Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Firedance wrote: »
    loving the optimism Joleigh!

regarding the emotions crossing the finish line, I've been visualizing myself crossing the finish when I'm out running (I know, slightly nuts right?) and I feel emotional just thinking about it, have visions of being a blubbering mess on the day ifWHEN I cross the line :)

PS Tigerandahalf as far as I know DCM used to be televised but was cut from RTE a few years ago due to costs(?)

That's if you have enough moisture left for tears! One thing that sticks in my head is that my teeth started chattering when I finished! And my lips went blue. And I was walking like Kaiser Soze :rolleyes:

Laoisman....they say not to try and make up for lost miles. Like Firedance says, if the plan says step back then maybe sick to it. Step away from the runners!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Im pretty sure it was televised up to 2 years ago..(wasn't in the country last year) But i have watched it and when the leaders turn on to Templeogue road i walked outside and cheered them on..

3 years ago i remember sitting on my wall with a cup of tea and a breakfast roll thinking 'Look at all these fools':pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

3 years ago i remember sitting on my wall with a cup of tea and a breakfast roll thinking 'Look at all these fools':pac:

This year you'll be looking at those people thinking "Look at those fools, they could be out doing this too" as you run past :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

yaboya1 wrote: »
    This year you'll be looking at those people thinking "Look at those fools, they could be out doing this too" as you run past :D

Well if anyone is sitting on my wall eating a breakfast roll i'm going for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eigeen

Hello folks and well done to everybody involved. Been reading this thread since the start and am benefiting from the shared advice. Preparing for my first marathon and following the HH Novice 2 plan. So far so good! Did the Dingle Half Marathon last Saturday in 1.41.45 which was a good five minutes off last years attempt which suggests the training is working!! Looking forward to staying in loop on this thread over the next 7 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Joleigh wrote: »
    Laoisman....they say not to try and make up for lost miles. Like Firedance says, if the plan says step back then maybe sick to it. Step away from the runners!!!

Thanks. But I don't see not doing a step-back week due to the fact that you've just had two in a row as the same thing as chasing lost miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Just in from 3.75 mile recovery run.

Was planning my normal 5 mile run during lunchtime but I guess that 18.5 miles LSR on Saturday took more out of me than I thought.

Gonna take a step-back week next weekend of maybe 14 - 16 miles LSR & then the half the weekend after.

Hoping I'm able to get 2 * 20 miles in in the final two weeks before the taper.

Does that sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well if anyone is sitting on my wall eating a breakfast roll i'm going for them!

I LOVE THIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

I’m trying to see if there a feature in the Dublin Marathon, via the timing chip or by using some other type of app whereby family or friends could keep track of my progress while running the marathon?

I’ve googled it and it’s mentioned in relation to the London Marathon that there are timing mats every 5K and people can see when their family/friend has passed over each mat. On another forum there is also a mention of a little armband the runner can wear and can be tracked via a smartphone app, seems to only be in Germany or Italy though it’s been used.

Not essential I know but would be a nice feature. Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Kop On wrote: »
    I’m trying to see if there a feature in the Dublin Marathon, via the timing chip or by using some other type of app whereby family or friends could keep track of my progress while running the marathon?

I’ve googled it and it’s mentioned in relation to the London Marathon that there are timing mats every 5K and people can see when their family/friend has passed over each mat. On another forum there is also a mention of a little armband the runner can wear and can be tracked via a smartphone app, seems to only be in Germany or Italy though it’s been used.

Not essential I know but would be a nice feature. Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?

I think I remember seeing something on their website for this last year for the marathon and/or the series. But I didn't see something similar this year. Unless I confused it with something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

The runtastic app has a live tracking option that you could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

There definitely was last year , one posted updates to face book another where you could tracker the run each mile. The link was on the website nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

A number of years ago a diligent poster put together a spreadsheet where you could enter your pace and it would give a protected time for you to pass through every part of the course. It was excellent to give to supporters so they could plan their day.

Has anyone seen it for the new course this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Have they not had them for the race series this year? I thought they had and if so then they'll be able to use on the day.
    48 days......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A number of years ago a diligent poster put together a spreadsheet where you could enter your pace and it would give a protected time for you to pass through every part of the course. It was excellent to give to supporters so they could plan their day.

Has anyone seen it for the new course this year?

If it's ok with the boss I've started this on a new sheet in our tracker area. At the moment if you enter your target time it will show you the elapsed time through all 26 mile landmarks. Will add in actual expected times verus the wave starts shortly - still figuring that one out :pac:

Edit - Figured it out I think :)

It's a rough thing - no fancy formatting. I've given it a bit of a test and it seems to be calculating accurately.
    Sheet is called Supporters Time Guide and is at the end of the other sheets.
    All you need to do is fill in your target time and it will show you the rough time passing all 26 mile locations for wave 1,2 and 3.
    NB - target time must be filled in the format hh:mm:ss or else the sheet will break

Link to the sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

This is an interesting website.
    There is a book called 'Running For Fitness' - the author has put the whole book on line for free.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/

There are some good tools/tips/advice on the website - I would caution against using the training plans as I don't see he has any formal training in this area - but the tools (calculators etc) are good, the advice is sound and there is good general information in here (race day etc).

However, his advice doesn't come close to Ososlo's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

frash wrote: »
    The runtastic app has a live tracking option that you could use.

DCM App definitely had one last year and the year before. You could enter a race number or name and track progress, i think at several milestones... It was very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

22 mile lsr done. A bit later this week as I raced on Saturday. Lovely evening out and it was nice and cool. Managed to do 3 MP miles from mile 16. My legs were then wrecked for the last 3 miles and I trickled home. Felt very comfortable running at a minute below MP but the MP miles are a different story. Didn't take water and took 2 gels. Was sweating a lot less as it was cooler but once you up the pace it is a different story.

One thing I was thinking to myself while running tonight is the MP. I see people here saying the pacers will run at a constant steady pace. I came across a good few hills this evening and there is no way I could hold MP going over them. Thus you would then need to be making up pace on flatter sections. So perhaps the MP we are going by is too ambitious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I think I remember seeing something on their website for this last year for the marathon and/or the series. But I didn't see something similar this year. Unless I confused it with something else.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    There definitely was last year , one posted updates to face book another where you could tracker the run each mile. The link was on the website nearer the time.
    annapr wrote: »
    DCM App definitely had one last year and the year before. You could enter a race number or name and track progress, i think at several milestones... It was very cool.

Just did a quick google and found the 2013 tracker. Looks pretty decent, hopefully it's accurate and updated in real time for 2014.

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLIN-2013#b=na&v=ptrack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well my weekend went like this:

Friday after work: 8 Miles
    Saturday 9am : 20 Miles
    Saturday pm: Jo'Burger + Beer
    Saturday later PM: More Beer.
    Sunday am: pre match pints+ Subway
    Sunday PM: Insane match, few pints afterwards, burrito as well I think.
    Sunday later PM, watching NFL, few beers, more junk food
    Monday am: struggle through work somehow.
    Monday PM: 10 mile session (10K pace, 8x800m): This actually went a lot better than expected, not too bad at all actually all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

frash wrote: »
    Just in from 3.75 mile recovery run.

Was planning my normal 5 mile run during lunchtime but I guess that 18.5 miles LSR on Saturday took more out of me than I thought.

Gonna take a step-back week next weekend of maybe 14 - 16 miles LSR & then the half the weekend after.

Hoping I'm able to get 2 * 20 miles in in the final two weeks before the taper.

Does that sound reasonable?
    Sounds good to me frash. Add a few miles onto each end of the half also if you want to bring the mileage up a bit but as always keep the extra miles at a very easy effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

adrian522 wrote: »

Monday PM: 10 mile session (10K pace, 8x800m): This actually went a lot better than expected, not too bad at all actually all things considered.

Cool. So more beer + junk food = Faster Marathon...
    And there was me fading away after losing over a stone since start of Marathon training.should have been eating takeaways and drinking beer all the time!!

One thing I was thinking to myself while running tonight is the MP. I see people here saying the pacers will run at a constant steady pace. I came across a good few hills this evening and there is no way I could hold MP going over them. Thus you would then need to be making up pace on flatter sections. So perhaps the MP we are going by is too ambitious.
    I think they do ease up a little on the hills but not much.
    You don't have to run with pacers so can just use your own pacing strategy.
    Best to be a little more conservative with mp for your first.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I think they do ease up a little on the hills but not much.
    You don't have to run with pacers so can just use your own pacing strategy.
    Best to be a little more conservative with mp for your first.

I think 10 or 20 seconds slower per mile could be the difference between a really painful experience and a tough but enjoyable one. Should we be looking to do a good share of MP miles in one of our lsrs to get an idea or is that too risky. I know I have done a half at faster pace than mp, but it is was only 13 miles and I had given everything by the end. I guess as you say being conservative is the best bet.

If it's ok with the boss I've started this on a new sheet in our tracker area. At the moment if you enter your target time it will show you the elapsed time through all 26 mile landmarks. Will add in actual expected times verus the wave starts shortly - still figuring that one out :pac:

Edit - Figured it out I think :)

It's a rough thing - no fancy formatting. I've given it a bit of a test and it seems to be calculating accurately.
    Sheet is called Supporters Time Guide and is at the end of the other sheets.
    All you need to do is fill in your target time and it will show you the rough time passing all 26 mile locations for wave 1,2 and 3.
    NB - target time must be filled in the format hh:mm:ss or else the sheet will break

Link to the sheet

Perfect PM, thanks - the finish time for the waves doesn't seem to be correct - they match starting times rather than start time plus the running time.

Sheesh :rolleyes: - get it sorted.

adrian522 wrote: »

you did the "Yasso 800's" - how did that work out? did it give you your marathon time?

Runners World - Yasso 800's

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty much spot on actually, my 800 times ranged from 3:44 to 3:52.

Currently aiming for a 3:45 to 3:50 Marathon time.

I went out to run these at 10K pace though and not any faster than that. Also I did 8 not 10 and my recoveries were 90secs, with a 5 min recovery after the first 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Perfect PM, thanks - the finish time for the waves doesn't seem to be correct - they match starting times rather than start time plus the running time.

Sheesh :rolleyes: - get it sorted.

Lol. Will correct it later this evening when at a pc !

• Advertisement

I think 10 or 20 seconds slower per mile could be the difference between a really painful experience and a tough but enjoyable one. Should we be looking to do a good share of MP miles in one of our lsrs to get an idea or is that too risky. I know I have done a half at faster pace than mp, but it is was only 13 miles and I had given everything by the end. I guess as you say being conservative is the best bet.

Exactly. That's the most important piece of advice anyone can give you - don't be too ambitious for your first as the main aim should be to enjoy it so that you’ll want to do lots more marathons!
    I think it's too chancy for a novice marathon runner to do too much mp work in the lsr. You're doing these really long runs for the first time and that alone is loads for your body to cope with.
    I used to do 4 mp miles at the end of the lsr and found that a really good to see how you cope with your aspired to mp when you're wrecked on very tired legs. It's a bit of a wake up call!

Advertisement