Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yes pain. better than Monday, but not much better when not drugged up.
    I thought I was ready to do a few miles last night but had to stop after 2. It's not looking good for me TBH - If I'm lucky, I probably need several more days (if not more) off.

:(
    Well you have bounced back before when things were bad during this training period so take the extra days off and you might be a new man in a few more days.
    Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ososlo wrote: »
    Did you practice bringing lots with you on the lsr to make sure they don't melt or anything? Funny things can happen after 3 hours of running/sweating!

I wrapped them in a thin plastic bag for last Tuesday's long run. They got a bit slippery in the bag, but didn't damage the shorts, so that'll do (unfortunately dropped a couple of them taking them out the first time) ... I only had 10 on Tuesday so will try again with a full set (that's if I get to do another 'real long run', I'm still monitoring the ITB - though it's still hopeful)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

There will be plenty of jelly babies and other sweets on offer all the way round the course.

There will be plenty of jelly babies and other sweets on offer all the way round the course.

Brilliant!! What a race, to be able to carry nothing at all! :-)
    Now I have to get this ITB under control so I can experience it!

[can take an emergency supply of 10 along just in case]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Are you doing the half next week?[/quote]

Yeah, all going well I will be, it'll be interesting to see how that goes. Hope the weather cools a bit for it!

• Advertisement

=denis160;92187010]Are you doing the half next week?Yeah, all going well I will be, it'll be interesting to see how that goes. Hope the weather cools a bit for it!
    [/quote]

If it doesn't I think it's important that everyone adjusts targets a bit for it. You'd be better off starting off a bit more conservatively for it and picking it up later in the race if feeling good. Take on plenty of fluids too and maybe carry a drink to sip on from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

:(
    Well you have bounced back before when things were bad during this training period so take the extra days off and you might be a new man in a few more days.
    Keep us posted.

No sad face for me.
    Sad face for the woman who has to live with me!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    No sad face for me.
    Sad face for the woman who has to live with me!

God love her! There should be a support thread for partners of injured runners on this forum:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

What are others doing re taking water? Wondering if I would be better taking some water and dropping it in a hedge somewhere. Would be afraid a dog would piss on it if I left it too low to ground.

I drop mine in a hedge the night before. Wrap them in a plastic bag, tied tight & they're always grand. I bring some of those zero tabs with me wrapped in tinfoil in the back pocket & drop them in the bottle ! Finding them good actually.

Alan30 wrote: »
    Another bad day at the Athlone half. Plan was to go out with the 1:50 pacers in sight and be happy with anything around 1:55. First 8 miles went very well I was still in sight of the pacers. Then I fell off a cliff. I seemed to lose my breath and heart rate increased. I slowed way over 10 mins miles and ended up walking for about 200 mts at 11 miles. The 2 hr pacers where on my shoulder now, this spurred me on and I found some strength back in my legs. I started over taking a few people and was back on track for a crack at my pb (1:58:??). Then a poor woman who was about 100 mts ahead of me passed out in the middle of the road. A couple of us stopped and any concerns about time went out the window. We spent about 5 mins or so with her before support team arrived. Off again and finished the last km strong for a 2:03:35 total. Very hot day tough day for most I talked to but the course record was still beaten 69 mins.
    I wonder was this the lady who you helped? If so it's great to hear she's ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yeah I'd find sessions harder in the morning than the evening. It's different for everyone I guess but I'm definitely more of an evening runner. It takes a while for me to really wake up.
    I don't think a garmin would be continually faulty. It might happen the odd time if there was some kind of interference perhaps. Not sure.

Me too, not a morning person. I've been doing a couple of early morning (6am) sessions every week for the past while and at first, I felt like I was dragging myself out with leaden legs... much better now though and really enjoying the quiet and the sunrise, but if I do that Tues and Weds, I can't quite seem to drag myself out of bed on Thurs!

annapr wrote: »
    Me too, not a morning person. I've been doing a couple of early morning (6am) sessions every week for the past while and at first, I felt like I was dragging myself out with leaden legs... much better now though and really enjoying the quiet and the sunrise, but if I do that Tues and Weds, I can't quite seem to drag myself out of bed on Thurs!

Yeah I think it's something we can train our bodies to get used to fairly easily.

I think for those of you who never train in the morning, it's probably a good idea to do a few lsrs around the time of the marathon - 9am. Get used to having the breakfast at the exact time you'll have it for dcm and heading off at the same time for the lsr as DCM kicks off at.

so how about this Parkrun pb annapr?:)

Jealous of everyone who did their LSR's today... need to go to bed early now to do mine in the morning. 'ONLY' 12 miles this week on the HH1 plan, but I am about 2 miles short of schedule for the week so might aim for 14 miles tomorrow. I hope it won't be as humid and hot as today.

Highlight of the day today: PB in St. Anne's Parkrun... broke 26 min for the first time (25:49) and felt great during and after. Expert pacing by Murph who was doing his MP.

Night all!

Yeah I think it's something we can train our bodies to get used to fairly easily.

I think for those of you who never train in the morning, it's probably a good idea to do a few lsrs around the time of the marathon - 9am. Get used to having the breakfast at the exact time you'll have it for dcm and heading off at the same time for the lsr as DCM kicks off at.

so how about this Parkrun pb annapr?:)

You don't miss much Ososlo!!!! I love parkrun so was dead chuffed... actually made it into the top 100 today... Lol

You don't miss much Ososlo!!!! I love parkrun so was dead chuffed... actually made it into the top 100 today... Lol

good woman yourself. Well done today:D Top 100! woo hoo!

good woman yourself. Well done today:D Top 100! woo hoo!

well, to be precise, number 100! and it would have been 101 except Murph let me beat him... but still...

well, to be precise, number 100! and it would have been 101 except Murph let me beat him... but still...

delighted for you! Super time and placing. Take the lsr extra handy tomorrow and cut it short if feeling sore/tired from today. Racing a 5k can take a good bit out of you :)

delighted for you! Super time and placing. Take the lsr extra handy tomorrow and cut it short if feeling sore/tired from today. Racing a 5k can take a good bit out of you :)

Yes Mammy! :-) and I'm also going to bed now (exciting Saturday night!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

15 miler done today in the Phoenix Park, my longest ever run. In hindsight I may still have done this run too fast for a LSR, would welcome any input? The plan was to try 10:30 per mile. Completed it in 2:38:41 (Avg pace 10:35) but wasn't entirely consistent:

M1 - 10:39
    M2 - 10:55
    M3 - 11:07
    M4 - 10:50
    M5 - 10:49
    M6 - 11.07
    M7 - 10:56
    M8 - 10:30
    M9 - 9:41
    M10 - 9:52
    M11 - 9:54
    M12 - 10:55
    M13 - 10:45
    M14 - 10:16
    M15 - 10:22

Had a gel at 5 miles and 10 miles, a fig roll at 13 miles and some wine gums at 14 miles. Definitely couldn't eat too much without water. Not sure why I picked it up so much for Miles 9,10 and 11.

Home and in to a cold water bath and looking forward to a rest day tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I wrapped them in a thin plastic bag for last Tuesday's long run. They got a bit slippery in the bag, but didn't damage the shorts, so that'll do (unfortunately dropped a couple of them taking them out the first time) ... I only had 10 on Tuesday so will try again with a full set (that's if I get to do another 'real long run', I'm still monitoring the ITB - though it's still hopeful)

I dropped my last fruit pastille at mile 17 of a run last weekend - I had been looking forward to it so much as a "snack'. I quickly picked it up....decided on a 5 second rule and ate it anyway. Should I feel ashamed??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I remembered in 2012 that the jellies from the supporters were a lifesaver, even just for the interaction with people and something to take my mind off running.

So being injured in 2013, I bought 5kg of jellies and it was one of the most enjoyable things about the day. While it may be a while off now and without wanting to tempt fate, if anyone is injured you might consider getting on to the course anyway and shouting encouragement at random strangers. it is very rewarding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Been thinking about next week and how to prepare for half on Saturday. Don't want to do too many miles as I want to be fresh for race but don't want to do nothing either.
    I was wondering would a couple of nights cycling be good prep for Saturday? Keep me ticking over but take me off my feet so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

My LSR this week was a step back 13 miles on the plan. Had to do 13.1 though of course to make it a half marathon. :pac: Ended up with an unofficial PB too for a HM 2:13:34 at 10:00 avg pace (hadn't over done it today - just that the PB was set quite some time ago and I'm fitter and lighter now) and was able to take out the last mile @8:36. Quite pleased with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Casey78 wrote: »
    Been thinking about next week and how to prepare for half on Saturday. Don't want to do too many miles as I want to be fresh for race but don't want to do nothing either.
    I was wondering would a couple of nights cycling be good prep for Saturday? Keep me ticking over but take me off my feet so to speak.

If you normally cycle - then cycle. If you normally dont cycle - then dont cycle.

Best prep for a race like this is to keep doing wat you have been doing - keep the same routine, but lower the mileage and/or the intensity.

The body adapts itself to the rigours of training and if it feels its not training - it can react when pushed come race day (at least thats my experience).

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I dropped my last fruit pastille at mile 17 of a run last weekend - I had been looking forward to it so much as a "snack'. I quickly picked it up....decided on a 5 second rule and ate it anyway. Should I feel ashamed??? :)

Brilliant. You know I thought about picking the jelly babies up (three had fallen) but I was in the lovely surroundings of Hyde Park with lots of people around (even at 8:15am!) ... so I left them for the squirrels ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Back in 2012 I made a schoolboy error with some painkillers I had deposited in my back pocket of the shorts. Just dropped them in not wrapped or anything like it. 20+ miles in and when I remembered I had them at the water station on Nutley Lane I fished out a gloppy oozing mess of tablet and sweat.

Took them anyway :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This morning woke up pretty sore, Achilles and right leg in general gave me trouble yesterday.

A bit of stretching this morning and 4 miles at recovery pace. Hopefully a bit more diligence on the stretching side of things will sort me out for Saturday.

4 miles @ 10:27 m/m. HR 73%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

First 20 miles done today hopefully one of many before DCM

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/590197930#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

just in the door from an 18mile LSR with 10 at PMP. Average pace for the run was 9.20 according to my garmin.
    The start of the run was fine hit the wall at around 7/8 miles in but continued on as it was mid lap anyways so was not giving up their. after that no other point made me feel like i was not going to covered the 18 mile. Nice a nice easy week in hope of a 1:45 half next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Well done to you both! Maybe try leaving the faster stuff 'till the last few miles rather than the middle ones the next time and don't go faster than marathon pace/effort.
    Yeah not that many long runs left now at all. You'll be on the home straight before you know it!
    Are you two doing the half? If so, will you run together? Still aiming for the same DCM time?

I'm not doing the half, Nicsx is. After all our lsr's together I'm not sure we will run DCM together :( I can't see me being able to hold the pace for 26 miles so I'm thinking about playing it safe and going with a slower group. Maybe it's a lack of confidence in myself, cold feet or just pure fear of burning out and not being able to finish at all. Found the last 2 lsr's tough, tougher than it should be at this stage.

Advertisement