Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'll do a short run tonight and hoping I won't have to decide to rest

Well.....that didn't work out! :rolleyes:

Rest it is for me then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Leg has improved sitting off it since Saturday.. I had a bit of a stretch last night and a quick foam roll and it felt grand so i'm gonna put a few easy miles in later..
    Hopefully it was just a slight niggle after the 20 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Hi there. Totally addicted to this thread. At this stage running is all I can pretty much think about!!! Question: Have to do a bit of jigging around with this weeks schedule (following my own clubs), so if one was to skip a session this week between a fartlek or an interval training one which one would be better to skip?? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

A very late weekly report - I've just finished my weekend long run in Hyde Park/Kensington gardens in this morning's sunshine. Lovely surroundings for 19 mile LSR.

Have some problems with ITB/piriformis niggles in the early days of last week, nothing serious but requiring me to back off a bit. In particular had to cut short an easy run on the Tuesday, and take greater care with the Wednesday and Thursday running. That worked well but the ITB made itself felt again on Saturday evening and Sunday (maybe caused by a fast run at Parkrun on Saturday morning). That's why I didn't do the LSR on Sunday. Work&travel interfered and I couldn't do the run on Monday either, but that may have done no harm .. a bit of extra ITB recuperation.

Tried "strides" for the first time this week after reading so much about them here :-)

37.5 miles in total this "week"

Tuesday: 2.25 miles 9:10 pace (stopped with ITB niggle)

Wednesday: 4 miles at 8:50 comfortable/consistent pace, on grass/clay. 19C cloudy

Thursday: 6.9 miles including 4x100m strides. Done partly on grass/clay, 20C cloudy.
    (all non-stride running was done at a consistent 8:50 pace. Didn't time the strides as I was starting them at the .94 stage of miles 2-5, and using the mile-beep to know when to stop .... however, they knocked about 10secs off each mile, so probably strides were just over 6min pace)

Saturday: parkrun @ fairly consistent 7:30 pace (small PB)
    2.25 miles c/d at 8:50 pace

Tuesday am: 19 miles LSR 15/16C
    (first 15miles avg pace 9:46, all miles were between 9:43-9:51 except the first two (10:10, 9:26). Did the last 4 miles at 9:27, 9:16, 8:50, 8:32 - this was not planned before I went out; I looked at my watch at 15.75 and was surprised to see 9:10 there... slowed it down a bit but then changed my mind and decided I'd finish with 4 quicker miles)

Most important thing is that the ITB feels fine after the 19 miles:-)
    I experimented with jelly Babies and they worked well. I also (without planning to) experimented with drinking absolutely no water on the run!!! I'd read wonderful things online about the fab drinking fountain near Speaker's Corner and was delighted not to have to be taking a water bottle and throwing it in a hedge..... unfortunately I discovered at 5.5 miles that the fountain is not working at the moment :-(. And I hadn't any money along with me, and was not going to throw away my chance of doing this run by going home to get some. Actually felt ok. But I'm going out to buy a litre bottle of water now.

I'm going to have to shift around this week's running a bit because of the slide from last week. Had been planning to do 20 miles on Saturday in order to keep it a *full* week ahead of DCHM. But did want to do it because I don't have a lot of Long Runs in the bank yet. Would it be ok to do this next Sunday instead ... say at 10min pace so I don't flatten myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

After visit to physio on Sat with my knee no running done since, it is driving me mad :-( Went for a quick swim on Sunday followed by jacuzzi, and did weights session in the gym yesterday as usual, just without an running. This morning did a spin class to see how the knee would hold up & it went well so I am feeling a bit better now! The aim tomorrow is to do 3/4 easy miles to see how the knee is feeling, and same again on Thursday, then back to the physio on Friday. All going well he will give me the all clear for a longer distance at the weekend.

Aim is to do the half the weekend after next & would be gutted if I cant, but as long as I can get back out running that is the main thing. I missed the lsr on Sat & not sure if I will be able for the full planned 20 miles this Sat. Will this have a huge impact on my training? I am following HHN1 & am ahead on the long runs. Week before last was 18.5 miles, and last weekend was aiming for 20 but it didnt work out. Was panicking last weekend but knee is feeling tonnes better today & am doing the exercise I have been given by the physio so hoping it was just a bump on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mimojo wrote: »
    After visit to physio on Sat with my knee no running done since, it is driving me mad :-( Went for a quick swim on Sunday followed by jacuzzi, and did weights session in the gym yesterday as usual, just without an running. This morning did a spin class to see how the knee would hold up & it went well so I am feeling a bit better now! The aim tomorrow is to do 3/4 easy miles to see how the knee is feeling, and same again on Thursday, then back to the physio on Friday. All going well he will give me the all clear for a longer distance at the weekend.

Aim is to do the half the weekend after next & would be gutted if I cant, but as long as I can get back out running that is the main thing. I missed the lsr on Sat & not sure if I will be able for the full planned 20 miles this Sat. Will this have a huge impact on my training? I am following HHN1 & am ahead on the long runs. Week before last was 18.5 miles, and last weekend was aiming for 20 but it didnt work out. Was panicking last weekend but knee is feeling tonnes better today & am doing the exercise I have been given by the physio so hoping it was just a bump on the road!

Don't rush back into your LSR your first day back. It's similar to the reason why you build up distance over the course of the plan your body needs time to adapt and as such you need to give your body time to get back used to running. My advice would be to scrap the LSR this week and just ease back into training.

I know you may panick about missing a long run but it's better than the alternative of rushing back and not making the start line, you need to be sensible with your body.

If you are in any doubt and your physio has a background in running maybe as for their opinion on a back to training progression (given that the extent of the injury is known by them and know your full background)

ecoli wrote: »
    Don't rush back into your LSR your first day back. It's similar to the reason why you build up distance over the course of the plan your body needs time to adapt and as such you need to give your body time to get back used to running. My advice would be to scrap the LSR this week and just ease back into training.

I know you may panick about missing a long run but it's better than the alternative of rushing back and not making the start line, you need to be sensible with your body.

If you are in any doubt and your physio has a background in running maybe as for their opinion on a back to training progression (given that the extent of the injury is known by them and know your full background)

Thanks ecoli. If I miss the lsr this weekend, and last, am I completely off track for DCM? I am hoping to do the half the weekend after so no lsr then either, so will have been 3 weekends without proper lsr, I am very worried that this will set me back too far? My lsrs so far have been building up each week from 10 miles, week before was 18.5, but really I have only done 2 runs over 16 miles at this stage (with 3 between 10 and 16 miles), I am worried this is really not enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mimojo wrote: »
    Thanks ecoli. If I miss the lsr this weekend, and last, am I completely off track for DCM? I am hoping to do the half the weekend after so no lsr then either, so will have been 3 weekends without proper lsr, I am very worried that this will set me back too far? My lsrs so far have been building up each week from 10 miles, week before was 18.5, but really I have only done 2 runs over 16 miles at this stage (with 3 between 10 and 16 miles), I am worried this is really not enough!!

It's the lesser of 2 evils, better to miss a LSR this week and do a few miles than miss another full week or two with a relapse.

What you could do is do 2 mile warm up and cooldown for the Half and you have yourself a 17 mile LSR the weekend of the half if you feel you need the time on your feet.

While the LSR's are important they are not the be all and end all its the cumulative effect of all the training that will stand to you come race day

ecoli wrote: »
    It's the lesser of 2 evils, better to miss a LSR this week and do a few miles than miss another full week or two with a relapse.

What you could do is do 2 mile warm up and cooldown for the Half and you have yourself a 17 mile LSR the weekend of the half if you feel you need the time on your feet.

While the LSR's are important they are not the be all and end all its the cumulative effect of all the training that will stand to you come race day

Thanks for the advise! I will go to physio on Fri & see what he thinks & take it easy for the weekend. Great idea on the half to increase up to lsr, would feel a bit better to know that I got a few extra miles in that day & not as far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

locombia wrote: »
    Hi there. Totally addicted to this thread. At this stage running is all I can pretty much think about!!! Question: Have to do a bit of jigging around with this weeks schedule (following my own clubs), so if one was to skip a session this week between a fartlek or an interval training one which one would be better to skip?? Thanks!

What kind of intervals? Long intervals? My instinct would be to say that longer interval work might serve you better for marathon training rather than fartlek however I wouldn't really be qualified to give you an informed opinion. Hopefully someone else might pop in with some advice for you!

• Advertisement

I'm going to have to shift around this week's running a bit because of the slide from last week. Had been planning to do 20 miles on Saturday in order to keep it a *full* week ahead of DCHM. But did want to do it because I don't have a lot of Long Runs in the bank yet. Would it be ok to do this next Sunday instead ... say at 10min pace so I don't flatten myself?

well done on the Parkrun pb!
    So you're doing the half marathon on Saturday week? And you want to do 20lsr this Sunday? Just to be clear! I'm a little slow today sorry:o

Both plans we are following here have mini step-back weeks with the lsr this weekend (12 for Hal and 15 for Boards Plan) to allow for fresher legs come the Half Marathon but I think your strategy of going extra easy for the 20 this Sunday might be ok. If you tend to recover quite quickly from the lsrs then I'd say you'll be fine but if it takes you a long time to recover then maybe consider cutting it a bit down from 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Hi Guys,

Re: Is it too late

following this thread since the start, the marathon is my main goal for this year, started training in June using the P&D type programme, started by increasing the mileage o 50 per week and then incorporated more threshold type runs, all going well except for the LSR. I had hoped to do 16 the week before Frank Duffy, but a cold/infection slowed me down and only managed about 13/14 and I was out on my feet. a week after the FD went to do 18 managed to get to 15 again out on my feet no way could I run any further, an emergency at work resulted in no LRS this week my schedule is to do a 20.

My question is it too late to rescue the training? if I do a 18-20 this weekend, half the following and then three 20 and a 13 the week before hand will this be sufficient to run the marathon hope to dip under 3.30 but not sure if I have it in me. Once I hit 14 miles I seem to go off a cliff not sure if its diet and/or lack of endurance, my LSR during the winter was 10 miles every Sunday so it not like I am starting from scratch.

Any suggestions, presently running approx 45-50 per week with two type threshold runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ososlo wrote: »
    well done on the Parkrun pb!
    So you're doing the half marathon on Saturday week? And you want to do 20lsr this Sunday? Just to be clear! I'm a little slow today sorry:o

Both plans we are following here have mini step-back weeks with the lsr this weekend (12 for Hal and 15 for Boards Plan) to allow for fresher legs come the Half Marathon but I think your strategy of going extra easy for the 20 this Sunday might be ok. If you tend to recover quite quickly from the lsrs then I'd say you'll be fine but if it takes you a long time to recover then maybe consider cutting it a bit down from 20.

Thanks Ososlo....

The long runs haven't been taking as much out of me as I expected (I am bit surprised by this). This might be because I had been doing my (12-mile) long runs at about 9min pace until 5 or 6 weeks ago. So even though my LSRs are still slightly on the fast side, it feels like a break to me.

I'd run it at 10min pace (and no speeding up at all at the end). Then I'd just do a couple of 5milers on the Tuesday and Thursday of the pre-DCHM week to give a decent taper. Would not be trying the 20miler at all except that I came round to the DCM idea late in the day, and feel a little bit short of "properly long" runs.

I will be watching the left ITB over the coming week and will just play everything it by ear - won't go for the 20miles if I think it's going to cause issues.

Thanks for reading the massive post and for the advice. I am gradually taking the pace down, even though I know I'm not quite there yet! But I'm getting there (planning to do some recovery miles at 9:30 pace tomorrow morning :-))

SWL wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Re: Is it too late

following this thread since the start, the marathon is my main goal for this year, started training in June using the P&D type programme, started by increasing the mileage o 50 per week and then incorporated more threshold type runs, all going well except for the LSR. I had hoped to do 16 the week before Frank Duffy, but a cold/infection slowed me down and only managed about 13/14 and I was out on my feet. a week after the FD went to do 18 managed to get to 15 again out on my feet no way could I run any further, an emergency at work resulted in no LRS this week my schedule is to do a 20.

My question is it too late to rescue the training? if I do a 18-20 this weekend, half the following and then three 20 and a 13 the week before hand will this be sufficient to run the marathon hope to dip under 3.30 but not sure if I have it in me. Once I hit 14 miles I seem to go off a cliff not sure if its diet and/or lack of endurance, my LSR during the winter was 10 miles every Sunday so it not like I am starting from scratch.

Any suggestions, presently running approx 45-50 per week with two type threshold runs.
    So 15 is your longest run to date? If so then I wouldn't jump to 20 this weekend. Maybe 17, 18 at a push.
    I am concerned though as to why you say that after 15 there was 'no way I could run any further' and 'once I hit 14 I seem to go off a cliff'. You must be running your long slow runs too fast. Have a look at Post 2 of this thread for some guidance on pacing the lsr.

You still have a good bit of time to get in some decent long runs.
    You could do 17 this weekend, then 17/18 the day of the half (add on 2 miles w/u and a few cool down miles) and then do a few 20s (2 or 3 should be fine) and you should be well covered. Your weekly mileage is quite good anyways so that'll stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Just a quick question, there are a lot of posts about "will I be ready for DCM?" and the answer seems to be LSR and getting 2-3 20 mile runs in. The HHN1 only has 1 20 mile run. Is this enough?
    Also has the plan changed or am I missing something. 12 mile lsr this week and then half the following week. If I am not doing the half do I still just do 13 or bring the weekly miles up to 36

Nice 4 miles this evening at an average pace of 11.20

Just a quick question, there are a lot of posts about "will I be ready for DCM?" and the answer seems to be LSR and getting 2-3 20 mile runs in. The HHN1 only has 1 20 mile run. Is this enough?
    Also has the plan changed or am I missing something. 12 mile lsr this week and then half the following week. If I am not doing the half do I still just do 13 or bring the weekly miles up to 36

Nice 4 miles this evening at an average pace of 11.20

The Hal Novice 1 plan with just one 20 mile long run has served a lot of people very well. The Boards plan has a few lsrs as it's a bit more advanced.
    Some people feel more confident having done more than one 20 but you don't need to do that to run a successful DCM. If you wanted, you could change one of the other runs to an 18 or a 20. It's completely up to you. Read Hal's notes on his website about the novice programme and how well it's worked for many runners and how it sets you up well for the big day.

Yes it's 12lsr this weekend and if not doing the half marathon just run the distance at lsr pace. If you're not doing any half marathon before the big day you could add on a few miles to this week's and next week's run. No problem tweaking a plan a little if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

What kind of intervals? Long intervals? My instinct would be to say that longer interval work might serve you better for marathon training rather than fartlek however I wouldn't really be qualified to give you an informed opinion. Hopefully someone else might pop in with some advice for you!

I'd agree with Ososlo on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Any BAA plan people doing the half next week, if so what are you plans for the plan next week..?
    Week 11 (52-70 MILES)
    Monday Rest Day - 0 to 3 miles
    Tuesday Interval - 7 to 10 miles total. 3 x (800m-600m-600m) at 5K pace, 90 seconds recovery, 5 minutes between sets.
    Wednesday Distance - 5 to 8 miles
    Thursday MLR - 10 to 11 miles
    Friday Distance - 4 to 6 miles
    Saturday Tempo - 6 to 10 miles, with 30 to 40 minutes in the middle at marathon pace
    Sunday Long Distance - 20 to 22 miles, running miles 9 through 12 at marathon pace

Dub13 wrote: »
    Any BAA plan people doing the half next week, if so what are you plans for the plan next week..?

If it were me, I'd do the following

Tuesday Interval - 7 to 10 miles total. 3 x (800m-600m-600m) at 5K pace, 90 seconds recovery, 5 minutes between sets. (maybe change to 10k pace)
    Thursday MLR - Rest
    Friday Distance - 4 miles very easy with 6x100m strides
    Saturday - 2m WU / HM / 2m CD = 17 good miles
    Sunday - recovery 4 miles very very slow.

The above is depending on you racing the half.
    Some people do it at MP, which is still a great session.

You get massive fitness boost from racing a HM, massive. Dont underestimate it and do respect it.
    Training is training but this sort of stuff is gold.

Regarding the following week - I'd recommend easy running for most of the week - until at least Thursday and even then, I'd be doing any session at the slowest possible pace.

I'd wager that these next 2 weeks are the cause of so many people pulling out of DCM. Not tapering right for the HM - doing sessions after the HM.
    I've fell victim to it myself. So be careful out there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

If it were me, I'd do the following

Tuesday Interval - 7 to 10 miles total. 3 x (800m-600m-600m) at 5K pace, 90 seconds recovery, 5 minutes between sets. (maybe change to 10k pace)
    Thursday MLR - Rest
    Friday Distance - 4 miles very easy with 6x100m strides
    Saturday - 2m WU / HM / 2m CD = 17 good miles
    Sunday - recovery 4 miles very very slow.

The above is depending on you racing the half.
    Some people do it at MP, which is still a great session.

You get massive fitness boost from racing a HM, massive. Dont underestimate it and do respect it.
    Training is training but this sort of stuff is gold.

Regarding the following week - I'd recommend easy running for most of the week - until at least Thursday and even then, I'd be doing any session at the slowest possible pace.

I'd wager that these next 2 weeks are the cause of so many people pulling out of DCM. Not tapering right for the HM - doing sessions after the HM.
    I've fell victim to it myself. So be careful out there :P

I'm doing Athlone half this sat, the plan is 13 miles (step back ). One fellow club member says I should not race it rather run pmp and this will mean I wont have to be too worried about recovery. Another club mate says I should race it. Is one option better than the other? I'm torn between trying for a pb and making sure i go injury free to DCM!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dub13 wrote: »

As discussed with AMK towards the start of the training cycle my plan is as attached, similar to you but I am having Sunday as my rest day and starting from Monday.

So my plan is

Monday - Pace session
    Tuesday - 8 Miles Easy
    Wed - MLR (Easy, not M-pace -30 seconds)
    Thursday - 6 Miles Easy
    Friday - Rest or 3 Miles Easy
    Saturday - Race with WU/CD
    Sunday Rest or 3 mles recovery.

Then dropping the session on the Monday afterwards for more easy miles.

Full plan is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13AuPkY07wXfnrSsZ-SkBwUMbzlnXDNlTY30-gN8fS2s/edit#gid=1078500440

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm doing Athlone half this sat, the plan is 13 miles (step back ). One fellow club member says I should not race it rather run pmp and this will mean I wont have to be too worried about recovery. Another club mate says I should race it. Is one option better than the other? I'm torn between trying for a pb and making sure i go injury free to DCM!

This is why my log title is the way it is.
    You have to have a 'main thing' - and keep to it.

Doing the HM at pmp is a good strategy as you'll not get a similar environment to run 13 miles at that pace (with some tagged on before and after).

Ultimately its your decision regarding what's more important to you.

I think every Novice should run it at PMP (with a lot of miles tagged on before it) - but that's just my opinion.

Racing it is also a good confidence builder (if it goes well) and it gives a good fitness boost (as does doing it at PMP) so it all depends on where you are in your training and if you can sacrifice some training to race it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

For the last couple of months now, I've been doing my midweek training before work as I'm sure plenty others are. I also cycle to work every day, it's only 8km but it means I've to be up quite early these days as the running distance increases. My midweek runs range between 8 and 12km now and I've decided to give running to work a shot. Obvious problem is I have to run home again! Not planning on doing this every day but having never run twice in one day I'm looking for some advice on whether or not this is a good idea. Slightly afraid I'll burn myself out. If I do it twice a week it'll be at least 32km.
    Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

skittles11 wrote: »
    For the last couple of months now, I've been doing my midweek training before work as I'm sure plenty others are. I also cycle to work every day, it's only 8km but it means I've to be up quite early these days as the running distance increases. My midweek runs range between 8 and 12km now and I've decided to give running to work a shot. Obvious problem is I have to run home again! Not planning on doing this every day but having never run twice in one day I'm looking for some advice on whether or not this is a good idea. Slightly afraid I'll burn myself out. If I do it twice a week it'll be at least 32km.
    Any advice appreciated.

I cycle commute but have ran in or home if I've needed to squeeze in a run somewhere. With proper planning you can run one and cycle the other. For example cycle in Monday morning with work gear for a couple of days to put in the locker. Then run home that evening (or take advantage of not having to cycle the bike home and meet friends....go shopping...go for a cheeky post work pint...leave the bike in for a service - stuff I might normally not do right after work if I had to cycle the bike home). Then the next morning either run in or maybe get the bus depending on how you've planned it. Gives you the chance to take advantage of the commute to fit in a run but without overdoing it.

skittles11 wrote: »
    Any advice appreciated.
    I ran twice a day a few days a week in lead up to dcm last year. However I did it very gradually and would have been well used to it at this stage in the plan.
    I wouldn't do it more than once a week for a few weeks and see how you handle that. Do the double day runs at recovery effort.
    These weeks are key weeks in the plan to stay injury free. You have a lot going on so it's best not to upset the balance too much by overdoing things and introducing too much new stuff.

I think you should race it :)
    If you're very injury prone and have niggles currently then maybe not.

If you do decide to race it you should be fully recovered by the following weekend.
    I think it's a great way to nail down a marathon goal time.
    Completely a personal choice so do what you feel is best for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I think you should race it :)
    If you're very injury prone and have niggles currently then maybe not.

If you do decide to race it you should be fully recovered by the following weekend.
    I think it's a great way to nail down a marathon goal time.
    Completely a personal choice so do what you feel is best for you!

LOL so I'm back to square one, one boardsie says race, the other says don't :D although I am slightly heartened to see you say I'll be back to normal by the following weekend when, according to my plan I need to run 19 miles, I'm not doing any club sessions this week and my last run will be 4 miles this eve. I won't do the club sessions next week either, just recovery runs and hopefully then my LSR on saturday as normal.

I think I will start in or around the 2hr pacers and see how it feels running with them, if its too fast/hurting/a struggle I'll pull back.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

I had a question about running a recovery run the morning after a session or LSR, which you do late in the evening.

For example this week on Wednesday Boards plan has 9miles PMP and on Thursday has 3miles recovery, if I was to run on Wednesday evening and be finished by 7.30 would doing the recovery run at 7am the following morning be counter productive?

I know its a recovery run and is probably not the end of the world if I skip it altogether, but in the last few weeks I have found these crucial in recovering well and getting ready for the next session or LSR.

LOL so I'm back to square one, one boardsie says race, the other says don't :D although I am slightly heartened to see you say I'll be back to normal by the following weekend when, according to my plan I need to run 19 miles, I'm not doing any club sessions this week and my last run will be 4 miles this eve. I won't do the club sessions next week either, just recovery runs and hopefully then my LSR on saturday as normal.

I think I will start in or around the 2hr pacers and see how it feels running with them, if its too fast/hurting/a struggle I'll pull back.

I know where AMK is coming from. He's being extra cautious and doesn't want people to end up injured and missing the main event. Dcm is the main thing after all. However lots of novices have done half marathons at half marathon effort over the years as the last race before DCM and haven't gotten injured and it's set them up well with a good idea of what pace to aim for in dcm.
    Weigh it up yourself. Only you can make the decision.
    Personally I don't think that running it at mp will tell you much. 13 at mp is worlds away from 26.2 at mp. The only benefit i can see is that you'll recover quicker. However I have only done one marathon so am a lot less experienced than Himself in all things marathon related ;)

• Advertisement

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I had a question about running a recovery run the morning after a session or LSR, which you do late in the evening.

For example this week on Wednesday Boards plan has 9miles PMP and on Thursday has 3miles recovery, if I was to run on Wednesday evening and be finished by 7.30 would doing the recovery run at 7am the following morning be counter productive?

I know its a recovery run and is probably not the end of the world if I skip it altogether, but in the last few weeks I have found these crucial in recovering well and getting ready for the next session or LSR.
    I'd often do similar and think it's fine with that time span between them. If you're finding the recovery runs crucial then try your best to fit it in.

Advertisement