walls were all mass concrete (as some council houses are)?

Does €4,500 include VAT?
    I assume it does as the OP has not provided any information to suggest that reclaiming the VAT is possible.
    Of course from the electrical contractors perspective €4,500 is really €3,982 (as Revenue will be paid the balance in VAT).

Please confirm that this this price would include the following items that are frequently/always part of a rewire such as this:

1) Outside lights, front & back
    2) 4 no. mains smoke/heat detectors with battery backup as is typically a requirement
    4) Extract fans in the bathrooms.
    5) Time clock, stats, and zone valves for the central heating system.
    6) Separate RCBO for bathroom lighting circuits.
    7) Separate RCBO for instantaneous shower (wired in 6 or 10sq. T & E)
    8) Cooker circuit (wired in 6 or 10sq. T & E)
    9) Satellite cabling installed & wired to dish position suitable SKY+ or similar in sitting room and one other room.
    10) Mains door bell.
    11) Mains CO2 detector with battery backup.
    12) Supply of all light fittings including 4 no .down lighters in the kitchen.
    13) Supply and install earth rod and all bonding as per the regulations.
    14) ETCI certification of the above and full compliance with current applicable regulations (ET101:2008)
    This assumes re-use of nothing and an alarm system.

In relation to the wiring, supply and installation of an intruder alarm.
    Please confirm that the alarm has:

1) Inertia shock sensors on every downstairs window?
    2) Contacts on every window opening and external door?
    3) An external bellbox, internal sounder and at least one PIR?
    4) Is installed by a PSA registered installer and complies with EN50131?

The above would be considered basic minimum alarm requirements by most alarm installer professionals.

I would have expected the above alarm to cost in the region of €1,500 to wire, supply and install. It may be possible to get it for less if the customer agrees to sign up to a monitoring and maintenance contract (but they can be pricey). This only leaves €3,000 to wire the house. From the electrical contractor's perspective this is only €2,654 (as the rest is VAT that will have to be paid to revenue). In addition the proposed high spec MK fittings are at the more expensive end of the scale.

I have no doubt that some semi D homes could be wired for this price, but in reality the OP is likely to find the final costs are significantly different.
    It simply is not possible to provide a meaningful/helpful cost estimate from the sparse information provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

2011 wrote: »
    As you have stated that this includes "one or two new chases" I take it that your intention is to reuse the existing chases. Is this correct?

Speaking from personal experience this is often impossible, for the following reasons:

1) The chases are not wide enough as the existing cables are smaller.
    2) The regulation for the height of light switches has changed since the house was last wired.
    3) The chases are in the wrong places.
    4) The chases for sockets do not exist as the sockets are mounted on skirting boards (against current regulations).
    5) The regulation height for the distribution board has changed.

Would it cost more if none of the chases are usable?
    Or if the walls were all mass concrete (as some council houses are)?

Does €4,500 include VAT?
    I assume it does as the OP has not provided any information to suggest that reclaiming the VAT is possible.
    Of course from the electrical contractors perspective €4,500 is really €3,982 (as Revenue will be paid the balance in VAT).

Please confirm that this this price would include the following items that are frequently/always part of a rewire such as this:

1) Outside lights, front & back
    2) 4 no. mains smoke/heat detectors with battery backup as is typically a requirement
    4) Extract fans in the bathrooms.
    5) Time clock, stats, and zone valves for the central heating system.
    6) Separate RCBO for bathroom lighting circuits.
    7) Separate RCBO for instantaneous shower (wired in 6 or 10sq. T & E)
    8) Cooker circuit (wired in 6 or 10sq. T & E)
    9) Satellite cabling installed & wired to dish position suitable SKY+ or similar in sitting room and one other room.
    10) Mains door bell.
    11) Mains CO2 detector with battery backup.
    12) Supply of all light fittings including 4 no .down lighters in the kitchen.
    13) Supply and install earth rod and all bonding as per the regulations.
    14) ETCI certification of the above and full compliance with current applicable regulations (ET101:2008)

In relation to the wiring, supply and installation of an intruder alarm.
    Please confirm that the alarm has:

1) Inertia shock sensors on every downstairs window?
    2) Contacts on every window opening and external door?
    3) An external bellbox, internal sounder and at least one PIR?
    4) Is installed by a PSA registered installer and complies with EN50131?

The above would be considered basic minimum alarm requirements by most alarm installer professionals.

I would have expected the above alarm to cost in the region of €1,500 to wire, supply and install. It may be possible to get it for less if the customer agrees to sign up to a monitoring and maintenance contract (but they can be pricey). This only leaves €3,000 to wire the house. From the electrical contractor's perspective this is only €2,654 (as the rest is VAT that will have to be paid to revenue). In addition the proposed high spec MK fittings are at the more expensive end of the scale.

I have no doubt that some semi D homes could be wired for this price, but in reality the OP is likely to find the final costs are significantly different.
    It simply is not possible to provide a meaningful/helpful cost estimate from the sparse information provided.

Yes to all above. Not all your information here is relevant and I said average which means more often than not it will cost around €4500 ex Vat. I price ~5-6 jobs a month and bar some crazy spec from an architect or engineer this is what it costs.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Yes to all above. Not all your information here is relevant and I said average which means more often than not it will cost around €4500 ex Vat. I price ~5-6 jobs a month and bar some crazy spec from an architect or engineer this is what it costs.

So the customer will pay €5,085 (on average) even when none of the existing chases can be used. A good price for the description I have given. If I wanted a house wired I would send you a PM looking for a full quotation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement