Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit continuously failing, no sign of ever getting sorted

Options
  • 06-05-2014 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

In January we moved from Danske to PTSB with our current account. This account is also the feeder account for our BOI mortgage. Switcher team was supposed to take care of it but new DD details were also provided by ourselves on the correct form.

Since then without fail every single month we get the arrears letter and the usual phone calls about failed payment, but yet we know for sure the DD details are correct. Has to be correct as it has succeeded once or twice on the 2nd attempt. This was confirmed by BOI on subsequent phone call.
    The feeder account had at all times sufficient funds, multiples actually. At some stage we were overpaid 3 times since we had sent a cheque and all of a sudden the payment did go through with DD. We were left with no money over Paddys weekend due to this.

But without fail same story next month. Just today again as it happens.

At the start the fiancé got wicked upset since we take our mortgage (obviously) very seriously, but we are now at a stage where we're just fed up and beat.

It is obviously a systems issue but yet it seems impossible for BOI to get this sorted. They keep telling us on the phone calls how we must call PTSB and then do this that and the other thing, but quite frankly I fail to see how we have to do anything. We told the reps that multiple times and they acknowledge its a systems problem but no change.

It seems more an issue which appears to be typical of a large scale organisation. Left hand doesn't know (or care) what the right hand does. Never talking to the same person. The only 'memory' of a  customer interaction within such organisation seems to be through whatever comments are left on the account file. No personal interaction or responsibility. Just follow what the IT system dictates and show an 'its not my problem attitude'. I am now wondering will this ever get sorted.

Its now being treated between the missus and myself as some sort of joke. But I'm sure our frustration becomes clear in this writeup. Is this going to go on for the next ten years or is there any chance for it to clear ever?

thanks Bosko

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Boskowski,

Thanks for contacting us on here Boards. We are sorry to hear you have had such trouble with the processing of your mortgage Direct Debit. 

From reading your post, it sounds like your Direct Debit has been set up correctly as some payments have been taken. This would be something you would need to discuss with your current account provider as we would have no control over your bank returning a Direct Debit unpaid from your current account.

We are aware that since the introduction of the SEPA Direct Debit scheme, BOI mortgage payments are debited on the agreed date originally set up on the mandate. Whereas previously the payment would have been taken a day or two after this agreed date. This change would have been mentioned on your annual mortgage account statement in January. 

If there is anything further we can help you with please let us know. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hello Sarah

Thanks for your reply, but...

I'm wondering why would PTSB return the DD when there are funds in the account? It can be proven by statement history that sufficient funds were in the account at all times.

I will bring it up with permanent again but we verified on a previous occasion with PTSB and they said they have no record of the DD ever being presented so they obviously didn't refuse it.

Hence our assessment of it being a systems issue.

Edit: So now we are seemingly in a situation where both banks ping pong it back to each other and then to us claiming it's not their problem asking us to do x y and z, but how are we going to solve the problem? The only ones who can solve it are the banks.
    Since all the other DDs like Sky and insurance have no problem it's only logical to assume the problem is with you guys.

Regards

Boskowski

Hi Boskowski,

Thanks for your post.

To assist them further in investigating this it would be best to provide your bank with the dates that your mortgage was presented in the past and returned unpaid. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sarah

You're not listening to what I'm saying.

Sorry but this is just more of the same 'it's not our problem, you have to sort it'.
    But it's not and we've tried everything we can and no success. Short of hacking into your system and pulling your batch logs (which I obviously can't do just trying to make my point) what else can I do?

Like I said you're not listening. PTSB have no record if a DD being presented. Not at a given date or ever.

Surely you must have a procedure for opening an investigation a ticket with your system guys?

Regards

Boskowski

Hi Boskowski,

From your original post, my understanding was that some Direct Debits were paid some months and on other months it was not. As the originator of the Direct Debit, we can only present a Direct Debit based on the account information we would have on file. Your current account provider would be able to explain why this has not been the case in some instances. 

We would be happy to arrange for our Mortgage team to call you back regarding this. However as you say you have spoken to them previously regarding this, the advice they have to give you might not differ from what they have said in the past. If you would like a call back, please send a PM with your name and contact details and we will pass this on for you.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement

Hello Sarah

None if the DDs ever went through on first attempt. We then received letters and phone calls and we're asked to pay by card or cheque. On one occasion a couple of days after a cheque was drawn the DD did go through. Apparently on second attempt. That led to overpayment which then was returned.

So that confirms you must have the correct details in your system somewhere.

But only a week later the scheduled DD failed again. Again the feeder account had sufficient funds.

When we spoke to PTSB we were told no DD was presented speak to BOI. When we speak to BOI we are told the DD was returned speak to PTSB. We're stuck in a circle where both banks keep deflecting responsibilty and show inability or unwillingness to do anything about it.

I have no idea what to do anymore and quite frankly we're getting tired of it too.

We're beginning to think if we simply refuse to pay by cheque or card and let the mortgage go into arrears, maybe that will be incentive enough for BOI to actually try to figure out what's going on rather than continue to deflect. That and maybe write to the ombudsman over the stress this is causing.

Regards

Boskowski

Hi Boskowski,

We understand your frustrations in trying to resolve this. 

As mentioned previously, we would be happy to arrange our Mortgage Department to call you back. If you would like a call back, please send me on a PM with your name and contact details and we will arrange this for you. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thank you Sarah,

I will send you a PM

Thanks Sarah,

It would seem there may be a chance of this getting sorted now. Spoke to a colleague of yours and she confirmed there was a SEPA issue with mandate ref numbers on some accounts and a fix was applied to our records on May 2nd and that hopefully going forward all will be good.

Thx again

Bosko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Bosko,

Thanks for the update. Apologies for the amount of time it has taken to resolve this for you. If you should need help with anything in the future, please let us know.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
Advertisement