Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Firedance wrote: »
    LOL so I'm back to square one, one boardsie says race, the other says don't :D although I am slightly heartened to see you say I'll be back to normal by the following weekend when, according to my plan I need to run 19 miles, I'm not doing any club sessions this week and my last run will be 4 miles this eve. I won't do the club sessions next week either, just recovery runs and hopefully then my LSR on saturday as normal.

I think I will start in or around the 2hr pacers and see how it feels running with them, if its too fast/hurting/a struggle I'll pull back.

I think it comes down to the individual

As AMK says keep the main thing being your target race however just because of that doesn't mean that the HM is veering off course especially if the plan has a designated race in it around that time.

In terms of how you approach the race ask yourself the following questions

1) Do you feel mentally strong about DCM? If not racing might be a good option as the confidence of running 13 miles at quicker than marathon pace may be needed to get your head around running double that at slighter lower

2) Do you feel it is your body that will fail you in DCM rather than mental aspect? If so I would say PMP as it's physically a more specific to your target and will enable you to need less recovery in the week following on from the race to enable you to continue with training uninterrupted.

Every runner is different psychologically and physiologically so aim to do what best suits you as a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Firedance wrote: »
    LOL so I'm back to square one, one boardsie says race, the other says don't :D although I am slightly heartened to see you say I'll be back to normal by the following weekend when, according to my plan I need to run 19 miles, I'm not doing any club sessions this week and my last run will be 4 miles this eve. I won't do the club sessions next week either, just recovery runs and hopefully then my LSR on saturday as normal.

I think I will start in or around the 2hr pacers and see how it feels running with them, if its too fast/hurting/a struggle I'll pull back.

You're gonna hate me.....but here goes......

For what it's worth, I think if you were going to race a HM, it should have been done 3 or 4 weeks ago in Clonmel or somewhere.

The advise on this thread that I took on most about all of this was from menoscemo (I think) around week 1 of the plan when he said, in his view, there is very little additional benefit between racing a HM as opposed to racing 10 miles, and we raced 10 miles at what is around the correct time to do a HM in any plans for any other marathon I ever see. And I have seen in logs and events threads around here where people preparing for other marathons and who are far more experienced than us wouldn't race a HM only 5 weeks out from their marathon, or only 2 weeks before taper starts - It makes 5 of the last 6 weeks either taper weeks or recovery weeks, which I find ludicrous personally!

Call it cynical, but I am refusing to be a slave to the DCM race-series money making agenda! :D They know damn well it's a daft time to have the HM but they're hell-bent on fitting the 4 races into the 18 weeks which they know is the duration of most people's plans and people will adjust their plans to suit. These 4 races should start a month earlier IMO.

I decided on that week 1 not to do this race. So I'd do it at PMP if I were you and add it in and don't taper for it very much and rover quickly. Seems better balanced to me.

Sorry if that only makes things worse. I'd just hate to see you missing anything or not being as ready as you can be!

I know you've probably recieved too many views on this now. Sorry! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Ok guys....

You are newbies- don't sweat the small stuff. This training cycle is all about learning and that includes learning skills that can only be tested under certain, very specific conditions and one of those skills is learning how to race.

I ****ing hate people "racing" at PMP. In my mind you either lace em up, toe the line and run eyeballs out or you go out and run a PMP spin with yourself or your training partner. The only exception I see to this is v. long "races" like kilo marathons or 3/4's marathons, here I can see the benefit of PMP- also these aren't actually proper race distances but marathon "stepping stone" events.

5 weeks is a fine amount of time especially for a novice and as AMK mentioned will produce a big fitness boost.

I think this is a super valuable thread with lots of great advise but sometimes the advise to "take it easy" and "slow down" isn't especially helpful. There is a fine line between being smart and being a pussy. So do be smart about the recovery after a HM and don't do stupid stuff like run a session the week after or bang out an LSR the day after etc but by all means give yourself a blow out- get in race conditions, at a pace that is just about sustainable and let your body learn to work under fairly heavy physical/ physiological pressure- you will find it helps you come DCM race day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I can't figure out the multi quote thing so thank you all for your input, some really good suggestions/things to think about in there. Either way I'm looking forward to Saturday even with the nerves :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Laois_Man wrote: »
    And I have seen in logs and events threads around here where people preparing for other marathons and who are far more experienced than us wouldn't race a HM only 5 weeks out from their marathon, or only 2 weeks before taper starts - It makes 5 of the last 6 weeks either taper weeks or recovery weeks, which I find ludicrous personally!

I raced the Longford HM on August 24th, which is 5 weeks out from my target marathon (Berlin)
    Call it cynical, but I am refusing to be a slave to the DCM race-series money making agenda! :D They know damn well it's a daft time to have the HM but they're hell-bent on fitting the 4 races into the 18 weeks which they know is the duration of most people's plans and people will adjust their plans to suit. These 4 races should start a month earlier IMO.

I really don't agree with this. I have no affiliation with the DCM or the Race Series, but I think it's great value and each race has been deliberately set up with the marathon in mind. 5 weeks is quite a long time imo.

• Advertisement

(

Would be in the same boat as yaboya regarding this, while not optimal in many experienced eyes I think that it serves a great function for first time runners as it lays out a steady progression through what is usually the first endeavour at an 18 week plan.

In terms of optimal marathon performance this is just not possible in 18 weeks as it takes years to build up your aerobic base to the level where you can achieve absolute optimal performances but for the general public the Race series provides a logical and safe build up for those who are coming from a non racing/ relatively novice starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Saturday - ran a half marathon in West Clare as well as I could have with a nice very unexpected PB and able to spend the evening over a nice few pints of stout and planning getting back on track with the plan and the LSR's

Sunday - playing casual soccer on the beach and while doing a perfectly normal turning motion felt a short sharp shock up the middle of my lower back.

Terrible discomfort and pain since and Physio informs me this morning no running/ driving/ working for at least a week.

Feck this for a game of soldiers...

Sorry for only posting when things go wrong, but nobody else will listen to my moaning :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear that, That soccer can be lethal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have to say I've always found the race series very good value. €35 for a 10 mile and a Half Marathon. Both very well organised, good atmosphere etc.

For comparison the Rock N Roll Half Marathon is a solid €50 to enter on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have to say I've always found the race series very good value. €35 for a 10 mile and a Half Marathon. Both very well organised, good atmosphere etc.

For comparison the Rock N Roll Half Marathon is a solid €50 to enter on it's own.

Great value. They couldn't be making much money on it by the time they supply the tshirts, numbers with chips, fruit at the end etc. I'm sure a lot of what goes into the race series is volunteer work and sponsors donating drinks etc but €20 for one well organised race is great value imo. Even better when you get the bundle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

dukeraoul wrote: »
    There is a fine line between being smart and being a pussy.

Good stuff :)

I don't think anyone has criticized the atmosphere, value for money etc of the race series. But I am pretty sure they're making plenty when advertisement/sponsorship and entry fees are all added up.

But if the race series is such a good lay out through a first attempt at a marathon, I don't get why HH, JD etc don't have these kind of races in their novice plans.

I hate people 'racing' at PMP too - which is why I didn't sign up. Waste of time and money if you're not going to properly race it.

But if the race series is such a good lay out through a first attempt at a marathon, I don't get why HH, JD etc don't have these kind of races in their novice plans.

Generic plans are designed to get as many people over the line as possible

Less races = less injury risk = more people finishing marathon

The benefits of these plans are not always that they are the best approach but rather they are cautious sensible approaches for a wide audience

Contradictory

Each to their own n all n anyways :D

Contradictory

Each to their own n all n anyways :D

Not quite the RS is designed to provide confidence in ability going through the events.

General beginner generic plans are about getting through race day injury free from a physical sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The advise on this thread that I took on most about all of this was from menoscemo (I think) around week 1 of the plan when he said, in his view, there is very little additional benefit between racing a HM as opposed to racing 10 miles, and we raced 10 miles at what is around the correct time to do a HM in any plans for any other marathon I ever see. :(

In My defense I think I was giving that advice specifically to one poster who seemed to have a hell of a lot of races in his plan and if I recall correctly those races already included a half marathon as well as the 10 miler.

If someone has already raced a 10 mile and a HM in the last month or two I don't think there is a lot of benefit from doing another one on saturday, better of training in that case. But for someone lacking experience of racing (espcially longer races like a HM) I think the racing experience is invaluable and they should race their HM in my opinion (even if it is only 5 weeks out).

This is the problem with 'generic advice'. There is no piece of advice that will suit everyone. Ideally advice should be given to people on a case by case basis, but on a thread like this that's obviously impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

If I was fit I'd be racing the HM. Trust in Meno..He got me to a 35 min marathon pb this year!

I'd race it and just drop the session in the following week and replace with easy running. I'm hoping to get over my injury to "run" the half myself. Great work by all the novices so far . Keep up the good work. Good to see all the really experienced guys and gals chipping in on top of Ososlo a already excellent stewardship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Race the bloody thing, it's only 13 miles!!

The only way I'd consider doing it at mp is if it was part of a 20 miler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Gavlor wrote: »
    Race the bloody thing, it's only 13 miles!!

The only way I'd consider doing it at mp is if it was part of a 20 miler.

ha I should have done a poll! I thought it was a harmless enough question :-) I will race it so but I can't promise to win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RedRunner wrote: »
    If I was fit I'd be racing the HM. Trust in Meno..He got me to a 35 min marathon pb this year!

I'd race it and just drop the session in the following week and replace with easy running. I'm hoping to get over my injury to "run" the half myself. Great work by all the novices so far . Keep up the good work. Good to see all the really experienced guys and gals chipping in on top of Ososlo a already excellent stewardship.

Yes and our super duper Boards Training Plan and the Hal Plan I amended especially for the Half are tailor made for novices to race the half.
    Bottom line, race it if you're fit. If you're on the verge of injury, don't race it.

Racing it will be great experience for yiz and as I said already, a great way to nail down a marathon goal time. Then we can start having the fun conversations about choosing a marathon goal time:)

• Advertisement

In the interest of fairness, I feel obliged to disclose that a non-voluntary donation of 3 pints of beer is required from each pacee in order to be selected to run with the 3.40 pace group.

Yours in sport

The 3.40 pacers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

In the interest of fairness, I feel obliged to disclose that a non-voluntary donation of 3 pints of beer is required from each pacee in order to be selected to run with the 3.40 pace group.

Yours in sport

The 3.40 pacers.

3:30 here I come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    3:30 here I come :D

Depending on which of them you run with, going with one of the3:40 lads might get you anywhere from a 2:59 to 5hrs.... I call it pacee roulette!

Depending on which of them you run with, going with one of the3:40 lads might get you anywhere from a 2:59 to 5hrs.... I call it pacee roulette!

Even pace my hole :D

Even pace my hole :D

Jaysus I am really gonna have my hands full with gavlor. Let's hope Auldmanking not Runningking shows up on the 27th October :P

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jaysus I am really gonna have my hands full with gavlor. Let's hope Auldmanking not Runningking shows up on the 27th October :P

Sorry gaffer. 7.50 all the way round, I promise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just to make it interesting, we're going to have a bet with each other.

Meno goes off at 5 miles for a pint - then tries to catch us.
    I go off at 10 miles for a pint, and Gavlor at 15 miles.

The person who can down their pint and catch up in the shortest time wins
    At all times there'll be 2 pacers and each pacee gets to do a bit of a tempo run for a couple of miles.

The more I'm typing the more interesting this is getting. Better stop.

Just to make it interesting, we're going to have a bet with each other.

Meno goes off at 5 miles for a pint - then tries to catch us.
    I go off at 10 miles for a pint, and Gavlor at 15 miles.

The person who can down their pint and catch up in the shortest time wins
    At all times there'll be 2 pacers and each pacee gets to do a bit of a tempo run for a couple of miles.

The more I'm typing the more interesting this is getting. Better stop.

Have you seen meno either drink or run?! That challenge is unfair on him :D

Seriously though, just incase people are worrying about us, I guarantee that I'll be pacing a steady race for all pacees.

I cannot however speak for my fellow pacers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How are those following the Boards Plan finding the mid week pace runs? Today you had 9 which is your longest one. How did you find it? Do you think your current mp is manageable or a bit too ambitious or conservative?
    I think SeanPuddin did it today and got through it well.
    Anyone else?

• Advertisement

Have you seen meno either drink or run?! That challenge is unfair on him :D

Seriously though, just incase people are worrying about us, I guarantee that I'll be pacing a steady race for all pacees.

I cannot however speak for my fellow pacers....

Both myself and AMK have solid beermile credentials (i.e. we have both done one). You're the unknown in this scenario.
    The only flaw I can see in AMK's plan is that mile 5 is in the in the phoenix park and as far as I know, there is no early house there :pac:

Advertisement