Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Couldn't quite hack 20 miles today, only got to 30km just 2km short. Full report in my log later but I enjoyed that a lot. :D

Great stuff Sean! I think we'll let you off the 2k:) this time!
    Looking forward to reading about it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just back from 18 miles, much happier with this weeks run, was a tough last few miles still but I'm buzzing now (too many gels?!) ran parts of the marathon route & twas a beautiful day for going through the city. Feeling slightly more hopeful that this may become a reality on 27/10. Well done to all doing 20 this week. I've Athlone half next sat which will be a nice break :-)

P.s.ososlo's water bottle & holder was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

martyoo wrote: »
    I'm from there but up in Dublin now. Do you know anyone up this way? Thanks.

Depending on where you are there are a number of people that I would feel confident recommending;

In terms of Northside the following are all people who I have had treatments from myself and would personally vouch for; Micheal Hynes (Raheny) Vinny Mulvey (Ashbourne) David Corcoran (Coolock)

On Southside;

Ciaran McDonagh (Lucan) Myself (Walkinstown/Tallaght)

All names above would have been/be heavily involved in running so know the sport well and have experience working on athletes of all levels from Elite Internationals to first time marathoners.

PM me if you want any contact details for any of the above

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo wrote: »
    You could pm ecoli as he does this himself and is very good by all accounts!

Plus one to that, very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Was asked last week to do a interview with the journal.ie
    Here it is for anyone interested.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/dublin-marathon-fundraising-difficulites-1653690-Sep2014/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »

2 shops, side by side. Both shops sell mars bars. Shop 1 sells Mars bars for €1 each. Shop 2 sells Mars bars for €1.50 each.

In which shop do you buy your mars bar?

Neither.
    Aren't you the one who was giving out about athletes eating Mars Bars last week? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Casey78 wrote: »

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/dublin-marathon-fundraising-difficulites-1653690-Sep2014/

I was just reading that. Fair play to you Eoin. Hope the training is going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well another weeks lsr done.. this week was 20 miles and nicely worked out a route door to door. Was very comfortable up until 16 miles chatting away to the gf cycling beside me but i had to lose the chat and kep the head down for the last 4.. legs got very heavy..

Overall kept the pace consistent enough and 20 seconds per mile quicker than last week.. Should have gone a bit slower maybe to finish strong!

Time: 3:28:00
    Avg Pace: 10:24 min/mi

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/583884786

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So decided to do 10km race this morning. I have been running to the loo with last couple of days. Stomach has been upset. Think it was out of date coleslaw I ate. Got up this morning and had to run to the loo again. Was debating whether to go or not. Ate some cornflakes and had a coffee. Decided to drive to the race and if stomach was ok, Id enter. Did a 5k warm up and felt ok. Thought I might be fine.
    Race started and set off at a good pace. I was hoping to get under 40 mins. Went through 5k in 19.40. At the start of the race I felt if I got under 20 at halfway I would do it. And then the legs just went, no power and when I tried to increase the effort my stomach started to rumble. Slowed down, jogged to the finish in over 42 minutes. Got home and sat on the loo for half an hour. Stomach is still not right. Lesson learnt I guess. Will take it easy for weekend and see how I feel tomorrow evening re doing a lsr. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well another weeks lsr done.. this week was 20 miles and nicely worked out a route door to door. Was very comfortable up until 16 miles chatting away to the gf cycling beside me but i had to lose the chat and kep the head down for the last 4.. legs got very heavy..

Overall kept the pace consistent enough and 20 seconds per mile quicker than last week.. Should have gone a bit slower maybe to finish strong!

Time: 3:28:00
    Avg Pace: 10:24 min/mi

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/583884786

Marry that girl.

• Advertisement

Marry that girl.

Funny she keeps saying that too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Beautiful morning in Dublin this morning, ideal for a 16-mile LSR.

Headed up the royal canal to Ashtown, then a loop of the park and home along the canal. We are so lucky in Dublin to have such a choice of off-road routes... Had a glorious 8 miles along the Clontarf seafront on Weds morning, sun rising over Howth, very uplifting.

The Royal Canal is a hidden treasure, not busy at all this morning, swans, herons, the calm waters of the canal... But I was happy to get into the park and some shade after 7k. And of course the Park is a spectacular place to run.

Exited the park at 19k, again by the Ashtown gate, stopped at Supervalu in Ashtown for a water refill and felt great on the last 6-7k down the canal (downhill might have helped).

Apologies to the runner in the park whose heels I was on for a couple of KM... we seemed to be at the exact same pace and I hadn't the energy to get past her at that point on the narrow trail.

Managed to slow down a little compared to last week. Pace: 6:30/km 10:28/mile. But that did include one 10 min km (water stop) and almost a minute waiting to cross the road at cross guns bridge.

Best of all, feel much better now than last week, could almost, almost visualise myself doing another 8miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Casey78 wrote: »

I enjoyed reading the article.

Wishing you and young Eoghan all the best, he looks like a happy cheeky chappy

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Well done annapr. I cross over the canal a few times on my routes but often wondered if it would be safe to run along it early morning when there's no one around.

Neil - fair play to your gf!

Laoisman where did you get the viper gels? Went to a few shops today but couldn't get them. Had to settle for kinecta. I've never taken them before. I should have been more organised and ordered online.

Did 8m pace this morning and I'm wrecked after it. Early nite tonight ahead of my 18m lsr tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

21.5 mile LSR this morning. Lovely day for it. I did the 5 miles between miles 10-15 at PMP. They felt good but it definitely took a lot out of me. I would have struggled to do another 5 mile at the end. Cold bath ( no ice) when I got home which I feel refreshed the legs a bit sore but not too bad. I will be switching the next couple of weeks around in preparation for the Athlone half next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Good call. Make sure to bring your runners to the physio. Let us know how it goes. Foam roll if you can.
    Don't stress about the half yet. It could be something simple.

Delighted to report its nothing to serious. Seems I increased mileage & frequency too much too quickly & it seems the muscle on the inside of my knee is not strong enough which is causing pressure, leading to the knee pain. Got good relief today & have exercises to do for the week. I can run 2 short distances this week & see how I get on, physio said to be very aware of my running form & make sure to keep hips in line & knees facing forward rather than inward with short strides, which is going to be difficult to concentrate on. Have to go back next Sat & all going well can go out on lsr on Sunday. Will be breaking in the new runners this week so hope that will also help matters.

Im delighted I went as I really didnt know what was wrong & what I should be doing to treat it.This is all new to me & really didnt want to do harm. Im ahead on the training plan on the lsr distance & all going well will be back on track next week & the half is still achieveable. I prob did panic a bit but I guess like everyone here have invested a lot of time & effort in the training!! Plus was up this morning @ 5 to eat so could be out on lsr @ 6 so was gutted to have to give up!!

Well done to all on lsr's today, lots of super stuff. Onwards & upwards!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think I messed up my weeks on the BAA plan, I am just finishing up week 8 and did plan on starting week 9 on Tue. But I should be starting week 10...:o I am a tool, the mix up must have happened when I moved the weeks around for the 10 mile race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Joleigh wrote: »
    Well done annapr. I cross over the canal a few times on my routes but often wondered if it would be safe to run along it early morning when there's no one around.

Thanks Joleigh. Unfortunately going out alone I always ask myself that question too. I was out this morning from 10-12:45 ish so not too early. And didn't see any hint of an issue although some stretches are very quiet. Some of the trails in the park around Farmleigh are even more isolated and I would always be vigilant there too. Hate having to think about it but it's a reality, esp for women.

Of course with all this training we could probably out-run any assailant! Hmm, maybe not after 20km!!!

AK333 wrote: »
    I enjoyed reading the article.

Wishing you and young Eoghan all the best, he looks like a happy cheeky chappy

Thank you. And yes he is a very happy cheeky little fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Joleigh wrote: »
    Laoisman where did you get the viper gels? Went to a few shops today but couldn't get them. Had to settle for kinecta

Holland & Barrett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Gavlor wrote: »
    Economics lesson for today.

2 shops, side by side. Both shops sell mars bars. Shop 1 sells Mars bars for €1 each. Shop 2 sells Mars bars for €1.50 each.

In which shop do you buy your mars bar?

depends could there be a really hot girl working in shop number 2 who im trying to get up the nerve to ask out.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

So, long runs are an opportunity not only to test the legs, but all the race day plans. 18miles done but I don't think I'll be wearing this shirt for DCM14! It's a shame, I liked it a lot and this never happened to me before I suppose I'm prone to it now.

Ouch!

Sorry about the link, can't seem to post in a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

31k LSR this evening, first time over 30k and first over 4 hours. After about 10k I felt great and was thinking I could go further, but the legs got tired and the feet got sore, and by about 27k I knew I should stick to the plan. The last bit was tough. Never been so glad to get a run finished - I kind of stopped enjoying it over the last 10k. Had to remind myself I'm doing it for charity in memory of my wife's mum.

It didn't help that I needed more water than the 500 ml (cut with a dash of juice and some sea salt) I'd brought with me. On the plus side, I had no problem fuelling with a granola bar, an apple and foraged blackberries. Really the ould sméara dubha are a gift to distance running. I don't suppose there are brambles on the DCM course? :) I'll have to try gels next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So, long runs are an opportunity not only to test the legs, but all the race day plans. 18miles done but I don't think I'll be wearing this shirt for DCM14! It's a shame, I liked it a lot and this never happened to me before I suppose I'm prone to it now.

Ouch!

Sorry about the link, can't seem to post in a photo.

Ouch is right! :(

annapr wrote: »
    Thanks Joleigh. Unfortunately going out alone I always ask myself that question too. I was out this morning from 10-12:45 ish so not too early. And didn't see any hint of an issue although some stretches are very quiet. Some of the trails in the park around Farmleigh are even more isolated and I would always be vigilant there too. Hate having to think about it but it's a reality, esp for women.

Of course with all this training we could probably out-run any assailant! Hmm, maybe not after 20km!!!

Lol. At least in the park you can sprint up a hill. At the canal you don't have much options. It always looks so nice though. Last week I stopped in cabra to take some pics. I'll put it on my list of "to do" runs. Along with howth head.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Holland & Barrett

Thanks. Tried that shop yesterday. They had none. I will order online. Off out on my 18 miler now. Nervous!

20.2 miles done. 10'00 pace.
    The last .2 of a mile was important to be as I now know I'd "only" have 6 miles left to do a Marathon.
    To be honest I could have done a few more miles this morning.
    Finally found a gel I liked. The High 5 citrus flavour is very nice and didn't upset my tummy at all.
    To be honest the worst part of the run was the cold bath afterwards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Another LSR success story here. 18 miles done. Furthest ever ran. Took in a section of the marathon route from castleknock up as far as walkinstown roundabout having ran 5 miles to get to castleknock first. The drag from the canal up to walkinstown broke me in 2012. Today coming at it at approx the same distance covered ploughed up no bother.

Turned right at walkinstown and headed back down towards ballyfermot and ultimately finished with the last 1.5 miles uphill from chapleizod gate to chesterfield avenue in the park. Had enough juice to take out mile 18 uphill as the fastest of the day and could have gone on if needed.

Legs are sore, lost a gel somewhere along the way which was a pain but overall am very happy with that confidence booster.

Well it's not a goot start to the day.. woke up with my right leg very sore.. not sure if I didn't stretch enough or too much after the lsr yesterday..

Recovery run is a no and ill take Monday to rest it up and see Tuesday.. here's hoping it's nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

just in the door from a 18 mile LSR not a smart idea in the heat. Was meant to have 8 miles a PMP as part of the run but only reliased when i checked my splits afterwards i only did 7 opps. Very tough run in the middle but got a 2nd wind around the 16 mile mark to help get me though the last 2 mile overall running time 2hr 52mins and my longest run since marathon monday last year

Advertisement