Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the Spanish Inquisition records kept?

Options
  • 06-05-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where the Spanish Inquisition records are now kept? Have they been digitized and put online and if so where can I access them. If not, are they all in Madrid and where? Or are they scattered about Spain?

I'm doing my dissertation on it and need to actually find the archives but everywhere I look says something different. I am particularly interested in the inquisition in Seville and Valladolid if that helps.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Are you looking for the archives for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - in the Vatican

or the 'actual' Spanish Inquisition- "Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition"

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38354/38354-h/38354-h.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As Jawgap said; as well from what I remember of the era the El Escorial was a responsibility of numerous documents. The place was built somewhat after the main events of that period, but if it has an online library there might be relevant material there?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

Thanks for your help. It's the actual records that I am looking for. I know different regions had their own inquisitorial institutions as per locality during the inquisition, but I was wondering where the records are now kept. Have they all been collected and put in one place? That is, the records of the actual individuals who came before the inquisition.

Advertisement