Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm definitely a girl as just back from meeting Peter Mathews who is a champion cross country runner and the pain of my calves being eased out was absolutely sadistic. Unreal pain. Actually feel sick in my stomach from it it was that bad. He even agreed and felt sorry for me! Am told the pain tomorrow will be as bad! Possibly do LSR on Sunday.
    Heel pain is caused by tight calves and to do calf stretches and definitely foam roll and of course to go back which I happily will as the pain can't be as bad as that ever again, hopefully. Hips took a battering too. He recommended the golf ball to ease out full foot and to use the frozen bottle.
    He says I have perfect arches :-)
    On pacer advise he said you don't have to stay within earshot all the time but keep an eye on the balloon, not on top of the guys either! Only then if all is well at about mile 23 and see how you are feeling to break off or keep clinging on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

20 mile lsr this morning, it was tough enough towards the end. We did 4 fast miles in the middle, not my idea :) and I really felt it towards the end but made it home. Really feeling all those miles taking its toll on the auld body, but not long left now so I suppose I just have to try to hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Hi all, enjoying these pages again this year, 17 lsr earlier, average 9.10 per mile, prob a bit too quick, would love to break 4hr dcm, what pace shud I be doing lsr?? Found today mainly ok but think I prob shud slow up??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd imagine you could slow it down a bit alright.

How did it feel wile you were running it? Slightly out of breath or pretty relaxed?

Essentially 4 hour pace is 9:09 so I'd imagine a good time to aim for would be 9:40-10:00 m/m for the LSR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Got to be jealous of those 800m runners:

What’s the furthest you’ve ever run? I think my furthest distance in training is 13km. In competition I think my furthest distance is 1,500m, and that is in the time when I was doing the decathlon.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/sep/12/david-rudisha-800m-running-exciting-interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    All very quiet around here! Everyone's just diligently training away I presume :)

Shamefully enough - no. For the first time in a very long time I just skipped my planned run last night. Didn't even have a decent excuse! Was supposed to be 5 miles and I actually had no motivation to get up off the couch. Had been feeling a couple of niggles during the week since last weekend so just said feck it. I did end up going to bed early and getting 9 hours sleep (most I've gotten midweek in ages) so maybe I needed the night off! Did some foam rolling though...at least that was "training related" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Corrib man wrote: »
    Hi all, enjoying these pages again this year, 17 lsr earlier, average 9.10 per mile, prob a bit too quick, would love to break 4hr dcm, what pace shud I be doing lsr?? Found today mainly ok but think I prob shud slow up??

Or stick to that pace and go a bit faster at dcm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Got to be jealous of those 800m runners:

What’s the furthest you’ve ever run? I think my furthest distance in training is 13km. In competition I think my furthest distance is 1,500m, and that is in the time when I was doing the decathlon.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/sep/12/david-rudisha-800m-running-exciting-interview

Why would you be jealous:confused:

Hi there and welcome!

It all depends on how you felt during that run. Was it a very comfortable pace for you? If you found 9:10 very easy (conversational pace) that would suggest that you could run substantially faster for the marathon.
    Do you have any recent race times you could give us and could you give us a little more information on your running background?
    If you think 4 ish hours is a realistic time for you and not too conservative then you'd be better off running the lsr a good bit slower. McMillan would suggest up to 10:20ish pace.
    Have a read of Post 2 on this thread about pacing the lsr.
    Is it your first marathon?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Shamefully enough - no. For the first time in a very long time I just skipped my planned run last night. Didn't even have a decent excuse! Was supposed to be 5 miles and I actually had no motivation to get up off the couch. Had been feeling a couple of niggles during the week since last weekend so just said feck it. I did end up going to bed early and getting 9 hours sleep (most I've gotten midweek in ages) so maybe I needed the night off! Did some foam rolling though...at least that was "training related" :)

I'm jealous of your 9 hour epic sleep:eek:
    That probably served you better than the run if you needed it and had a few niggles. No harm at all to let the mind and body rest.
    Enjoy your weekend running:)

• Advertisement

20 mile lsr this morning, it was tough enough towards the end. We did 4 fast miles in the middle, not my idea :) and I really felt it towards the end but made it home. Really feeling all those miles taking its toll on the auld body, but not long left now so I suppose I just have to try to hang in there!

Well done to you both! Maybe try leaving the faster stuff 'till the last few miles rather than the middle ones the next time and don't go faster than marathon pace/effort.
    Yeah not that many long runs left now at all. You'll be on the home straight before you know it!
    Are you two doing the half? If so, will you run together? Still aiming for the same DCM time?

Why would you be jealous:confused:

No 20 mile runs. No 22 mile runs.

By my calculation 13km is about an hours running. My run on Saturday will be close to 3 and a half hours and leave me able to do little else for the day.

I enjoy the training and all but it does tend to monopolise my Saturdays.

adrian522 wrote: »
    No 20 mile runs. No 22 mile runs.

By my calculation 13km is about an hours running. My run on Saturday will be close to 3 and a half hours and leave me able to do little else for the day.

I enjoy the training and all but it does tend to monopolise my Saturdays.

3.5 hours of running to me sounds like heaven:)

See how the pros do a marathon training run:) Ryan Hall preparing for Boston Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Very lazy myself this week. Finding it tough being back at work and keeping up the training. Skipped the 8 miles on Wednesday and the 5 miles on Thursday. Did 8 miles this evening. Thinking of upping the 12 mile lsr to 16??
    Good luck anyone doing Athlone

Now off to buy fake tan and nail polish!
    We might stink at the end, but we will look fab lol

Very lazy myself this week. Finding it tough being back at work and keeping up the training. Skipped the 8 miles on Wednesday and the 5 miles on Thursday. Did 8 miles this evening. Thinking of upping the 12 mile lsr to 16??
    Good luck anyone doing Athlone

Now off to buy fake tan and nail polish!
    We might stink at the end, but we will look fab lol

Yeah I think you'd be ok to do that. When was your last lsr and what length was it?

Ha ha yiz'll all be just gorgeous on the day:D I'll post some make-up tips soon for the big one! Waterproof mascara is your friend;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

See how the pros do a marathon training run:) Ryan Hall preparing for Boston Marathon

I assume you're going to "hook up" the non Dublin novices with a hotel room with a kitchen to help with their food preparation the night before and the morning of the race? all part of the mentored thread service???

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I assume you're going to "hook up" the non Dublin novices with a hotel room with a kitchen to help with their food preparation the night before and the morning of the race? all part of the mentored thread service???

ye can all stay in mine:D lol

Yeah I think you'd be ok to do that. When was your last lsr and what length was it?

Ha ha yiz'll all be just gorgeous on the day:D I'll post some make-up tips soon for the big one! Waterproof mascara is your friend;)

Last LSR was Saturday and it was 16 miles so maybe push to 18 even.

Again, it seems fine to me as long as you're doing it nice and easy. When you get to 16 see how you feel. If you've a lot left in the tank I don't see any harm in taking it to 18. Just play it by ear. You should be able to handle it fine.

• Advertisement

Should have asked though if you're doing the half next weekend? If so then it'd be better to keep the lsr shorter to be fresher for it.

Should have asked though if you're doing the half next weekend? If so then it'd be better to keep the lsr shorter to be fresher for it.

No not doing the half.
    Pace for the 8 miles was average 11,20 and for the LSR pace was average 12.20. Both felt very comfortable, not breathless, conversational.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Wondering what to do for my LSR tomorrow. On my plan is a step back to 12 miles but after building up to 17 miles last weekend I feel like I want to do try for 18!
    This week I did 8.5 miles Monday, club speedwork on Tuesday and 7 miles yesterday.
    I'm not doing the half next weekend, my plan is 18 miles for next Saturday so I'm thinking I should stick to with the plan and the 12 miles tomorrow (or just see how it goes!)
    I don't have a foam roller and was wondering if I should get one. Do people use it because their muscles are sore or to prevent their muscles getting sore?
    As for fake tan and nails, better start practicing my DCM hairstyle :)

gingersnap wrote: »
    Wondering what to do for my LSR tomorrow. On my plan is a step back to 12 miles but after building up to 17 miles last weekend I feel like I want to do try for 18!
    This week I did 8.5 miles Monday, club speedwork on Tuesday and 7 miles yesterday.
    I'm not doing the half next weekend, my plan is 18 miles for next Saturday so I'm thinking I should stick to with the plan and the 12 miles tomorrow (or just see how it goes!)
    I don't have a foam roller and was wondering if I should get one. Do people use it because their muscles are sore or to prevent their muscles getting sore?
    As for fake tan and nails, better start practicing my DCM hairstyle :)

I think it's a good idea to have a step back every few weeks. I'd say most plans will have a bit of a decrease in the lsr every 3-4 weeks to give the body a bit of a break. If you've done all the lsrs to date I'd consider sticking with the plan and doing the 12. If you've missed a few or skimmed a bit on them and need the confidence boost then no harm in doing the 18.

Yes get a foam roller:) I'd use it for prevention and cure on a daily basis. There's information on them at the end of Post 1 of the thread. You can get them in most sports shops and Argos.

No not doing the half.
    Pace for the 8 miles was average 11,20 and for the LSR pace was average 12.20. Both felt very comfortable, not breathless, conversational.

Sounds like you're doing it right so!
    You might be underselling yourself on the marathon pace:) but best error on the side of too slow than too fast!

No, felt good throughout, probably need to slow down alright as need to get the miles into the legs, thanks pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

I think it's a good idea to have a step back every few weeks. I'd say most plans will have a bit of a decrease in the lsr every 3-4 weeks to give the body a bit of a break. If you've done all the lsrs to date I'd consider sticking with the plan and doing the 12. If you've missed a few or skimmed a bit on them and need the confidence boost then no harm in doing the 18.

Yes get a foam roller:) I'd use it for prevention and cure on a daily basis. There's information on them at the end of Post 1 of the thread. You can get them in most sports shops and Argos.

12 miles (or so) it is then. The next three weeks are 18, 19 and 20 miles so I'll take the step back in prep for that.
    Will look into getting a foam roller. Checked out a few videos, looks tricky. I'll probably do more harm than good!

Hey, third dcm , maybe I shouldn't on here but enjoy the interaction of all, did frank duffy in 1.19, 10k in 44, previous dcm were 4.16 and 4.09 last year. Sure I'll plug away and hope for the best!

Hey, third dcm , maybe I shouldn't on here but enjoy the interaction of all, did frank duffy in 1.19, 10k in 44, previous dcm were 4.16 and 4.09 last year. Sure I'll plug away and hope for the best!

ha you're a lot more experienced with marathoning than me so:) but you're more than welcome to join the fun!

What plan are you following and what kind of mileage are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I need to get off the stupid fecking internet and go for my run - Laterz kidz.

Advertisement