Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

What to wear on marathon day is a big topic. One worth revisiting when I'm not typing on the phone :)

Absolutely a good one for discussion. But one thing I would advise is that you all start wearing what you think you'll wear on the big day on the next few lsrs. Wear it again for the Half Marathon if you're doing one.
    From socks, jocks, knicks, bras, shorts, singlets, hairbands etc, practice wearing it all on the lsrs. Things might start to annoy you after 20 miles that don't annoy you on a shorter run. Seams on clothes might start to chafe you etc so practice practice practice wearing it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    Absolutely a good one for discussion. But one thing I would advise is that you all start wearing what you think you'll wear on the big day on the next few lsrs. Wear it again for the Half Marathon if you're doing one.
    From socks, jocks, knicks, bras, shorts, singlets, hairbands etc, practice wearing it all on the lsrs. Things might start to annoy you after 20 miles that don't annoy you on a shorter run. Seams on clothes might start to chafe you etc so practice practice practice wearing it all.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

martyoo wrote: »
    Where's good to get a sports massage? They sound nice :)

Where you based? Mayo? If Westport area is any use could put you in contact with one of my old college classmates who operates out that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

One essential item for race day is skin shield, this stuff is fantastic. No welts from clothes rubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@ aquinn. Well done on the run. When you change your garmin to miles in settings you must also change the autolap. Otherwise it will continue to lap at km even though your pace and distance are in miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Tigerandahalf, thank you. I had it in Km for Tuesday's race and wouldn't have checked the autolap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi everyone, happy Friday!

Short week with one less run due to my mixing around and swapping last weekend.

Monday: 8 mile pace. Probably not the best idea to do this after my lsr but it suited the best. Went well, enjoyed it.

Tuesday: squash

Wednesday: 5 mile easy. Easy pace but not the effort. Felt like a slog throughout.

Thursday: rest.

Friday: a repeat of last week's cut short 19 miles. Last week I bailed at 14 but not this week, 19 miles achieved! Kept the pace even slower than previous weeks as I didn't want to crash and burn like last time - consistently around 12 minute miles. Got to the stage where every time I looked at my watch the pace said the exact same thing - I was beginning to think I paused it or it broke but I obviously just got into a complete rhythm and kept it very consistent. Picked up the pace a bit for miles 16 and 17 and then did the last 2 at pmp. Aside from the last couple a bit, I didn't really feel put of breath or struggle with my breathing - was more the sore and tired legs that were causing any of the mental struggles and mind games. I suppose that's a result of tired and fatigued legs from the training. I know my paces aren't setting the world on fire but for me I'm delighted with how it went compared to last week. Light misty rain as well, helped stay cool, was a pretty good evening for it.

Best of luck to everyone doing their lsrs over the weekend, enjoy! Happy running.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Wednesday: 5 mile easy. Easy pace but not the effort. Felt like a slog throughout.

Friday: a repeat of last week's cut short 19 miles. Last week I bailed at 14 but not this week, 19 miles achieved! Kept the pace even slower than previous weeks as I didn't want to crash and burn like last time - consistently around 12 minute miles. Got to the stage where every time I looked at my watch the pace said the exact same thing - I was beginning to think I paused it or it broke but I obviously just got into a complete rhythm and kept it very consistent. Picked up the pace a bit for miles 16 and 17 and then did the last 2 at pmp. Aside from the last couple a bit, I didn't really feel put of breath or struggle with my breathing - was more the sore and tired legs that were causing any of the mental struggles and mind games. I suppose that's a result of tired and fatigued legs from the training. I know my paces aren't setting the world on fire but for me I'm delighted with how it went compared to last week. Light misty rain as well, helped stay cool, was a pretty good evening for it.

Best of luck to everyone doing their lsrs over the weekend, enjoy! Happy running.

Well done laura. That's some run to have under your belt. Fantastic that you could pick it up like that towards the end. Showed you really paced correctly. Delighted for you!
    Also, on the shorter easy runs, I wouldn't worry at all about pace, even if the watch says it's what should be easy pace, some days we're just extra tired and it takes more effort. You'd be better off ignoring the watch and just running at an easy effort.
    Great going:D sounds like you could have managed another 7.2 miles tonight if you had to;)

Well done laura. That's some run to have under your belt. Fantastic that you could pick it up like that towards the end. Showed you really paced correctly. Delighted for you!
    Also, on the shorter easy runs, I wouldn't worry at all about pace, even if the watch says it's what should be easy pace, some days we're just extra tired and it takes more effort. You'd be better off ignoring the watch and just running at an easy effort.
    Great going:D sounds like you could have managed another 7.2 miles tonight if you had to;)

Ha! I'm really not sure about that - you didn't see me shuffling home after :) but if someone had said it to me a few years ago I'd be doing 19 miles I'd have laughed so it's all one step at a time (literally!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Planned 20 mile lsr this morning cut short @ 4 miles :-( Totally gutted, right knee is still giving trouble & 2 miles in I knew it still wasnt right. Gave it another 2 miles but had to abondon as I knew it was doing more harm than good. Icing it now & hoping to get a physio app for today. Really think its a mix of increased mileage & worn our runner & nothing too serious but its been niggling all week so think its time to get it checked out. Im really worried about the Half & the fact that no lsr for this week as I felt I was making good progress but what can I do....just going off now to feel sorry for myself!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Need to get a new pair of shoes, got fitted In Amphibian king with Saucony Guide 7 which I'm delighted with now nearly 380 miles later I need a new pair I have found the same pair on Wiggle cheaper about 25 euro in the difference have many people done this would there be a difference with the shoe?

Would I be better off going back to get fitted again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mimojo wrote: »
    Planned 20 mile lsr this morning cut short @ 4 miles :-( Totally gutted, right knee is still giving trouble & 2 miles in I knew it still wasnt right. Gave it another 2 miles but had to abondon as I knew it was doing more harm than good. Icing it now & hoping to get a physio app for today. Really think its a mix of increased mileage & worn our runner & nothing too serious but its been niggling all week so think its time to get it checked out. Im really worried about the Half & the fact that no lsr for this week as I felt I was making good progress but what can I do....just going off now to feel sorry for myself!!!

sorry to hear that mimojo, hope you get sorted with physio soon - impressive early morning start tho!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I'm glad you said that about shorter runs. My last run was Thursday morning where I struggled through a pretty easy paced 5 mile.
    I was wondering how this was possible,but I suppose I was more tired than I thought. I had done 17 on Sunday,5 on Tuesday and 8 with last 5 at pmp on Wednesday night.
    It's just with all the training I'm doing I don't expect to struggle through a simple easy paced 5 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Need to get a new pair of shoes, got fitted In Amphibian king with Saucony Guide 7 which I'm delighted with now nearly 380 miles later I need a new pair I have found the same pair on Wiggle cheaper about 25 euro in the difference have many people done this would there be a difference with the shoe?

Economics lesson for today.

2 shops, side by side. Both shops sell mars bars. Shop 1 sells Mars bars for €1 each. Shop 2 sells Mars bars for €1.50 each.

In which shop do you buy your mars bar?

Also, you don't need to change your runners after 380 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Did my own LSR VERY slowly last night. Hated it. I've been feeling a bit run down with a bit of a cough for the last couple of days and I think it took more out of me than I thought. I was struggling on the very first mile even though I was running slower than I ever ran. Ridiculously slow, but it was taking everything out of me, right from the very start and I didn't think I'd get thru it all but I did in the end.

The legs are feeling tired this morning but the issues I have had all week seem to be gone :D I think it's the kind of thing that hasn't gone far though - so I'm still wary.

I don't think running thru drizzle and a couple of fairly heavy showers will have done my cough much good though!

SO all n all, 18.2 miles in 3:47:26 (12:30 pace)

As we always say, I definitely didn't have another 8 miles in me at the end - even at that pace. But running for nearly 4 hours on your own is so mentally difficult.

I tried the mixed Berry ViperBoost gels for the first time. By far the most pleasant flavor out of them.

This might be unusual cos I haven't seen anyone else say this yet. But I'm actually struggling a bit with the Lucozade Sport. I brought it diluted last night. I just hate the taste and I think it has a slightly unpleasant effect on me. I'd nearly rather take a gel than drink that piss....it even looks like piss!

And I have decided to definitely give next weekend's half marathon a miss. In my case, it would definitely be asking for trouble. A good long LSR it is for me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Did my own LSR VERY slowly last night. Hated it.

Good job on the LSR, you might have hated it but your running body will be all the better for it in the long run. Well done.

With regards to the Lucozade, that's what pre race training is for. You've tried the drink, didn't like it so leave it. Just because it's given out in DCM doesn't mean you have to drink it. With gels, jellies, water there's plenty of other options for nutrition to get you around.

I can't stand Lucozade sport, I find it sickly sweet and even more so when my mouth is so dry from running miles and miles on end.

Darren 83 wrote: »

Just giving my two cents here.
    There was a discussion recently about people buying the same pair of shoes online as they'd been fitted for previously and the new shoes not fitting correctly or not being as comfortable. Then again loads of people buy their shoes online with no bother.
    All I know is that when I go to get a new pair of shoes in AK they always make me try them on again just in case there is a slight variable in the new shoe.
    I'm sure you'd be fine though with the online ones. It's s good deal.

Btw I do think it's a great idea to have a second pair to rotate if finances allow.

Casey78 wrote: »
    I'm glad you said that about shorter runs. My last run was Thursday morning where I struggled through a pretty easy paced 5 mile.
    I was wondering how this was possible,but I suppose I was more tired than I thought. I had done 17 on Sunday,5 on Tuesday and 8 with last 5 at pmp on Wednesday night.
    It's just with all the training I'm doing I don't expect to struggle through a simple easy paced 5 miles.

Try the odd run not looking at the watch at all. It'll take some of the pressure off you and you'll feel more relaxed. It's not good to be under time/pace pressure on every run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Just giving my two cents here.
    There was a discussion recently about people buying the same pair of shoes online as they'd been fitted for previously and the new shoes not fitting correctly or not being as comfortable. Then again loads of people buy their shoes online with no bother.
    All I know is that when I go to get a new pair of shoes in AK they always make me try them on again just in case there is a slight variable in the new shoe.
    I'm sure you'd be fine though with the online ones. It's s good deal.

Btw I do think it's a great idea to have a second pair to rotate if finances allow.

The current shoes will have about 500 miles near DCM so need a few long runs in the new pair ad these will be more comfortable and will have better support on the day

Did my own LSR VERY slowly last night. Hated it. I've been feeling a bit run down with a bit of a cough for the last couple of days and I think it took more out of me than I thought. I was struggling on the very first mile even though I was running slower than I ever ran. Ridiculously slow, but it was taking everything out of me, right from the very start and I didn't think I'd get thru it all but I did in the end.

The legs are feeling tired this morning but the issues I have had all week seem to be gone :D I think it's the kind of thing that hasn't gone far though - so I'm still wary.

I don't think running thru drizzle and a couple of fairly heavy showers will have done my cough much good though!

As we always say, I definitely didn't have another 8 miles in me at the end - even at that pace. But running for nearly 4 hours on your own is so mentally difficult.

I tried the mixed Berry ViperBoost gels for the first time. By far the most pleasant flavor out of them.

This might be unusual cos I haven't seen anyone else say this yet. But I'm actually struggling a bit with the Lucozade Sport. I brought it diluted last night. I just hate the taste and I think it has a slightly unpleasant effect on me. I'd nearly rather take a gel than drink that piss....it even looks like piss!

And I have decided to definitely give next weekend's half marathon a miss. In my case, it would definitely be asking for trouble. A good long LSR it is for me then!

Well done for getting through it. Getting through that while mentally struggling is something that will stand to you for the big day. We all have a bad one now and again but you worked through it so fair play.
    The bit of a cold/cough undoubtedly had an effect on your run.
    Great that the legs held up well.
    As Killian said, don't force the drink if it's not suiting you. Play around with some more options over the next few lsrs.
    Mind yourself today!

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »

Same as myself though - that 5 mile isn't in isolation, it's off the back of different training. For me that was my 5th day of exercise (running and squash) in a row so I'm sure some of those sessions were still in the legs. As we're reminded lots rest and recovery is just as important for the body. And it was Thursday am for you after a tougher run Wednesday pm - not much time between them, only natural that some feel easier than others.

There's so many other factors that can affect how we feel combined with the training - one run can feel tough one week and the next can go really well. Good luck with the lsr this weekend.

Mimojo wrote: »
    Good call. Make sure to bring your runners to the physio. Let us know how it goes. Foam roll if you can.
    Don't stress about the half yet. It could be something simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Similar boat Laois_Man.
    My son's football is back today so I left the house early at 6:30 for a planned 20 mile run but just couldn't do it.
    Lasted 18.5 miles (with a bit of walking in mile 16 :()

Pace was all over the shop as usual but average was 11:30.

Took gels at 6, 12 & 16 miles - not sure if they made any difference but they didn't do any harm.

Don't know how I'm going to pull another 7.7 miles out of the bag even at that pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

ecoli wrote: »
    Where you based? Mayo? If Westport area is any use could put you in contact with one of my old college classmates who operates out that direction

I'm from there but up in Dublin now. Do you know anyone up this way? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Up early this morning, on the road at 7.30am for a 17 mile run. Went with a runny buddy again and I'd definitely recommend this as the 3 hours 10 mins just seemed to fly by. It's also is a good way of keeping an easy pace, if I can't talk then I know I'm going too fast.
    As others have mentioned, I don't know how I am going to do another 9 miles on top of this on the day but I guess I've just got to have faith in the plan.
    I'm still taking food and watered down Lucozade Sport and it seems to work for me. Maybe next year if I shoot for a sub 5 hour I'll switch to gels!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

LSR of 20 miles done, the plan called for "Easy/Steady Pace" and that came out at about 9:30m/m. It was tough, especially towards the end but it's done now and that's 3 20 milers in the bank.

adrian522 wrote: »
    LSR of 20 miles done, the plan called for "Easy/Steady Pace" and that came out at about 9:30m/m. It was tough, especially towards the end but it's done now and that's 3 20 milers in the bank.

Great going adrian. You're flying it!
    Take it easy for the rest of the day! You deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

20 miles done this morning, my legs know all about it but feeling good. Big improvement on last week when I did 19 miles after work on a friday. Average pace last week was 10:06, managed 9:45 average this week. I would have targeted 9:40 but not too upset as I had a couple of pit stops to buy water etc.

This week I had two rest days on Thursday and Friday due to pulling my midweek runs in by a day. Although I did 8 miles MP in place of an easy 8 just so I wasn't being too kind to myself. To be honest I was going stir crazy with the two days off and was itching to get back out! But I'm sure the rest was a factor in me finding it more manageable.

One small hiccup I packed 3 gels last night, one in my shorts and 2 in an arm band meant for an iPod. Of course I left without the armband. I improvised by stopping and buying a cereal bar and I think I'll have no problem eating these on the run if I can arrange someone to pass them to me in the marathon. I much prefer the feeling of solid food.

I think I might have found my knew favourite route also, ran from rathfarnham along the dodder out to sandymount out the coast road to the end of dun laoghaire pier. The return journey wasn't as nice back through stillorgan and dundrum which was probably no harm as I wouldn't have appreciated it at that point.

Lovely day out there for it too, hope the conditions were as pleasant for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Couldn't quite hack 20 miles today, only got to 30km just 2km short. Full report in my log later but I enjoyed that a lot. :D

• Advertisement

martyoo wrote: »
    I'm from there but up in Dublin now. Do you know anyone up this way? Thanks.

You could pm ecoli as he does this himself and is very good by all accounts!

Advertisement