Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Never went with the set plans! Maybe that's why yet to break 4hrs! Doing 45 miles or so at moment, will build lsr to about 22 by end of sept and then my favourite part of the training- the taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

14 and a bit, its warm out there folks.
    In order to attempt to not be a slave to pace, I ran by HR for the first time, tried to keep things between 150 - 155 and seemed to do so fairly well. I did became a little slave to HR but not as much. Pace averaged at 10.22 which is a little slower than I had hoped, but only by a tiny bit.

Done now, its rugby time!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Ended up doing 22km (13.7 miles) this morning. As it was "only" 22k, I decided to try to run the majority of it at my planned marathon pace of 6m45s per km (I too use km, I tried to switch to miles a while back but didn't like it)
    The majority of the run was fine, had no breakfast before so I had a tiny banana at 10km and a breakfast bar at 15km.
    Ran down Chapelizod Road on the outside of the Phoenix Park - there were lots of people out running in the park. I have never run in there, maybe I will on one of my really long runs.
    Went through the Memorial Park, along by the Liffey. Lovely place, watching the rowers kept my mind off the tiredness which was starting to creep up on me.
    Went up the hill in Chapelizod, heading towards Palmerstown very, very slowly and had to walk a bit at the top and catch my breath.
    Did the last few kms at the planned pace but found it hard. I know there's no way I could do another 13 miles at that pace. So now I'm wondering if I should change my stategy for DCM and go slower. I know on the day I will have fresh legs but it still seems unlikey I can sustain that pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Athlone report: Bad day at the office, very hot very tough, banjaxed & no pb :( will do race report when I get to a laptop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Firedance wrote: »
    Athlone report: Bad day at the office, very hot very tough, banjaxed & no pb :( will do race report when I get to a laptop!

Very warm and clammy today - bad reports from a lot of people in Athlone.

Write it off - it'll not be as warm on DCM day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Another bad day at the Athlone half. Plan was to go out with the 1:50 pacers in sight and be happy with anything around 1:55. First 8 miles went very well I was still in sight of the pacers. Then I fell off a cliff. I seemed to lose my breath and heart rate increased. I slowed way over 10 mins miles and ended up walking for about 200 mts at 11 miles. The 2 hr pacers where on my shoulder now, this spurred me on and I found some strength back in my legs. I started over taking a few people and was back on track for a crack at my pb (1:58:??). Then a poor woman who was about 100 mts ahead of me passed out in the middle of the road. A couple of us stopped and any concerns about time went out the window. We spent about 5 mins or so with her before support team arrived. Off again and finished the last km strong for a 2:03:35 total. Very hot day tough day for most I talked to but the course record was still beaten 69 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Alan30 wrote: »
    Another bad day at the Athlone half. Plan was to go out with the 1:50 pacers in sight and be happy with anything around 1:55. First 8 miles went very well I was still in sight of the pacers. Then I fell off a cliff. I seemed to lose my breath and heart rate increased. I slowed way over 10 mins miles and ended up walking for about 200 mts at 11 miles. The 2 hr pacers where on my shoulder now, this spurred me on and I found some strength back in my legs. I started over taking a few people and was back on track for a crack at my pb (1:58:??). Then a poor woman who was about 100 mts ahead of me passed out in the middle of the road. A couple of us stopped and any concerns about time went out the window. We spent about 5 mins or so with her before support team arrived. Off again and finished the last km strong for a 2:03:35 total. Very hot day tough day for most I talked to but the course record was still beaten 69 mins.
    You hero you:D I presume she was ok?
    You would have gone well below 2 for sure without the drama. Nice to be able to pick it up again and finish so strongly.
    Today is not a true reflection of what you're capable of so don't lose heart.
    Well done.

Firedance wrote: »

Looking forward to the report and well done on finishing what sounded like a very tough race. As AMK says conditions will be a lot more favourable by the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Ososlo wrote: »
    You hero you:D I presume she was ok?
    You would have gone well below 2 for sure without the drama. Nice to be able to pick it up again and finish so strongly.
    Today is not a true reflection of what you're capable of so don't lose heart.
    Well done.

She was taken away by the order of Malta. Pure dehydration. There probably should have being a couple of extra water stations due to the heat. A load of people struggling in the last mile or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi everyone,

The prospect of this marathon is getting very real now. Exciting but also making me a bit (ok, alot) nervous!

Sunday: 5 miles. Legs still feeling heavy after the lsr Friday evening and probably not helped by doing all the driving to/from cork Saturday and Sunday.

Monday: 8 miles. Nothing noteworthy except for a gorgeous moon and lovely reflection in the still water in clontarf.

Tuesday: rest.

Wednesday: football. Must win game so was a tough one. Last of the season so was very conscious of not coming out with an injury. Success!

Thursday: rest. As already confessed I skipped a planned 5 mile run.

Friday: rest. Thought about trying to make up some of the skipped miles but with the lsr early Saturday I decided to stick with my planned rest day.

Saturday: 20 mile lsr. I did it but I found it very tough, much tougher than the 19 of last week. It was much warmer at times than I've been used to recently. Went through alot more water than normal. Wasn't as good at keeping my pace consistent this week so shelved the idea of pmp miles at the end. At that stage I just wanted to make sure I finished and got the distance done. None of them were particularly too fast but because I still haven't definitely decided on my "goal" marathon time they were a bit scattered around the general range. I did some last week and I have the half marathon next week so hopefully that will help. Interesting though - last week by about a 1/3 of the way through I felt confident of finishing and the run going well. Never had that this week, the last half was a mental battle of making sure I stuck it out. I usually always make one pit stop for the toilet and water refill but today I had to take a second one at mile 15 and do some stretching. The foam rolling has helped keep me going recently but I think a sports massage might be needed to give the legs some additional tlc.

Sorry if the weekly ramble rambled on too much this week. Best of luck to everyone else, happy running :)

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »

Saturday: 20 mile lsr. I did it but I found it very tough, much tougher than the 19 of last week. It was much warmer at times than I've been used to recently. Went through alot more water than normal. Wasn't as good at keeping my pace consistent this week so shelved the idea of pmp miles at the end. At that stage I just wanted to make sure I finished and got the distance done. None of them were particularly too fast but because I still haven't definitely decided on my "goal" marathon time they were a bit scattered around the general range. I did some last week and I have the half marathon next week so hopefully that will help. Interesting though - last week by about a 1/3 of the way through I felt confident of finishing and the run going well. Never had that this week, the last half was a mental battle of making sure I stuck it out. I usually always make one pit stop for the toilet and water refill but today I had to take a second one at mile 15 and do some stretching. The foam rolling has helped keep me going recently but I think a sports massage might be needed to give the legs some additional tlc.

Sorry if the weekly ramble rambled on too much this week. Best of luck to everyone else, happy running :)
    Great going laura. Not every run is going to go perfectly but you got through your mental battle and that'll stand to you big time on the 27th!
    Recover well from today. You're doing brilliantly and are well set up for a super dcm. Good idea getting the sports massage to treat the legs.
    Congrats on the football win too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Hey laura, just wanted to say well done on finishing the 20. Had the same issue myself but couldn't go on after 8 miles, so well done to you for seeing it through. Isn't it mad the difference 1 mile extra can make to your mindset, 19 grand, 20....very tough. Still we won't be defeated :)
    good luck with the rest of the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

20 Mile LSR completed this morning, well chuffed. After missing last week was a bit worried, but got the all clear from the phsyio yesterday so off I went this morning.Am home home for the weekend so completely different route and it was nice to run somewhere different, getting sick of the same routes all the time so nice to be out in the country air! Only problem was the heat, even before 8am I could tell it was going to get very warm.

I know it was ment to be a step back week, but I really felt I needed a long run under my belt. Went off a bit fast in the first mile or two, but slowed way down and kept around about 11 pace throughout, and it really seemed to make the difference. Took the gels @ 6, 12 & 18, & as it was such a hot day took on a lot more water than normal. Had left an extra bottle of water where I knew I would pass by again & also ended up popped into the shop for another bottle, but I kept going. Was pretty wrecked by 18, but really wanted to make the 20 so kept going & made it to 20. Felt like I had maybe another mile or two in me so that was helpful, just dont know about another 6!!

Thanksfully there is no chance of it being this warm on the day of DCM which is good, dont think I could hack it! Am planning to do the half next week but not going to get too hung up on what time I manage it in, just want to enjoy it & get a bit more experience of a proper race under my belt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tough couple of days for me. Peak week so mileage is high.

In terms of miles, last few days have been 10/8/9/8/9/22

I think it was too much for me given the heat etc today.

I went through 3 bottles of water and 3 gels. Last few miles my HR was up around 88% even going very slowly. I'm guessing it was a case of accumulated fatigue, dehydration or the warm day.

Anyway done now, time for recovery. I also need to update my log which has been neglected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

20 mile lsr done. Went out about 11am and it was very warm. Did not do a lot of running this week but did a few spins on the bike to keep legs and heart ticking over. I never bring water with me when running as I have nowhere to leave it so decided to take it easy starting off and try to keep the sweating to a minimum. Also to stop my face turning tomato red. Got some shade along the way along the hedges. Did not do any MP miles today so was interested to see how I would find the last 3 miles. It was still a struggle. Glad to have another one in the bank. But how hard will those last 6 miles in the marathon be? Mmm I can see why people say the halfway mark is at 20 miles.
    Got home and drank a couple of pints of water, one with a nuun tablet which I am finding good for recovery.
    What are others doing re taking water? Wondering if I would be better taking some water and dropping it in a hedge somewhere. Would be afraid a dog would piss on it if I left it too low to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

18 miles today for me, pretty happy.I started flagging badly between 13 & 16 but kept moving.

The midweek session took a lot out of me this week, and could still feel it in the legs when I woke up this morning. Plan had said 15 miles for today and I went out with an open mind, thinking I'm might do as much as 20. Settled for 18 as a compromise.

Feeling pretty exhausted but the legs feel better than after any other LSR to date so I suppose that's progress. Weather was hot, nice LSR weather in my opinion, not so much for racing.

Looking forward to some nice easy runs this week and the half marathon next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

20 mile lsr done. Went out about 11am and it was very warm. Did not do a lot of running this week but did a few spins on the bike to keep legs and heart ticking over. I never bring water with me when running as I have nowhere to leave it so decided to take it easy starting off and try to keep the sweating to a minimum. Also to stop my face turning tomato red. Got some shade along the way along the hedges. Did not do any MP miles today so was interested to see how I would find the last 3 miles. It was still a struggle. Glad to have another one in the bank. But how hard will those last 6 miles in the marathon be? Mmm I can see why people say the halfway mark is at 20 miles.
    Got home and drank a couple of pints of water, one with a nuun tablet which I am finding good for recovery.
    What are others doing re taking water? Wondering if I would be better taking some water and dropping it in a hedge somewhere. Would be afraid a dog would piss on it if I left it too low to ground.

Dog piss is full of electrolytes. Excellent for rehydration!

Seriously though, I usually stop at a shop.
    I find the hi 5 gels good in that you don't need water, and would take one every 45 mins to an hour. as long as I'm well hydrated before going out can usually last the guts of 2 hours without a drink at LSR pace.

It does knock my rhythm a little but I prefer that to carrying a bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

An exciting overview of my last few days running:

Tuesday: 0 miles

Wednesday: 0 miles

Thursday: 0 miles

Friday: 2 Miles

Saturday: 0 Miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Laois_Man wrote: »

Look on the bright side, you have 2 more miles than me done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Dog piss is full of electrolytes. Excellent for rehydration!

Seriously though, I usually stop at a shop.
    I find the hi 5 gels good in that you don't need water, and would take one every 45 mins to an hour. as long as I'm well hydrated before going out can usually last the guts of 2 hours without a drink at LSR pace.

It does knock my rhythm a little but I prefer that to carrying a bottle

I took 2 gels and I suppose they do give you some hydration, however little. I do not like taking water either, awkward and you are taking upto a 1/2 kg extra in your hand. Anyway the weather should be cooler from here on in and the need for taking water onboard will be less. In a race I would normally just have a couple of sips at each station. I run in the countryside so shop is not an option. Love the peace and quiet.
    I have been reading that dehydration does have a real effect later in races as, as you sweat your blood volume decreases and thus the amount of oxygen that can be carried to the muscles. Was in P&D book on marathoning I downloaded to the Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I took 2 gels and I suppose they do give you some hydration, however little. I do not like taking water either, awkward and you are taking upto a 1/2 kg extra in your hand. Anyway the weather should be cooler from here on in and the need for taking water onboard will be less. In a race I would normally just have a couple of sips at each station. I run in the countryside so shop is not an option. Love the peace and quiet.
    I have been reading that dehydration does have a real effect later in races as, as you sweat your blood volume decreases and thus the amount of oxygen that can be carried to the muscles. Was in P&D book on marathoning I downloaded to the Kindle.

I've been trying out the hedge and if you search around you'll be able to find one where you can keep the bottle off the ground, should be safe from dogs ... watch out for thorns though! Voice of experience here .....

I hate carrying things along with me when I'm running. If I get to DCM (keeping an eye on a delicate ITB at the mo) I'll have 20 jelly babies in my shorts pocket and otherwise will be replying on the water stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I've been bringing a 500ml bottle of water with me on all my lsr's and now I'm so use to it I forget I'm even carrying it.
    10mile pace run for me today. Got a bit carried away as I've had a tough week with work etc so I gave it socks..(don't give out to me Ososlo!!)
    Anyway new 10mile PB of 1:26
    Very happy as my Frank Duffy 10mile was 1:35
    Going to do a very slow 13mile tomorrow and then take it very easy until next Saturday so I'll be fresh for half Marathon where I'll be aiming for sub 2hr for first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great going laura. Not every run is going to go perfectly but you got through your mental battle and that'll stand to you big time on the 27th!
    Recover well from today. You're doing brilliantly and are well set up for a super dcm. Good idea getting the sports massage to treat the legs.
    Congrats on the football win too!

Thanks ososlo. Wrecked now after it and I'm bloody starving all day. Will take it fairly handy this week in advance of the half next Saturday, will check out the boards plan actually.
    denis160 wrote: »
    Hey laura, just wanted to say well done on finishing the 20. Had the same issue myself but couldn't go on after 8 miles, so well done to you for seeing it through. Isn't it mad the difference 1 mile extra can make to your mindset, 19 grand, 20....very tough. Still we won't be defeated :)
    good luck with the rest of the training.

Thanks Denis. It's funny as well how one can go well and another not at all. On my first attempt at 19 I had to cut it short at 14 - could barely walk another step. Then 5 days later I did the 19 fine. I'm sure your next attempt at the 20 will go much better if you're already up around that mileage. Getting the right pace is definitely important, makes such a difference. We all have bad days at the "office"! Are you doing the half next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

bit of a random running question but someone here may know the answer. At the moment im two sessions a week in the early hours of the morning. But it appears that the sessions are alot harder then the other ones. Im thinking it one of two reasons A) being the simple fact it 1 in the morning and after a 8 hours work day im running B) is that the garmin is not working correctly misjudging the my speed or the distance. The only reason i am not saying its A off the bat that i have run after work before when i was on days and did not feel the way issue was there

Laois_Man wrote: »

Is that due to pain Laois_Man?
    How are things looking now?

I've been trying out the hedge and if you search around you'll be able to find one where you can keep the bottle off the ground, should be safe from dogs ... watch out for thorns though! Voice of experience here .....

I hate carrying things along with me when I'm running. If I get to DCM (keeping an eye on a delicate ITB at the mo) I'll have 20 jelly babies in my shorts pocket and otherwise will be replying on the water stations.

Did you practice bringing lots with you on the lsr to make sure they don't melt or anything? Funny things can happen after 3 hours of running/sweating!

Casey78 wrote: »
    I've been bringing a 500ml bottle of water with me on all my lsr's and now I'm so use to it I forget I'm even carrying it.
    10mile pace run for me today. Got a bit carried away as I've had a tough week with work etc so I gave it socks..(don't give out to me Ososlo!!)
    Anyway new 10mile PB of 1:26

Very happy as my Frank Duffy 10mile was 1:35
    Going to do a very slow 13mile tomorrow and then take it very easy until next Saturday so I'll be fresh for half Marathon where I'll be aiming for sub 2hr for first time ever.

Well, well done on the new pb but keep your eyes on the prize!!! Plenty of time after DCM to start setting lots of new pbs but you've got to tread very carefully for the next few weeks. they really are key weeks to ensure you don't get injured/sick and get to the start line fit and healthy.
    Between the increase in weekly mileage and the increase in the lsr and the races you've been doing, that's a helluva lot for your body to deal with.
    Don't overdo it. That's essentially 2 races in 2 weekends you'll have done (half next week) and not many (even experienced people) would do that so close to a goal race.
    Be careful;)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Thanks ososlo. Wrecked now after it and I'm bloody starving all day. Will take it fairly handy this week in advance of the half next Saturday, will check out the boards plan actually.

yes please do take it easy. Good idea to look at how the taper's handled in the Boards Plan or the Hal Plan for the coming week.

scheister wrote: »
    bit of a random running question but someone here may know the answer. At the moment im two sessions a week in the early hours of the morning. But it appears that the sessions are alot harder then the other ones. Im thinking it one of two reasons A) being the simple fact it 1 in the morning and after a 8 hours work day im running B) is that the garmin is not working correctly misjudging the my speed or the distance. The only reason i am not saying its A off the bat that i have run after work before when i was on days and did not feel the way issue was there

Yeah I'd find sessions harder in the morning than the evening. It's different for everyone I guess but I'm definitely more of an evening runner. It takes a while for me to really wake up.
    I don't think a garmin would be continually faulty. It might happen the odd time if there was some kind of interference perhaps. Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Is that due to pain Laois_Man?
    How are things looking now?

Yes pain. better than Monday, but not much better when not drugged up.
    I thought I was ready to do a few miles last night but had to stop after 2. It's not looking good for me TBH - If I'm lucky, I probably need several more days (if not more) off.

Advertisement