Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Gavlor wrote: »
    Seriously though, just incase people are worrying about us, I guarantee that I'll be pacing a steady race for all pacees.

I cannot however speak for my fellow pacers....

This is starting to sound like the plot to Armageddon.

03.jpg

One of you aint comin' home...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Ososlo wrote: »
    How are those following the Boards Plan finding the mid week pace runs? Today you had 9 which is your longest one. How did you find it? Do you think your current mp is manageable or a bit too ambitious or conservative?
    I think SeanPuddin did it today and got through it well.
    Anyone else?

I did the 9 mile mp tonight, and came through it ok. With 7 miles easy last night and w/u & c/d miles, 18 miles in two nights was a challenge. Aimed to pace it a 8:40 per mile, ended up with an average of 8:42,had one mile of 9:30 with a significant hill in the middle but brought it back ok.

Only real issue tonight was, I had some teething problems with only my second run in new runners. would have stuck with the old pair if I could, but they've given me blister trouble since a wet LSR about 2 weeks ago. Seemed to settle down at the end but was like driving someone else car for the first few miles.

8:40 per mile would be sub 3:50 I think. I don't think I'd have 26 miles in me at that pace, so I think I'll be aiming for sub 4. Which would average a little more than 9 mins/mile.Tbh, I would be over the moon with that, but I know the last few miles of your first marathon anything can happen so I'm trying not to get too hung up on it, will decide on a strategy in a few weeks and just stick to it.

I'm loving the training at the moment and am going slightly mad on rest days as I'm itching to get out, I'm probably going to struggle badly during taper. I think the boards plan is the business, can really feel the progress over the last month especially, and there's a nice amount of variety too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I did the 9 mile mp tonight, and came through it ok. With 7 miles easy last night and w/u & c/d miles, 18 miles in two nights was a challenge. Aimed to pace it a 8:40 per mile, ended up with an average of 8:42,had one mile of 9:30 with a significant hill in the middle but brought it back ok.

Only real issue tonight was, I had some teething problems with only my second run in new runners. would have stuck with the old pair if I could, but they've given me blister trouble since a wet LSR about 2 weeks ago. Seemed to settle down at the end but was like driving someone else car for the first few miles.

8:40 per mile would be sub 3:50 I think. I don't think I'd have 26 miles in me at that pace, so I think I'll be aiming for sub 4. Which would average a little more than 9 mins/mile.Tbh, I would be over the moon with that, but I know the last few miles of your first marathon anything can happen so I'm trying not to get too hung up on it, will decide on a strategy in a few weeks and just stick to it.

I'm loving the training at the moment and am going slightly mad on rest days as I'm itching to get out, I'm probably going to struggle badly during taper. I think the boards plan is the business, can really feel the progress over the last month especially, and there's a nice amount of variety too.

Nice one! Sounds like you're learning a lot about pacing with these sessions.
    Great attitude with your goal time too.
    Best thing of all is that you're enjoying it all so much:D DCM will come and go but running will be with you forever!
    You know you have the option of a few easy miles on rest days but if you feel it's better for you in the long run to take a complete rest then best stick with what you're currently doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Gavlor wrote: »
    Have you seen meno either drink or run?! That challenge is unfair on him :D

Seriously though, just incase people are worrying about us, I guarantee that I'll be pacing a steady race for all pacees.

I cannot however speak for my fellow pacers....

I am soooo gonna have to get fit for DCM.I just can't miss this circus:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

heres a question, since mid august i've been trying to improve my foot strike. Am tryin to angle both feet out a bit to bring the strike up towards the ball of my foot and hence develop the mid-strike 'they' recommend. Have been doin middling well, until last Sunday when doin a 13mile run I noticed right ankle pain which didnt prevent me finishing, but did prevent me doin a recovery monday as it was sore from the off. Am I mad to try to change things at this stage, it hadnt been a painful experience until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

So 15 is your longest run to date? If so then I wouldn't jump to 20 this weekend. Maybe 17, 18 at a push.
    I am concerned though as to why you say that after 15 there was 'no way I could run any further' and 'once I hit 14 I seem to go off a cliff'. You must be running your long slow runs too fast. Have a look at Post 2 of this thread for some guidance on pacing the lsr.

You still have a good bit of time to get in some decent long runs.
    You could do 17 this weekend, then 17/18 the day of the half (add on 2 miles w/u and a few cool down miles) and then do a few 20s (2 or 3 should be fine) and you should be well covered. Your weekly mileage is quite good anyways so that'll stand to you.

Ososlo,

That is grade A advice especially using the half to run build mileage, i usually race all out so trying to do a few easy miles after will be tough, I ran the Frank Duffy in 70:xx but do my LSR at 9.00 minute pace, I have yet to do a LSR with MP, my confidence is a little low after my long runs, e.g. last week i did 10 miles building to 10 mile pace with no problems, but do a 15 mile lsr and i can't move i am totally spent so more endurance runs over the winter for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So went out for the 9miles at pmp last night which was 9min per mile. Going fine but right at 6.5 miles i got a pain in the back of my knee.. so called a halt to that one.. walked home and iced it.. Its a bit stiff this morning so def no running tonight and tomorrow..
    Wondering whether to miss the LSR this weekend too. Really don't want to be losing miles at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I switched it around this week. After LSR on Friday I did a short cycle to town on Saturday and then a longer one on Sunday and Monday but all at a gentle pace. My only issue after Friday's LSR is that my heel on one foot is still sore. Both soles of feet were achy on Saturday but one still isn't right. I've recently started to run with a slight heel lift in that shoe, as was advised to as I wear one daily. It seems to be ok when I run?
    So first run of the week was on Tuesday, it was warm and I think becuase I hadn't been out in a few days I was pushing myself too hard and ended up doing 9 miles at 8.30 and then 6 * 100 m strides. I still don't know why I did this as the aim was for 7 and it was tough on the legs, well everywhere really.
    Last night then I did a 'gentle' 7. Forgot water and again it was warm but got on much better. Avg pace 9 min miles. Was a bit achy for the first few but settled after 3.
    I've also changed my watch reliance to no longer checking distance and time but to pace. A 9 min pace, that went up and down but as an average, seemed ok.
    I probably know the answer to this but then was hoping to get the LSR 15 out of the way tonight as I've a physio tomorrow in preparation for the HM, I'm assuming I shouldn't do this and then if so, when?
    Oh and Wiggle goods arrived. Nuun tablets and the water bottle. Guys you should have opened an online shop for us yourselves :-)
    Finally by letting the Garmin go completely flat and the fully recharge it fixed the faded screen so all perfect again.

SWL wrote: »
    Ososlo,

That is grade A advice especially using the half to run build mileage, i usually race all out so trying to do a few easy miles after will be tough, I ran the Frank Duffy in 70:xx but do my LSR at 9.00 minute pace, I have yet to do a LSR with MP, my confidence is a little low after my long runs, e.g. last week i did 10 miles building to 10 mile pace with no problems, but do a 15 mile lsr and i can't move i am totally spent so more endurance runs over the winter for me.
    Ok so the pace of your lsr is not the issue then I guess.
    Are you well fuelled up prior to the run and well hydrated in the days leading up and in general? Do you feel healthy in general or could you be lacking in something?
    Do you feel a mental struggle more than a physical one on the longer runs?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Don't force the extra miles on top of the half if it doesn't feel right.

So went out for the 9miles at pmp last night which was 9min per mile. Going fine but right at 6.5 miles i got a pain in the back of my knee.. so called a halt to that one.. walked home and iced it.. Its a bit stiff this morning so def no running tonight and tomorrow..
    Wondering whether to miss the LSR this weekend too. Really don't want to be losing miles at this stage..

It could be related to a tight it band so lots of foam rolling I'd suggest.
    It's still only Thursday so you might be fine by Saturday or Sunday.
    Play by ear. ..

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    I switched it around this week. After LSR on Friday I did a short cycle to town on Saturday and then a longer one on Sunday and Monday but all at a gentle pace. My only issue after Friday's LSR is that my heel on one foot is still sore. Both soles of feet were achy on Saturday but one still isn't right. I've recently started to run with a slight heel lift in that shoe, as was advised to as I wear one daily. It seems to be ok when I run?
    So first run of the week was on Tuesday, it was warm and I think becuase I hadn't been out in a few days I was pushing myself too hard and ended up doing 9 miles at 8.30 and then 6 * 100 m strides. I still don't know why I did this as the aim was for 7 and it was tough on the legs, well everywhere really.
    Last night then I did a 'gentle' 7. Forgot water and again it was warm but got on much better. Avg pace 9 min miles. Was a bit achy for the first few but settled after 3.
    I've also changed my watch reliance to no longer checking distance and time but to pace. A 9 min pace, that went up and down but as an average, seemed ok.
    I probably know the answer to this but then was hoping to get the LSR 15 out of the way tonight as I've a physio tomorrow in preparation for the HM, I'm assuming I shouldn't do this and then if so, when?
    Oh and Wiggle goods arrived. Nuun tablets and the water bottle. Guys you should have opened an online shop for us yourselves :-)
    Finally by letting the Garmin go completely flat and the fully recharge it fixed the faded screen so all perfect again.
    I wouldn't do the 15 on a sore foot. You're asking for trouble. 15 miles on a sore foot could put you out of dcm.
    Sounds like a few days off to let it settle would be best.
    See what the physio says re the shoe lifts. Only a professional can advise you on that.
    If you have no pain then I'd say you'd be ok to do lsr Saturday or maybe Sunday at a push if doing the half.
    Let us know how appointment goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

After last weeks knee issue have been taking it easy enough this week on the running front. Physio had said go for 2 shorts runs this week to see how the knee was. So Monday did some strength training, Tuesday did a spin class to see how the knee felt & toning class for leg strength. Yesterday set off for 4 miles and knee felt fine, no problems at all, and legs in generally felt very fresh from no lsr at the weekend & the few days off. This morning did another 4 Miles and again knee felt fine, legs felt a little tired but think that is from the rest of the weeks activities. Slight slight discomfort in the foot of the same leg but dont think its anything to worry about.

Have moved physio app to tomorrow instead of Sat morning so hoping that he will give me the all clear to do a bit of a longer run over the weekend. Am thinking I will stick with the 12 Mile if possible from the HH plan this weekend rather than going for 18/20 miles lsr. I am tempted to try to make up for last weekend but think it would prob be better to just do the 12 Mile at the weekend and easy back into it, especially as I am hoping to do the HM next weekend. I would be a bit afraid of pushing to do 18/20 and being landed back in square one again.

Next week hope to get a few short runs in again during the week before HM on Sat, all going on getting the ok from the physio!

All in all though things are looking up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

How are those following the Boards Plan finding the mid week pace runs? Today you had 9 which is your longest one. How did you find it? Do you think your current mp is manageable or a bit too ambitious or conservative?
    I think SeanPuddin did it today and got through it well.
    Anyone else?

I've had to completely mix everything up this week. I usually do my LSR on Fri so everything starts a day early for me but on Monday between work, kids' after school stuff & a meeting I had to go to on Mon night I didn't get out at all. I did the 9m pace on Tuesday & found it ok probably because I'm letting go of my dream PMP after a couple of difficult LSRs. Having said that, I still did it at the lower end of my PMP range. (This range includes dream, possible, sensible & nightmare scenarios on the day!) Whether or not I could do 26 of them is anybody's guess.

Yesterday I did the 7m that I was meant to do on Monday & felt good. I ended up doing that faster than the previous day, partly because I was in a rush after work to collect kids from school & partly because I entered the HM & I wanted to try & get a few miles closer to HMP to remind myself what it felt like! The legs feel good this morning so hopefully 2 back to back sessions will have no detrimental effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

aquinn wrote: »

I suffer with a sore heel. Its usually fine when running but sore after. Especially after a race. Physio said it was a bit of an Achilles tendon problem and plantar fasciitis. I keep a golf ball under my desk in work and roll my foot on it when sitting. Also use foam roller on my Achilles before and after long runs and ice my heel afterwards. And plenty of calf stretching. Hope it clears up for you!

I also have a parcel wiggling its way to me. Water bottle and a new singlet. Still on the hunt for the perfect shorts for my marathon outfit! And I might just get a spray tan for the big day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks Ososlo & Joleigh, you are much better at looking after yourself then I am. Am even getting lazy with the foam roller as I know it's going to hurt but then end up worse not doing it!
    Fine, will rest tonight :-)
    Marathon outfit I haven't started to plan. Thought all race t-shirts were decent and used to wearing them but disgusted with this years race series one as fit and quality desperate compared to my lovely two from last year. Got a rub on Tuesday night under arm from the Finglal 10km one, nothing compared to Killian's issues though.
    This is my first full year of the race series and now think if and when I finish and get my Marathon t-shirt I'll never wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

One thing that helped me a lot during my PF & sore foot/heel injury was to keep a plastic coke bottle, filled with water, in the freezer. After the golf ball work I switched to the frozen bottle & it provided great relief.

When you're finished, just lash it back in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Joleigh wrote: »
    I suffer with a sore heel. Its usually fine when running but sore after. Especially after a race. Physio said it was a bit of an Achilles tendon problem and plantar fasciitis. I keep a golf ball under my desk in work and roll my foot on it when sitting. Also use foam roller on my Achilles before and after long runs and ice my heel afterwards. And plenty of calf stretching. Hope it clears up for you!

I also have a parcel wiggling its way to me. Water bottle and a new singlet. Still on the hunt for the perfect shorts for my marathon outfit! And I might just get a spray tan for the big day. :D

This is the first mention of a spray tan! I haven't done any long runs with spray tan, should I still risk it for the big day?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

ChadHogan wrote: »
    This is the first mention of a spray tan! I haven't done any long runs with spray tan, should I still risk it for the big day?

I wouldn't risk it without doing a few 18/20 milers with full tan. don't try anything new on the big day ;)

Aquinn, I wore the fingal 10k top on 1 run and felt like I was wearing an orange dress. It was huge. The material isn't as soft as the others. I will definitely be going sleeveless for the DCM! Nice & cool.

Killian I also have the frozen water bottle living in my freezer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Can you attempt it again in the next few days? If you've managed to do most of your lsrs I don't think it's a huge deal to miss one and just continue on with your training and do the next lsr at the weekend as per the plan. If you've missed a few then maybe try do it in the next few days.

and a week later I finally get round to replying!.Yeah ososlo I've done all my lsr's but was away at the weekend & didn't get a chance to have a go at the 20 again. Back into the thick of it this week, so I'll just carry on with the plan & see how that goes.

On another note, what's all this crack with spray tans? Has no one else got the fine, 'half leg' irish tan like I have from wearing those short running tights all summer long :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just completed 10 x Yasso 800 laps for the first time.

Averaged 3mins 56 secs for every 800m. So going by the Yasso theory I should be able do a sub 4hr in Marathon.
    I take it all with a pinch of salt though but it was fun doing something different rather than just running for miles and miles.

I walked for 400m after every 800m. I read somewhere that the 400m rest period should more or less take you the same amount of time as the 800m run and I averaged 3mins 40 secs for every 400m

• Advertisement

All very quiet around here! Everyone's just diligently training away I presume :)
    Anyone doing Athlone and how are yiz fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

:D:D
    All very quiet around here! Everyone's just diligently training away I presume :)
    Anyone doing Athlone and how are yiz fixed?

currently painting my nails in prep for athlone but obviosly ill be going so fast no one will even see them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Firedance wrote: »

currently painting my nails in prep for athlone but obviosly ill be going so fast no one will even see them :-)

Did you decide if you are racing it? A good crew from DAC going as far as I know.

wowzer wrote: »
    Did you decide if you are racing it? A good crew from DAC going as far as I know.
    yeah gonna give it a shot anyway & see how it goes

Best of luck! I'll be expecting an extensive race report!
    Any particular time target or see how you go along?

Best of luck! I'll be expecting an extensive race report!
    Any particular time target or see how you go along?
    thanks!
    I would love to come home with the 2hr pacers, maybe possible if everything goes my way on the day, its very hot out there today & think tomorrow will be similar so expecting it to be tough...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I always get a surprise when I find out that some of you are female.I don't mean that in a sexist way or anything of the sort but I just assume that the majority are male. Which I realize is wrong of me to do so.
    Unless of course we have men on here talking about spray tans and getting their nails done......

Casey78 wrote: »
    I always get a surprise when I find out that some of you are female.I don't mean that in a sexist way or anything of the sort but I just assume that the majority are male. Which I realize is wrong of me to do so.
    Unless of course we have men on here talking about spray tans and getting their nails done......
    Ha ha I'm female for the record :)
    I know what you mean though. It is a pretty male dominated forum in general but I don't think we've ever had as many females on a novices thread! Go the girls!!!!!
    And I want ALL of you to stick around after dcm. Too many people slink off after dcm is done but that's not allowed this year :)
    Right?
    that goes for the guys too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good, I'm glad you decided to race it, it's the right decision. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Don't forget the 'go faster stripes'!! :-)

Good luck & enjoy!

Advertisement